1 hour ago, mcfly50 said:

The red lion has been KO’d. They haven’t released them all yet. 

1 hour ago, mcfly50 said:

Good lord, nothing is sacred any more! I stand corrected, KOs do exist, apparently piece meal though and not in a set of any kind. Also, I'd guess the price difference will be very apparent, I doubt anyone but the scummiest Ebay sellers would try to pass individual KOs off at the officials now insane price.

Looking for some opinions here. 

I recently acquired a Matchbox Vehicle Voltron off of eBay.  According the listing, the toy was in pretty good condition -- all vehicles included, none of the typical breakages (like the shoulder helicopter blades, fins on the head, etc).  No missing wheels, no missing fists.  It even came with the original box.  Aside from some light wear one would expect of a 30 year old toy, it looked to be a pretty solid specimen.  After the auction closed, I ended up getting it for $200 before shipping, which seemed like a pretty fair price given the condition.

When I received the set, everything checked out OK until I started to put the thing together.  I discovered that the leg joints were basically shot, and would not stay locked in.  I was pretty disappointed because I expected a near-flawless toy, and I felt that something like the legs not staying locked together was a pretty big thing that the seller neglected to mention.  After all, the whole point of this toy is the completed robot -- who cares about all the individual vehicles on their own?

I contacted the seller expressing my disappointment, indicating that I felt that the legs not locking together should have been mentioned in the listing, as it would have definitely affected my bidding process.  I also made what I felt was a reasonable request: would he consider a small partial refund ($40, but negotiable) to compensate for the legs.  I told him I didn't want to return the toy, and I didn't want to open a case with eBay or leave negative feedback, and that I desired to resolve this amicably.  After a few days of no response and additional follow-up from me, the seller finally responded and basically said that it was my problem, what do you expect from a 30 year old toy, that I should have asked before the sale, and basically that I was out of luck.

Am I being unreasonable in thinking the legs not staying together is a pretty big deal and should have been mentioned in the listing?  And should I press the matter further, either by requesting a return, opening a case with eBay, or leaving negative feedback?  Or should I just cut my losses and move on?

I don't and haven't owned the Matchbox vehicle Voltron, but I've read that leg connection issues (and lack of articulation) are one of its basic design flaws. If it were me, I probably wouldn't give the seller too much grief about it, so long as it wasn't an explicit issue with breakage.

Edited by Hiriyu

I DID used to own that toy, and the leg joints were my one point of breakage. Spring-tabs stopped locking in, and then the plastic housing broke off one of them later. At the knees, I believe it was?

I think it should've definitely been listed in the auction, particularly if it is a common failure, and the seller is a butthole.

On the other hand, in every other respect you got a really nice-looking toy, and as a display piece the legs not locking isn't an issue. I'd probably just let it slide.

6 hours ago, JB0 said:

I DID used to own that toy, and the leg joints were my one point of breakage. Spring-tabs stopped locking in, and then the plastic housing broke off one of them later. At the knees, I believe it was?

I think it should've definitely been listed in the auction, particularly if it is a common failure, and the seller is a butthole.

On the other hand, in every other respect you got a really nice-looking toy, and as a display piece the legs not locking isn't an issue. I'd probably just let it slide.

It's the hip joint on one leg and the knee on the other.  But you're right about the spring tabs.  I think those are used in all the other joints to lock things together.  

I thought my proposal to him was reasonable, particularly since I tried to resolve it with him first before leaving bad feedback or calling the eBay cops.  But his response raised my ire.  I've had toys arrive in slightly worse condition than they appeared in but I've always worked it out with the seller.  One time I had a Yamato VF-1D that I got off of eBay that arrived with the notorious cracked shoulders.  I had a pair of Shapeways replacements, so it wasn't a big deal to me, but I contacted the seller and requested a small partial refund on the grounds that this flaw should have been mentioned in the listing, as it's common and does detract from the value.  They gave it to me without any problems. 

Edited by SuperSenpai

It sounded reasonable to me too. My thought is less "cut the butt some slack", because he IS a butt, and more that if you return it you're back at square one.  Finding another nice-looking one will be hard. Just give him a bad review so people know to pester him about details he ought to list.

• 3 weeks later...

RetroBlasting put up a review of the most recent Voltron toy. I posted this because they also compared the majority of major Voltron releases later in the video. They only left out a few of the bad ones. That massive one which I think was a type of Kickstarter deal being one of them. I saw a few videos about that one get laughs. RetroBlasting and CollectionDX are the two favorites. Seeing all these Voltron toys make me really want a perfect robot Voltron from that new Action Chogokin line.

• 3 months later...

Looks pretty good. Not sure if I'm in for the price, but then again genuine Lego block is plastic gold.

Now as Lego custom builder, I am curious about why they didn't use the ball joints from the Lego mixels for the individual lion legs.

There have been quite a few custom Voltron's out there which appear to have greater articulation.  It seems that they really wanted to nail the classic look versus having greated mobility. 

• 1 month later...

So already watch Season 7 of Voltron Legendary Defender and...

WHY HG DON"T ASK for Netflix to make a reboot of Robotech??

In this season we have

"valkyries",, dogfighters, a giant battlehip turning a giant mecha

Because HG doesn't have the stones to shell out the big bucks for some stylishly-animated fights, the competence to write well-written multi-dimensional characters, the patience to play the long game in paying off story threads, or the subtle touch to put in meta-references that only old-school fans would appreciate (seriously, that RPG spoof episode was chock full of 'em).

But getting back to this last season, am I the only one thinking

Spoiler

we might see Vehicle Voltron pop up next season with the Paladins heading to Earth?

26 minutes ago, Mog said:

Because HG doesn't have the stones to shell out the big bucks for some stylishly-animated fights, the competence to write well-written multi-dimensional characters, the patience to play the long game in paying off story threads, or the subtle touch to put in meta-references that only old-school fans would appreciate (seriously, that RPG spoof episode was chock full of 'em).

But getting back to this last season, am I the only one thinking

Reveal hidden contents

we might see Vehicle Voltron pop up next season with the Paladins heading to Earth?

I also immediately thought that.

1 hour ago, Knight26 said:

I just started season 7, can't wait to see these valks.  But if they are as cool as you say, to Hell with HG and Robotech, how about they work with BigWest on the next Macross series.

Since Saban Moon, No studio allows you to remake your original works in the "American style" or similar.
Being able to only do this with the adjustments to the western market only.

Like Battle of Planets, Robotech or Glitter Force (if they make it some day...).

Saban Moom exemple (watch at your own risk)

Okay, just powered through all the recently released eps (Season 7).

Yeah, the creators put some serious homages to

Spoiler

Macross in there:

• Stubbier, yet fast moving VF-4 looking fighters;
  • Upgraded missiles and bombs that look like very similar to the VF-1's reactive missiles;
  • An enemy alien race that wipes out massive chunks of the earth; and
  • A capital ship that transforms into a massive robot.

But even with all these, we've got to be building towards

Spoiler

Vehicle Voltron, right?! 

We've got 4/5ths of an Air Team already.  Those ATV transports that Lance's sister drove him in can be part of the Land Team.  And we've got a number of alien allies to make up the rest of the 15-vehicle crew.

On 8/12/2018 at 1:49 AM, Old_Nash said:

Since Saban Moon, No studio allows you to remake your original works in the "American style" or similar.
Being able to only do this with the adjustments to the western market only.

Like Battle of Planets, Robotech or Glitter Force (if they make it some day...).

Saban Moom exemple (watch at your own risk)

Hide contents

hahaha amazing!

Playmates dropping the toy license does not bode well for the continued viability of the show unless they can get another company to sign up; although, being a Netflix exclusive does lend some hope that it will at least get an 8th season, but if that is the case I hope they don't waste time introducing Vehicle Voltron or any other wrinkles (if they do get the luxury of a 2+ seasons renewal, fine) and instead use it to tie-off lose ends and properly wrap up the series, after all...

Spoiler

There are other Galra generals and rogue elements vying for control of the fractured Empire, Earth has just become a major player as an opposition force to the Galra hegemony, the revelation that the Altean colony was emptied and an Altean was the power core of the near-indestructible robeast in the season 7 last episode, and Hagar is still out there... likely behind the Altean mystery, and Lotor, left in limbo, possibly coming back from the quintessence field.

So many things left to resolve...

Most of the articles I’ve read state that Season 8 is the last season (per the series creators’ choice).

Doesn’t preclude them from novel tie-ins or coming up with spin-off series.  But that’s their game plan.

13 hours ago, glane21 said:

Too bad Playmates already bailed on this license though.

8 hours ago, mechaninac said:

Playmates dropping the toy license

Where'd you guys hear about this? The only news about Playmates and the Voltron license I could find was a press release from February about how they had more Voltron stuff planned.

Edited by mikeszekely

11 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Where'd you guys hear about this? The only news about Playmates and the Voltron license I could find was a press release from February about how they had more Voltron stuff planned.

Well, they basically ceased production and have not tooled the other prototypes they had shown, like the rest of the paladin figures.   They say they are waiting to amass retail orders but considering that Target and Walmart clearanced it all out and gave the shelf space to other lines, that happening seems doubtful.  Read about it here:

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/culture/voltron/273657/where-are-the-rest-of-the-voltron-action-figures

Edited by glane21

13 hours ago, mechaninac said:

^For my part, I haven't heard a thing.  I was just responding to the previous post; if it came across as an affirmation of that statement then I apologize for poorly wording it.

No worries.

2 hours ago, glane21 said:

Well, they basically ceased production and have not tooled the other prototypes they had shown, like the rest of the paladin figures.   They say they are waiting to amass retail orders but considering that Target and Walmart clearanced it all out and gave the shelf space to other lines, that happening seems doubtful.  Read about it here:

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/culture/voltron/273657/where-are-the-rest-of-the-voltron-action-figures

Ah, ok.  So it's not a situation where the license was up and they chose not to renew it or anything, which is what I thought you meant.  They still have the license, they're just sitting on it.  Which sucks, I guess, but it does make sense from a business POV.  I mean, I don't know about the paladin figures the article is talking about, but I know a lot of the other Voltron toys (except maybe the '84 lions) seemed to shelfwarm around here.  Retailers are going to be hesitant to stock a brand that didn't sell before, and Playmates doesn't want to make a bunch of toys if they're going to languish in a warehouse because retailers don't want them.

So true.

It seemed like for a while the ACTUAL Voltron lions were flying off the shelves, and the ones that didn't activate interlocks and form feet and legs just sat there taking up space. Because let's be honest, only a chump wants five robot lions that DON'T form a mighty robot loved by good and feared by evil.

Ok, it's been long enough.  I did not like the Atlas Transformation.  There, I said it.  It was just beyond goofy and really didn't add anything but to show an even bigger transforming ship.  And there was too much "space magic" involved in the transformation.

1 hour ago, Knight26 said:

Ok, it's been long enough.  I did not like the Atlas Transformation.  There, I said it.  It was just beyond goofy and really didn't add anything but to show an even bigger transforming ship.  And there was too much "space magic" involved in the transformation.

I'm going to agree with you there. I wished it had a more self-contained transformation. It almost like watching a magic-girl transformation. :lol:

4 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Of course there was a ton of shelf-warming, half the line was non-combining lions...

Even the combining lions shelf-warmed.  I almost bought a second black lion because it was only $12.

Personally, I think there was way too many non-combining lions and way too many Voltrons that didn't uncombine, but also way too few figures that weren't lions or Voltron. What were all those lions and Voltrons supposed to fight?

Agreed on Atlas—-the whole “legs” part was blatant “swapped in a whole new model from one frame to the next”, they didn’t even try to animate it.  It went from “one big block splitting” to “2 cylinders” in a single frame. 

2 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Agreed on Atlas—-the whole “legs” part was blatant “swapped in a whole new model from one frame to the next”, they didn’t even try to animate it.  It went from “one big block splitting” to “2 cylinders” in a single frame. 

Exactly, and the magic hands out of nowhere...  Come on, that is just lazy.  It was more ridiculous then the Battle-7 and Macross Quarter style transformation.  At least those made some semblance of sense. 

I've got to agree on the Atlas; while it was a nice nod to Macross in its clumsy way, the mechanical designers and animators didn't even bother engineering a ship with a passable breakdown for arriving at the final robot mode; the parts make no sense and just morph from one form into another that are barely related to their warship-born shapes.