6 Foot Long Daedalus Scratch Build Up

MechTech

space fold or not, what is needed now is a flight deck and a scale VF-1 to launch. Maybe drop some a red dye bomb on a tarp and land safely.

Also we need a bunch of bottle rockets to shoot out the front, or if you wanted to be a loser and play it safe you could put one of those peanut can snakes in there. Just imagine the look on someones face as they open up the hatch and *BOOM* a bunch of bottle rockets and/or snakes from those peanut cans come popping out.

just thinking about maneuvers with valks aboard.... perhaps make the landing deck out of a very thin sheet of ferrous metal? then on the valks, some tiny neodymium magnets would help secure them in place. if that's too heavy, then maybe some metal under the deck in certain areas, kind of like a staging or posing area.

i'd also like to see some firepower in the bow. imagine the look of shock on a fellow boater's face when you do a daedelus attack into the side of a scale battleship and unleash a torrent of spring snakes into its hull. :ph34r:

I intend to give them the ride of their lives! Could you imagine a modern carrier doing 30 knot spins! I'll stick to land! - MT

I would love too! I've done donuts on a Coast Cutter 41 foot patrol boat and I was the one on the helm. That was a blast. I've also done it on one of our 330 foot survey ships at 10 knots, but with Z drives it does the turn in a boat length. Of course it was unintentualy. The autopilot went a little crazy that night. I sled across the survey lab with 3 other chairs into the bulkhead. The clean up afterwards took a few hours.

You guys have me bustin' up :D ! I will definitely have aircraft on the top flight deck! And yes, we should all donate a built up 1/200 Nichimo kit to Mechtech :ph34r::p . Not like he has 60 kits already :lol: .

The bottle rockets would be an awesome idea! I did it once to another ship. The superstructure opened upward and was lined with a thin steel plate. Then bottlerocket away! It worked great and was stealthy since you could not tell it was armed until it opened at the last minute. The metal protected it from the couple of times the rocket stuck :blink: ! The whisteling ones were that much better.

I CAN get a soft air pellet down the barrel of a 1/200 Monster (hint -hint). The model is too small to put the firing mechanism in all by itself, but if there was a "loading truck"behind it...you get the picture. Yes I'm considering it.

I'm still trying to figure out where to locate the two water guns. The spring snakes are an awesome idea! Rocket propelled spring snakes would really destroy fellow warships! Hhhmmm...na; too psycho :wacko:.

Carrier takeoffs will be possible, but the bridge would make landings a little rough!

Thank you again for all the compliments. You all help keep egging me on to finish this off! - MT

• 2 weeks later...

They have a medicine patch for that now :p . I'm working on the stabilizer mechanisms. I gutted two servos to make them dummy actuators. Then when I got a channel freed up, I resoldered the guts back in (always save the guts). The servos work great, but they have less throw. I'm adjusting the strings that actaute them. A little shaping on the bulbous bow and the anchor well, and I should be done with the lower half. SOoooon! - MT

once you finish it you should do something really cool with it. Like take it macross conventions, invade canada, build your own little navy and annex your nearest pond, i mean seriously the possibilities are endless.

LOL

In not sure the Canadians would like that.

I have Canadian friends, I'm sure they would not like it :D .

I AM working on the Navy and Air Force thang. My destroyer is in the build up section, and I have a 1/200th Yamato battleship waiting in a box under my bed. Plus I have to build all the mecha and aircraft to go with the Daedalus. No time to invade Canada anyhow :lol: .

No progress reports because I've taken a step backwards. Through a freak accident, I blew up two servos working on the stabilizer actuators. Fuses are your (and your radios) friend. All that work just to make four fins pop in and out! I'm getting some parts to fix the problem. I'm also looking at using carbon fiber extuded shape strips to make the supports for the hanger decks. High tech all the way.

I'll be bringing some plastic to the engravers to do test cuts. In .020", the laser should go through "like butta." I'll be posting soon. - MT

I don't even think the Canadians would know. By the time the French speakers get to the English speakers, it's all done and over with. I think just taking over a pond will suffice though. LOL :D

Jasonc - The ducks didn't stand a chance where I did the trial runs. When I'm packing some defensive systems (water gun and air-soft "cannon"), I'll rule the park hah ha ha ha (evil laugh). Ahem; sorry about that.

UPDATE 11 MAR 07 STABILIZERS ARE FINALLY DONE!

[attachmentid=41093] An earlier picture showing the stabilizer out. Note the slot is filled in nearly flush.

[attachmentid=41094] A movie of a few stabilizer cycles. Normally these will just stay in or out.

[attachmentid=41095] Here's an old movies of how the mechanism works. I refined the mechanics now.

The stabilizers are spring loaded and normally out. The spring takes the brunt of hitting an object or the operator forgetting about them being there and potentially breaking them. The servo merely pulls the string connected to the arm on them.

The anchor well is in on the bow and I forgot I have to do the torpedo tubes in the front. I bought some carbon fiber square tubing to begin the upper half! Yes, the top begins soon! - MT

post-2518-1173646743_thumb.jpg

Stabilizers_In_Action.MPG

Stabilizer_In.MPG

yep, if you're looking for a recruit, I have a Phalanx to donate to the ground pounders on your ship. Just make sure you get a good shot of them on the deck, posing like a bunch of war crazed battle junkies. :ph34r:

yep, if you're looking for a recruit, I have a Phalanx to donate to the ground pounders on your ship. Just make sure you get a good shot of them on the deck, posing like a bunch of war crazed battle junkies. :ph34r:

There was a 1/200 Phalanx in plastic? The only one I've seen was in lead! Seriously everything mecha sized from SDF has been in 1/200 from Nichimo in plastic, Dark Horse in Lead, or a gashapon, except the Nousjadeul-Ger!

You could look at the Ral Partha Range of Battletech stuff. They did some of the original SDF 1/200 scale ish figures. Some of the valk ones were modified enough to almost slip under the radar of Macross as this was arround the time of the great Jetfire debarcle. I have some of the Ral Partha mecha not built and some that were painted etc. some one better than me could cast from them and chunk out a few for you to populate the deck. Sad thing is IU used to work for a company thant did Centrefugal casting the same as Ral Partha, but the boss wouldnt let me recast my figures ( I wanted to make a Macross chess set), But odly it was ok for us to recast Orcs for his son`s D&G.

For your info Ral Partha used to be based in Southampton, I once went for a Job there. If I`d got it I`d have tons of spares :(:)

Edited by big F

Thanks guys! Destroid Defender, I actually think others destroid "donations" would be cool. I've got lot's of 1/200 kits, but this has been a MW group effort from the start. Nanashi did some critical translations that kept me in the right direction. A slew of others (including BigF) helped with filler and other chemical suggestions. Not to mention other members ideas or suggestions. If sponsorship stickers were common place on warships, I'd have to slap a giant MW bumper sticker on it :lol: !

JasonC, Out of curiousity, what is the Phalanx made of? I actaully got the Dark Horse top, and slapped it on the Nichimo Tomahawk bottom with the generator units on the legs. I cast some, but with bubbles galore! I even did the missiles and parts in color. Looks great - with bubbles :angry: !

I dropped sample plastic off with the engraver to mess with power and speed settings. Now I have to finish drawing it in Corel. I figured the upper part will be 7.5"/19cm in height (not including the crane/sail). The two upper decks will be about 3"/7.6cm in height. The decks and walls will be 4mm carbon fiber extruded tube. VERY stiff and strong. That will be sandwiched between .020" styrene which will be engraved / cut where needed. I have just enough room to put the LED's in for ceiling lights. - MT

Ral Partha - yes some of the old Ral Partha Battletech could be used as recoverted to Macross. I have considered this but they are noticeably smaller than 1/200 and you can sell them to Battletech players for big bucks on ebay.

Dark Horse - DH did a line for the Robotech RPG in 1/200. The only mecha they did that wasn't also in plastic was the Spartan.

Gashapon - Macross vending machine capsule toys from Japan. There have been several series reiterating all the Valkyries and the common destroids. Finally a Q-Rau was released.

Unfortunately they did the Regult as 1 figure with 3 variants (missles: heavy, light, none) so instead of being common and easy to get it's three times as dear. I'd really like to get 20 or more for wargaming. Alas I'm probably going to have to recast to get that many.

There is a smallish plastic Spartan that was available as a Robotech/Exoforce toy its bigger than 1/200 - about 3" IIRC

Edited by DestroidDefender

Ah ha. Now I'm in the know. I never saw the Q-Rau, unless that was in one of the mission sets they did. I have one, but it's too small. Try to get the Nichimo 1/200 kits if you still can. They had all three regults.

I have the DH Phalanx and Defender. The Defender was a bit hokey in detail. At least I have all of the Nichimo kits and the Imai 1/200 monsters. I get to build them next :blink: . Talk about a big project. - MT

• 2 weeks later...

hmm while i cant donate any valks or destroids (because of my lack thereof) i will gladly send you something we have alot of in the south......

yes peanut brittle and sweet tea, because the buzz of motors and servos is one thing, but the buzz you get from a sugar concentration so massive it could kill a fly, is a other ballpark. :p

Thanks Tinderfitles. I spent a couple a years in Georgia and EVERYONE has "Saweet Teee." I was even offered it in every Chinese/Japanese restaraunt I went to. Peanut brittle is great stuff too!

UPDATE 24 MARCH 07

Things ahve slowed downa bit. My local supplier for the graphite still has it on order. I can't do the drawings for the side panels of the hanger area or anything else just about until I build the frame. Everything will be custom cut to fit it. I did finish the bow details though...

[attachmentid=41451] Adding the anchor well and "torpedo" tubes.

[attachmentid=41452] Torpedo tubes and anchor area primed. Brass anchor temporarily inserted.

[attachmentid=41453] Bow head on after priming. The lower port tube is lower. It is actually several inches long to hold a motorized torpedo for future fun projects!

[attachmentid=41454] Here's a comparison shot showing the brass anchor (still requiring modification) next to a same scale HH-60. Thanks to Macross Zero I only have to slap some Macross emblems on the side and I'm good to go!

[attachmentid=41455] Here's a 1/200 (same scale) torpedo next to one of the tubes. The tubes were probably meant for larger weapons. The torpedo is a full sized submarine weapon, not a compact aircraft weapon. You can fit four of these in one of the square Daedalus tubes.

That's it for now. I'm going to go scale and draw out the hanger bay area now. - MT

post-2518-1174768524_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1174768598_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1174768678_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1174768773_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1174768926_thumb.jpg

[attachmentid=41455] Here's a 1/200 (same scale) torpedo next to one of the tubes. The tubes were probably meant for larger weapons. The torpedo is a full sized submarine weapon, not a compact aircraft weapon. You can fit four of these in one of the square Daedalus tubes.

Holly cow they are big

Thanks guys! I can get a motor and AAAA battery into a tube that fits into the square tubes. Torpedo time! I've seen guys make larger scaled torpedos. It wil just have to go the same time as the airsoft or water cannon. I'm out of channels! - MT