"offical Super Thread"

Commentary:

Every now and then I see the member creation of a topic with the words "Offical", "Mega" or "Super" attached to it by the author.

The words give the topic more authority but by whom's authority? Did the actually copyright holders of the subject in question offical authorized it? Did the message board owners? No someone just decided to slap the "Offical" label on it. Doesn't that lessen the importance of a topic being the sole and "offical" place to discuss a said topic in question. If six different member right now start six "offical" threads in one forum wouldn't it just be meaningless?

I wonder if "Offical Threads" should actually have offical meaning. Should only admins, mods and mini-mods have the authority to label something as "offical" or should it just be something that members do now there own still.

Right now I compare them to those ebay listings with the prefixs "LOOK" or "A MUST HAVE."

In my opinion, long multi-page threads are the bane of message boards. They are simply too cumbersome and I for one have not read through any of the super threads on MacrossWorld; in fact, I make an effort to avoid them.

I use the internet for news/weather/sports so that I DON'T have to sit through hours of sensationalized flash to obtain the few pertinent pieces of information I want. I use message boards for the same reason, because whenever anything happens, invariably some member will post a thread about it, a NEW thread that I know to check.

If we continue the tradition of this super thread concept, I'd like to ask that they cease to become pinned and the current selection be reconsidered for trimming. In the stead of these pinned threads, I'd suggest ONE pinned thread called SUPER THREAD DIRECTORY, which functions as reference thread filled with nothing but links to each super thread (with a brief, explanatory header of course). If interest doesn't keep a given Super Thread on the first page of a given forum, it falls off. The pinned directory thread will always be there for quick reference when the subject is to be revisited.

Simple, clean, concise...the way me and my instant gratification complex likes the internet :)

Edited by Mr March

I kind of like the Super Threads, only becuse it keeps down on clutter and having alot of similar topics... I agree that they can be cumbersome, but for the ones in the Other Anime section, I like having one thread.... I know it bugs the hell out of me that there are two congruent threads for the new Zeta Gundam movies, because not all of the important news makes it into both threads....

EDIT: And as for the "Official" part, who cares? It's just a word... not like it gives the thread extra power or influence or the ability to shoot laser beams out of its eyes or anything...

Edited by promethuem5

Guest Bromgrev

I'm with Mr March on this one. I'm no fan of pinned super threads. If a thread falls off the front page it should die quietly. And who has time to trawl through 100+ pages of posts? Nothing worse for a newcomer to be pointed to a super thread and be told, "It's already in there. Go find it."

You do realize we're on a board about a show called Super Dimensional Fortress Macross right? That should explain the fashionation with one of the terms.

I think they become "offical" because someone has alot of desire to talk about that topic, so the discussion can accumilate in one place without looking all over the place. Plus you look like a total jerk if you start up another thread on the same topic after there's a really long thread already discussing it. Total peer pressure man. ;)

I'm with the others who are in favor of the official threads. And only the things we really have to go over alot, such as RT vs. M differences, and how to use the infamous "SEARCH" function, need to be pinned. Besides, Roy, don't you like it more when we police the boards ourselves, as opposed to having 10 threads about the same thing around the same time period?

Let's see:

a "Super"/"Mega" - Transformer/starwars/whatever thread

somehow catches the eye of a member and in a way 'insisting' him

to add his questions comments there

I see no problem there

Pinning such a thread? Nah

(although a pinned link-to-common-"mega threads" thread may prevent

these threads being restarted by a newbie)

"Official" ...yeah I can see a problem there

If I see that in front of thread, I expect one of "MW's employees" to

have started it

I always assumed threads with the title of "Official" had somehow gotten clearance to exsist from a mod or admin... I guess that is not always the case. Perhaps in the future all topics wishing to be "official" would need a stamp of approval from a mod or admin otherwise they will be cranked. Nothing personal but I do sort of see how annoying it would be for an admin to come on here one day and see something like "MW Official McDonalds Happy Meal Toy Thread!" and assume someone gave that person permission to make that thread.

As for the choice of one large thread versus many small ones I tend to lead towards both... let me explain... this is a discussion board, and as such "discussion" should be allowed in any form it arrives in. But at the same time this board is used by members as an information repository, which is the exact opposite of a discussion board. In a discussion you have two or more people exchanging positions, ideas and information in a near real time exchange. An information repository is a library in which people simply muse facts and recorded info at their leasure. MW serves both masters but IMHO it's focus is on discussion of topics and issues. Most of the time the "super threads" are kept around to centralize all the discussion on one large topic rather than break it up into a vast smattering of smaller topics... and it's also done for housekeeping reasons to be honest. While one person balks at having to read ten different topics about one thing they are interested in another with complain about having to sift through fifty pages of one thread about the thing they are interested in... and then still a third person (like me) will get a headache that we have these large topics specifically set up to contain all the discussion of one topic only to see all these smaller topics pop up all over about the same darn thing.

But in the end it's all about the discussion... participating or just watching others participate if you're into the whole antisocial thing. Going back and reading a hundred pages in a large topic is a pain when you are looking for info but at the same time so is trying to look for one peice of info in twenty different topics that are five pages long. IMHO the large topics are not to be used as library books but rather as places to contain the discussion of large topics that always crop up. Perhaps we should "flush" the large topics periodically to keep them smaller... but then that would anger the people who use them as library books.

In the end you can't make everyone happy either way, so it all boils down to a policy of active topic control and containment... that's what mods are for in the end.

I like the so called official threads. I've never created one (not that I can remember) but I think members just call them that to gather up all the fans of what ever the topic is. It's not official as sanctioned by the site, but official as far as it more or less a "let's get together" type thing.

What I don't like is when someone starts a thread and they get pointed to the "official" thread as an answer instead of just answering a question that can be answered quickly and letting the thread die on it's own. If a similar thread runs concurrent with a similar thread, then, yes, one of the threads should be assimilated or closed.

What I hate even more is when someone bumps up ALL the related threads just to show there has been other threads created for such topic. As if that helpful to the site.

As far as calling it "official" it gets a big fat 'I dont care what you call it' from me. It's the other members choice whether they support a thread or not unless it was pinned by an admin/mod.

It never bothered me. I never felt or once thought that any "official" whatever have you thread was properly endorsed by the powers that be or anything. But I suppose you could just add that word to the word filter list since it bugs you so, along with mega and super and maybe the phrase, "one and only". :D

Edited by Gaijin

For the record, I agree that official threads should be mod/admin cleared and/or created, or be renamed.

And as a small side note, Wes' use of "fashionation" seriously cracked me up. I don't know if it's funnier if he spelled it like that on purpose, or doesn't know how to spell it, both are pretty funny.

I officially wasted 5 minutes of my life reading this unofficial thread :p

seriuosly though, I dont think the members mean it in the way yer thinking, its just a lets all talk about "this" subject only in this thread,,,,thats all,,, who gives a rats rear what they call it unless thiers copyright infringment

I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. I did a search and there are only about 15-20 active threads (threads replied to within the past 3 months) that use the terms "Official, Mega or Super" in the manner described.

In essence creating a thred such as this is way to direct discussion of these subjects into one place. In some ways, I think the Mods should be thanking people who do this, because it gives them legitimate reasons to lock up redundant threads and keep the boards clean.

I don't see any reason to limit or stop members from creating these threads as I've seen, from my search for the above words, that when a thread drops from interest, it simply drops of the radar.

p.s.- I've always listed mine as "Un-Official" threads. So nyah! :p

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I created my "official" thread for Gunbuster because there were others creating multiple threads devoted to this anime. The first message by me on this thread lists 3 or 4 different links. So I said "official" to keep it all in one area and to avoid irritating anyone by creating multiple threads. And it has worked too. All us fans of that old show know where to go for our Gunbuster fix. Please don't destroy my thread.

And Dangard Ace, I'm flabergasted at you. I see your name in the Gunbuster thread quite often. Are you willing to destroy it because I am not a mod or admin? The horror...

Hey, I created my "official" thread for Gunbuster because there were others creating multiple threads devoted to this anime. The first message by me on this thread lists 3 or 4 different links. So I said "official" to keep it all in one area and to avoid irritating anyone by creating multiple threads. And it has worked too. All us fans of that old show know where to go for our Gunbuster fix. Please don't destroy my thread.

And Dangard Ace, I'm flabergasted at you. I see your name in the Gunbuster thread quite often. Are you willing to destroy it because I am not a mod or admin? The horror...

380828[/snapback]

Destroy? No. Rename? No, it's one of the threads that actually works with a official tag. You actually know what you're talking about for Gunbuster and are a constant active participant. If all "official" thread starters did that I wouldn't care, but we had a slew of threads that were started but did not have in-depth knowledge about the subject. They were more of a "super" thread-type in that the starter did it to consolidate the threads but then seldom returned to participate in it later. I have the same opinion as Roy that alot of those threads were created to simply have shock value like the ebay listings with the prefixs "LOOK" or "A MUST HAVE." Happily there are some exceptions to that rule.

My definitions :

Official threads - created by passionate fans who have a real love for the subject and have done a ton of research on it and actively contribute to that thread OR created by admin/mods.

Super/Mega threads - created by fans to consolidate all threads of the subject in question but more as a general free for all. ie the Transformers thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another question or a heads up of something I'm thinking on.

What are some feeling on a restart of the offical/super threads? Close most of them and move them to an forum of closed threads for reference. Then allow things to start again at page one.

I'm for it.

Then again I view those super threads as containment... as a place for people to discuss a topic without spreading it out over ten other topics. I know a lot of people dislike that "enclave" strategy but it keeps things tidy. Archiving the old topic will also keep the library book type people happy in that they can go back and re-read all that has gone before.

Another problem is that after so many days a thread won't appear.  Unless you scroll down and select "Show threads from such and such a date."

384462[/snapback]

Hi Roy,

There should be a "Default Date Cutoff Display" that can be set individually for each forum. So, if you did go ahead with your plan to move them to their own section, you could set the date cut-off for that section seperately from the rest of the forums.

Best,

H

Why did you kill all the big threads?  Talk about obnoxious and disruptive...

384795[/snapback]

Because they're getting to big. :rolleyes:

BTW, Roy, you might want to change the "Reviews" section to reflect that it is also the archive. It will help people find stuff.

You know, a lot of people don't check any forums other than "the big 6" (TV/Movies, Games, Other Anime, How To, Toys, Models). I believe that despite this thread, 99% of the board had no idea this was going to happen, and probably would have liked to have their voice heard if they knew this was being discussed. Count me in among those people. A posting a day or two before in the relevant doomed super thread(s) would have been nice to alert people.

Telling people beforehand is a lot better than smiting all the threads at once then posting a notice that you did it. Discussing it in a not-very-visited sub-forum isn't enough when a huge chunk of the forum reads those threads but not this one.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Roy Focker: The plans have been available in the local planning office for the last nine months.

Disgruntled MW Poster: Oh yes, well, as soon as I heard I went straight round to see them, yesterday afternoon. You hadn’t exactly gone out of your way to call attention to them, had you? I mean, like actually telling anybody or anything.

Roy Focker: But the plans were on display …

Disgruntled MW Poster: On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.

Roy Focker: That’s the display department.

Disgruntled MW Poster: With a flashlight.

Roy Focker: Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.

Disgruntled MW Poster: So had the stairs.

Roy Focker: But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?

Disgruntled MW Poster: Yes I did. It was on display on the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the leopard’.

... anyway...

Aside from creating a new section, moving the huge topics that needed restarting, leaving links in the original section to the topics so people could find the old ones if they missed the new section, posting a new notice pinned at the top of both the new section and the section the topics where moved and closed from plus this thread here the only thing I think Roy could have done was to post in each individual thread and repeat himself about what was going on. People have already restarted two of the threads, perhaps more. I think all those threads will be restarted by the end of the day, not really skipping much of a beat.

Just my opinion though.

One of the funny(sad) things is how many people don't read pinned threads, or especially--don't notice new ones. When there's like 7 pinned threads, no one notices an 8th one added.

I mean, we STILL have people posting about "Stealth!" :)

Actually I finally removed the stealth ban. I don't think its of importance now that will become an over done topic like it was in the past.

As for notices there still be some who will be shocked. Think of it like this. In your snail mail box is a letter from the place you brought your car with the words "Final Notice" on it. You panic and rip open the letter and read that its the final notice for there stupid sale. Every month they keep sending you that same letter. You either throw it right away or keep it in a big junk mail pile. Then one day you find that they reposessed your car. You make some phone calls and find out some payments didn't get through. You scream, "If you never got the payments why didn't you try to contact me!" They explain that they sent you a few letter. You look in junk mail pile and you see a letter from them titled "Notice" you thought it was just another ad for a stupid sale. I can leave messages all over the place but some people will still think its either junk mail or something they'll read later.

• 2 weeks later...

You know Roy, I understand that you may be slightly mad at some of these users for labeling their threads with "official, super, mega" because they get to big and after reading your first post in this thread, I decided to do what you said by not calling any threads in particular of mine's super, official, and mega like I did with the my Space Shooter topic. You also make a good point about new threads not appearing for days as a result of this but a feasible suggestion that I have would be to limit each super thread to 10-15 pages before having them locked and forcing users to start a new thread. I think that's a system that works very well among the users and administrators.

haha.. damn. That's why I never got my own title under my avatar. Not enough sucking.

Speaking of that, what's the difference between a 'vice' and 'mini' moderator? Just noticed that. Do you get bigger thread-destruction powers?

Slightly back on topic, I have noticed both a large influx of new members and increasingly bizarre off-topic threads and multiple useless posts to bolster post numbers fast. In my more cynical moments, I think that someone who's been here for 3 months and has a 4 figure post count is not an especially sanguine or opinionated fellow.

haha.. damn. That's why I never got my own title under my avatar. Not enough sucking.

Speaking of that, what's the difference between a 'vice' and 'mini' moderator? Just noticed that. Do you get bigger thread-destruction powers?

Slightly back on topic, I have noticed both a large influx of new members and increasingly bizarre off-topic threads and multiple useless posts to bolster post numbers fast. In my more cynical moments, I think that someone who's been here for 3 months and has a 4 figure post count is not an especially sanguine or opinionated fellow.

391357[/snapback]

Vice Mod: MWUAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!

mini mod: mhuahahahahahahahaha!

j/k :p

I agree about the increased amount of useless posts though.