Yamato Exec 1: "Man, we really showed Toynami. The fans hate their crap now because our stuff is so good."

Exec 2: "Yeah, the only Toynami product anyone seems to really love is their Voltron."

Exec 1: "Those slimy bastids! Make a Voltron at once, make it 2x as good at 4x the price. We'll show them."

I for one, think this whole bit smells heavily of misinformation. I find it hard to believe the whole world has been scooped by this site. THen again, stranger things have happened.

...And there's less wierd questions about why you have a girl that doesn't speak english locked in your house.

It sounds as if you speak from experience, JBZERO :p

Dunno, from the pic it does look as if it is in fact the Toynami Voltron... Any Voltron experts here?

Edited by Hiriyu

Well looking at it now, of course it isn't good.

I'd collect it just for the memories. Cause my childhood (all one decade and a half ago) was deprived of Macross.

And I do disagree that the Toynami version of Voltron is good. The old Lionbots had way better proportions, I hate the legs of the lions. And they had more accessories too. Bulk up the lions and the details and I'm there. For three only. But if it is the at the price that the ad has mentioned, I'll be waiting a long time. I'd rather spend that money on a Low Viz.

EDIT: Oh s h i t. it's a limited edition figure.

Edited by kensei

Well looking at it now, of course it isn't good.

I'd collect it just for the memories. Cause my childhood (all one decade and a half ago) was deprived of Macross.

And I do disagree that the Toynami version of Voltron is good. The old Lionbots had way better proportions, I hate the legs of the lions. And they had more accessories too. Bulk up the lions and the details and I'm there. For three only. But if it is the at the price that the ad has mentioned, I'll be waiting a long time. I'd rather spend that money on a Low Viz.

EDIT: Oh s h i t. it's a limited edition figure.

I like the Toynami Voltron. Only thing I like from them... rest are POS. Not that stupid Voltron 3rd dimension crap I saw in KB Toys. My friend bought it. Now I have the old Lionbots and I have to agree with kensei on the accessories. They had the accessories for the individual lions that were anime accurate.

• 3 months later...

sorry to drag this old arse topic up but i needs your help!

i'm trying to buy a lion voltron but which one is worth getting?

most of the talk here on these boards are about toynami's voltron but i've read mixed reviews and don't want to take a chance with toynami if its going to be craptastic like their valks....excuse me, veritechs.

any suggestions on which one is actually of decent qualtiy and worth owning?

I still maintain that the only advantage that the Toynami Voltron had over the classic Voltron is poseability. Many owners of the Toynami set have said that they were not confident in the potential longetivity of the product, saying that multiple transformations would probably result in breakage somewhere. Also, you have to like the sculpt and look of the Toynami lions-personally, I don't.

Summarily, unless you like the looks of the Toynami lions and have to have their poseability, you'd be better off with the "straight leg" classic Voltron toys...

I still maintain that the only advantage that the Toynami Voltron had over the classic Voltron is poseability. Many owners of the Toynami set have said that they were not confident in the potential longetivity of the product, saying that multiple transformations would probably result in breakage somewhere. Also, you have to like the sculpt and look of the Toynami lions-personally, I don't.

Summarily, unless you like the looks of the Toynami lions and have to have their poseability, you'd be better off with the "straight leg" classic Voltron toys...

thanks for the info!

longetivity eh? that doesn't sound too good. :( whats the deal with the plastic they used? is it of the same craptastic qualtiy as there MPC veritechs?, cause that plastic really sucked beyond the suckiest suck that could suck.

i was looking at the old school ones and saw that there are many bootlegs and slight varients here and there, chrome, bronze, motorized, metal, plastic,.....its too much! also some of the old ones have all sorts of weapons and accessories which adds to the cool factor. i really want one but the classic go-lions are mucho $$$$$$ while the toynami one is $.

as far as godzilla promoting the toynami version, i guess that makes a difference but i'm pretty sure greg doesn't play wiht his voltron in the slightest. hes all old like the rest of us and probably stares at the toy more than he handles it. i'll try shooting him a PM about it, i'm sure he'll give the toy a bashing if it deserves a bashing.

thanks again :)

IMHO, the Toynami Voltron is really nothing special. The old Voltron Lions with tons of accessories for each individual Lion is much better than the lazy Toynami Lion Voltron which doesn't offer anything new in terms of mold design, aesthetics, or use of today's new tech to create the old Lions. The posability is very limited, due to the weight. I'm not expecting it to do backflips, but it's not that easy to pose the Toynami Voltron.

Sure, you could argue that the Lions are somewhat truthful to their anime counterparts, but when compared to something like the 20th Anni. Prime, this Toynami masterpiece is a letdown.

bah, thats not what i wanted to read. :(

damn it, i wants a voltron but the price for the classic one is a bit much plus it'll be USED...i hate buying used stuff, especially on ebay. maybe i should just hold out longer but i don't see anyone else getting the coltron license.

whats up with this tread master version they sold out TRU? is that thing totally bootleg? is it decent? whats a good price for it?

anything new in terms of mold design, aesthetics, or use of today's new tech to create the old Lions. The posability is very limited, due to the weight. I'm not expecting it to do backflips, but it's not that easy to pose the Toynami Voltron.

I don't own one but I've done lots of research on them and here's how it shakes from what I've read

I think the quote above should be tempered by the following comments:

1) The Toynami Voltron DOES look much better than classic renditions. They took a lot of the blockiness away from the lions and gave them their lion shape back.

2) The Toynami Voltron is MUCH more poseable than the old Voltrons. I own the old Voltrons and you can do almost nothing at all with them. Even if the Toynami isn't this uber exciting action figure toy it's still heaps better than the old ones and I remember pics on MW even showing this off.

IIRC the durability questions of the Voltron aren't an issue of the Lions individually. Each lion was said to have good heft and feel very sturdy (and can actually be posed on their own well in comparison to the old bricks with legs). What concerned people was the connectors when the Lions went into Robot mode. I guess people were scared because the pieces that actually connect are all plastic. This is where it'd help a lot if I owned one because I think those pieces have to be plastic or else you'd rip the finish off the metal after a few transformations.

The big bummer of the Toynami seemed to be that some people felt it looked too thin in Robot mode and that it doesn't have all the cool gadgets of the old big Voltron (trap doors that reveal weapons and such). I loved my big Voltron because of those weapons and the shooting heads when I was child. So now what you gotta understand is that you're going about this all wrong. Don't buy one Voltron or the other... buy them all! :D

So now what you gotta understand is that you're going about this all wrong. Don't buy one Voltron or the other... buy them all! :D

i hate you! LOL!

against my better judgement, i think i'm gonna try my luck with the toynami one, its selling for $100 plus shipping just about everywhere. plus atleast i know it'll be new whereas the old one MISB is out of hand expensive, zoinks! i'd rather fork over that kind of dough for a 1/55 VE or VT.

whats up with this tread master version they sold out TRU? is that thing totally bootleg? is it decent? whats a good price for it?

I have one of these, and it's greatness. Naturally, you get the sword, pointed sheild, and all the lions have individual weapons. From what I can tell, it's just like the old-school one. I don't have any pictures of it as it packed away about 250 miles away from me right now.

What is Voltron? I've never heard of it before :wacko:

Voltron is robot lions and giant monsters and combination sequences and comic-relief space mice and evil kings with pointy ears and FORM BLAZING SWORD! and techno-witches and a healthy dose of bad voice-acting.

In short, it's a super-robot anime. :p

If its Voltron related, I probably have it, or had it at one time. The old Matchbox III set, or the Bootleg Go-Lion set. The Trendmasters Remake, and now the Toynami release. The Trendmasters set was literally a rerelease of the old Matchbox III Voltron, with pastel colors instead of the darker metallic shades, and these stupid metal tabs on the arms (Green & Red) besides that they are almost exactly the same. From what I have read the TM versions had some QC issues in regards to voltron literally falling apart, but just like its original you could beat someone silly with it. As for the Toynami voltron, I dunno its still sitting in its box, which might I add looks nice. Thats about it, I don't wanna break it and it will eventually end up like every other Toynami item I have ever purchased.... sold to someone else. If you can still find it get yourself a Knockoff Go-Lion set, this was the best of both worlds it had the heavy diecast, plus it wasnt neutered like the Matchbox verson was.

Rob :ph34r:

If you can still find it get yourself a Knockoff Go-Lion set, this was the best of both worlds it had the heavy diecast, plus it wasnt neutered like the Matchbox verson was.

Ah, yes... American legislators wouldn't let us shoot half-ounce plastic missiles at each other, but had no problems with us throwing 2-pound metal objects at the same people...

I think some of the early Matchbox ones DID have the missile launchers intact. Not sure, though.

I know my Green and Yellow didn't.

Sadly, that was as far as I ever got on the definitive Voltron.

I completed the fugly-but-holds-pilots one through a garage sale or 2. But most of the lions are missing bits. I've got the knife, gun, and leg missiles for the blue and green lions(which are the only 2 I got new). But the important part is the Blazing Sword. No sword = no fun!

I had the little one with pullback motors in the lions too. It looked decent(relatively speaking, there WAS a plastic wheel sticking out of the crest on Voltron's chest). But mom made me give that one to my little sister, who immediately lost the sword and broke/lost the lions rapidly thereafter. Only Voltron I ever had a sword for, too...

Voltron is robot lions and giant monsters and combination sequences and comic-relief space mice and evil kings with pointy ears and FORM BLAZING SWORD! and techno-witches and a healthy dose of bad voice-acting.

In short, it's a super-robot anime. :p

I'm surprised this show or even Robotech never made it on UK television, if it was a huge hit in the USA or maybe I'm too young to remember. :blink:

I have the Matchbox re-issue and it's just like how I remembered it. It's big heavy and bulky and un-poseable. You can move the arms up or down, that's it and the thing is unstable and will fall unless you prop it up. My friend has both the Matchbox and the Toynami and I got to say the Toynami looks good and the proportions in robot mode looks great. I know people com[plain about the lion dimensions but when you pose it in your display it will be in robot mode the majority of the time and that mode looks good.

I'm surprised this show or even Robotech never made it on UK television, if it was a huge hit in the USA or maybe I'm too young to remember.

I'm pretty sure both Voltron and Robotech made it onto UK TVs. I know Robotech The Movie was released in the UK on VHS (not that that means anything). I'd have to check the Wikipedia for more info thant that though.

I'm pretty sure both Voltron and Robotech made it onto UK TVs. I know Robotech The Movie was released in the UK on VHS (not that that means anything). I'd have to check the Wikipedia for more info thant that though.

I'm not sure myself, I don't remember there being any Voltron or Robotech craze in the UK, Transformers/ Thundercats was the craze at that time. I was born in 1982 so I should remember something. Maybe they went straight to VHS, there were a lot of American shows going straight to VHS :blink:

Edited by kung flu

• 3 weeks later...

so i got a taiwan bootleg "Lionbot" a few days ago....what a POS!

it didn't help that the seller completely lied in his auction description and posted fake pics of a pristine one, then sold me a toally different one. i plunked down $122 shipped from HK($81 for the toy, $41 for EMS shipping and the bastard didn't even put it in a shipping box)for it but i'm in the process of trying to get my money back, or atleast half my money.

i ordered the toynami one the other day, hopefully it won't be a total disappointment nor a total rip off. apparently the taiwan bootlegs sell for $15-$20 over there.....man did i get hosed! :mellow:

The Toynami Voltron is not great but is a vast improvement over their previous efforts on Robotech... so much that ToyboxDX allowed it to be nominated in the running for TOTY 2006 - A first in a website where toys-by-Japanese company only is allowed. That's quite an achievement. No Yamato Syndrome on the Toynami Voltron.

Speaking of Yamato Syndrome, ToyboxDX should disqualify toys from Japanese companies that only look good but sucked at build quality and finishing from the TOTY poll.

The Toynami Voltron is not great but is a vast improvement over their previous efforts on Robotech... so much that ToyboxDX allowed it to be nominated in the running for TOTY 2006 - A first in a website where toys-by-Japanese company only is allowed. That's quite an achievement. No Yamato Syndrome on the Toynami Voltron.

Speaking of Yamato Syndrome, ToyboxDX should disqualify toys from Japanese companies that only look good but sucked at build quality and finishing from the TOTY poll.

hmmm, that would disqualify takara given how poorly I received my MP convoy (stress marks and spilled chrome paint on the cab right out of the box) and the MP SS (more stress marks in this one toy than in all my 1/48's combined.)