1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

G Gundam went from the absolute bottom of my list as a kid to tippity top as I grew up.

Same for me, I totally didn't get the tonal shift going from wing to G as a kid, but as I got older my taste for super robots grew I came to really love G. It's a great show in terms of doing what it's trying to do, you just have to accept that it's not trying to be a gundam series. 

59 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

G Gundam went from the absolute bottom of my list as a kid to tippity top as I grew up.

Wing was my introduction to Gundam... and G Gundam one of the last pre-00 Gundam shows I saw in full.

What the bloody hell happened between 1994 and 1995?  Gundam went from a veritable buffet of well-written, hotblooded manliness to five effeminate young men who are legitimately prettier than most of the girls in the show morosely debating the politics of one naive straw pacifist who looks manlier than they do between bouts of killing more people than smallpox for no particular reason.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin VI: Rise of the Red Comet Trailer #2.

Japanese

Now there's a Gundam show worthy of interest. :) 

10 minutes ago, Hikuro said:

This is what peaks my interest, not that build divers crap.

Ditto.  IMO, Gundam Build Fighters and Gundam Build Divers are expressions of what's wrong with the Gundam franchise... they're exactly the sort of teaspoon-shallow, blatant toy commercial anime series that Yoshiyuki Tomino fought tooth and nail to prevent the original Mobile Suit Gundam from being turned into.  It's not a story, it's a collection of 24 minute advertisements for MSV Gunpla liberally garnished with in-jokes.

I'm probably more partial to forgive Build Fighter/Divers for being a blatant toy commercial since I'm an old Transformers fan :lol:. As long as a show is fun to watch and has good mech designs I can usually excuse the real reasons it exists. It's thanks to shows like Build Fighters we can get passion projects like Gundam the Origin OVA and hopefully a full Origin show next year for the 40th. Of course those are heavily marketed to sell models as well.

Normally Gundam OVAs are some of my favorite parts of the franchise, but Origin has been a complete snoozefest for me. The Origin is trying to make me care for these characters, but some of their dialogue and overly bombastic character animation ruins some otherwise more serious or touching scenes. These are late 70s characters and there was bound to be some funkyness to them, but it's a bit much for me. 

As for as Build Fighters is concerned, I liked the first season and it showed some interesting story concepts that went beyond just being a 24 min toy commercial. The first season had a lot of heart and much better animation than it had any right to have. They could have gone further into Reiji's world with a true sequel, instead we got Try and that was just rehashing the first season. I'll wait and see with Build Divers. 

This might be an absurd criticism, but I absolutely loathe that they're still using the same sound effects that the original show did. I mean in general, mecha anime have been using the same stock sounds in perpetuity, but still... it gets a bit more annoying when it's Gundam, the supposed god-king, the pillar franchise of the entire genre.

2 hours ago, SuperHobo said:

Normally Gundam OVAs are some of my favorite parts of the franchise, but Origin has been a complete snoozefest for me.

Yeah, pretty much in the same boat here.  I'll go on record as saying that I wasn't super into Thunderbolt, either.

But maybe I'm just grumpy.  I accept the Build series for what they are, but it feels like it's been awhile since a Gundam show came out that I really liked.  Maybe since Unicorn?  G-Reco and IBO didn't do it for me, and while I liked the first arc of Age and didn't mind the second, the third arc killed it for me.

2 hours ago, SuperHobo said:

Normally Gundam OVAs are some of my favorite parts of the franchise, but Origin has been a complete snoozefest for me. The Origin is trying to make me care for these characters, but some of their dialogue and overly bombastic character animation ruins some otherwise more serious or touching scenes. These are late 70s characters and there was bound to be some funkyness to them, but it's a bit much for me. 

I'll admit, as much as I like Mobile Suit Gundam: the Origin for its return-to-form storytelling and its dedication to lavishing attention on some neglected parts of Universal Century history... the faithful recreation of the retro late 70's character designs does look more than slightly out of place at times when juxtaposed against the modern animation-level mobile suits and backgrounds.  That and how EVIL Char is in the Gundam: the Origin version of events.  Char in the original series was definitely no saint, but he at least hovered around "Noble Demon" territory.  Gundam: the Origin's Char runs on "No back left unstabbed" and is WAY more cruel and sociopathic.

Whatever its faults, Mobile Suit Gundam: the Origin feels like its main goal is to tell a story and all that noise about gunpla is secondary.  That alone is enough for me to excuse a LOT of sins on its behalf.  I don't particularly care if the story plays Gundam tropes dead straight or radically defies formula, as long as the story's engaging it'll get a pass from me.  That's why titles like the Build Fighters and Build Divers series leave me cold... the story's not the point, it's just steering you to whatever new MSV design goes on sale next week.

36 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I'll admit, as much as I like Mobile Suit Gundam: the Origin for its return-to-form storytelling and its dedication to lavishing attention on some neglected parts of Universal Century history... the faithful recreation of the retro late 70's character designs does look more than slightly out of place at times when juxtaposed against the modern animation-level mobile suits and backgrounds.  That and how EVIL Char is in the Gundam: the Origin version of events.  Char in the original series was definitely no saint, but he at least hovered around "Noble Demon" territory.  Gundam: the Origin's Char runs on "No back left unstabbed" and is WAY more cruel and sociopathic.

Whatever its faults, Mobile Suit Gundam: the Origin feels like its main goal is to tell a story and all that noise about gunpla is secondary.  That alone is enough for me to excuse a LOT of sins on its behalf.  I don't particularly care if the story plays Gundam tropes dead straight or radically defies formula, as long as the story's engaging it'll get a pass from me.  That's why titles like the Build Fighters and Build Divers series leave me cold... the story's not the point, it's just steering you to whatever new MSV design goes on sale next week.

Origin is another gundam show that I really want to like because I enjoyed the original 0079 series and getting more meat to our characters sounds like it would be very interesting to me, but it's leaving me lukewarm. It could also be that that the direction is lacking that snappy punch I like to see in other gundam shows. 

3 hours ago, kajnrig said:

This might be an absurd criticism, but I absolutely loathe that they're still using the same sound effects that the original show did. I mean in general, mecha anime have been using the same stock sounds in perpetuity, but still... it gets a bit more annoying when it's Gundam, the supposed god-king, the pillar franchise of the entire genre.

I dunno about absurd but there are iconic sounds to Gundam that people would complain about if they were changed (beam rifle, zaku monoeye, the warning beeps). They did mess around with new effects in the late 90s remaster of the MSG trilogy but I still like the original better. 

Original 

Remaster

I kind of really despise the animation in origin. not the retro 70's character designs, but every time you see a ship or MS doing anything. it just looks so janky and weird to me.

Edited by anime52k8

2 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

I kind of really despise the animation in origin. not the retro 70's character designs, but every time you see a ship or MS doing anything. it just looks so janky and weird to me.

I think it might be, at least partly, that the CGI is animated at a significantly higher framerate (60? 30?) than the characters and other "traditionally-drawn" parts of the show. It looks more like a cel-shaded video game, juxtaposing against the anime parts that typically animate at between 6-12 frames per second. I dunno... There are other aspects to it that I just don't like, like how everything has very heavy, cartoony lining... except headlights, jet exhaust, other things that produce light. The overabundance of bright blue (especially for said light-producing objects) has plagued UC Gundam from the moment they decided to go with this style of animation. It's all very shiny and technically impressive, but it never quite gels together the way a good production should.

I'm watching some of IBO, and it occurs to me that the animation there is more bearable despite being lower quality. There's less discrepancy between the CGI mecha and the anime characters.

(But also I just don't like a lot of the UC stuff anyway, so... yeah...)

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Based on it's premise, I was actually expecting to hate Build Fighters, but somehow wound up really enjoying it.

On 4/5/2018 at 3:36 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

I strongly disagree that Char is some type of "noble demon" If anything he has always been presented as a twisted evil sociopath. From the way he deals with Garma to dropping his Zabi feud to go after Amuro only to go back and kill Kycillia on a whim.

By Zeta he basically goes out of his way to sabotage and abandon the AEUG cause all over a petty grudge with Haman. The way he treats Mineva is creepy at best and you get the feeling he'll put a bullet in her head given the chance.

By Char's Counterattack he's dropping asteroids on earth killing thousands if not millions. Not because he truly believes in his father's cause of moving humanity into space or to take revenge for Lahlah's death, but just to draw Amuro out into a final battle just to see who has the bigger balls. There's also the fact he basically nudges and manipulates selfish brat Quess into becoming a new type weapon just because he can.

I always thought of Char as sort of an avenging antihero character in the old series. Whenever fellow soldiers died he seemed to care, but he also wanted vengeance against the family that ruined his own family. To me he was the one that ended the war. Without the gundam and Zeon having discovered the use of new types the war could have had a different outcome if Char hadn’t been the one to actually end the war when he did. I lked his change of heart in zeta to become more of a hero, but his past still played a big part in what was going on. His change in CCA to become a tyrannical pedophile was mostly from the cyber newtype enhancements messing with him.

2 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

I strongly disagree that Char is some type of "noble demon" If anything he has always been presented as a twisted evil sociopath. From the way he deals with Garma to dropping his Zabi feud to go after Amuro only to go back and kill Kycillia on a whim.

During the One Year War, as long as your surname wasn't "Zabi" Char/Casval was depicted as a reasonably honorable, competent, and caring commander in the Principality's armed forces.  He cared enough about his subordinates to not only try to prevent them from making potentially fatal errors, but also to at least try to rescue them when possible.  Unlike a LOT of Zeon soldiers he treated civilians and even enemy soldiers with respect and dignity, he never engaged in the kind of gleeful killing of noncoms that the Zabis did, and he was forthright enough to even basically give Kycilia a warning as to his intentions.  (Grudge notwithstanding, he seemed to actually genuinely like and/or respect the few Zabis who were decent people like Garma and Dozle.)

He was still a bad guy, but he was a bad guy with some actual standards in a series where most Principality soldiers were cackling puppy-kickers or at least the kind of a-hole who'd hit a woman.

By Zeta he basically goes out of his way to sabotage and abandon the AEUG cause all over a petty grudge with Haman. The way he treats Mineva is creepy at best and you get the feeling he'll put a bullet in her head given the chance.

It's not a petty grudge, he goes straight-up thermonuclear when he discovers Haman is using Mineva as a puppet in the hopes of rebuilding the Principality of Zeon.  That's one of the signs that Char/Quattro hasn't jumped off the slippery slope yet like he does in Char's Counterattack.  He spends almost the entire first two-thirds of the series trying to advise people in ways that will prevent them from repeating his mistakes as Char.  

His treatment of Mineva is basically a "oh come on, this one hasn't even DONE anything don't turn her into another one I'll have to do away with!".

By Char's Counterattack he's dropping asteroids on earth killing thousands if not millions. Not because he truly believes in his father's cause of moving humanity into space or to take revenge for Lahlah's death, but just to draw Amuro out into a final battle just to see who has the bigger balls. There's also the fact he basically nudges and manipulates selfish brat Quess into becoming a new type weapon just because he can.

Yeah, by Char's Counterattack Char has jumped off the slippery slope completely thanks to his frustration with the Earth Federation's corruption and his kooky dad's ideals being held up by biases against spacenoids.  He's reached his personal despair event horizon, and is basically crafting one elaborate do-or-die scenario where either his ideals triumph or he's put out of his misery by Amuro.  You get the feeling he knows he's suffered moral decay to the point of acting like Gihren Lite, and wants someone to stop him.

I've always felt CCA was a shitty character assassination that served no purpose but to justify one more Char vs Amuro fight, except that fight wasn't even good enough to justify the existence of the movie.

oh, would you look at that, another Dynames Family variant for bandai to not make a toy or kit out of. But hey, there's also another Exia derivative, because we certainly don't have enough of those yet. :rolleyes:

5ad255450d204_gundam-exia-Repair-IV(1).thumb.jpg.9bdcd7c1a1d2473f6ad360f5e8ebfe56.jpg

honestly, I almost like the Exia R4. I love the R3 design, and when the movie first came out I thought it would have looked really cool to stick the Qanta's shield thing on the R3. If only it didn't have the funky mutant left arm. 

Also, How do you have a Dynames R3 when there wasn't, to my knowledge anyways, a Dynames R2?

^ Oh. But there is indeed a Dynames Repair II from Gundam 00 10 “Re:vision” as per Gundam Wiki. ;) 

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/GN-002REII_Gundam_Dynames_Repair_II

And also, there’s a new Erde and Aker is now a member of Celestial Beings? New movie? New series? Live Drama as per wiki page?

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_00_Festival_10_"Re:vision"

960DD356-BD58-4B41-90D2-2099A1B9BC38.jpe

587F61ED-33A7-4314-88D4-89099B5D09D6.jpe

Edited by no3Ljm

15 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

^ Oh. But there is indeed a Dynames Repair II from Gundam 00 10 “Re:vision” as per Gundam Wiki. ;) 

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/GN-002REII_Gundam_Dynames_Repair_II

And also, there’s a new Erde and Aker is now a member of Celestial Beings? New movie? New series? Live Drama as per wiki page?

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_00_Festival_10_"Re:vision"

l'd like to point out that the Wiki page for the Dynames RII was created AFTER I made my post so... :p Also, alien-human hybrid Graham is a sexy motherf***er.

5 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

l'd like to point out that the Wiki page for the Dynames RII was created AFTER I made my post so... :p Also, alien-human hybrid Graham is a sexy motherf***er.

Ok ok. :lol: But I have to admit that Dynames design really begs for a Metal Build figure. ^_^ 

As for the Exia R4, I’m sure there will be a MB figure for that near in the future, but that’s where I really need to draw a line if I need another one. :rolleyes:

hints at a new series? Some other continuation project? The OTHER best character in 00 returning from the grave?!?

BTW, when's the next big anniversary for wing? 2020? Please Bandai? :rolleyes: