Distinguish Between 1/48 Version

ominous

I have a few Yamato 1/48 valks., how can I tell what version they are? I have: VF-1A Valkyrie Mass Production, VF-1S Roy Focker, VF-1A Hikaru Ichijo, VF-1J HIKARU ICHIJO, VF-1S ICHIJO HIKARU, and VF-1A MAX. Could someone show me.....???? Thanks...

i think only the 1st and 2nd issues of hikaru 1A and roy 1S had any real difference.

the 1st issue had nosecones that fall of easily cuz there was no guides to hold the part in, later fixed...and also the wing flaps fell off easily in the 1st issue as well...and the 1s had crooked skulls.

other than that, I think they're identical.

Yamato VF-1 InterComparisons

Ok guys, grab a coffee and a comfortable seat. This is a short “essay†to assimilate all the little tidbits of information together to discern all the differences between the releases and re-releases. Here we go.

Now, the ones that you don't want to get unless really desperate are the 1st production run of the VF-1A Hikaru and VF-1S Focker. They have the black boxes with the Velcro on the two bottom corners. Concerning the VFs themselves, they have wing flap and nosecone problems, Fockers usually have a fuselage gap problem, but not on many. Joints are also stiff too. The nosecone also tends to fall off easily and the elbows do not stay stable when flexed to a 90 degree angle. I think that's it. Oh yeah, and the Skull is crooked on one of the VF-1Ss tailfins. The VF-1S canopy also has problems staying upright, and the headrest is straight/flat surfaced, not curved.

Let's call the VF-1A Hikaru and VF-1S Focker 1st production run the 1st generation of 1/48 VF-1s.

Now with the second production run of the VF-1S Focker and Hikaru VF-1A have the improvements. These came out after the VF-1A Max and LV, so let's talk about them first. These are what I like to call the second generation of 1/48s. VF-1A max and LV have several structural improvements over the 1st generation. They came out at about the same time, so even though they have a difference, I would like to keep them together.

The VF-1A Max was the first to come out after the VF-1S Roy Focker. It has the hard plastic pilot only with blue accents instead of red or yellow. But the most important things are that there is no gap in the fuselage, stable 90 degree elbow flexion, redesigned nosecone (addition of two horizontal tabs to the radar and corresponding grooves in a revised internal nosecone redesign), improved wing flaps that only go in one direction and don't pop loose do easily. The canopy problem that was prevalent on the VF-1S Focker is fixed from here onwards.

The LV featured all the improvements to the 1/48 line but is the only valk to be panel lined and weathered, and includes the first time ever rubber pilot.

Up until this point the headrest is flat design and all the boxes have Velcro in the corners.

I would like to classify new valk variants from now on as the 3rd generation of 1/48s. This includes the VF-1S Hikaru and the VF-1Js.

The VF-1S Hikaru was released after the Max and LV. It featured all the improvements of the 1/48s so far but is the First valk to incorporate three things: the first canon rubber pilot, curved headrest in cockpit and loose airbrake.

Next up came the reissues of the VF-1S Focker and the VF-1A Hikaru. Features all the improvements of the second generation of the 1/48s but now have no Velcro on the boxes (actually, there have been a few reports of Velcro on these reissues, Yamato probably just used up leftovers) and now feature a curved headrest like the VF-1S Hikaru. The thing is, Yamato kept the original hard plastic pilots. But, all the other things were fixed, such as the crooked skull on the VF-1S.

Continuing on the third generation of 1/48s was the VF-1Js of Hikaru, Max and Millia in that order. Hikaru was the only one to have an option of VF-1J only or a coupled FAST Pack with his valk, Max and Millia you have no choice with. Feature all the improvements of 1/48 seen so far. There are only a few structural differences and features of these 1/48s compared to the DYRL ones.

The "elbows" of the forearms are "U-shaped" instead of flat like the DYRL? Valks. Nice touch I reckon. Also, they feature the rubber TV pilots and rubbers fixed pose hands. There is a slight colour change between Hikaru and the lovebirds, a slightly lighter shade (?) of white. FAST Packs that come with the VF-1Js are coloured differently from the rest. Hikaru has a slight grey-green shade all round on has FAST Packs. Max and Millia have the same, but the NP-FB-01 Backpack Booster Unit on Max and Millia are painted with their respective colours. The NP-AR-01 Arm Units are also redesigned for the TV valks. There is no option of a ROX-2A Strike Beam Cannon for the TV valks although you can slap one on from a DYRL? FAST Pack issues if you have any to spare. (Interesting to note that even though there is a general consensus that boxes should not have Velcro by now, there were still a few people that had them even on their Millia's, which was the latest of the VF-1Js).

And of course, recently we have the 2nd reissue or 3rd production run of the VF-1S Focker due to high demand. Pretty much the same as the 2nd production run or the 1st reissue, but the dreaded crooked skull was back again, although this time you have to sit and look hard to see that it is crooked. Again, there are a few exceptions.

Hope that covers the differences. ^_^0 B)

Ok guys, grab a coffee and a comfortable seat. This is a short “essay†to assimilate all the little tidbits of information together to discern all the differences between the releases and re-releases. Here we go.

Now, the ones that you don't want to get unless really desperate are the 1st production run of the VF-1A Hikaru and VF-1S Focker. They have the black boxes with the Velcro on the two bottom corners. Concerning the VFs themselves, they have wing flap and nosecone problems, Fockers usually have a fuselage gap problem, but not on many. Joints are also stiff too. The nosecone also tends to fall off easily and the elbows do not stay stable when flexed to a 90 degree angle. I think that's it. Oh yeah, and the Skull is crooked on one of the VF-1Ss tailfins. The VF-1S canopy also has problems staying upright, and the headrest is straight/flat surfaced, not curved.

Let's call the VF-1A Hikaru and VF-1S Focker 1st production run the 1st generation of 1/48 VF-1s.

Now with the second production run of the VF-1S Focker and Hikaru VF-1A have the improvements. These came out after the VF-1A Max and LV, so let's talk about them first. These are what I like to call the second generation of 1/48s. VF-1A max and LV have several structural improvements over the 1st generation. They came out at about the same time, so even though they have a difference, I would like to keep them together.

The VF-1A Max was the first to come out after the VF-1S Roy Focker. It has the hard plastic pilot only with blue accents instead of red or yellow. But the most important things are that there is no gap in the fuselage, stable 90 degree elbow flexion, redesigned nosecone (addition of two horizontal tabs to the radar and corresponding grooves in a revised internal nosecone redesign), improved wing flaps that only go in one direction and don't pop loose do easily. The canopy problem that was prevalent on the VF-1S Focker is fixed from here onwards.

The LV featured all the improvements to the 1/48 line but is the only valk to be panel lined and weathered, and includes the first time ever rubber pilot.

Up until this point the headrest is flat design and all the boxes have Velcro in the corners.

I would like to classify new valk variants from now on as the 3rd generation of 1/48s. This includes the VF-1S Hikaru and the VF-1Js.

The VF-1S Hikaru was released after the Max and LV. It featured all the improvements of the 1/48s so far but is the First valk to incorporate three things: the first canon rubber pilot, curved headrest in cockpit and loose airbrake.

Next up came the reissues of the VF-1S Focker and the VF-1A Hikaru. Features all the improvements of the second generation of the 1/48s but now have no Velcro on the boxes (actually, there have been a few reports of Velcro on these reissues, Yamato probably just used up leftovers) and now feature a curved headrest like the VF-1S Hikaru. The thing is, Yamato kept the original hard plastic pilots. But, all the other things were fixed, such as the crooked skull on the VF-1S.

Continuing on the third generation of 1/48s was the VF-1Js of Hikaru, Max and Millia in that order. Hikaru was the only one to have an option of VF-1J only or a coupled FAST Pack with his valk, Max and Millia you have no choice with. Feature all the improvements of 1/48 seen so far. There are only a few structural differences and features of these 1/48s compared to the DYRL ones.

The "elbows" of the forearms are "U-shaped" instead of flat like the DYRL? Valks. Nice touch I reckon. Also, they feature the rubber TV pilots and rubbers fixed pose hands. There is a slight colour change between Hikaru and the lovebirds, a slightly lighter shade (?) of white. FAST Packs that come with the VF-1Js are coloured differently from the rest. Hikaru has a slight grey-green shade all round on has FAST Packs. Max and Millia have the same, but the NP-FB-01 Backpack Booster Unit on Max and Millia are painted with their respective colours. The NP-AR-01 Arm Units are also redesigned for the TV valks. There is no option of a ROX-2A Strike Beam Cannon for the TV valks although you can slap one on from a DYRL? FAST Pack issues if you have any to spare. (Interesting to note that even though there is a general consensus that boxes should not have Velcro by now, there were still a few people that had them even on their Millia's, which was the latest of the VF-1Js).

And of course, recently we have the 2nd reissue or 3rd production run of the VF-1S Focker due to high demand. Pretty much the same as the 2nd production run or the 1st reissue, but the dreaded crooked skull was back again, although this time you have to sit and look hard to see that it is crooked. Again, there are a few exceptions.

Hope that covers the differences.  ^_^0  B)

384987[/snapback]

That was awesome. Thanks for the info!

To add to kensei's "essay", the 1st generation valks Hikkie 1A and Roy 1S seemed to have a problem with the elbow joints where the the last "click" could not be achieved for a 90 degree angle. I'm not sure if they fixed this in the newer releases of Roy, but this problem is not present in my Max 1A and Hikaru 1S.

It may be a tiny problem but some poses i require that final "click". >_<

Hope that covers the differences.  ^_^0  B)

384987[/snapback]

To add to kensei's "essay", the 1st generation valks Hikkie 1A and Roy 1S seemed to have a problem with the elbow joints where the the last "click" could not be achieved for a 90 degree angle. I'm not sure if they fixed this in the newer releases of Roy, but this problem is not present in my Max 1A and Hikaru 1S.

385165[/snapback]

Great work!!

385165[/snapback]

...and the elbows do not stay stable when flexed to a 90 degree angle....

384987[/snapback]

I have said that in the second paragraph.

Reisues by my counts, but I could be wrong so correct me:

VF-1S Roy - 5 re-issues

VF-1A Hikaru - 3 re-issues (3rd issue was super short release. 4th one coming in Mid April)

VF-1A Max - 1 or 2 issues ... this was such a large issue it may actually be one

VF-1A Low Visability Limited Edtion - 1 issue

VF-1S Hikaru - 2 re-issues (3rd was planned as 2nd issue was sold out quick but was not released yet or will be with the 4th VF-1A Hikaru).

VF-1J Hikaru - 2 re-issues

VF-1J Hikaru Super - one issue

VF-1J Max Super - one issue

VF-1J Millia Super - one issue

VF-1A Cannon Fodder - one issue

New VF Variants:

VF-1A Low Visability 2.0 - 1 issue

VF-1J Stealth - 1 issue

VF-1J Stealth Super - - 1 issue

Yap, should be pinned and make kensei as the resident keeper of this thread. Just keep updating the info with each realease. That would be very usefull to people bidding on Ebay.

great works. :)

This should be pinned and then locked.

385115[/snapback]

385165[/snapback]

384987[/snapback]

385201[/snapback]

I just took the arms apart and correctly lined up the gears. That did make me mad at first but easily corrected. :D

385165[/snapback]

384987[/snapback]

385201[/snapback]

Ahh...so you have. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Should I pin it now, or wait until it's "refined" as kensei said?  Maybe add pics of the differences?

391875[/snapback]

Ouch, I don't have a camera! :(

But this thread should be one for feedback and I'll add the necessary improvements.

But if it is sufficient, then you are welcome to pin it.