• 3 months later...

@obakesan   very nice...  the lego Voltron looks pretty neat,

I just finished building my Mini-Pla Voltron...    probably the most poseable voltron I have ever seen,  and probably comes up to one of the knees on either of the above voltrons..  lol

Optimized-20181126_112433.jpg

Optimized-20181126_112701.jpg

Edited by Stampeed Valkyrie
the pics brah

4 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

@obakesan   very nice...  the lego Voltron looks pretty neat,

I just finished building my Mini-Pla Voltron...    probably the most poseable voltron I have ever seen,  and probably comes up to one of the knees on either of the above voltrons..  lol

Optimized-20181126_112433.jpg

Optimized-20181126_112701.jpg

That's pretty cool, I'm guessing based on box can make lions too. I'm always scared kits as I end up breaking then haha. Nice one 

Yes you can do either lions or Voltron..  the lions look OK..  limited range of motion with the legs.. but still pretty neat.    Voltron is where its at.. the range of motion with all the ball joints is really impressive.    The hardest part about these is the application of stickers..  other then that pretty easy to assemble. 

I ended up getting 3 of them,   2 for me and 1 as a gift..  if you plan on getting them look on the JP side.. the cost of admission in the US will net you 2 from Japan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I Just finished the 8th Season of Woketron Legendary lameness  and good riddance.

It had much promise in the first few seasons.. then they went Woke.. and then it all went to crap.

I'd take Voltron 3D over this dumpster fire.

Edited by Stampeed Valkyrie

Personally, I think Seasons 5-7 were the absolute, stand-out best of the entire series.

Unfortunately, Season 8 didn't completely stick the landing.

• I found the mecha fight scenes kinda meh, repetitive, and suffering from Michael Bay's "let's film this way too close and make you completely loss about the flow of the battle" style.
  • I get why the focus was on the six paladins, but it felt a bit much once
Spoiler
  • "Atlas-Tron" was formed (Where'd Iverson, Veronic, Holt, and the rest of the Atlas crew go once the combo took place?)
  • I would have liked to have gotten more on Axca's motivations and the deal with her and Keith.
  • It probably would have helped if they used a different animation style/technique to differentiate the "normal" scenes, from the scenes in Honerva's mind (Probably make the scenes seem like they're filmed underwater?), and from the flashback scenes (black and white instead?).  It would have been a subtle way to make the story easier to follow.
  • I found
Spoiler

Honerva's change of heart

at the end a bit sudden.

HOWEVER, Season 8 did do a bang-up job on the character side of things.

• The Allura-Lance relationship was nicely paid off.
  • It was easy to relate to Honerva's motivations (even though she was going about it in a completely crazy way).
  • I like that Keith and Lance have grown from a rivalry to brothers who are okay busting each other's chops.
  • I liked the moments with the
    Spoiler

original paladins.

• Most of the character endings made sense.
  • Although I wasn't completely sold on the ending resolution at first, the more I thought about it, the more I'm cool with it.
Spoiler

I like the idea of seeing the good in people and trying to encourage it out. 

And it's good to see the "girl character" be the one to make the Hero's Sacrifice.  It really looked like we were heading towards Allura being corrupted by the Quintessence being.  But I like that she made the choice, not to save another main character from dying, not as a last minute cop-out, and not as some sort of redemption arc.  We've seen a similar story play out in other stories.

But it's nice to see Allura be the one doing the saving, instead of needing to be saved.

And lastly, you know I squeed at all the Vehicle Voltron teases. :yahoo:

1 hour ago, Mog said:

Personally, I think Seasons 5-7 were the absolute, stand-out best of the entire series.

Unfortunately, Season 8 didn't completely stick the landing.

• I found the mecha fight scenes kinda meh, repetitive, and suffering from Michael Bay's "let's film this way too close and make you completely loss about the flow of the battle" style.
  • I get why the focus was on the six paladins, but it felt a bit much once
  Reveal hidden contents
  • "Atlas-Tron" was formed (Where'd Iverson, Veronic, Holt, and the rest of the Atlas crew go once the combo took place?)
  • I would have liked to have gotten more on Axca's motivations and the deal with her and Keith.
  • It probably would have helped if they used a different animation style/technique to differentiate the "normal" scenes, from the scenes in Honerva's mind (Probably make the scenes seem like they're filmed underwater?), and from the flashback scenes (black and white instead?).  It would have been a subtle way to make the story easier to follow.
  • I found
  Reveal hidden contents

Honerva's change of heart

at the end a bit sudden.

HOWEVER, Season 8 did do a bang-up job on the character side of things.

• The Allura-Lance relationship was nicely paid off.
  • It was easy to relate to Honerva's motivations (even though she was going about it in a completely crazy way).
  • I like that Keith and Lance have grown from a rivalry to brothers who are okay busting each other's chops.
  • I liked the moments with the
      Reveal hidden contents

original paladins.

• Most of the character endings made sense.
  • Although I wasn't completely sold on the ending resolution at first, the more I thought about it, the more I'm cool with it.
  Hide contents

I like the idea of seeing the good in people and trying to encourage it out. 

And it's good to see the "girl character" be the one to make the Hero's Sacrifice.  It really looked like we were heading towards Allura being corrupted by the Quintessence being.  But I like that she made the choice, not to save another main character from dying, not as a last minute cop-out, and not as some sort of redemption arc.  We've seen a similar story play out in other stories.

But it's nice to see Allura be the one doing the saving, instead of needing to be saved.

And lastly, you know I squeed at all the Vehicle Voltron teases. :yahoo:

I agree with pretty much everything except that last bullet point.  But that's because

I'm a romantic and wanted a happy ending for Keith and Alura.  Hell, in my head I'm shipping Keith + Axca.

On 12/25/2018 at 11:44 AM, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

So I Just finished the 8th Season of Woketron Legendary lameness  and good riddance.

It had much promise in the first few seasons.. then they went Woke.. and then it all went to crap.

I'd take Voltron 3D over this dumpster fire.

Although not the most egregious example of Woke infiltration and corruption out there, I can see your point all too well... the PC narrative and agenda pushing floodgates opened up and what was mostly a good show became something I shall never revisit, with the last episode sealing the deal as the final nail on the coffin.

My only real hang up of the final season was indeed,

Spoiler

Honerva/Haggar's fairly sudden change of heart. She was evil until the VERY last second, then just sort of gave up and understood what she was doing. That said, I did understand her motivation, willing to destroy anything and everything for just one more perfect chance at a happy life, only to get denied that once again, due to her own son recognizing what she had become, and flatly killing her dreams in an instant.

What's all this talk of wokeness killing the show?

Those were the only two that I noticed. The second one was blatant, but the first one I actually rewatched that part of the episode, in the hopes that there were some easter eggs like that (I missed it the first time around).

Were there others?

On 12/26/2018 at 8:42 PM, mikeszekely said:

I don't get it either.

Me either but I still haven't watched the show yet. I assumed Voltron is alive or self aware? Wasn't the story of the original that they broke him up into the lions originally?

12 minutes ago, JetJockey said:

Me either but I still haven't watched the show yet. I assumed Voltron is alive or self aware? Wasn't the story of the original that they broke him up into the lions originally?

I assume the complaint about "woke" comes from the Urban Dictionary definition, essentially that the OP is complaining that it's too social justicey PC progressive.  So I don't get it because I don't really see what's so "woke" about it.

I get it. At least some of it.  A main character was gay and it upset a lot fans. Either people not wanting to see it OR there was a lot of upset from the LGBTQ community it didn’t go far enough and was too “token” to them. There was also a lot of people upset that the choice of character should have been two main characters getting together instead of the way they did it. I personally thought they handled it fine in the beginning. It was very natural and felt real or believable but subtle and not crucial to the main arc. Then it was just kind of bam at the very end and felt very forced and was probably done for politically reasons vice good story telling.  BL, I just think they could have told that part of the story a better way.

In addition, there was no bad guy by the end. Everyone can be redeemed and no one is truly evil...despite killing billions. That doesn’t work for me personally. 

There was some other stuff I’m sure others can chime in on. I watched the show with my niece and she loved it till the very end. It was a great bonding experience for us both. Two generations of fans and me getting to buy her Voltron toys was awesome. She just cried A LOT when a main character died. I mean meltdown big time. Kind of ruined the show for her. But at least the show had an ending. Most of the stuff I grew up never had a run like this. Minus Macross of course. 

Oh and one more thing...the Atlas thing was totally stealing from the SDF-1.

Edited by mcfly50

4 hours ago, mcfly50 said:

I get it. At least some of it.  A main character was gay and it upset a lot fans. Either people not wanting to see it

I'm not a fan doing things like taking established characters and changing them for the sake of diversity (looking at you, Marvel/Iceman and New Trek/Sulu), but if someone is bothered by a show having even one gay character then I'd suggest the problem probably isn't the show.

OR there was a lot of upset from the LGBTQ community it didn’t go far enough and was too “token” to them.

I think I can understand the feeling behind this a little better. Now, I'm not LGBTQ so maybe I'm not in the best position to analyze this, but ultimately I think it's fine the way they did it. Yeah, we went a couple of seasons before he was revealed to be gay in a flashback, but I thought that allowed the writers to develop him as a fleshed-out character who happened to be gay instead of a character defined by being "the gay one".

I personally thought they handled it fine in the beginning. It was very natural and felt real or believable but subtle and not crucial to the main arc. Then it was just kind of bam at the very end and felt very forced and was probably done for politically reasons vice good story telling.  

It sounds like you're in agreement, but unhappy with his last scene in the ending. It do I misunderstand you?

There was also a lot of people upset that the choice of character should have been two main characters getting together instead of the way they did it.

Yeah, but they're probably not the ones complaining about the show being woke.

I dunno. I think it's impossible to please everyone. The LGBTQ community deserves to be represented. But I think it's also important to show that men can have strong friendships and open up emotionally in ways that aren't traditionally "manly" without being gay.

5 hours ago, mcfly50 said:

In addition, there was no bad guy by the end. Everyone can be redeemed and no one is truly evil...despite killing billions. That doesn’t work for me personally. 

That's a problem with the last two episodes (and one they nearly could have avoided, as Lotor's rejection was a good setup to showing her as permanently corrupted by the evils she'd committed), but is that an example of wokefulness or just bad writing?

But anyway, I guess my point isn't that the show has no problems. It did (especially the pacing in the last two or three seasons). I just don't think that the problems it had were from being "woke" and I think the show was still good overall.

Sorry, but this series was bad beyond just the SJW inserts..

Yes this series went Woke..  but that is not my only issue with this reboot.    This should have been named Paladins.. not Voltron.   The robot title character literally disappears for a good part of the story more so early on.   This leads to some of the most boring content of this series.. and 1 season where literally nothing worth noting happens.    

Ugh, the term "woke", and bitching about SJWs in general is more snowflaky then the supposed snowflakes being complained about. Every time I read that nonsense I feel like I'm on 4chan or Reddit, gross.

36 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

Sorry, but this series was bad beyond just the SJW inserts..

Yes this series went Woke..  but that is not my only issue with this reboot.    This should have been named Paladins.. not Voltron.   The robot title character literally disappears for a good part of the story more so early on.   This leads to some of the most boring content of this series.. and 1 season where literally nothing worth noting happens.   

Voltron is just a robot though, not a character, the paladins are actual characters, not just a weapon/mech. Not having Voltron around for chunks of time led to actual character and plot development, not just action and battles.

For the record I’m perfectly fine with a gay character in a show (and I’m not LGBTQ but support all types when it comes to liberty). The problem I had with the very ending was that he just found some guy and got married. I think that was a missed opportunity to flush out something more natural instead of just shoe horning it in at the end. I think that is the problem with shows going “woke.”  I’m fine with representing all people of all types and ideologies. But make it first about the story and not just some agenda to make a point. That fails all the time in religious films too. Tell a good story first and then flow the players in smartly...not forced to make a point or a political stand. It’s just bad writing and storytelling...and it’s definitely overdone. 

Edited by mcfly50

31 minutes ago, mcfly50 said:

For the record I’m perfectly fine with a gay character in a show (and I’m not LGBTQ but support all types when it comes to liberty). The problem I had with the very ending was that he just found some guy and got married. I think that was a missed opportunity to flush out something more natural instead of just shoe horning it in at the end. I think that is the problem with shows going “woke.”  I’m fine with representing all people of all types and ideologies. But make it first about the story and not just some agenda to make a point. That fails all the time in religious films too. Tell a good story first and then flow the players in smartly...not forced to make a point or a political stand. It’s just bad writing and storytelling...and it’s definitely overdone. 

I mean, this I can agree on, that final shot of Shiro was very on the nose, and not subtle at all. We had zero context or lead up to a new love interest for Shiro, let alone a husband. I liked the scene a lot, Shiro deserves happiness, but I feel ending on that scene was a bit of a dumb decision, I think the happy ending montage should've had that scene earlier, and it should've ended on the next generation of legendary defenders, ending on Shiro kissing his husband that we don't even have a name for was a bit jarring.

well lets discuss the "gay" character then.

The whole Shiro is gay thing comes right out of left field..   it had no plot merit,  and his partner is killed off in what.. 5 min?   I can't look at that any other way then pandering to a specific fansbase..   Why kill the partner off so quick if it was to be a thing?

2nd.. the last scene Wedding..    really?  Again right out of left field...  no plot merit..  closing scene and... there it is.    so Fail.

8 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

well lets discuss the "gay" character then.

The whole Shiro is gay thing comes right out of left field..   it had no plot merit,  and his partner is killed off in what.. 5 min?   I can't look at that any other way then pandering to a specific fansbase..   Why kill the partner off so quick if it was to be a thing?

2nd.. the last scene Wedding..    really?  Again right out of left field...  no plot merit..  closing scene and... there it is.    so Fail.

I mean, he just happened to be gay, that's how it works, it's not a big deal, it was never supposed to effect the plot, it was just more back story. I don't think having a character being gay is pandering, he's just gay, gay people exist, is existence pandering? Agreed on his original partner though, the show caught a lot of heat for that, introducing him and then "fridging", or killing him off immediately. Disagreed on the fail, as I said above, I think that scene was just misplaced, earlier in the montage would've been just fine.

I think Shiro was a great character and it didn’t matter if he was straight or gay. But he needed more development if they wanted to explore his personal life. 

(By the way I was trying to not give spoilers away since I’m on my phone and can’t hide comments)

1 hour ago, mcfly50 said:

The problem I had with the very ending was that he just found some guy and got married. I think that was a missed opportunity to flush out something more natural instead of just shoe horning it in at the end

I definitely agree, but I think that goes back to my assertion that the pacing was just way off.  In general it felt like they were dragging things out, like the episode where they went to the fair and the found footage episode, then suddenly they spent the last two episodes ending the main plot and tossing in little montage to wrap up the loose ends.

13 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

If Shiro had a girlfriend in the flashback who was killed during Sendak's invasion would anyone be complaining about it coming out of left field, having no plot merit, being killed off too quickly, or pandering to a fanbase?  I'm guessing not, and honestly the fact that it's so casually brought up is why I like it the way it was.  If Shiro had a girlfriend no one would have cared because heterosexual relationships are still "normal" and heterosexual characters tend to be defined by other character traits than their sexuality, but playing up Shiro's homosexuality ran the risk of simply making him "the gay one."  Instead the writers built up Shiro as a character first then revealed his sexuality through the flashback in such a casual way.  They're essentially acknowledging that he is gay without making his sexuality define him any more than it would for a heterosexual character.