When Clearcoating...

phatslappy

I'd like to do a few customs, now that I've got strike and ostrich armor on the way. So, I'm curious, what's a good clearcoat to use that would protect the valk from flaking? My paint on my VF-1D is cracking like crazy from a few transformations. I'd like for my future customs to be able to handle the rigors of a few transformations every now and then...

Have you guys ever had a problem getting an even glossy coat when airbrushing Future? A grainy/pebbly surface? When building it in thin coats. I used to fight a lot with that, I haven't recently practised it more though. Last time I got already a lot better results. But not that perfect yet. When I next time do some airbrushing I'll try to test it with as small pressure as possible, I suspect it might work better, not sure. It could help the leveling/prevent too early drying, if that's the problem. I take it also should be sprayed in incredibly thin coats to work right. It's pretty hard to control & see. Opinions etc?

Yeah, that is the page, though it doesn't solve much problems when making thin coats IIRC. Many people prefer spraying it in thin coats. But I will do some more testing on both ways to use it, thin and heavy. I was just thinking if somebody has had the same problem, and would've had something to say I don't know yet. It's not that big problem anymore, but still needs some tweaking and testing.

I asked only just in case, since this was discussed now. :)

Most everyone would point you to this:

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

And actually he says go for heavier coats.  Makes sense, since for canopies you literally dunk it and let the excess pour off, and that makes it glass-smooth.

375589[/snapback]

Awesome thanks for the link, lots of helpful stuff there.

Future can, and is, used for everything. The following procedure is not at all uncommon:

Primer.

Color.

Future to smooth surface for decals.

Cut decal from sheet, DUNK DECAL IN FUTURE USING FUTURE AS A WATER AND DECAL SET SUBSTITUTE, apply.

Future to seal decals.

Weather.

Future to seal weathering.

Flattened Future for final finish.

I have yet to use Future instead of Micro-Set etc, but plenty of people like it and say it prevents silvering better than anything else.

Future can, and is, used for everything.  The following procedure is not at all uncommon:

Primer.

Color.

Cut decal from sheet, DUNK DECAL IN FUTURE USING FUTURE AS A WATER AND DECAL SET SUBSTITUTE, apply.

Future to seal decals.

Weather.

Flattened Future for final finish. *

I have yet to use Future instead of Micro-Set etc, but plenty of people like it and say it prevents silvering better than anything else.

378283[/snapback]

How do you flatten Future???

Future can, and is, used for everything.  The following procedure is not at all uncommon:

Primer.

Color.

Future to seal decals.

Weather.

Flattened Future for final finish. *

378283[/snapback]

How do you flatten Future???

378314[/snapback]

Duh, you step on the bottle!

Primer.

Color.

Future to seal decals.

Weather.

Flattened Future for final finish.

378283[/snapback]

I've heard of people using it to glue canopies as well. Unfortunetly no one has been able to turn it into a good desert topping yet (very old SNL joke).

Tamiya flat can flatten almost anything, but I'd try Testor's acryl stuff first--I've read a few issues about mixing Tamiya and Future directly.

I've disliked every "not normal model cement" I've ever tried for a canopy. They all seem to dissolve readily in water. Not good when trying to decal pilot's names by the canopy! I've had more than one "glued" canopy come off during decaling. I just use normal glue, very carefully and in small amounts.