Monster Repaint

lordmasterprince

Incredible!! :blink:

I think you just need to darken the ends of the main barrels, also the arm canons. It's got to look as if it were used at least a few times.

I think your's is the first Monster custom I have ever seen. Glad to see this, just hope it's not the last.

Nice job. I too think you should darken the Barrels a bit. But at least it now looks like a Destroid and not a hunk of plastic, pretending to be a Destroid.

The museum fresh look is naff. Its always nice too see them custom painted to look like they were used at least once in battle, you know a bit of ingrained dirt some scuffs and knocks and a bit of discolouration. I know that doing this to something that is essentially sold as a toy (an expensive toy) is going towards the modelers area but so what. How many Macross toy collectors over the age of 10 actually play with the toys. Most of the collectors here if they have kids have the kids eaither stay away or give them their own Macross toys to put in the sandpit or play in the bath or whatever they do with toys.

I Say Buy em, Paint em, Pose em, Display em.

Good work !! I look forward to your next work.

Edited by big F

Nice job. I too think you should darken the Barrels a bit. But at least it now looks like a Destroid and not a hunk of plastic, pretending to be a Destroid.

The museum fresh look is naff. Its always nice too see them custom painted  to look like they were used at least once in battle, you know a bit of ingrained dirt some scuffs and knocks and a bit of discolouration. I know that doing this to something that is essentially sold as a toy  (an expensive toy) is going towards the modelers area but so what. How many Macross  toy collectors over the age of 10 actually play with the toys. Most of the collectors here if they have kids have the kids eaither stay away or give them their own Macross toys to put in the sandpit or play in the bath or whatever they do with toys.

I Say Buy em, Paint em, Pose em, Display em.

Good work !!  I look forward to your next work.

376533[/snapback]

Thank for the comments and I also agreed that the barrels should be darken more,something that I missed out myself :p .Reworks on the problem areas are being done at the moment and will post revised pictures very soon.

I think you just need to darken the ends of the main barrels, also the arm canons. It's got to look as if it were used at least a few times.

Like nightmare said, the main barrels need a little more black on them... maybe something like this..

post-2356-1141783919_thumb.jpg

Other than that, I love that custom job you did!

That's actually a bit of a misconception. Barrels never wind up looking like that in real life. Lordmasterprince's look like they should in reality. As a model guy my biggest complaint is the screws. They just throw off the scale, and remind you it's a toy. Other than that, your paint job could compete in a model contest. B)) Nice work!

Like nightmare said, the main barrels need a little more black on them... maybe something like this..

post-2356-1141783919_thumb.jpg

Other than that, I love that custom job you did!

377813[/snapback]

Guest Bromgrev
Other than that, your paint job could compete in a model contest. B))  Nice work!

True words, and high praise indeed! It's hardly shiny at all. :D

Other than that, your paint job could compete in a model contest. B))  Nice work!

True words, and high praise indeed! It's hardly shiny at all. :D

378009[/snapback]

Thank you all for all the flattering comments. This was ment to be a quick-over the-weekend kind of self entertainment. The "tools" that I used for this project:

1) Tamiya XF-1 flat black enamel paint

2) Tamiya X-20 enamel paint thinner

3) "burnt metal" and "rust" Gundam marker

4) Tamiya X-20A thinner

5) toothpicks

6) Q-tips

You read it right, Q-tips!!! I didn't even use a paint brush for this project. The process is easy and fun. First I apply the flat black wash with Q-tips . After the wash is fully dried, I use another Q-tip wetted with the thinner to blend the effect better. After the surface is all dried , I use toothpick to apply the "burnt metal" dots at all those knock and scratch area. Then I used another Q-tip for applying the "rust" here and there. That 's all to it. It's cheap,quick and fun method that everyone can enjoy. :D

lordmasterprince or anyone,

I'm from the otherside of the world, so a lot of model tool terms are not familiar to a bloke like me from down under, what's a Q-tip? Picture anyone, sound like a great tools.

Bty, no dildo pics please, I was actually tempted to post one as soon as I read what I wrote, please reframe :p

...Then I used another Q-tip...

378025[/snapback]

lordmasterprince or anyone,

I'm from the otherside of the world, so a lot of model tool terms are not familiar to a bloke like me from down under, what's a Q-tip? Picture anyone, sound like a great tools.

Bty, no dildo pics please, I was actually tempted to post one as soon as I read what I wrote, please reframe  :p 

...Then I used another Q-tip...

378025[/snapback]

378030[/snapback]

I am quite sure that "Q-tip" is no special model tool term! But rather a personal care product term :lol: Q-Tip.jpg

Thanks lordmasterprince, I knew it would be something simple like that. It is called a cotton pick if you from OZ. Damn language barrier.

• 2 weeks later...

...... As a model guy my biggest complaint is the screws. They just throw off the scale, and remind you it's a toy.........

I have this fixed tonight. Again with very simple and fast tool:..........>

A piece of thin clear plastic from packing of batteries or any other products. Using a HOLE-PUNCHER to punch out perfect little circles. Glue these little round pieces of thin plastic on top of the screw heads. Paint over them and you have instant (well,almost) screw covers! ;)

post-3307-1142877091_thumb.jpg

post-3307-1142877110_thumb.jpg

Guest Bromgrev
OK guys dont make me get one and go the whole 9yards with the seam filling, screw patching, low vis paint, stenciling and grubby combat weathering. I might just enjoy it too much.

382215[/snapback]

Do it ... you know you want to ... :ph34r: