Kaiyodo Revoltech Figures

wolfx

Pardon the ignorance (I've never seen Patlabor), but are these large mecha or just slightly-larger-than-human suits? Just curious since I see they use shotguns and pistols

Largish Mecha. These are designed to work within the confines of a city, so they are considerably smaller than the usual large robots. I think they should be under 5m in height, total, but my recall of the Patlabor stats is weak at best.

I do remember that revolver is supposed to be a 37mm..

Back to the RvT. Good looking, here's hoping they come out with a Unit 3 and a Type Zero. I'm looking forward to building Special Vehicles Section 2.

As for the "Griffin", looks like I'll be getting that one to supplement my "Shadowhawk"... Hope they come out with the "Battlemaster".

Whoa. Is that the Roundface Dougram I see in the background?

Make that a "Soltic H8 Roundfacer"! That's good news for those who liked and bought the RvT Dougram, although I didn't go for the overly anthropomorphic proportions. The Ingram is just right...

The more recently announced figures are mostly... human charas? But I do recall seeing promo shots of the Ingram 1 with a shotgun, so at the least, we should be getting a Ingram 2. Logically, we ought to get a Griffon someday. But then again, the first Revoltech Dougram hasn't gotten any enemies yet...

Keeping my fingers crossed!

I'd love to see a Brocken Labor or a Phantom being made.

Largish Mecha. These are designed to work within the confines of a city, so they are considerably smaller than the usual large robots. I think they should be under 5m in height, total, but my recall of the Patlabor stats is weak at best.

I do remember that revolver is supposed to be a 37mm..

Back to the RvT. Good looking, here's hoping they come out with a Unit 3 and a Type Zero. I'm looking forward to building Special Vehicles Section 2.

As for the "Griffin", looks like I'll be getting that one to supplement my "Shadowhawk"... Hope they come out with the "Battlemaster".

Most of the labors are between 4-8m in height iirc. The Ingrams are 8.01m (Based on stats that came with one of my model kits)

Back on topic: Revoltech figure seem to be popping all over the place here in England. 2 of the 3 comic shops I go to have Dante and the Evas in stock. I'm crossing my fingers they'll get the Ingram too.

Pardon the ignorance (I've never seen Patlabor), but are these large mecha or just slightly-larger-than-human suits? Just curious since I see they use shotguns and pistols

Labors are designed to work - mainly - in and around urban environments for the most part and they are quite a bit smaller than many anime mecha. You can get some idea of size by looking at the windowed area immediately underneath the head; on the Revoltech you can actually see the HUD display used by the pilot.

The revolvers and shotguns were obviously designed to keep with the "Police" feel of the Ingram and the series. As has been pointed out, the relover officially fires 37mm rounds, although the artwork and animation is a little inconsistent here and it often appears much bigger than that in action.

The shotgun, IIRC, is 90mm, but like all movie shotguns, calibre doesn't matter because shotguns are the Macross Cannon of movie close gun fighting. :lol:

I hate Drifand, not for getting toys before me, but for getting his toys to do those poses. I have several of those Patlabor toys, and I swear Drifand must have broken the legs of the Cloth Gear Ingram to get that splayed pose like that! :lol:

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Another FotS figure? Sweet! And it's the Roundface? Even better!

The Patlabor figs look awesome too.

Also, Drif, can we get a joint summary of the Ingram? What joints are PVC on PVC (and what are they're ranges of motion,) and what joints are Revoltech joints?

Edited by promethuem5

Most of the labors are between 4-8m in height iirc. The Ingrams are 8.01m (Based on stats that came with one of my model kits)

Which is odd, because they won't fit in my city. Most of the overhead bridges in my area has a height limit of 4.8m or so, and they are everywhere. Which means the Ingrams can't step under. They also probably don't have the mass to push through quickly (and collateral damage is an issue...) and might not have the height to step over the bridges.

So, no Ingrams for my town. :(

Back on topic: Revoltech figure seem to be popping all over the place here in England. 2 of the 3 comic shops I go to have Dante and the Evas in stock. I'm crossing my fingers they'll get the Ingram too.

I suppose Dante because it's not that popular (comparatively), and Eva because there's just a whole sh!tload of them.. It was hard to see a Dougram on display in my area.

I hate Drifand, not for getting toys before me, but for getting his toys to do those poses. I have several of those Patlabor toys, and I swear Drifand must have broken the legs of the Cloth Gear Ingram to get that splayed pose like that! :lol:

Ah... but I'm no Sid-torturer, I assure you! I just take my time to balance the darn figures. To be sure, the old ClothGears SUCK at poseability... the stupid 'cloth pieces' just eat up all the freedom of movement in the exoskeleton! Still love 'em for old-school reasons. One more pic:

02.jpg

Also, Drif, can we get a joint summary of the Ingram? What joints are PVC on PVC (and what are they're ranges of motion,) and what joints are Revoltech joints?

Lemme check, non-RvT joints are the wrists, both shoulders, upper arms and the hips. For an actual dissection, check out Japanese toy collector Pony's review; he took the RvT Ingram apart:

http://pony-hp3.web.infoseek.co.jp/REVOL-98.htm

Otherwise, the toy is basically a very nifty all-PVC action figure that emphasizes dynamic poseability over technical detailing/gimmickery (see the 'non-canon' thigh seam for example). So far this series of toys doesn't use clear-parts for lenses/cockpits, preferring to paint the surfaces with gradient airbrush reflections/shadows; works great on the Ingram, but looks funny on the Dougram (to me). The modern Tampo detailing is very crisp, and on the Ingram at least, all PVC areas are painted, no raw surfaces exposed (good or bad for durability, it looks nice).

The overall smaller sizes of RvT toys (~4") means less weight-induced stress on the non-RvT joints, which previously have self-destructed in larger Kaiyodo figures, like the infamous VO Temjin. Similarly, the ratcheted RvT joints in key areas help to hold off-centered poses better than older smooth-bore 'monoshafts' alone.

Drawbacks? 'Neutral' poses are hard to achieve... the slightly splayed-out hips don't play well with ramrod straight stances; tend to look bowlegged or too crotch-forward aggro. And no generic weapon-grasp hand to hold accessories from 'elsewhere'. Worth ~2000yen? Yeah, it's priced right (esp when compared to other 'PVC' lines like the MAX35 Votoms...)

Edited by drifand

Ah... but I'm no Sid-torturer, I assure you! I just take my time to balance the darn figures. To be sure, the old ClothGears SUCK at poseability... the stupid 'cloth pieces' just eat up all the freedom of movement in the exoskeleton! Still love 'em for old-school reasons.

Its okay, Drifand - I've read about the measures you take to get those poses before! Its just having recently built two Cloth Gears myself, I wouldn't have believed that pose possible until you did it. Its a really strange feature of those toys, that they have this - for the time - really poseable inner skeleton that is practically useless because of the way the armour fits together.

I'll also admit that the the 1/32 Ingram toy is a brick, but it does have a certain "presence".

I also like seeing your shots, Drifand, by the way, as it provides inspiration for posing my own toys - even if the result if often a demonstartion of gravity in action...! :)

I this the LiA is slightly more accurate in sculpt, but the poseability of the RvT is simply stunning.

Here's to hoping A) We get a whole bunch of Patlabor series mechs: Helldivers and Brockens as well as Type-0, and B) This spurs more interest in Patlabor, which is always so under-rated.

I'm not so sure Patlabor on TV is under-rated - just about every review, critique, and book entry I've ever read on it states its a great show - but it is under-appreiciated, except seemingly in Japan.

Not enough busty magical girls in skimpy outfits, I guess... :p

I rented Pat a few months ago, had trouble getting through the first disc and canceled the rest.

You guys seem to be loving it though, I'll give it another shot.

Even if you don't like the show, I recommend the movies, you don't have to be familiar with the show to enjoy them. Skip the 3rd one though.

I rented Pat a few months ago, had trouble getting through the first disc and canceled the rest.

You guys seem to be loving it though, I'll give it another shot.

Are you referring to the TV series? Rather like Ghost in the Shell, theres a number of different "versions":

Patlabor: The Movie 1, 2, and WXIII.

Patlabor: The Original OAV series.

Patlabor on TV and The New Files OAV: this is the version I'm referring to. Patlabor isn't a "flashy" show, and the animation is decent without being outstanding, but I like it for the generally superb writing, character interactions, and the gentle - rather than "in-your-face" - humour. The other nice thing about Patlabor is thats theres quite a lot of little Japanese-culture background ; for example, when Captain Goto decides he needs the team needs some bonding, he does it in a traditional Japanese way - by taking everyone out to get falling-down drunk. :)

Helps that the Ingram and Griffon rock, too. No magical girls, but there are big robots. :lol:

i watched one of the movies and was resoundingly unimpressed. the show was far more agreeable i just wasn't into it. i want to give the normal tv show a chance.

comedy + mechs is more apealing to me than angst + mechs. so yeah.

Patlabor is primarily a character driven show, and much of that is lost in the movies. I enjoyed the first two (and haven't seen the third) because I was already a fan from the OAVs and TV series, and they gave me techno thrillers featuring characters I already adored... but by themselves, the movies might not grab someone new to the series. And for what it's worth, I felt the first movie was significantly better than the second.

The TV series and OAVs are more light hearted and down to earth, and while they feature mecha, they're primarily character driven rather than mecha centric.

Edited by Sundown

There's something about that prime i'm just not diggin on. I have no idea what it is though.. something just ain right

I think i can see where you're coming from. He defintely resembles the Dreamwave Comic (Pat Lee) version more than he does his G1 design. It does take a little getting used to.

gibi_news_tf_hq_vol2_cover_01.jpg

I guess Kaiyodo decided on something different for Prime, compared with the pretty faithful representations they did with all the other characters released so far. Just as long as he can pull off some dynamic poses and comes with some good accessories i think i'll be more than content.

Edited by Veritas

i watched one of the movies and was resoundingly unimpressed. the show was far more agreeable i just wasn't into it. i want to give the normal tv show a chance.

comedy + mechs is more apealing to me than angst + mechs. so yeah.

You definitly watched the 2nd one. the 1st while a good technothriller is much lighter in tone