Great review Datterboy, you hit all the major points.

I just got mine the other day as well. Very impressed with the toy overall. Very hefty and makes me feel that I actually bought something substantial. The book packaging is awesome too for those who like to keep things in box. I like how the front and back covers open to reveal the lions inside. Though the posability is what made me take the plunge into buying it and I think it satisfies as a modern update to the classic, similar to what I feel about the 1/48 valks, binaltech and MP-OP.

The lack of hidden goodies and accessories dont matter much to me. I also have the trendmaster re-issue and keep the extra stuff in the box (and who actually shoots out the heads more than once, anyway?). I like my Voltron combined and menacingly posed. It now replaces the old one and stands on a shelf alongside only my 1/3000 MB SDF-1 and Takara MP-OP as the Holy Trinity of my childhood TV.

I think its a great toy and a must buy for Voltron fans. I would definitely sweep one up if you find a deal somewhere. Who knows if/when another voltron toy will be made?

Edited by ValkJunkie

I have one but I haven't had the opportunity to check it out yet. I'll guess I'll get around to it soon.

I agree with others while the individual weapons would have been nice I usually leave them in the box. Maybe I should have gotten a second one to display as lions.

here's my mini review....

there are things i like and things i don't like about it. The number 1 thing this has got going for it is poseability. It is very articulate and the proportions are actually quite nice. The quality of each lion has its pros and cons too.... the die-cast feels quite nice and sturdy, but the plastic used for the legs and the head just kinda suck.

PLUS the coloring for the head to the body is off, especially on the Yellow Lion. That's why the head looks kinda funny. The paint job on the die-cast parts are really nice... especially on the green and blue Lions. They have sparkly pearls in the paint, but the red and yellow lions are kinda dull comparitively.

The big dissapointment in this set is the lack of extras. The Sword and Shield are nicely sculpted, but as far as the extras on the Lions themselves, there's nothing fantastic about them to make them worth displaying in their lion forms. With the time they took on making this... they could have added all the cool little features that the old voltron toys did, where the missle in the yellow lion fired, or at least it was there. And where the sides of the yellow lion's heads popped open. Or on the Blue lion where the backpack came up to shoot something and such.

Even the green and red lion's head don't fire, but i can see how the exchanged this feature for poseability. However, i still think it could have been possible to make it launch and still have poseability. SOOOOO.... all and all... i like it in its combined form a lot. The lack of anything else wil make sure this baby stays this way for long while in my display case....

12-28-05009.jpg

12-28-05007.jpg

12-28-05006.jpg

12-28-05005.jpg

12-28-05004.jpg

12-28-05003.jpg

12-28-05002.jpg

I think Toynami should take a cue from Takara's MP Convoy(Prime) like all Masterpiece makers should do. They spared no options other than the trialer for Prime. NO OPTIONS were spared. Even the damn mouth moved and the matrix lit up. I very much do believe that you can fire the heads on all 4 lions if they just wanted to include it. All the old extras could have been done as well. The price may have been higher, but then there would likely be no comparison between the old and the new.

The lack of extras does detract from the Masterpiece theme of this Voltron, although I really do like this version of the mighty robot. Who knows, maybe a Masterpiece 2.0?

Now THAT would be a real pain to super-articulate, as they did with the Lions. 15 individual pieces that would have to be sturdy enough to interlock yet remain flexible enough to be poseable-ugh...

Here are some of my updated Yellow Lion pics. I'm not fininshed, but this will give you a little idea of how a little panel lining really helps this MPC Voltron shine. The overall look on the legs is subtle but nice. I left one side plain so you can see the difference.

HPIM0131.jpg

HPIM0133.jpg

I too would love to see a well done MPC Vehicle Voltron. Heck, I would love to see a weapons set like they did with the MPC VF-1 booster pack of bu this time with the lion weapons including all the shoulder monted cannons and Lion Swords.

Edited by SDFcommander

Here are some of my updated Yellow Lion pics. I'm not fininshed, but this will give you a little idea of how a little panel lining really helps this MPC Voltron shine. The overall look on the legs is subtle but nice. I left one side plain so you can see the difference.

HPIM0131.jpg

HPIM0133.jpg

I too would love to see a well done MPC Vehicle Voltron. Heck, I would love to see a weapons set like they did with the MPC VF-1 booster pack of bu this time with the lion weapons including all the shoulder monted cannons and Lion Swords.

360576[/snapback]

Looking good!

The lack of extras does detract from the Masterpiece theme of this Voltron, although I really do like this version of the mighty robot.  Who knows, maybe a Masterpiece 2.0?

360322[/snapback]

Or maybe a vehicle voltron?

360487[/snapback]

I wish...but the Vehicle Team is something akin to Southern Cross for die hard Voltron fans.

Ever since I saw the first pics of the "Masterpiece" Voltron, I thought it just looked too damn skinny. Maybe because all I've ever seen are the bigger versions (Matchbox, Trendmasters, ect).

Personally I think the Trendmasters reissue that was released years ago is the best version. Still kicking myself for never picking it up too!

-RF

I've been thinking along the same lines. The older versions look beefier and I appreciate that, nevermind that when it came to poseability, merely standing up straight was a challenge sometimes. Looks like the arguments that developed for the Valkyries, Chunky old vs. Yamato new, would apply to the Voltrons as well. I like the poseability of the MP Voltron but I'm sure there's an issue of less durability and playability. With the older toy, you could drop it, transform it, whatever, just don't expect it to pose anything other than waving goodbye...

As for vehicle Voltron, wouldn't any bias against it be from the "Go Lion" group of fans? I would hope that American fans would appreciate a new rendering of vehicle Voltron, and maybe that odd Voltron II as well...

Edited by myk

That's too bad. Maybe that loss of rights explains the sudden appearance of bootleg Dairugger's a few years ago. They were called "15 in 1" and "Robo-Cosmo," carried by PlayCo. Toys and TRU, respectively...

Not toy related, but did the Vehicle Volltron and Lion Voltron make a crossover in a Voltron movie where both showed up at the same time? I sorta remembered this as part of my childhood.

Not toy related, but did the Vehicle Volltron and Lion Voltron make a crossover in a Voltron movie where both showed up at the same time? I sorta remembered this as part of my childhood.

361679[/snapback]

Yeah, it was a movie called Fleet Of Doom.

Edited by >EXO<

I use to have some tapes, of course just when it was airing on TV in oregon's Channel 12 which I think was then the equivelents of Fox...

I wasn't a huge fan of the lion voltron but yeah the vehicle version I liked alot.....I think it diffenetly needs some love.

I still prefer the Golion Godaikin version because of it's ablitity to fire missles and it even has the individual weapons for the lions. I'm still looking for it too...  :D  :p  :lol:

359385[/snapback]

I have to agree with p@. I like the lions having their own individual weapons. I have my nice korean one MIB. THe thing is that it isnt chrome but gold color.

*snip*

I too would love to see a well done MPC Vehicle Voltron. Heck, I would love to see a weapons set like they did with the MPC VF-1 booster pack of but this time with the lion weapons including all the shoulder mounted cannons and Lion Swords.

360576[/snapback]

That actually looks pretty good. If not for Toynami's shoddy QC reputation, I'd probably buy a Voltron MPC.

BTW, stuffparties, when replying to someone else's quote, delete the tags before posting. We only need to see the pics once.

And was it a spliced together Golion and Dairugger anime ala Robotech or there's a Japanese equivalent?

361694[/snapback]

Googled

summary

Froogled

buy me!

361696[/snapback]

Actually that doesn't tell me if there's an actual anime crossover for it, or its newly animated somewhat like the Robotech movie. Cause Dairugger and Golion are 2 different anime right?

Speaking of crossover movies, did any of you guys ever see the animated movie that featured Voltrons 1 and 3? What was that about? Was it any good?

Edited by myk

Speaking of crossover movies, did any of you guys ever see the animated movie that featured Voltrons 1 and 3?  What was that about?  Was it any good?

361983[/snapback]

That movie was Voltron Fleet of Doom. It was a brand new american show that combined the two Voltrons. In it you get to see how the two got together and you even get to see a reunion between pidge and his "brother" from the vehicle Voltron. I just "found" this on the internet not long ago.

I would also like to mention that they meet in the Devils Due Voltron series as well. It was a very good story. I got my issues out of a dollar box at a comic show. I am that if you look though you could find them cheaper.

EDIT: Please see links in Roy's post above. I didn't even see this at first, it is way to early in the morning to discuss voltron.

Edited by stram8777

To the guy asking about the dvd's, I have it on good authority (second hand) that World Events Productions is in talks to release all of Voltron on DVD. I don't know many more details than that. My information comes from a gentleman that I see at local toy and comic shows. He attends these shows selling anime and tv shows on DVD. He was doing this at Kunicon, a japanese con that was held in St. Louis last year, where he got to meet and ask questions of a rep of WEP. Fpr those of you that don't know, World Event Productions is located in St. Louis near the Arch and Riverfront. Apparently WEP had a huge presence at Kunicon. My point though is that Voltron should be on DVD soon.

Speaking of crossover movies, did any of you guys ever see the animated movie that featured Voltrons 1 and 3?  What was that about?  Was it any good?

361983[/snapback]

That movie was Voltron Fleet of Doom. It was a brand new american show that combined the two Voltrons. In it you get to see how the two got together and you even get to see a reunion between pidge and his "brother" from the vehicle Voltron. I just "found" this on the internet not long ago.

I would also like to mention that they meet in the Devils Due Voltron series as well. It was a very good story. I got my issues out of a dollar box at a comic show. I am that if you look though you could find them cheaper.

EDIT: Please see links in Roy's post above. I didn't even see this at first, it is way to early in the morning to discuss voltron.

361995[/snapback]

So its fully animated and directed in US then? Ok.