4 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

If Shiro had a girlfriend in the flashback who was killed during Sendak's invasion would anyone be complaining about it coming out of left field, having no plot merit, being killed off too quickly, or pandering to a fanbase?  I'm guessing not, and honestly the fact that it's so casually brought up is why I like it the way it was.  If Shiro had a girlfriend no one would have cared because heterosexual relationships are still "normal" and heterosexual characters tend to be defined by other character traits than their sexuality, but playing up Shiro's homosexuality ran the risk of simply making him "the gay one."  Instead the writers built up Shiro as a character first then revealed his sexuality through the flashback in such a casual way.  They're essentially acknowledging that he is gay without making his sexuality define him any more than it would for a heterosexual character.

Lol I was basically thinking exactly this as I typed my last comment, but it was already done and I just hit submit and didn't want to edit. You really gotta wonder in what way can a character be revealed as gay without it apparently being pandering? Agreed on it being very casual, as I said, we just happened to learn he's gay and had lost a partner in the past, it was a bit more backstory that also casually revealed he's gay, if it were a girlfriend we wouldn't be having any conversation about this at all. But apparently he can't just happen to be gay without having previously announced it, which then would've garnered complaints about being too in your face with it, or apparently pushing an agenda or something.

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

If Shiro had a girlfriend in the flashback who was killed during Sendak's invasion would anyone be complaining about it coming out of left field, having no plot merit, being killed off too quickly, or pandering to a fanbase?  

There's also the fact that we're USED to the straight characters having a romantic interest introduced and killed in the space of a half-hour. It is terrible handling either way, really.

My opinion (and I think I may be somewhat echoing what others have said) is that I want to see the character development and a well-done plot. If a love interest is not important to a character's motivations or to the plot, then it doesn't need to be focused on. So-and-so used to have a girlfriend. Shiro, who seemed like he would end up being the loner, eventually found love and got married. Gotcha. That's all that was needed. It doesn't matter whether those relationships were heterosexual or homosexual; they did not define the characters or their actions. So, I think they were fine being shown in the way that they were.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

No kidding! I missed out last time because I just didn't have the funds available, but this time just point me to a preorder.

Yeah last time I just skipped up but now I’m getting both.

I'm surprised they didn't recolor the Lion Voltron. But the re-release was expected. I hope people didn't pay the crazy aftermarket price. I'm still hoping for a Voltron in the action line that is more anime accurate.

The car Voltron isn't for me. I had the old one. I think I still have a few pieces like the head and chest ship. But I hated how unstable that toy was with the truck feet.

I still have my old Matchbox vehicle Voltron back in my workout/model room, for some reason I liked that version more as a kid, I mean the lions are epic and legendary, but I always had a soft spot for the vehicle one, so I'm looking forward to the SOC version!  I wonder if Bandai will come up with an ingenious way of dealing with the wheels as robot feet issue???....

9 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

I still have my old Matchbox vehicle Voltron back in my workout/model room, for some reason I liked that version more as a kid, I mean the lions are epic and legendary, but I always had a soft spot for the vehicle one, so I'm looking forward to the SOC version!  I wonder if Bandai will come up with an ingenious way of dealing with the wheels as robot feet issue???....

Voltes V has wheels on its feet as well, right? How did Bandai handle that chogokin? (I don't have it)

Oh crud, summer just got a whole lot more expensive!

I'm curious to see how solid the joints are and how much articulation will be in the combined Vehicle Voltron/Dairugger XV.

With so many connection points on that puppy, I'm a little worried about how they'll pull off a fully poseable figure with joints that can hold strong.

So, what are the chances we'll see Bandai tackle a Fleet of Doom combiner Robeast (aka Lotron), the Dreamworks/Netflix version of Voltron, or the

Spoiler

Sincline ships combiner.

And here, I thought I was good after finally completing the Matchbox Vehicle Voltron almost a year ago. :fool:

Edited by Mog

18 minutes ago, Mog said:

So, what are the chances we'll see Bandai tackle a Fleet of Doom combiner Robeast (aka Lotron), the Dreamworks/Netflix version of Voltron, or the SPOILERS TAG

I'd say zero, but... that's what I said about Dairugger/Voltron I, so we can see how reliable I am.

Honestly, I'm wondering if Bandai's just suddenly realized there's an actual market for Soul of Chogokin overseas. I mean, the release chain of the Megazord and Voltron and the Dragonzord and now Vehicle Voltron... it just looks like they're actively targeting the western market suddenly instead of just trying to figure out how they keep selling so many more toys of Mazinger and Raideen and Voltes V than they thought Japan wanted.

Don't --- it's glorious!  I just happened to get one off Amazon after it had been released for like $250.00  I took a chance as it was my 1st SOC from Bandai, it's TOP notch. Glad people will get one who missed out the first time around! 

Edited by derex3592

32 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Don't --- it's glorious!  I just happened to get one off Amazon after it had been released for like $200.00  I took a chance as it was my 1st SOC from Bandai, it's TOP notch. Glad people will get one who missed out the first time around! 

Awesome!

10 hours ago, JB0 said:

"Your wallet is mine."

:lol: Awesome.

Skipped the original release, but this time around I'm in for some Go-Lion action. Never understood the allure of vehicle Voltron, but to each his own.

10 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Skipped the original release, but this time around I'm in for some Go-Lion action. Never understood the allure of vehicle Voltron, but to each his own.

I honestly remember the lion Voltron episodes much better than the vehicle Voltron ones (by A LOT), but I always loved vehicle Voltron more. To me, as a kid, it was about vehicles turning (or combining) into robots, and not animals. Dinosaurs were, obviously, an exception.

10 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

It has been a long time since I was a kid and Voltron was fresh, but I think it was just the more sci-fi-ish aesthetic.  Giant robots fighting in space is way better than giant robots fighting in the wastelands that covered much of Arus. And space carriers are better than castles.