A little late to the discussion, but...

I think SEED had the worse animation of any Gundam series, period. I'll never forget when I saw MS just SCOOT (not move, but slide across while remaining absolutely still) across the screen. Given today's animation and SEED's budget, that was simply ridiculous  <_<

386890[/snapback]

When was this???? Define "today's animation and SEED's budget". Cuz TV budgets aren't that high for public television. And besides resue of animation, I don't recall a MS scooting off screen.

You know what, frack all of those Gundam series. I think G Gundam was the greatest and unique series of all time because it had a tournament fight theme to it and there was action guaranteed on every episode unlike in those other series where there's all talk and no action in some of those episodes. :p

You know what, frack all of those Gundam series. I think G Gundam was the greatest and unique series of all time because it had a tournament fight theme to it and there was action guaranteed on every episode unlike in those other series where there's all talk and no action in some of those episodes. :p

386912[/snapback]

Previously I had been in some doubt, but now it is certain that you have no taste.

And I also would be excited about a faithful Gundam Sentinel. It would have to be OVA though, or else it would stretch the original material a bit too far.

Edited by Phyrox

Don't get me wrong Phyrox, I like Gundam but not the others that came out after Gundam Wing because for some reason IMHO, these Gundam series lost all their spunk with their redundant plot's. I actually like the original U.C Gundam series as well as G Gundam but like I said before, I'm not fond of the Gundam series that came out after G Wing for the same reasons why a vast majority of people stopped watching Power Rangers, they kept on coming out with a new and sh*ttier version of the series rough every year. No offense and disrespect to anyone but I was just being honest.

Edited by Phalanx

A little late to the discussion, but...

I think SEED had the worse animation of any Gundam series, period. I'll never forget when I saw MS just SCOOT (not move, but slide across while remaining absolutely still) across the screen. Given today's animation and SEED's budget, that was simply ridiculous  <_<

386890[/snapback]

So are you talking about SEED or SEED Destiny?? Their animation is similar but their story is way different, one also have way more reuse scene than the other.

Also you talk about MS slide across while remaining still. Where is this?? Are yo forgeting that in some situations a MS don't really need to keep containly moving intro to get somewhere. Adn good example is space.

But if you mean the Doms sliding across then I can tell you that those MS are suppose to be able to do that.

I'd also like to see either Sentinel or Crossbone animated.

(...)

If they keep the story intact, keep the designs for characters, keep the mechanical design and, above all, stick to traditional animation... it will rock.

386814[/snapback]

IIRC, I read somewhere that Sentinels was never animated because of the complexity of the mecha designs: if this story's involved into a new project, there's good chances it will be CGI because once your mecha's modeled and textured all you have to do is to put animation keys and run the computing of the sequences instead of drawing all details of the mechas onto every cell one by one...

I understand it may disappoint some watchers but if it's as well done as the Gundam Evolve series or MS Igloo, it can kick some major ass :)

Otherwise, I'd also like to see some Crossbone Vanguard or, better, the original project of the F91 TV series...

Another Gundam thing that I'd like to see is the very original vision of Tomino about Gundam, without any MSs but just starship trooper-ish powered armors instead, and absolutely no passage on Earth but all the story happening into 'the Universe' like he did in his novel. Some sort of adaptation of the 'For the Barrel' manga basically, with or without revisited designs, as long as they're well done I don't really care in fact...

Edit: spell thingies

Edited by Gui

Sort of a crossover question, but would a VF-0's SWAG Armour be similar to the concept of Phase Shift Armour?

387947[/snapback]

Kinda (loosely). SWAG armor would make VF armor as good as a tank, without the added weight costs. AT munitions (anti-tank rounds, RPGs, HEAT rounds, etc...) would still penetrate a VF. In Gundam, PS armor (or Lunar titanium/Gundarium/etc...) would not suffer those problems or would suffer less from those types of munitions.

From Gunota:

First Gundam ikimaasuuuu!

Rumors have been floating for the past couple weeks, but it is official now. Sunrise has announced the long awaited Region 2 Mobile Suit Gundam TV series DVD. Details for the DVD boxset and individual volumes:

DVD-Box 1 (Ep 1-25, 6 DVD) : Dec 12, 2006 - 37,800yen

DVD-Box 2 (Ep 25-43 5 DVD): Jan 26, 2007 - 31,500yen

Individual DVD volumes will come out on Feb 23, 2007.

Rental DVD will come out first on July 28, 2006.

Early reservation ends on Sep 14, 2006. Customer reserving DVD-Box1 before Sep 14 will also receive 1/200 scale RX-78-2 Limited Version action model.

The official site will come online April 25.

Bandai Visual's press release. According to the press release, the Gundam franchise accounts for 20-40% of total sales every year for Bandai Visual.

¶ 5:06 AM

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Now that the original 0079 Gundam is FINALLY getting a R2 release hopefully they'll allow the other regions to get a proper subbed version after that. I'd love to have an actual Mobile Suit Gundam box set with subtitles.

Edited by Anubis

Now that the original 0079 Gundam is FINALLY getting a R2 release hopefully they'll allow the other regions to get a proper subbed version after that.  I'd love to have an actual  Mobile Suit Gundam box set with subtitles.

388705[/snapback]

'Bout time....

From Gunota:

Rumors have been floating for the past couple weeks, but it is official now. Sunrise has announced the long awaited Region 2 Mobile Suit Gundam TV series DVD. Details for the DVD boxset and individual volumes:

Early reservation ends on Sep 14, 2006. Customer reserving DVD-Box1 before Sep 14 will also receive 1/200 scale RX-78-2 Limited Version action model.

Bandai Visual's press release. According to the press release, the Gundam franchise accounts for 20-40% of total sales every year for Bandai Visual.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Now that the original 0079 Gundam is FINALLY getting a R2 release hopefully they'll allow the other regions to get a proper subbed version after that. I'd love to have an actual Mobile Suit Gundam box set with subtitles.

388705[/snapback]

I too wonder if this means that we'll finally get a new, proper release of the TV series in Japanese, with English subtitles, with the proper opening and closing credits, and with the missing "Doan's Island" episode? The hangup about MSG not being released on DVD in Japan was a major cause in our DVD release being messed up.

Hopefully MS Igloo and the Zeta trilogy will eventually see a release, too. :)

Edited by Apollo Leader

I forget....R2 is where? 

388762[/snapback]

Courtesy of Anime on DVD.com

regionmap.gif

One more question, is there a currently avaliable real release of MSG, with the original English dub or Japanese audio with English subs?

Yes. MSG is currently avaliable with an English dub-only.

Yes. MSG is currently avaliable with an English dub-only.

388769[/snapback]

Not to mention that the episode of "Doan's Island" was left off (Tomino though the US market could do with out it) and after the 3rd DVD, they started using the Cartoon Network opening and closing instead of the Japanes opening and ending. <_<

Besides the chopped episode, this R2 DVD box better not use the crappy sounding new sound FX they ruined the R1 DVDs with.

388788[/snapback]

That could be a problem....Tomino wasn't too happy with the original soundtrack way back when MSG came to the states. I don't know if there's been any changes to the sound FX or music since he said that but it could be a possibility that they have been changed.

From Gunota:

Thursday, April 06, 2006

388705[/snapback]

This is the very very first Gundam am I correct?

Another Gundam thing that I'd like to see is the very original vision of Tomino about Gundam, without any MSs but just starship trooper-ish powered armors instead, and absolutely no passage on Earth but all the story happening into 'the Universe' like he did in his novel. Some sort of adaptation of the 'For the Barrel' manga basically, with or without revisited designs, as long as they're well done I don't really care in fact...

Edit: spell thingies

387945[/snapback]

For the Barrel was a basic retelling of the GUndam series, only instead of Gundams, they were called 'Gunboys'.

MAHQ for Mecha

'Newtypes' were called 'Streamers' and colonies were called 'barrels' (Hence, For the Barrel). It was run by Newtype for a time but then disconitnued, a shame since it seems much more interesting than any other rendition of the Gundam series. Perhaps it's because Junji Ohkubo does the mecha designs (as opposed to more re-copied Okawara designs), which gives the series an origional, metallic, functional feel to it.

Needless to say, if For the Barrel was done as an animated production rather than a manga, I'd pick it up in a hearbeat reguardless if I had to import it or not. Ohkubo's designs deserve life outside of Steel Battalion.

Stargazer info from Gunota

SEED C.E. 73 Stargazer site opens

Info from the official site which opened today:

Organizations:

Deep Space Survey and Development Organization (DSSD) - A group founded to survey & develop regions beyond the orbit of Mars. The Earth Alliance, PLANT, and neutral powers cooperated in its establishment though it is neutral with regard to the Alliance & ZAFT and has special jurisdiction. The fundamental principle is "The advancement of frontiers": to transcend all countries, organizations, religions, and races, sending that doctrine from the human species out to the far-reaches of space.

Phantom Pain - A special military force that answers to Logos, Blue Cosmos' supreme governing organization. The unit is a private army organized by Blue Cosmos. Blue Cosmos, thus far not getting the depended on military power from the Earth Alliance, formed the group as a way of directly embodying their personal intentions. Phantom Pain's parent organization is comprised of Alliance personnel & equipment. Notices issued from the Earth Alliance's upper echelon, in situations where goods and personnel are requested by Phantom Pain, are informal but are to be responded to without delay. With that assistance, Phanton Pain can take in provisions and furnishings wherever they go. But only Logos and representatives of Logos possess command authority over them. Even within the Alliance, only a tiny few of its leaders are aware of the particulars regarding Phantom Pain. As a private army, they aren't bound by the armistice treaty entered into by the Alliance and ZAFT. The treaty prohibits both the Alliance and ZAFT from having N-Jammer Cancellers, nuclear weapons, Mirage Colloid, loading ships with Phase Shift armor, and possessing nuclear-powered mobile suits but Phantom Pain disregards that and executes operations using ships that carry such things. And since they are funded behind the scenes by Blue Cosmos, the equipment they get is radical but extravagant.

Mecha:

GSX-401FW Stargazer - Affilated with DSSD.

GAT-X105E Strike Noir - A mobile suit specializing in close-range combat deployed by the Earth Alliance's 81st Independent Mobile Battalion (aka Phantom Pain). It's based on the X105 Strike and piloted by lieutenant junior grade Sven Cal Bayan. Integrated performance improvement measures on the unit were conducted by Actaeon Industries.

Characters:

Selene McGriff - 28-year-old female Coordinator. One of the engineering staff on the DSSD engineering development's GSX-401FW Stargazer Project. "Mankind must set out to space." Those words are Selene's guiding principle. As is the case with many DSSD staff, she was born and raised in space and her parents are also members. Bright but has a strong tendency to be somewhat egotistical. Once she decides what her goal is, she won't be happy until she achieves it and, that being the case, she won't choose a way of meeting her objectives without great effort. Strong-minded and unafraid of being criticized for her methods. Aggressive at times and, as a result, much of her nature is to disregard her partner's ideas though if someone tries that with her, she'll be reluctant and impassionate. Nevertheless, since the DSSD is an organization with a high ratio of eccentrics and freaks among the personnel, Selene hasn't especially changed.

Sven Cal Bayan - 19-year-old male Natural. A lieutenant junior grade in the Earth Alliance's 81st Independent Mobile Battalion (Phantom Pain). Pilot of the mobile suit GAT-X105E Strike Noir. Part of a special combat MS platoon with another 2-3 people. Orphaned due to an incident when he was very young. Afterwards, he became affiliated with Phantom Pain as an elite combat member for Coordinator extermination warfare. What's the reason for his intense hatred of Coordinators...and what is the past of this cruel fighting machine?

Still too little info to even tell what the show will really be dealing with. Is Phantom Pain trying to stop this DSSD? Still too vague.

I wonder if the Stargazer is going to be a huge ass Gundam? I hope that they don't show it in mags and all that till it appears in the show....I want for it to be a surprise. :D

389567[/snapback]

Given the unusual release schedule of this OAV....who knows when we'll see it.

This could set up future SEED series. DSSD sounds like a group of people who might have a few extremists amongst them (the quote "'Mankind must set out to space.' Those words are Selene's guiding principle."). The last time we saw something like that, we saw large objects falling onto Earth.

The treaty prohibits both the Alliance and ZAFT from having N-Jammer Cancellers, nuclear weapons, Mirage Colloid, loading ships with Phase Shift armor, and possessing nuclear-powered mobile suits but Phantom Pain disregards that and executes operations using ships that carry such things.

I have yet to see any EA-type ship mounting Phase-shift armor on it. Wonder if Strike Noir runs on a nuclear powerplant...

Besides the chopped episode, this R2 DVD box better not use the crappy sounding new sound FX they ruined the R1 DVDs with.

388788[/snapback]

That could be a problem....Tomino wasn't too happy with the original soundtrack way back when MSG came to the states. I don't know if there's been any changes to the sound FX or music since he said that but it could be a possibility that they have been changed.

388807[/snapback]

I know they re-recorded the dialog track for the movie trilogy's R2 DVD release, but to change iconic sound effects such as the Zaku's mechanical sound when moving and the Gundam's beam rifle firing is plain retarded. Imagine if the latest edition of Star Wars episode 4-6 changed all the light saber sound effects to something that sounds like metal clanking instead.

This could set up future SEED series.

[VADER] NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! [/VADER]

SEED's already had more animated material than any other AU Gundam, and in my opinion, it's been the worst of the AUs. It needs to die off (espececially after Destiny's craptastic ending) and make way for either an all new AU Gundam series that doesn't suck, or a return to to UC, as long as it's NOT another One Year War story.

This could set up future SEED series.

[VADER] NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! [/VADER]

SEED's already had more animated material than any other AU Gundam, and in my opinion, it's been the worst of the AUs. It needs to die off (espececially after Destiny's craptastic ending) and make way for either an all new AU Gundam series that doesn't suck, or a return to to UC, as long as it's NOT another One Year War story.

389679[/snapback]

Destiny went horribly, badly wrong and we're all in agreement of that much.

But it started so well and I'm willing to give them another chance to use what they've laid out to tell a good story.

All this new stuff sounds interesting, out beyond mars, ignoring the technology treaties etc.

I missed it... what is the release schedule for Stargazer?

Heh heh, I keep thinking starblazer instead.

389718[/snapback]

That we are not sure of. Being an OAV, we are not sure what the release schedule is like. The 1st episode will be shown at the Shizuoka Hobby Show in May. The releases will be avaliable online as well.

But it started so well and I'm willing to give them another chance to use what they've laid out to tell a good story.

This is what bugs me the most about GSD. Not to turn this into a I-hate-GSD issue, but something with the staff and Bandai had to play an issue after the beginning which lead to that mess. And considering the things I've heard about the production (and as such, seen on screen), a lot of people are to blame and not just any 1 person. But anyways....

It needs to die off (espececially after Destiny's craptastic ending) and make way for either an all new AU Gundam series that doesn't suck, or a return to to UC, as long as it's NOT another One Year War story.

Well, I hate to disappoint, but we're not getting just any OYW story...we're getting the original with the R2 release of MSG.

Edited by azrael

So what you're saying, is instead of Gundam you want Robotech II: The Sentinels. Glad we cleared that up.

Nope but being the most-developed of the gundam universes isn't it time to move on from constant war over the same issue?

Maybe they could implement aliens in the SEED series. We've already got what looks like a transforming valk in Seed. (those orb mecha) :p So already I'm seeing macross/robotech themes. (pop idol, gundam that looks like a valk, "genetic engineering going out of control" theme)

You know how they showed that alien whale in the first series? (seed) This kinda reminded me of macross 7 when Basara is singing to the space whale. :D

Now what if they combined the genetic engineering humans have been doing with alien life to make an entirely new race of people? All this would bring into question the importance of retaining the rare extinct species of human (old types will be like the endangered species) and how 1 race (co-ordinators; even though they are humans too) can be thought of as being a natural "predator" to another race due to thier ability giving them advantage over the other species robbing them of jobs, attention, and making it harder for naturals to compete in the jungle let alone make a unique path for themselves.

In SEED Destiny the whole theme was how there is no fate or destiny because nobody can predict or plan for every single factor for complete control. Random things happen (like Athrun getting with a different women as opposed to being destined to be with pink haired girl or cagalli which we were all expecting as an audience to be "the perfect match", but instead he ends up with another girl altogether) so you can never tell if actions you take no matter how well thought out, will result in everything going according to plan.

Now in this new era of experimentation and humans having all this technology, what I want is for some experiment to go wrong and the human race to make an even better race of human, which eventually backfires on both sides for wanting to expand beyond earth and claim other planets as thier own. (usually advances in tech lead to wars that involve that advanced race using its power to increase its sphere of influence no matter what the war was about - humans are greedy phuckers and eventually want more. The world is not enough.)

Man shouldn't always be right, and automatically assume because they are more evolved than another race they can just take and take as they please as all lifeforms have right to exist and it should be assumed that our genetic makeup is only a portion of our existence and that there is a spirit inside living things. So what you have is this new war against the earth by the aliens against them overreaching, and the human exploration involves discovery of ancient civilisations on other planets giving a warning to future settlers to stay on earth and not settle to other worlds.

Of course co-ordinators are thirsty for more knowledge and ignore the warnings and start exploring and finding more and more things to study. All this tech becomes black technology which the government has been hiding and then leads to an escape at a lab of an alien-human hybrid. (project objective was to evolve humanity to a new level - bringing out the psychic powers of humans for use in war) Problem is these aliens are not merely physical beings (think of the mulians from rahxephon) and have a free will, so they; being pissed off decide to turn against co-ordinators for not heeding the ancient warnings and this leads to a new war between these spirits who've inhabited certain humans, and the united earth feddies and co-ordinators who are ill equiped to take them on.

The only people who can save humans are the alien sympathisers who have given up thier freewill to be used in the experiments to find out more about the human race. These people are the true new types and it is possible that some of these people (having a good balance of sense of justice but feelings for lesser lifeforms) were once on earth long time ago and forgot this was thier original home. Some of them had planted seeds on earth and after generations forgot what they had planted (they were god to us essentially) and surprised to see what has happend to thier original creations. This explain why some coordinators have the SEED factor (a mode which lets them kick ass) and some humans don't. The less evolved people without seed factor were the native humans, while the humans with the seed factor (which has nothing to do with genetics) are tapping into thier god-like abilities which these aliens once possessed. (but who are now evolved beyond matter to become energy beings unable to appear to humans unless inside a host)

The aliens conquer earth, but the human-sympathiser aliens fight against these evolved types with the belief that humans are thier own kind so it would be like killing your own children for breaking a law. Essentially the good aliens win allowing man to sin, and keep living on, while the bad aliens go underground occasionally let out to punish the human race when they get out of control as a form of crowd control. This is where the bad aliens purposely choose a host that has a lot of emotions of anger and bitterness since it will be easier to control them if motivated by revenge. It is still up to humans how they want to behave (they have the freedom to forge thier own destiny) but if the world itself is beyond saving that is when the bad aliens win and given more power and allowed to have thier way. (the humans' own mind is what determines how much control these spirits are allowed to have over us)

What I would like to see is a science fiction series that depicts humans as more than the physical makeup and give a more spiritual meaning to life. To me the mecha themselves are just the tools of war, and to be honest it is tiring seeing only humans at war for stupid stuff rather than working together. The whole "evolved human" thing needs an answer as to WHY? HOW? did some of these guys have these powers while others don't? The "aliens possessing" people idea at least brings a new twist on the gundam mythos and maybe they can work this into the religion of blue cosmos. Maybe paint them as being involved in ancient rituals and old ideals and tradtions that have been kept for centuries due to warnings the aliens had left on earth before they evolved into a mind energy in a spirit world where they united as a single being or god. (rather than as a seperate being thinking individually, they made peace long ago and formed a single mind to communicate thought instantly like a brain)

So this works as BC motivation for wanting to stop the co-ordinators from expanding into space for the sake of these ancient warnings, (co-ordinators are not in harmonic balance with nature) and explains the Blue Cosmos sabotage of genetic experiments to make humanity too proud and daring of itself for its own good and instead, focuses on preserving what is natural (since humans have thier own destiny to forge which should be unique from what the former inhabitants of earth was). This time they might be painted as 'good guys who are just extreme' rather than evil, and bring the balance back to the middle. (that there is a force in space with a will like in star wars but that is up to humans how they wish to use it)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I wonder if the Stargazer is going to be a huge ass Gundam? I hope that they don't show it in mags and all that till it appears in the show....I want for it to be a surprise. :D

389567[/snapback]

Given the unusual release schedule of this OAV....who knows when we'll see it.

389619[/snapback]

Heh, given its name, I won't be too surprised if it has a huge telescope mounted somewhere on it... :D

Phantom Pain sounded to much like Titans. I wish they would stop reusing plot devices, but it's kinda given.

This could set up future SEED series. DSSD sounds like a group of people who might have a few extremists amongst them (the quote "'Mankind must set out to space.' Those words are Selene's guiding principle."). The last time we saw something like that, we saw large objects falling onto Earth.

389619[/snapback]

:D :D

Not too sure. I haven't finish watching G:S yet (and to say nothing of G:SD), but G:S seems to have a sympathetic Coordinator slant. Even odds that DSSD is a "peaceful" exploration mission (with a Gundam on board, yeah right..), and that the evil and misguided Phantom Pain just trying to kill Coordinators.. kinda flat story actually.

I have yet to see any EA-type ship mounting Phase-shift armor on it. Wonder if Strike Noir runs on a nuclear powerplant...

389619[/snapback]

Didn't the ArcAngel have PS armour on it? And it's almost certain the Strike Noir has a nuclear reactor. It's a Phantom Pain MS, and Phantom Pain aren't bound by the treaty. It's one quick way to show how evil and deviant Phantom Pain is.

Didn't the ArcAngel have PS armour on it? And it's almost certain the Strike Noir has a nuclear reactor. It's a Phantom Pain MS, and Phantom Pain aren't bound by the treaty. It's one quick way to show how evil and deviant Phantom Pain is.

389818[/snapback]

Archangel had Laminate armor, not PS armor. Since there isn't any real data on Strike Noir, we can't say if it does have a N-Jammer Canceller yet. Hence the passing thought.