On 3/1/2019 at 4:08 PM, no3Ljm said:

Just curious. Can the SoC Black Lion can sit and pose like this?

Kieth_on_Black_Lion.jpg

Not quite.  The back of his thighs have a notch cut-out so you can fold the hind legs underneath.  He also has an ab-crunch of sorts.  The pics below show about how close you can get it.  The front legs aren't long enough to get this pose.

download.jpg

IMG_9269.jpg

Edited by spacemanspiff
better description

5 hours ago, Sam said:

Ffs. Bandai, you suck. This happened the first time, thought i would get lucky the 2nd time, but... no. 

Who does it benefit not making enough to supply those who want to buy? I guess I'll support KO makers on this one, so disappointing.

36 minutes ago, DotaAllStars said:

It's a pity amazon.com doesn't carry this :(

You could try to get your hands on the Icarus Voltron or Mad Toys Voltron.  Both are made with decent die cast and have a premium feel to them.  I had the Mad Toys one and only sold it after I got the SOC.  I regret selling it as it is a really fun version with tons of accessories.  You should be able to find one on ebay for around $300

9 minutes ago, spacemanspiff said:

Not quite.  The back of his thighs have a notch cut-out so you can fold the hind legs underneath.  He also has an ab-crunch of sorts.  The pics below show about how close you can get it.  The front legs aren't long enough to get this pose.

download.jpg

IMG_9269.jpg

Incidently, I was able to get the LD Die Cast Black Lion to sit in that pose:

36634150245_a2994d6025_z.jpg

23 minutes ago, F360 said:

Well, I never heard of them, but they don't require payment upfront and I slept through BBTS, Entertainment Earth, and Toy Dojo's preorders, so I guess I'll give them a try.

On 3/4/2019 at 6:38 PM, mechaninac said:

As curious as I am about this GX from a toy engineering and execution point of view, and that's the only reason I'd buy a Voltron figure as it holds no nostalgia, or even aesthetic, appeal to me otherwise, I just can't justify its cost.  I can't remember, but was the original release also retailing, at US e-tailers, for $299.99?

Not gonna lie, if you're buying the toy for the engineering, you can skip SoC Voltron.  Lion Voltron has been a solved problem for ages, and the transformation can be summed up roughly as "the diecast Matchbox toy, but with two axes of movement at the shoulders and hips".  

It is very much a "what you see is what you get" kind of toy.

And I'm still sad it didn't come with an "energy bar" so I could do a proper "form blazing sword" pose.

Yeh I did jump on the miracle toys and Madtoys etc Voltron, and agreed, its quite awesome fun, but i had the Bandai preordered at a local who ultimately didn't come through with many preorders, and has kept the money, and helped to embitter this grumpy old man =-/

Thanks for the link on that Eknight, hopefully they come through, mind you, I had something preordered on amazon who I thought would always get stock allocation, and was surprised when it got canned. If a superglobal store like them cant always get what they reckon, then makes me wonder about the other places a bit ! 

Honestly i have too many voltrons... but... its voltron! =-)

2 hours ago, Sam said:

Yeh I did jump on the miracle toys and Madtoys etc Voltron, and agreed, its quite awesome fun, but i had the Bandai preordered at a local who ultimately didn't come through with many preorders, and has kept the money, and helped to embitter this grumpy old man =-/ 

Time to go collect, mafia-style.

Honestly, the pre-order circus is just stupid. One would think that they make enough units to fill pre-orders, but it seems like they actually make an intentionally inadequate number to encourage preorder madness and scalper abuse.

I only own the Soul of Chogokin version but based on reviews it’s prob the best. I have seen the legendary defender version and while I love it’s design the articulation really lacks because of the voice box. I’d love for Bandai to make one

The SOC is my favorite and the best. It has the best overall stable articulation, best accessories mine a fire sword and the best articulation of the individual lions. I’ve had others, original Matbox and Toynami and SOC towers over most of not all Voltrons. 

The SOC Lion Voltron is one of my favorite pieces in my entire collection. Everything about it just screams quality, even the packaging.  Arcadia/Bandai DX/and MP Takara MP Transformers stuff is great, but this thing is a cut above everything else IMHO.  I will JUMP on a Vehicle Voltron when it happens. 

I'm guessing the pre-orders at eknightmedia and kirin are gone, I wasn't able to find it on the site

I actually got an email from eknight saying they expected to get 50 units but they wound up getting 140 preorders before they turned it off.  Anyone who ordered more than one (not me) can only have one, and even then they're saying the first 50 people to pay their PayPal invoice when they go out are the ones that are going to get them.  So I guess I'm keeping my eyes open for a more guaranteed route, and until that happens I'll be checking my email constantly come summer.

So what is everyone's fav Voltron figure? and if it is SOC, then what is your second favorite?

I only recall the original Lion Voltron slightly, as a neighbor had it.  I remember the Yellow Lion having ears flaps that opened up to reveal some sort of weapons.

Another childhood neighbor had the crappier Lion Voltron that could fit the pilot figures.  Never was impressed with that one.

A good buddy of mine had/has the Toynami version, but I didn't really have a chance to handle it much.

I finally got all the parts for the original Bandai/Matchbox Vehicle Voltron less than a year ago.  And it's the only version of Voltron I've gotten so far.  It has minimal articulation (just rotating shoulders and less than 90 degree elbow articulation).  But that sucker's HUGE (well over a foot tall)!

I see that the SOC Voltron/Golion is 27cm tall.  So after getting used to Vehicle Voltron/Dairugger's massive size, I'm trying to temper my expectations for the size of SOC version.

SOC for sure, although the poseability is lost on me because I leave them as lions and sitting on their butts.   I have my original Matchbox Lion and Vehicle Voltron but they're around for sentimental reasons; that's it.  

To be less intentionally opaque, that's my second-favorite(since #1 is the Bandai), and is mostly because it was the only complete Voltron I had(after my mom made me give the wind-up rolling lions to my sister because I "have enough robots already").

I had two of the metal lions(yellow and green), and they were awesome. But no complete Voltron.

the wind-up rolling lions

Those were the ones I had as a kid.  I actually had all five, but I remember wanting the other one because it was bigger and didn't have wheels.

As an adult, right now I just have the big Playmates Legendary Defender Voltron, the same-sized Playmates '84 Voltron, and the smaller diecast Legendary Defender.  Of those three, I'd say my favorite is the diecast Legendary Defender... it's functionally the same as the larger one, but it's easier for me to overlook the flaws on a much smaller Voltron that ran about half the price.  I desperately want the SoC Voltron, and will attempt to get the reissue (and Vehicle Voltron).

I remember ‘sharing day’ in elementary.  Kids used to be bring all their cool toys including the old school Voltron.  Good memories.

Hope everybody is able to secure a SOC Voltron.

I think my favorite, also my first, Voltron figure was my old plastic Trendmaster Lion Voltron. It combined of course, but it also had the little opening cockpits, including the chest on black lion, and came with little single color pilots that matched the color of their respective lions and had one bit of articulation, they bent at the waist.

I don't remember seeing too many pics or other videos of that version of Voltron in particular, I remember several years ago I wanted to track a new one down for nostalgia, and all I could find were separate releases for each lion. They were the same figures, opening cockpits with little removable pilots and all, they just weren't in a complete set, and I very distinctly remember getting my Voltron as one big set, not separate releases for each lion.

I think my favorite, also my first, Voltron figure was my old plastic Trendmaster Lion Voltron. It combined of course, but it also had the little opening cockpits, including the chest on black lion, and came with little single color pilots that matched the color of their respective lions and had one bit of articulation, they bent at the waist.

I don't remember seeing too many pics or other videos of that version of Voltron in particular, I remember several years ago I wanted to track a new one down for nostalgia, and all I could find were separate releases for each lion. They were the same figures, opening cockpits with little removable pilots and all, they just weren't in a complete set, and I very distinctly remember getting my Voltron as one big set, not separate releases for each lion.

The black lion in that set was made with plastic that has become notoriously brittle with age, just like the one in their giant Ultimate Voltron has.  They can crack apart while trying to form or separate Voltron so beware if you decide track one down.  

As a kid the only complete voltron I had was a KO my mom got me at the corner store. I had the Panosh Black lion and my 2 younger brothers each had an arm or leg. But we never completed him.  I currently have the Playmates 84 that I haven't opened because I just can't bring myself to open something that requires destroying the package. I had the first toynami version but sold it years ago. I just bought a spare blue lion for the Playmates 16" that I plan on customizing