www.macrossnexus.com

Mechamaniac

Hey guys, I wanted to upload stuff, but it seems that jce doesn't work on my computer at all. Do you have some editor panel or something visible? I have nothing, when I choose to use jce. :(

379335[/snapback]

I think Mechamaniac got you all sorted out this morning. If not, let me know! And, of course, you can post questions on our own forums now. ;)

Best

Hurin

Ugh! I guess a lot of us use Firefox now because nobody mentioned how craptacular the semi-transparent logo for our forums looked in IE! Apparently, IE (pre-IE7) can't handle alpha-blended transparent PNG files. So, our logo was coming up with a *really* ugly background.

Anyways, was able to put in some javascript which fixes the problem. So, if anyone snuck a peak at our forums and ran away in horror because you use IE and it looked terrible, please try it again now.

Thanks!

H

Apparently, IE (pre-IE7) can't handle alpha-blended transparent PNG files. So, our logo was coming up with a *really* ugly background.

You'd be correct. Internet Explorer can't currently properly render PNG-format transparencies. That'll be fixed in IE 7.0. Unfortunately, IE is still used by a lot of people, so as a web designer I normally recommend shying away from transparent PNG files in favor of some hand-blended JPGs until there's full cross-browser support for PNG format.

Apparently, IE (pre-IE7) can't handle alpha-blended transparent PNG files. So, our logo was coming up with a *really* ugly background.

You'd be correct. Internet Explorer can't currently properly render PNG-format transparencies. That'll be fixed in IE 7.0. Unfortunately, IE is still used by a lot of people, so as a web designer I normally recommend shying away from transparent PNG files in favor of some hand-blended JPGs until there's full cross-browser support for PNG format.

380607[/snapback]

yeah, good advice. But oddly, when I first tried things without transparent PNG, each browser was subtely altering the color of the faux background. So on IE, things didn't match. If I adjusted for IE, Firefox wouldn't match. . . as usual.

But, I found a pretty good fix for the problem here. A simple javascript put into the header for the boards that is only implemented by IE and ignored by FF. But for the main site, we're going to just avoid transparent PNG as you suggest.

H

• 2 months later...

I've been meaning to get around to this since we started, but as fate would have it, work actually had me occupied during and after the workday for the last month, so I had to put it on the back burner.

Anyhoo, excuses aside, I have FINALLY completed the first couple of character bios for the main site...

Please check them out here...

Hikaru Ichijo

Bruno J. Global

Suggestions are welcomed, and IF ANYONE WANTS TO CONTRIBUTE, LET US KNOW!!

• 6 months later...

Just an FYI:

We've upgraded the forums on Macross Nexus to IPB v2.2.x. This is a substantial upgrade. There's a lot of new (and some crazy) features in this new version. Friends lists. Member ratings/voting. Profile comments. All new posting editor. And much more. On the surface, it looks very similar. But once you scratch the surface, there's a lot of interesting stuff all of which can be disabled if some of the new features are too freaky). Feel free to register and check it out. You might even consider it a sneak-peak at what MW will eventually be running (presumably).

H

• 3 months later...

Well, we finally broke down and added a fully "off-topic" forum. So, anyone who wants to vent can head on over there. Though pr0n and politics are still not allowed. ;)

H