The weight of the diecast really limits the dynamic posing you can do with the legs. You really can't do much except a standing pose with them. Granted it's a really nice looking 'like the toon' standing pose that the original toys were incapable of doing. Apart from that, it really doesn't affect anything else(on mine at least).

• 2 months later...

Rant: You know, the more I look at it, the more I think they did *nothing* more than copy the old one from the 80's for nostalgia's sake. Plus balljoints. It's not at all a "masterpiece" design----while the legs can't be improved THAT much, I've always thought that in 20 years, surely we could get better arms when in lion mode. And a better black lion in every mode.

I'd really like to see a truly new Voltron some day. One that actually uses "modern transforming toy tech" and tries to follow line art and animation, rather than copying an old toy. Either big or complex enough to actually hide the lion legs, etc. It'd be easy with a few hinged/flipping panels---so long as you don't needlessly make everything out of solid diecast for no reason other than nostalgia. Then copy it in plastic...

Rant: You know, the more I look at it, the more I think they did *nothing* more than copy the old one from the 80's for nostalgia's sake. Plus balljoints. It's not at all a "masterpiece" design----while the legs can't be improved THAT much, I've always thought that in 20 years, surely we could get better arms when in lion mode. And a better black lion in every mode.

I'd really like to see a truly new Voltron some day. One that actually uses "modern transforming toy tech" and tries to follow line art and animation, rather than copying an old toy. Either big or complex enough to actually hide the lion legs, etc. It'd be easy with a few hinged/flipping panels---so long as you don't needlessly make everything out of solid diecast for no reason other than nostalgia. Then copy it in plastic...

Maybe when(if?) the movie comes out.

Then we can complain about the horrible designs/script/acting of the movie instead. I have faith in Hollywood's ability to screw it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is supposed to arrive on Tuesday. This will be my first transforming Golion (voltron) toy as I did not have it as a kid (but wanted it bad) and did not get the diecast version. I have a small vintage non transforming diecast but this is a whole different thing. I am really excited. I will report as soon as I can but just to let you know that I do not have much of a reference point in terms of comparing it to other transforming voltron toys. I did however have the Godaikin GoggleV in the 1980s which was similar to the original golion. I wish I still had that!

For those living in the Philippines...

Jollibee's latest Kiddie Meal comes with any of the 5 Lions, and apparently can combine to form Voltron too! :D Check out this review: http://hrudu.wordpress.com/2008/09/20/voltron-kiddie-meal/

I smell ebay hawkers on the sidelines hoarding the Kiddie Meals :ph34r:

Edited by valkyriepilot

OK, so it just arrived. Quick review, more later.

1. Great box!

2. Great sculpt and look!

3. Limited poseability / not fine enough notches.

4. Some parts ittle bit floppy some parts actually too tight.

Overall, I am very very happy with this. It is beautiful.

Someday hopefully there will be an even more detailed version with opening cockpits and pilots.

For those living in the Philippines...

Jollibee's latest Kiddie Meal comes with any of the 5 Lions, and apparently can combine to form Voltron too! :D Check out this review: http://hrudu.wordpress.com/2008/09/20/voltron-kiddie-meal/

I smell ebay hawkers on the sidelines hoarding the Kiddie Meals :ph34r:

Mmmmmm. I used to live off of Joliibee Chickenjoys and Burger Steaks when I was there in 2005.

It's too bad the Jollibee in the Bay Area has RIDICULOUS prices. I guess I should stop comparing prices. LOL.

3. Limited poseability / not fine enough notches.

4. Some parts ittle bit floppy some parts actually too tight.

Now, is that different than the metal version, or are they more or less the same?

Now, is that different than the metal version, or are they more or less the same?

I could assign all of miriya's points to my die-cast Voltron, as well. The only mold changes were to make plastic parts instead of die-cast, I believe, everything else should be the same. Only, you know, 1/3rd of the price.

I have to say that I really love this figure. It is probably the best value of any toy I have bought in the last few years.

I never had any of the originals as a kid but always wanted one. My frineds had them and I would get to play with them at their houses. This sculpt though is much better than the blocky sculpts of the 1980s versions. I did say that this does not have much articulation but that is really in comparison to moder toys. Comparing to the 1980s versions this has a lot more "realistic" poseability that gives it a more "anime correct" look. It is on my desk at work for now so that I can gawk at it all day. Overall I am very pleased.

I have to say that I really love this figure. It is probably the best value of any toy I have bought in the last few years.

I never had any of the originals as a kid but always wanted one. My frineds had them and I would get to play with them at their houses. This sculpt though is much better than the blocky sculpts of the 1980s versions. I did say that this does not have much articulation but that is really in comparison to moder toys. Comparing to the 1980s versions this has a lot more "realistic" poseability that gives it a more "anime correct" look. It is on my desk at work for now so that I can gawk at it all day. Overall I am very pleased.

Hey Miriya what parts appeared a little floppy? In addition are the ball jointed necks of the lions nice and tight? On the diecast version I sold a while ago the black lion's neck was so loose it felt like there was zero friction between the joint and the socket.

Edited by SuperHobo

Hey Miriya what parts appeared a little floppy? In addition are the ball jointed necks of the lions nice and tight? On the diecast version I sold a while ago the black lion's neck was so loose it felt like there was zero friction between the joint and the socket.

On mine the hips are a bit floppy and the shoulders a bit too. The necks of the lions are alright but the black lion is a bit loose although does stay in pose.

does the black lion's tail stay up when in Voltron mode? That's the only problem my original diecast one is having. the tail likes to fall down.

The tail is staying up on mine.

Well after a week of having this and not really playing with it much, the poseability is decreasing. His arms are less able to hold the poses that he did last week. they just kinda fall down. However it is still a very cool toy and I am still happy with it.

miriya,

you got the toynami diecast one right? or that plastic one?

i own the diecast one, its really nice and all but due to the heavey diecast content in the arms and the fact that most of the joints operate on friction, its kind of meh. nice but still meh.

i'm considering getting the plastic one just because it looks like you can sort of play with it.

the only thing that lame is they still haven't made them fire missiles or included any of the accessories that came with the original golion set. does anyone have an kind words for this plastic one?

No, I do not have the diecast one. Only the plastic one. It is playable though, but I have found that a little play makes the limited joints even more limited. It is rather sturdy though. I even let my 3 & 1/2 year old play with it last night and no cracks scratches or breaks.

I would have liked cockpits with pilots as an extra feature. That and better joints.

• 2 years later...