Aircraft Vs Super Thread! 2

Nied

As for legless - I bet English Electrics little speed demon could still show its younger namesake a thing or two when it comes to going really fast...  :)

414384[/snapback]

I think "legs" usually refers to range/endurance, not speed, when talking about aircraft.

414411[/snapback]

I know; but honour demanded some defence to be offered. :)

Too bad, I think neither th -22 or the -35 deserve the name Lightning.

in fact, given the cost overruns and the long lead times, they should've been named:

"never shoulda been" and "never will be"

414518[/snapback]

well raptor fits it well, it was already out dated when it came out. worse when it has pentium 3s for processors in it damn dinosaur.

f-22 became the "raptor"  because some generals kid likes dinosaurs

414443[/snapback]

Errr, don't suppose you have something to back that up? The name is in keeping with the USAF's tradition of using a Bird of Prey to name their fighter jets.

I doubt some sudden fad on the part of the offspring of an over-paid, desk-flying, armor-in-the-form-of-medals-and-campaign-ribbons-wearing, checked-his-common-sense-at-O3, know-it-all could seriously be considered as good cause for naming an aircraft like that.

414443[/snapback]

Errr, don't suppose you have something to back that up? The name is in keeping with the USAF's tradition of using a Bird of Prey to name their fighter jets.

I doubt some sudden fad on the part of the offspring of an over-paid, desk-flying, armor-in-the-form-of-medals-and-campaign-ribbons-wearing, checked-his-common-sense-at-O3, know-it-all could seriously be considered as good cause for naming an aircraft like that.

414585[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

414443[/snapback]

414585[/snapback]

i saw a discoverychannel type show that said that. problem with this evidence?

Thought Lightning would've been an OK name for the F-22. Hated that it called Raptor, just because the Raptor dinosaur got popularised in the Jurassic Park movie. Anyway, weren't the real Raptors only about the size of Chickens?

And Lightning is definitely not a suitable name for the F-35 IMO. I can think of many suitable names, but none of them fit to mention in polite company.

Graham

Thought Lightning would've been an OK name for the F-22. Hated that it called Raptor, just because the Raptor dinosaur got popularised in the Jurassic Park movie. Anyway, weren't the real Raptors only about the size of Chickens?

And Lightning is definitely not a suitable name for the F-35 IMO. I can think of many suitable names, but none of them fit to mention in polite company.

Graham

414603[/snapback]

P.O.S.?

Graham

414603[/snapback]

P.O.S.?

414604[/snapback]

HELL YEA!

Graham

414603[/snapback]

Raptor is just another word for bird of prey (from the latin). Velociraptors are, if I remember correctly, about the size of dogs. Bigger than chickens, smaller than the things in the movie.

414603[/snapback]

The Raptors in Jurassic Park should have been the size of chickens, and were in the book. However, shortly after filming was completed (according to Bob Bakker, anyway), a type of raptor was discovered which was roughly the "movie" size.

Boeing has McDonnel Douglas now, so they had more options for choosing a "traditional" line of names for the F-22. Pretty big deal, IMO, since Boeing has a history of airliners and bombers than fighters.

Eagle, Phantom, and yes, even Hornet.

Choosing a bird of prey name was most fitting since the F-22 is essentially going to be a one-service fighter. I highly doubt the USAF would like an insect-like name since it would allude to the Naval services (Hornet).

But Raptor? I thought it was too cheesey. I do know that it is another name for birds of prey such as an Eagle or Falcon, but it's too vague. Also, alot of people today associate it with Jurassic Park :p

Anything but Raptor. Eagle II would be acceptable, to continue the glorious history of that platform's name. Even a variation of a Hawk name, like the old Warhawk and Skyhawk (McDonnel Douglas products).

414603[/snapback]

The Raptors in Jurassic Park should have been the size of chickens, and were in the book. However, shortly after filming was completed (according to Bob Bakker, anyway), a type of raptor was discovered which was roughly the "movie" size.

414679[/snapback]

The Utahraptor was discovered when Jurassic Park was still being filmed and Steilberg was being a total prick when the size and names issue came up.

I agree that Ligthning II is not a good name for the F-35, personnally I was more inclined to go with Fury II, or maybe even Fury Hawk. Since Fury would have been in honor of the original FJ-1 fury which was really just an F-86 modified for carrier ops and was the first jet used by all fixed wing aircraft flying services.

I agree that Ligthning II is not a good name for the F-35, personnally I was more inclined to go with Fury II, or maybe even Fury Hawk.  Since Fury would have been in honor of the original FJ-1 fury which was really just an F-86 modified for carrier ops and was the first jet used by all fixed wing aircraft flying services.

415904[/snapback]

As well as being suitable for Royal Navy service via the Sea Fury as well.

Er... heres a thought - would the name potentially affect a possible Japanese purchase? The name "Lightning" might stir a few memories (though it doesn't seem to have affected the Typhoon, a name which with no apparent sense of irony - or history - was chosen not to be offensive to all the development nations... )

F-22 was dubbed as the "pelican" in it's earlier stage. The nose originally look like a pelican. Lockheed designers didnt like the nickname. Not exactly striking the fear in your enemies, ya know? So they fixed the nose without compromising the stealthness.

I agree that Ligthning II is not a good name for the F-35, personnally I was more inclined to go with Fury II, or maybe even Fury Hawk.  Since Fury would have been in honor of the original FJ-1 fury which was really just an F-86 modified for carrier ops and was the first jet used by all fixed wing aircraft flying services.

415904[/snapback]

As well as being suitable for Royal Navy service via the Sea Fury as well.

Er... heres a thought - would the name potentially affect a possible Japanese purchase? The name "Lightning" might stir a few memories (though it doesn't seem to have affected the Typhoon, a name which with no apparent sense of irony - or history - was chosen not to be offensive to all the development nations... )

415947[/snapback]

"Typhoon" was a name used for an RAF Fighter during WWII. It was a pretty mean bird.

Hawker Typhoon

They're carrying on a tradition, which is cool. Though I'm waiting to see the British bring up a new aircraft worthy to carry the name "Spitfire."

Or maybe the Americans with "Mustang?" That had a nice ring to it also. It's also, AFAIK, the only "pony" name the US military has used for a combat aircraft.

415947[/snapback]

"Typhoon" was a name used for an RAF Fighter during WWII.  It was a pretty mean bird.

Hawker Typhoon

They're carrying on a tradition, which is cool.  Though I'm waiting to see the British bring up a new aircraft worthy to carry the name "Spitfire."

416027[/snapback]

I know about the Typohon - thats where the irony is; the EF2000 name "Typhoon" was chosen because it supposedly had to be a word which was inoffensive to all the development partner nations, and was chosen because its common to all of them but has suitably neutral foreign (Japanese) origins. Unfortunately, it seems someone forgot Germany was one of the member nations. Or perhaps we Brits are just really, really good at Poker faces in meetings... :)

As for another Sptifire - well, "One of a kind is always special... " :)

Edited by F-ZeroOne

As I recall, the naming of the typhoon happened because the RAF decided to call it Typhoon first- (to the slight chagrin of the germans), and the name was adopted for export promotion of the eurofighter. I don't think the plane is going to be called Typhoon in the national service of the other partner nations.

what annoys me about the JSF naming isn;t so much alling it "lightning", it's the clunky "II" they put on it. what, are they worried people'll get the planes confused?

Or maybe the Americans with "Mustang?"  That had a nice ring to it also.  It's also, AFAIK, the only "pony" name the US military has used for a combat aircraft.

416027[/snapback]

IIRC, "Mustang II" was one of the names originally thrown around for the F-16 (hey, they both have the same ventral inlet). Better than "Fighting Falcon" , but Viper suits it best.

While Lightening II seems to be the official moniker I think it will likely go the way of the ThunderBolt II and Fighting Falcon, and the crews will adopt a more appropriate nickname for it.