6 Foot Long Daedalus Scratch Build Up

MechTech

UPDATE 16 DECEMBER 07

I've decided to follow the law of physics now and just make my life (and this project easier). The linear drive was modified (the older soldered bracket work cut off) and flush mounted with the deck in the middle. This pulls the ramp up evenly now. Light weight rails will be added to ensure the ramp moves evenly on both X and Y axis (yes there's a little play).

post-2518-1197846056_thumb.jpg Top view. post-2518-1197846086_thumb.jpg From the side. post-2518-1197846117_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1197846170_thumb.jpg Ramp attached to the drive arm and a closeup of the hinge pointpost-2518-1197846232_thumb.jpg

The next step are the rails and the drive mechanism. This thing sits right below the deck so I don't have a lot of room. I may need a universal joint to move the drive (motor or gear case) down a little. That's it for now. - MT

MT, thanks for the update(s)!

Working out mechanical drive systems really is a lot of fun, as you seem to well know. It might seem like work to some, but I know your secret B)) . I've really enjoyed seeing the progression of your project, particularly in all of the little engineering details, trials and tribulations. Keep the updates coming!

Thanks guys. You're right Hiriyu, it's fun-work (the words almost go together).

Isamu, it will be great to see you get started on the 1/12 scale Valk. No excuse now, there's pilots out there that could fit into it! - MT

Isamu, it will be great to see you get started on the 1/12 scale Valk. No excuse now, there's pilots out there that could fit into it! - MT

I've already bought a 1/12 roy focker imai kit. just need to resculpt the head.

For the pilot, if i choose to put one insite the cockpit, i'll sculpt it directly or make a custom based on an articulated 1/12 figure ....

Anymay, i really can't wait to see your ramp works :)

Neptunesurvey, the crane works great. I think the video for it is back someway a bit.

HAPPY NEW YEAR! UPDATE 1 Jan 08

The linear drive is now centered, hooked up and running smooth. Here's some photos:

post-2518-1199224452_thumb.jpg The completed drive installed dead center.

The universal joint and gearcasepost-2518-1199224525_thumb.jpg. Some of you are saying, those are Lego parts! You're right! I needed a strong and low profile UV joint, this was perfect and needed only a little work (ans some epoxy) to fit right over the ends. The gearcase is an MFA gearcase with 280 motor. Quality unit by the way. The gear case is quiet with other motors, but I rebuilt the 280 from other Mabuchi 280 motors, added 2mm ball bearings to both ends and dropped several windings to increase speed. Still has plenty of torque, weighs 1/4th of the Mabuchi 555 I thought of using (which is ultra quiet at 3volts but weighs 1/4 kilo). The carbon brushes add noise as does the strain on the gear case during part of the cycling. I'll put up with the noise to save that much weight!

The soldering looks sloppy, but I had to get everything aligned while making it work. No one will ever see it anyhow (except you guys).

Next I made up the rail guides. These support an 1/8" shaft that goes through all of the ramp hinges to hold them together. post-2518-1199225007_thumb.jpg post-2518-1199225030_thumb.jpg The rails are simply doubled up 4mm CF square tubes. This was the simplest, most robust and lightest design that worked (yes there were others). The hole in the back of the rails is to align the ramp, guides and rails up for installing or removing the ramp. And a little video clip to give you an idea of speed. Ramp_Retract.MPG

Next step is getting the ramp to fold up near the back section. Hopefully this will be the year it ALL comes together! - MT

Hiriyu, thank you,I'm actually not using lube right now to keep dust from clotting on it. Plus the channel will be open so I may never lube it to keep it clean.

UPDATE 6 JAN 08

Here are some photos from this weeks buildup. To save weight, time and a lot of things, the motion of the ramp retracting will also fold the middle and (already folded up tip section) using cables. There was no easier or realistic way to do it. Not all of the components are completed yet.

post-2518-1199629381_thumb.jpg post-2518-1199629537_thumb.jpgFront Ramp pulleys will be replaced with the end of the cable. post-2518-1199629445_thumb.jpg The rear pulleys will be going into the towers. Long story short, the original idea was flawed in that the cable and the ramp both moved equally. Round two worked and that involved making towers to move the cable backward. The cable has to be elevated to offset the fulcrum of folding the ramp. The gearcase works really hard now, but it's till just one gearcase!

post-2518-1199629656_thumb.jpgpost-2518-1199629702_thumb.jpg[at

achment=48714:Guide_To...in_Place.JPG] The guide tower in place. The angle of the tower is so that it matches the angle of the main hatch opening, but still elevates the cable enough. When the ramp retracts, it pulls these right along with it. The cable will be anchored to the front of the rails and up into the towers and out back to the ramp canter section. The trials worked!

Now I'm waiting on my VS Tank and accessories to come in. I wanted something completed I could have some fun with, so I bought a VS Tank Pro Leopard 2 A5 with Airsoft gun. I could'nt find the A6 anywhere so I'll just lengthen the barrel and update the details. I also got the liked tracks for detailing. - MT

post-2518-1199629730_thumb.jpg

Edited by MechTech

ha, my favorite WIP!

just throwing this out there..

i know you did a test run in the water to see if she'd float and all but with all the additional weight from the deck, tower and everything else you're doing, will she still be able to float?

it would be a shame if you did all the work and she sank during the sea trials.

Thanks. There shouldn't be any problems weight wise. The whole bow section and ramp assembly so far weighs 720 grams or 1 lb 9 3/4 ounce according to my scale. It's the heaviest part too! The back half won't have all the mechanics on it. The lower hull weighs about 30 lbs and is broad/flat bottomed. I'm only worried about control issues into the wind actually. The hanger deck is a giant sail. We'll soon see! the 24th marks two years under construction! - MT

. I'm only worried about control issues into the wind actually. The hanger deck is a giant sail. We'll soon see! the 24th marks two years under construction! - MT

seeing as you're such a glutton for punishment, how about motorized doors for the hanger deck? and a smoke screen generator. maybe some paintball cannons. and retractable hydrofoils! :blink::ph34r:

np with the graphite, i use it all the time. great stuff... should be lumped in with wd-40 and duct tape as indispensables. also, silicone spray may work too, as it does not attract dust and gives a bit of water-repellency to whatever it's sprayed on. not sure if it'll apply, but on a lot of the small u-joints i've used in the past, i've stretched a bit of surgical tubing over the joint to seal it up. helps cut out a bit of noise too. and it REALLY helps when you're using a socket wrench u-joint that's acting too froppy for it's own good.

Rotorhead, thanks for the tips! By the way, yes, the hanger doors will be motorized (low tech, easy, and I've already got the gearheads), the stabilizers are already retractable, and it will have one Airsoft cannon on it (too irresistible). I'm keeping away from pyrotechnics on THIS ship; too much investment! Past projects had rockets though! ^_^ - MT

Rotorhead, thanks for the tips! By the way, yes, the hanger doors will be motorized (low tech, easy, and I've already got the gearheads), the stabilizers are already retractable, and it will have one Airsoft cannon on it (too irresistible). I'm keeping away from pyrotechnics on THIS ship; too much investment! Past projects had rockets though! ^_^ - MT

Will you use buck shot in the airsoft cannon to use it for an antimissile or antiaircraft defense?

I've been slacking lately. I got the retract system going and have stalled a bit working on it. I'm doing some studies right now and I also got my VS Airsoft tank in from Toyeast.com. It's a Leopard 2 A5 that I'm converting to an A6. NO ONE had any A6's in stock and some one said maybe April. So I ordered the A5 and I'll lengthen the barrel. I'll probably weather it too because it just looks to clean. I also got the accessories and linked tracks. It's a really awesome tank! - MT

• 5 weeks later...
I've been slacking lately. I got the retract system going and have stalled a bit working on it. I'm doing some studies right now and I also got my VS Airsoft tank in from Toyeast.com. It's a Leopard 2 A5 that I'm converting to an A6. NO ONE had any A6's in stock and some one said maybe April. So I ordered the A5 and I'll lengthen the barrel. I'll probably weather it too because it just looks to clean. I also got the accessories and linked tracks. It's a really awesome tank! - MT

So how is the conversion going?

Thanks!. The Daedalus project is over two years old now. I finished the Leopard conversion (short-easy job). I haven't been really building anything and it's driving me nuts! I'm just too busy studying for some job related tests. I've even got the awesome 1/20 Bandai Votoms Red Shoulder Custom sitting in my closet and it's driving me nuts! Every time I go in to get my clothes, it just sits there staring at me :lol:. - MT

Thanks!. The Daedalus project is over two years old now. I finished the Leopard conversion (short-easy job). I haven't been really building anything and it's driving me nuts! I'm just too busy studying for some job related tests. I've even got the awesome 1/20 Bandai Votoms Red Shoulder Custom sitting in my closet and it's driving me nuts! Every time I go in to get my clothes, it just sits there staring at me :lol: . - MT

I know how you feel in over a year now I have spent 2 hours tops on my 1/55 custom.

• 3 weeks later...

I spent today making the mechanism that folds the last ramp section as the ramp retracts; one motor, two actions. I used heavy line and it reeled into one of those badge holders (available at your stationery store). I took it apart and put two lines on the reel. One went left and the other right to the towers previously posted. It worked great! Then I realized it would take a lot of force to open it back up :angry:. Two steps forward, one back.

On the other hand, I ordered two more Hitech HS-125MGs to fit into the ramp. So now I'll have three different ways of folding/unfolding the ramp segments. But at least it will be reliable when I'm done. The two current gearcase mechanisms work great. I should be back to work on it in a week; I hope! - MT

Edited by MechTech

On the other hand, I ordered two more Hitech HS-125MGs to fit into the ramp. So now I'll have three different ways of folding/unfolding the ramp segments.

On the other hand you'll have loads of spares for your next project :)