6 Foot Long Daedalus Scratch Build Up

MechTech

I cant have it at my house but im sure someone has a big house or a friendly Pub landlord or something.

384697[/snapback]

You seem to be suggesting that such a hypothetical con wouldn't have a turnout in the hundreds! ;-P

I, uh, have a garage? ;-)

That's pretty damn awesome, though, MechTech. Have you had any experience putting boats together from scratch before? It looks from the photos like it's just falling into place, like you've made a hundred of these in the past...

I´m out of words... this will be so AWESOME! Could be the biggest Macros model ever made I guess! Cool!!

By the way what is the Destroyer you put into te hull for size comparison? At first I thought it was a japanese ship from Nichimo but I didn´t know the class... American? The hangar still looks japanese to me, just wondering.

In order:

Like Big F said, we'll work the CON out in the "Conventions and local gatherings section.

Knight 26 - The bow will open and the ramp extend. I even got my wife helping me engineer how the ramp works in the drawings. :) The ramp will probably extend on a screw drive since that's the easiest and most reliable solution I could come up with.

Sar - You're in the next "shire" from my area. Don't laugh, it could be your gagrage! ;) I've built several free flight, R/C aircraft and a few other preformed boat kits, but that's it. I love doing engineering projects. Go figure, I'm an electronics technician, but love building stuff more. Career mismatch?

Neptunesurvey and Viceland - It will be in kit form when enough rich and crazy people come up to me and ask B)) That would take some serious work. I get tired just thinking about it.

Honneamise - YES! It is a fictional model, BUT, the hull and deck is Trumpeter Keifang class (it's lightweight), Nichimo Takatsuki bridge/funnel, and everything else is scratchbuilt. The hanger is Japanese influenced. :) The ship is R/C too. I've redone the helideck. I've put netting on it and redone the surface since the photo. (I gotta have something to drive in the mean time!) I'm thinking of putting copies of it's CIWS units on the Daedalus inconspiciously. :ph34r:

ACtually what you might want to do is add the macross type launchers that were seen in some lineart and the series. The was lineart back up on NMMA of something called the missile phalanx, but I think it was on the prometheus, and from the few pics there were it was quite obviously a RAM mount. Which, was derived from the CIWS mount.

SNIP

Neptunesurvey and Viceland - It will be in kit form when enough rich and crazy people come up to me and ask B))  That would take some serious work.  I get tired just thinking about it.

SNIP

385067[/snapback]

I'm not rich, but crazy fits me well I guess! :wacko:

Sar - You're in the next "shire" from my area.  Don't laugh, it could be your gagrage! ;)

It'd be worth it if I got to see a finished 1/200th Daedalus! :p

(And I know Peterborough's technically Northants, but I've always put 'Cambridgeshire' when I've been writing out addresses, bizarre as it is... ;-)

I've built several free flight, R/C aircraft and a few other preformed boat kits, but that's it.  I love doing engineering projects.  Go figure, I'm an electronics technician, but love building stuff more.  Career mismatch?

Probably not; I used to really love coding 'til I got a job as a programmer... I suspect very few people carry out a hobby which is exactly the same as their profession. So don't quit your job and go into modelling or hull prototyping or anything, damnit, I want to see this project finished someday! ;-)

This will almost certainly assure you a place of renown and admiration amongst Macross fans and modelers everywhere.  I too can't wait to see the finished model.  Of course, this begs the question: will a Prometheus model follow?  ^_^

385352[/snapback]

That would be awesome!!! a 6-feet-long Prometheus making it's maiden trip... WOW!

^_^

Thanks everyone for the further compliments! I'm humbled. Did some more planking tonight. The slower rate of the cement takes a while. I'd use superglue, but it will leave uneven areas when I sand it down. The superglue is harder and doesn't sand down as evenly.

Knight26 - I got ya. The RAM-like launchers on the Promethius. I can't believe someone would design a warship without on board weapons (OK, so when would torpedos be a good defensive weapon). I'm going to try to work something in.

In real life, I've got to water gun pumps I'll probably arm it with. The swans get really mean (no kidding) if you go near their territory.

I seriously looked at doing the Promethius instead, but it would never work. The hull is too narrow and there is too much overhang as compared to a modern day carrier. One giant ship is enough for now. I'm outa shelf space. :)

Edited by MechTech

Dont frack with the swans in the UK. If the cops find out youll be in real trouble for harming the Queens property. Im not kidding. Every swan in the country belongs to the royal family and you can be arrested for harassing them.

Don't worry, I'll keep away from the swans. I've been "told off" by them a lot at lake sides. You'd think they were peaceful. We should name a plane after them!

Scale Solutions? That's new to me. Do I sense an advertisement coming?

Yup Swans are not as nice as they look. ( i know first hand).

The Queen does aparently own all of them so you are not allowed to kill them. They used to put people in the the Tower of London for it.

Pfft.  Swans have nothing compared to Canadian Geese.  Those are some mean birds.

385479[/snapback]

I think you might want to check that out. Mute swans are arround twice the weight of Canada Geese. Mute swans when protecting their mates or young are really nasty. They will attack and kill other birds that get too close. Small children are also not a problem for them. I have seen one push a child into the pond near me and then carry on attacking it while the kids parents tried to rescue him. A friend of mine (hes a twitcher) has seen a Mute Swan push a fully grown German Shepard underwater because it got too near his mate while swimming in the local lakes.

The Swans near me are o.k as long as you dont make any move towards the nest or the small babies. If you have some bread or grain they love you.

The Swans and the Canada Geese have a mutual sort of understanding thing. The geese stay away from the side of the lake where the Swans nest then the Swans wont attack them.

Canada Geese are mean too (as are all Geese) but due to the size of the Mute most kids at my school were taught at an early age to keep away from the swans when they visited our school pond. When the Canda Geese came to visit the only thing you had to worry about was your packedlunch and any crisps/potatochips you had. The Geese consider these as fair game. They would go into your pokets to get them.

If you know your limits with both, they are great birds to go and see and feed bread to with the kids.

Edited by big F

Canada Geese are mean too (as are all Geese) but due to the size of the Mute most kids at my school were taught at an early age to keep away from the swans when they visited our school pond. When the Canda Geese came to visit the only thing you had to worry about was your packedlunch and any crisps/potatochips you had. The Geese consider these as fair game. They would go into your pokets to get them.

385683[/snapback]

While I was going to BCIT in Burnaby, the Canadian Geese would take over the back lawns during autumn and spring. Unfortunatly, that was the only direct route to get into the building without going alllll the way around to the front of the campus. They seemed to take offense at some hairless monkees wandering through "their" grass and seemed to take even more delight in pestering us. I swear that one of them was so mean it had a beak ring :)

Guys, I have a strange feeling that there was talk about some ship in this thread.  ;)

385717[/snapback]

lol :D

armyboot.gif

Not quite the Daedalus but in the spirit of things.

Edited by big F

Some people asked me before about the laser engraved parts. They're posted above with the rest of the photos. I'm not using these, but you have an idea of what they look. The operator moved the plastic so it blurred and the engraver charred some areas for some mysterious reason? - MT

Oh, and I suddenly get the urge for some arromatic duck this weekend. :lol:

Edited by MechTech

Thanks guys. There's another section on this site? :D

I'm hoping to finish planking this weekend. I spent the last two weeks in networking classes! :wacko: