Gundam Plamodel Thread - II

Yikes! Whenever I get my example, I'm still sticking with laziness and will keep it in Unicorn mode, hopefully with the exclusive Beam Gatling Guns!!

Unicorn.jpg

But, yeah, can't wait to see some full write-ups.

**EDIT**

Some blogs have been starting the build-ups and my worries that the Unicorn plates would not fit snugly enough and let some Destroy-mode peek out seem unfounded:

http://3dayslater.cocolog-enshu.com/photos...007/12/11/7.jpg

Edited by GRAND CANNON

Yikes! Whenever I get my example, I'm still sticking with laziness and will keep it in Unicorn mode, hopefully with the exclusive Beam Gatling Guns!!

Some blogs have been starting the build-ups and my worries that the Unicorn plates would not fit snugly enough and let some Destroy-mode peek out seem unfounded:

Twin gatling guns look great. Too bad this comes exclusively for those who preorder a special edition of Gundam Unicorn Book. I am not sure how we get those from outside of Japan.

My main issue is that transforming antenna won't stay closed when in unicorn mode. Kit photos we see use non-transforming antenna for unicorn mode. Also, sides of the head need to reattach during transformation process which makes this kit disqualify as a perfect transforming kit contraly to Bandai's claim. Not that this is a big deal...

Edited by konimon

IIRC, the original MG (ver. 1) was a nightmare. Posing was poor. Proportions were wrong.

They weren't that bad. I know as I have two of them (got them for five bucks each at a con). I've built one as my G-3. I agree that the posability is lacking (heck, pretty much non-existent [especially in the legs after a hot day in the car]). Especially compared to the Mk-II ver 2.0 I built after it.

Propertion-wise, she looks fine to me, especially compared to the arch enemy toy I have. She looks pretty good next to my Mk-II. Even if she is in a far less dynamic pose.

All in all, they're definitely way past their prime, and nothing compared to the OYW versions (going by the pics), but hardly a nightmare.

Though, the price was right in my case. I still don't know what to do with the second one. Any paint scheme ideas?

Thanks for the rundown, Grand Cannon. I'd love to put a OYW in my G-3 scheme.

Twin gatling guns look great. Too bad this comes exclusively for those who preorder a special edition of Gundam Unicorn Book. I am not sure how we get those from outside of Japan.

Indeed.

If they are smart, they'll release it as as add-on (ala Armored Core weapons) quickly. Otherwise, some entrepreneurial GK will beat them to the punch. :lol:

Btw, just saw this at Gunota: HG Gundam Astrea

Edited by godfather

If anybody is interested dalong.net has the first part of his review for Unicorn Gundam up.

I'm a bit disappointed in the less than usual amount of articulation that this MG Gundam has.

But for the unique feature this Gundam has I'm willing to sacrifice this. Can't win'em all as they say...

anychance of some advice please

im looking at getting another gundammodel kit and my sister said she will get me one for xmas

so what one do i go for, i already have the pg wing zero, which looks good but carnt display due to no stand and being back heavy

so im looking at one of these two, which one would be good to get

im not going to paint them or glue them etc as i havnt the skills of that, im going to start next year, by getting all the equiptment and getting cheap models to do, i still have 2 macross models in my room which i want to do aswell

so here they are

http://www.robotkingdom.com/services/eshop...&CatID=1_17

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=018

or unless theres some more or others that would be worth getting instead

only reason i like these 2 is beacuse one has a stand and lights up and the other has a nice look to it hen all the frames are around him for repairs

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Got a Unicorn, but haven't got around to building it jet.

You should check out this thread over at hobby fanatics (further down the bottom).

There also seem to be another mod (HJ), although I must admit that I'm absolutely clueless

at the moment as to what exactly has to be done for any of the mods.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys.

I was kindly redirected to this thread.

I have just finished the Mobile Suit for Master Grade Wing Zero - I still have to build the wings and weapons...

Anyways - other than having the golden crown snap (:( stupid newbie fingers!) I am very well pleased with this set - it's my first ever Bandai toy, and first ever Gundam and first ever MG kit.

However - I have the urge to panel line it and sand it down a bit. I used clippers to get rid of the most egregarious pieces of plastic that were jutting off the parts - but a tad bit of sanding won't hurt.

Anyways - can I just use a pencil to panel line? What are the pros and cons?

VFTF1

I just took the whole of yesterday + Valentine's day to complete snapping the parts together for Gundam Unicorn. This kit is one of the most complex kits I've built and it is awesome. After building it up it feels chunky, solid and heavy. I haven't attempted to "transform" it yet but while building it with all the tiny small moving parts I realised how smart the kit was designed. The top shoulders is abit loose though and I plan to super glue them later. Going to start with the accesories later. I'll post pictures after i'm done detailing it with the 10001 "warning" decals that came with it. Ver. Ka. indeed. ;)

Kind of wondering if anyones bought one of the Double-Oh kits yet? I've been really interested in the 1/60 Exia since I had fun with the last 1/60 I had built 2 years ago....which is probably now in some dump.

There's an in-box review of the 1/60 Exia here: Linky!

From Gunota:

MG Gelgoog Ver. 2.0 - mass-production type, April

MG Strike Gundam + Sword Striker & Launcher Striker - April, 5,250 yen

HG Gundam Nadleeh - April, 1,260 yen

HG Gundam Throne Drei - April, 1,680 yen

BB Senshi Sangokuden Koumei Re-GZ - April, 630 yen

In Action!! Offshoot Guren Mk II - Summer

In Action!! Offshoot Gloucester - Cornelia custom, Summer

GFF Gundam Mk III - May

Gundam 00

GN-X - New model MS equipped with a GN Drive,

10 of which were each given to the Union, AEU, and HRL. First appearing in episode 20, the HRL's 10 GN-Xs repel the 3 Gundam Thrones.

Design by Kanetake Ebikawa.

I just bought my first Gundam after 2 years break :lol:. Finally my wife gives me green light so I buy HG Gundam Throne Eins. The kit is pretty stable even when I deployed the GN launcher to maximum. I'll post some pic when I have the chance. My next wish list is probably the TR-05 Gaplant or other kit with big guns :lol:

Hmmm....so Unicorn is a good MG kit. What about Turn A? I always had an interest in that one.

Only problem with it is the V-fins. They are really fragile especially in the hinge area where it connects to enable you to fold it into the unicorn horn. I was really careful with mine but during my 2nd transformation it broke. :(

A tad annoyed by it since i can't fix it with glue or cement. (yes i tried. The surface is too small to mend)

You have seen the current oil prices right?

Hear about it on the news every morning on my way into work and see the prices at the local gas stations. By my work it's 3.60 for primiume gas. That's the highest it's ever been there. I still remember in highschool it was like 1.25...I'm really missing those days cause now it's getting to the point I just can't afford a full tank of gas cause it's costing me 60 bucks to fill up. And I got a "compact" sedan.

I decided to break my budget a little bit and was gonna pick up unicorn and turn a at the local hobby shop. Sadly they were ust about cleaned out and all that was left was infact Turn A. However the lady working there said she was getting a giagantic shipment of Gundam kits by friday and said the one I was looking for should be in that stock...along with some other "interesting" looking kits she said.

They've got a shelf dedicated to those who bring in their kits to donate...I've thought about giving up my customied RGM unit since it's one of the much older kits that I managed to pull off a very impressive customization.

Anyways, gonna play some Turn A Music and build the kit.

UPDATE:

I'm actually 3/4ths of the way done with the body of Turn A...I'm gonna sort of make it pre-show looking...add some detail on there that wasn't in the series. For instance the middle of the chest where it's basically a backwards "T" is white instead of blue...I loaded missiles instead of either leaving the area empty or sticking in a cow...and I'm gonna put it's WD-M01 on the shield and none of the militia crap on it like the mustace or the Earth militia symbols. That should make it sort of unique.

Also, the rub on Turn A transfer is crap...I couldn't get it to fixate on the right spot at all, came close and got have of it. And the canopy blows! I sure hope it holds in place.

Hm, figures pretty big too I wasn't expecting that. If it's that size in 1/100 scale, then I can ust image how big a WaDom would be in comparison.

Edited by Hikuro

Okay so here's my thoughts on Turn A:

A decent kit that is uniquely designed which is either loved or hated by the Gundam fanbase. However it has cried MasterGrade treatment since the line began. Sadly though there are some gribes which I wish were attended before it's roll out.

1) The lack of leg movement. Because the joints are so tight on the knees and overal leg, it'll tend to pop out of place from the hips because they don't use the traditional ball socket hips like many models. This means being able to move it around and pose is truely a pain in the ass.

2) Shoulders have great limitations. nearly all of the kits I've come acrossed, can reach all the way to it's back and pull out the beam saber itself (except the very old kits)...Turn A can not. While I love the idea of it's beam sabers being hidden behind the shoulder armor and can "pop" up for standby, the arms themselves can't seem to reach back and grab it without some sort ofmanipulation of the armor on the shoulder.

3) The Rub on transfers are useless. You really don't need them considering the Turn A had little of no decoration like any of the other MS's in history. The only thing distinguishing for marks would be the Turn A symbol on it's forehead.

3) Canopy is crap! This thing wont stay in it's spot if you move it just a slightest way. Boooo!!!!

4) Lack of detail in some areas, and what feels like overexagerated in others. The arms and legs have the most amount of detail for panel lining and it can get kind of bothersome to handle. However the shoulders, head, parts of the chest and cockpit area have little or no major detail making some areas fantastic to look at, and others blah.

Overall...for a MG kit it's lacking in what we've seen recently in the last 3 years, but for a Turn A kit, it's not bad at all. I wouldn't pay over 35 dollars for it though cause it feels like I'm playing with old style of an MG kit and not something we've seen with like for instance OYW RX-78-2 etc.

Now...I wonder if I could do some decent stop motion with this kit.

Ah, fixed the shoulder problem so now that's able to rotate to satasfaction, still the hip connections are bad...that's a big dissapointment.

Anyways, a question I had again for the Unicorn...is it about as big as the Nu Gundam which is a fairly tall MG, or is it like the others, somewhere between 6-8 inches tall?