New Project

captain america

Hi Mika.

I wanted to use some remaining Smooth On silicone to make the molds for the seated pilot. However, the stuff seems to have gone bad (it was still all lumpy & bubbly when I removed it from the vacuum chamber.) I should have known better than to pour it over the parts but oh well. I'll just re-extract the parts tomorrow and start with some fresh Rhodia silicone; no biggie. Just a bit of a PITA to redo all the sprues & gates on the parts.

Won't affect the kit quality, just an annoyance that'll put me a few days behind... A "speed bump" on the modelling road.

Hmm... the standing figure is very nice, and rather appealing, but the only thing that strikes me as odd is the seeming lack of more 'clothy' parts... I thought I remebered it being more of a cloth suit with armor plates, but perhaps I was wrong. I might have to debate getting one..it looks cool, but I'm not sure if painting all those smooth curves would be fun...

That's actually a very interesting point you bring up; I was trying to wrap my mind around exactly what the body armor would consist of in order to be as user-friendly as possible. In so much as there was no data that i could find, here's what I went with:

-Helmet, main breast-plate, shoulder pads and midriff plate: hard armor to protect the vitals; the latter being hinged for better mobility.

-upper arms, forearms, thighs, crotch, butt-plate and boots: made of a semi-flexible material (think of a soft PVC). Something that might stop small-arms fire, but still allow enough flexibility and mobility to the user.

All these would go over a 2-piece (sweater & pants) type outfit, most probably made of some sort of insulated nomex/kevlar-type material that would act as the main space suit, and be extremely flexible while providing some minimal protection from small calibre arms or edged weapons.

As for the footwear, their size and shape leads me to believe that the soldier's foot actually sits quite high in the boot, and thus serves to protect the user from burried artillery/explosives (mines, etc.)

Essentially, a not too high-tech, cheap, and basic uniform that could be mass-produced and provide adequate protection for the grunts of the Zentradi army.

Any chance of the pic for the parts breakdown? I'm looking to repose mine into a more violent pose. B))

369931[/snapback]

There have been a couple posted:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...e=post&id=29748

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...e=post&id=29948

Personally I think it looks better than I'd hoped - it doesn't look like I'll have any trouble with my slumped-dead-guy diorama, whenever I get the time to actually do any modelling... ;-)

Quick update.

I can actually start shipping a few kits today, or at least, the couple orders for standing pilots only. The molds for the seated pilot, as you know, needed re-doing which had put me back in the first place, but all is well again, and yet more orders will go out on Friday as promised.

I came up with an interesting little surprise for the seated pilot, which will allow a slight bit of adjustability in those cramped quarters :D

I came up with an interesting little surprise for the seated pilot, which will allow a slight bit of adjustability in those cramped quarters :D

370482[/snapback]

Ahaa, it's made of silicone! *needs sleep*

370483[/snapback]

Close, I cast the seated soldier's trunk/midsection out of urethane rubber. The advantage that this has over silicone is that rubber can be painted, and the part is cast seamless :D

Also, as promised, I shipped out the orders for the following MWers:

-Jorwar_b

-darklord4

More will ship Friday.

Instructions are also in the works. Need sleep...

Hi John,

I got the kits in the mail yesterday, and spent several minutes looking them over.

These are going to be a hoot to build! What are your recommendations for painting

the rubber torso for the seated pilot? Just primer it first and then shoot your

favorite paint over it?

I am eagerly awaiting the instuctions and paint guides.

AZRhino

Edited by azrhino

Weird, I'm one of the closest MW member to John in Canada (~200km), so I should have gotten my set before AZ and GH, who live in the States... But then again, I've already been spoiled cause for every other kit I bought from John, I would just drive down to his place to pick them up in person! :p:lol:

Edited by Viceland

Hi John,

I got the kits in the mail yesterday, and spent several minutes looking them over.

These are going to be a hoot to build! What are your recommendations for painting

the rubber torso for the seated pilot? Just primer it first and then shoot your

favorite paint over it?

I am eagerly awaiting the instuctions and paint guides.

AZRhino

373797[/snapback]

Actually, I've done some paint tests on the rubber torso, and if you give it a good scrubbin' with a toothbrush and some dish soap, you'll be able to paint on it directly, no primer required. Personally, I use Tamiya acrylics, as the softness of the paint allows for a tiny bit of flex, and adheres quite well.

I sense a disturbance in the Force. The rest of you pay me no mind, the people I'm addressing know who they are. Watch your six, John.

374390[/snapback]

What the hell are you talking about? Do we have some HG pukes hanging around here?

374409[/snapback]

No HG pukes will deprive MW of the wonder and beauti that is the captains work. it has already been done once and wont happen again.

374421[/snapback]

Jeez, John pump out those beauties before those 'tards get movin.

374614[/snapback]

BSU... Seriously, WTH is going on? Did I miss something on another thread? Somebody PM me, or something... Aaarrggghhh....

1/72 scale 15 inch rounds coming right up in both conventional and highyeild warheads for the discriminating warmonger. The Monster militia will be backed up with my armor to run over the feet of these HG cronies :D

WoW! These are so awesome! Got mine today, been sitting at the post office for 4 days! The package delivery notice had fell face down in the snow a few feet from my front door, the all white back side of the notice kind of made it hard to see, so I never saw it, my 3yo son found it while playing "shoveling the driveway with dad".