You're all forgetting perhaps the most well known use of rotoscoping ever: the lightsaber blades in the original Star Wars trilogy were rotoscoped.

"Rotoscoping has also been used to allow a special visual effect (such as a glow, for example) to be guided by the matte or rotoscoped line. One classic use of traditional rotoscoping was in the original three Star Wars films, where it was used to create the glowing lightsaber effect, by creating a matte based on sticks held by the actors."

From Wikipedia.

It was ok in my book too...nothing to rant and rave about, and nothing to defend the haters either who have placed valid points of crap about the movie. I have the DVD also, its worthy of being played in the background if I'm playing WoW or something.

Thought Titan AE was a horrid little film. Can't even remember why I rented it.

Graham

360840[/snapback]

No gay space monsters eh?! The hero doesn't wear a dress!? No pink space equipment with boobs!???

NO WONDER YOU DIDN"T LIKE IT!

360886[/snapback]

It didn't have any thickly-accented steroid-abusing Californian governors ether.

360888[/snapback]

Arnold never abused steriods, he used them, there is a difference.

You're all forgetting perhaps the most well known use of rotoscoping ever: the lightsaber blades in the original Star Wars trilogy were rotoscoped.

"Rotoscoping has also been used to allow a special visual effect (such as a glow, for example) to be guided by the matte or rotoscoped line. One classic use of traditional rotoscoping was in the original three Star Wars films, where it was used to create the glowing lightsaber effect, by creating a matte based on sticks held by the actors."

From Wikipedia.

360942[/snapback]

Really? I didn't know that.

and dont forget that star wars was a rip off of samurai movies and old japanese culture, just with a sci-fi twist

360681[/snapback]

Actually, I'd say the Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers serials were an even bigger influence. The original story did look a lot like a Hidden Fortress remake, but very little of that survived into the final film.

As for Titan A.E., I've only ever seen bits and pieces of it, but what I saw didn't impress me.

Damn, and I thought I was just pulling stuff out of my ass.

361016[/snapback]

You actually thought Arnold was natural?

361018[/snapback]

*shrugs*

More like didn't care.

361046[/snapback]

That guy is more important than Jesus, Ghandi, and the Dali Lama combined. EVERYTHING he does is important.

Damn, and I thought I was just pulling stuff out of my ass.

361016[/snapback]

You actually thought Arnold was natural?

361018[/snapback]

*shrugs*

More like didn't care.

361046[/snapback]

That guy is more important than Jesus, Ghandi, and the Dali Lama combined. EVERYTHING he does is important.

361189[/snapback]

Jesus, Ghandi, and the Dali Lama were a combiner trio?

Why don't people mention that more often?

Didn't they use Rotoscoping for the intro to Cowboy Bebop: The Movie?

I thought that was done pretty well.

361052[/snapback]

Actually, they did. And since it's one of the coolest opening sequencies I've seen, I'm somewhat eating my own words. But just for this one.

Being in animation school at the time this movie came out (or maybe it came out after I graduated, but was still in the area of my school) I heard some interesting stories about the production of this movie.

Now my memory is a bit foggy on the subject, but I recall hearing that Fox gave Bluth very little control over the movie, pulling the script several times while the film was already into production, forcing the animators to redo a lot of scenes repeatedly. The script itself was primarily made by committee, as too many movies are these days.

I also heard that midway through production, the budget of the movie was slashed considerably and about half the animators were laid off. Subsequent layoffs followed. Before the movie was finished, Fox informed Phoenix Studios that no matter how well the movie did, they were all to be laid off anyways.

Now, I make no claims as to the authenticity of these stories, it's just what I heard. In school I often heard a lot of stories from the industry, and most of them turned out to be true, so I kinda take it for granted.

Personally, I thought the movie was full of wasted potential. I'm not the biggest Bluth fan out there, but anyone trying to push 2D animation outside of Japan these days is OK in my book.

Now If I remember was not there something similar to this done to Macross. Cant remeber which series but I know i read it somewhere.

I would explain a lot. I mean. You write a good story someone starts making a film and then the money givers start to change things, sooner or later your story is not yours, add to this a production team who know they are out of a job as soon as they are done, if I was one of them I`d hardly be bothered about doing my best work.

I know that storylines get changed in films as they are produced anyway but there comes a point where it is no up to the writers and all down to the bean counters.

Lots of good films both animated and real have bombed due to money cuts and excessive medling with scripts.