Five lion robots that come together to form one giant robot is cool for animation; I'd wager not so much for live action...

Just so long as it doesn't end up looking like the new MegaZord (I.E., Bayformers without the name)

Honestly, I think the new Megazord is making a DIFFERENT set of mistakes than Bayformers.

Instead of looking like a giant ball of scrap given life, it looks like a giant Power Ranger. On the upside, yay for a cohesive design with an identifiable character outline, but on the downside... the Bayformers actually looked like robots.

Anyways, here is hoping that this movie, if it ever gets off the ground, is competent.

True. Credit where it is due, they HAVE listened to feedback. They are more cohesive while still being recognizably mechanical.

Except for the one with the coat. Which was silly as hell, but awesome anyways.

Edited by JB0

• 3 weeks later...

Playmate Combine Action Figure VOLTRON: Legendary Defender

February 2017

Combine all five Legendary Lions to form a 16″ Voltron and unlock more than 50 authentic phrases and sound effects.

More description and photos for each individual Legendary Electronic Lions at TagHobby.

PLM11412.jpg

001-4.jpg

005-3.jpg

011-2.jpg

017-1.jpg

023.jpg

019-1.jpg

This looks like it could be fun. I watched this with my boy and we both really enjoyed it! I'm not too keen on the new design for the Black Lion but I'll probably pick this up for my son and enjoy it vicariously through him.

This looks like it could be fun. I watched this with my boy and we both really enjoyed it! I'm not too keen on the new design for the Black Lion but I'll probably pick this up for my son and enjoy it vicariously through him.

Funny, I was just thinking how awesome the black lion's wing-jetpack looked and how great it was that the wings weren't just THERE on the lion's back for no real reason.

• 3 weeks later...

Price update on that Playmates Legendary Defender figure from AmiAmi. Though it's provisional preorder*.

4 Type Set (Blue, Red, Green, Yellow Lions) - Y16990

However, the Black Lion link can't be clicked as of now. And there's one link that shows 5 of them. It gives error pages when clicked. But atleast, you'll get ideas how much it's going to be.

*AmiAmi's provisional preorder explanation

Q. What is a Provisional Pre-order?
A. Items whose prices are subject to change or whose stock levels are subject to change may be marked as "Provisional pre-order." These items can be ordered as normal and customers will be notified in the event of a price change or change in availability for their order.

Why would you order this from amiami? You can get all 5 on amazon for $115.

Sorry about that. I didn't know it was available at Amazon. I just saw that AmiAmi page so I just shared it here. Probably that price is applicable for members who lives in Japan, I guess.

So now I'm adding the Amazon page here for westerners.

Voltron Legendary Defender Bundle for $114.95. Free shipping for Amazon Prime members.

• 2 weeks later...

I like keeping my bots in their alt modes, but I'm starting to think that this piece would be just as enjoyable in its combined form...

On 12/29/2016 at 5:34 PM, dapro said:

What is your feed back on it? any known issue?

Non so far the quality is exceptional! I will hopefully Have some comparison shots showing the 80's toy and The Toynami version. I did a quick comparison with the Toynami today, and the SOC blew it away completely! The sculps are beautiful on the SOC, while Toynami's version has bad proportions all the way around. I wish the SOC packaging used thicker card board and had more of a premium feel! However the double packaging is a very nice touch, including the Voltron name on the slip cover with the Golion branding on the main box!

This is toy design at its best and I am quite happy with the over all look and feel of the toy. No need to remove green lion and red lion's tails for forming the super robot! Only gripe I have is with the Black lion's gap on the front legs, not sure why they couldn't work around that issue? I know it has to do with the legs folding back in on themselves for the super robot mode, but I still think that could have been fixed.

Over all I love the fact that they used die-cast for parts of the legs and polished them to get the chrome look. I wish they would have used it over the majority of the legs for the Green Red, and Black lion.

Beautiful product to say the least!!!

Here are a few Quick shots of the toy, please forgive the blurry images. Need to set up lighting better as  I was rushing to shoot some photos for you all. The photos don't do the toy justice as there are many qualities lost in the photos.

I also did a quick comparison from the 80's Bandai version, Toynami, and the new SOC! Toynami just stinks in comparison! I only liked the Toynami version initially because if the longer legs on the red and green lions. The sculpts on the Toynami are horrible and out of proportion! I still prefered the 80's version until now.

Possibility is incredible with legs of the lions being able to spread sideways to get a wide stance. The bodies are plastic with die-cast parts for the legs giving them some good weight. I don't mind the lack of die-cast on the red and green lion at all, because they have many posing possibilities. The yellow and the blue lion's legs are mainly die-cast and to me are the best proportioned lions in the set of any Voltron / Golion toy.

Overall I'm very satisfied with this toy and the features! I'll take better photos and compare the formed robot form as well.

FrontBoxIMG_1168.jpg

InnerBoxFrontIMG_1169.jpg

InnerTrayLionsIMG_1170.jpg

BlackLionCamparrisonIMG_1171.jpg

BlackLionComparrisonIMG_1172.jpg

GreenLionComparrisonIMG_1173.jpg

GreenLionComparrisonIMG_1174.jpg

5LionsIMG_1176.jpg

5 LionsIMG_1177.jpg

5LionsIMG_1178.jpg