17 hours ago, myk said:

True but I'll just throw the box out anyway; I'm all about the toy on this deal...

You throw away your boxes for high-end figures? What if you move? Or have to store the figure?

I finally got my 10 day notice from BBTS for my Chogokin Voltron. I liked the HLJ price more, but when they were sending out payment requests I was broke, same figure for the US release, plus an extra Voltron sleave works for me, I'm a Voltron fan not Golion anyway.

2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Anywhere left out there to pick this Volton up for MSRP or close???

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=BAN17110&mode=retail

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/figures/18045-soul-of-chogokin-gx-71-beast-king-golion.html

This is probably the cheapest you'll find. BBTS price is the US retail price for the US Bluefin distributed version, NY is a marked up price for the Bandai Japan version. Same exact toy and contents, but the US version will come with an extra Voltron sleeve over the main box.

15 minutes ago, Dobber said:

That eknight link shows $299.99 as well. 

Chris

It does now. but it was $266.99 when I originally posted.  Oh well, at least the prices are now consistent.

Edited by mechaninac

Jesus!  SoC Golion's jumped by over 10,000yen!  Glad I got it when NY first got new stock.  Only a 1000yen jump from PO.   Wasn't going to get it cause I thought it was going to be tiny and not worth the price but when that first shot of it beside Daltanius and Toynami Voltron showed up it was a buy.

3 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

What's the shipping cost for that to the US?   Wondering about "JP MSRP+shipping" vs US price w/free shipping.  

it's about 6,600 yen for ems on nippon-yasan,   The price with ems shipping from nippon-yasan is 31100 yen which is around $265 with the current exchange rate at the time.

On 1/6/2017 at 10:12 AM, Tking22 said:

You throw away your boxes for high-end figures? What if you move? Or have to store the figure?

I finally got my 10 day notice from BBTS for my Chogokin Voltron. I liked the HLJ price more, but when they were sending out payment requests I was broke, same figure for the US release, plus an extra Voltron sleave works for me, I'm a Voltron fan not Golion anyway.

If I don't have the original box I throw it in whatever box I can find; I'm past the point of treating toys like fine jewelry.  Well, except for my two Plus 1/60 YF's and VF.  Oh and maybe my 1/5 Elsa figure.  And maybe my MASK Rhino vehicle. 

Why isn't BBTS selling their units at the sub $300 price?

I've exceeded my January budget for toys, but I might have to work in the SOC Golion.

In other Voltron news, I had to go to Target today to get medicine for my daughter's ear infection.  Wasn't ready when I got there, so I figured I'd look in the toy aisle to kill time and was pleasantly surprised to find all five of the Legendary lions for Netflix Voltron cartoon.  Picked them all up.

Pros-

-He's a big guy, smaller than CW Devasator but bigger to the top of the head than a lot of my 3P combiners.

-Almost every joint is ratcheted.

-Reasonably articulated. Combined, he's got unversal hips, thigh swivels, knee bends, ankle tilts, shoulder rotation using the black lion's shoulders, lateral shoulder movement at the combiner peg, bicep swivels, elbows bends, wrists swivels, a little up/down tilt on the head, and a couple of joints in the wings.  Really only lacking head and waist swivels.

-Connections between lions are very secure.

Cons-

-The black lion has electronics, driving up the cost

-The other four lions come with these ridiculously large weapons that fire projectiles, driving up the cost.  But at least the electronics still do stuff in Voltron mode.  The weapons are really only good for lion mode, which means most of the time they'll be sitting in a box somewhere collecting dust.

-Sloppy paint, where applied.

-Plastic quality is not great.  He feels like a KO Transformer.

-Poor QC.  The area near the combiner peg wasn't attached correctly on my yellow lion, so I had to take it off and put it back on correctly.  One of my other lions has a odd gouge with some silver in it, like someone accidentally touched it with a hot soldering iron.

Target's pricing was $29.99 for the black lion and $17.99 each for the other four, making the combined experience a little over $100.  And, despite his large size, he doesn't feel like a $100 toy.  I think if Playmates had left out the electronics and the extra weapons, maybe even made each figure 10-20% smaller, and charged $20 for the black lion and $10 for the limbs he'd be an easy recommend, but as is I can't help but think that's $100 I could have saved toward the SOC Golion.

3 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I've exceeded my January budget for toys, but I might have to work in the SOC Golion.

In other Voltron news, I had to go to Target today to get medicine for my daughter's ear infection.  Wasn't ready when I got there, so I figured I'd look in the toy aisle to kill time and was pleasantly surprised to find all five of the Legendary lions for Netflix Voltron cartoon.  Picked them all up.

Pros-

-He's a big guy, smaller than CW Devasator but bigger to the top of the head than a lot of my 3P combiners.

-Almost every joint is ratcheted.

-Reasonably articulated. Combined, he's got unversal hips, thigh swivels, knee bends, ankle tilts, shoulder rotation using the black lion's shoulders, lateral shoulder movement at the combiner peg, bicep swivels, elbows bends, wrists swivels, a little up/down tilt on the head, and a couple of joints in the wings.  Really only lacking head and waist swivels.

-Connections between lions are very secure.

Cons-

-The black lion has electronics, driving up the cost

-The other four lions come with these ridiculously large weapons that fire projectiles, driving up the cost.  But at least the electronics still do stuff in Voltron mode.  The weapons are really only good for lion mode, which means most of the time they'll be sitting in a box somewhere collecting dust.

-Sloppy paint, where applied.

-Plastic quality is not great.  He feels like a KO Transformer.

-Poor QC.  The area near the combiner peg wasn't attached correctly on my yellow lion, so I had to take it off and put it back on correctly.  One of my other lions has a odd gouge with some silver in it, like someone accidentally touched it with a hot soldering iron.

Target's pricing was $29.99 for the black lion and $17.99 each for the other four, making the combined experience a little over $100.  And, despite his large size, he doesn't feel like a $100 toy.  I think if Playmates had left out the electronics and the extra weapons, maybe even made each figure 10-20% smaller, and charged $20 for the black lion and $10 for the limbs he'd be an easy recommend, but as is I can't help but think that's $100 I could have saved toward the SOC Golion.

Pictures, my good man...

This is only my second SoC, so I'm surprised how big he is compared to Voltes V. But man, I really love these SoC figures!

Voltron is quite an impressive display piece, because of the size, the chrome, and the overall polish of the toy.

I'm glad I have Mazinger Z on preorder. Hopefully they reissue Daimos soon.

IMG_1353.jpg

7 hours ago, myk said:

Pictures, my good man...

I'll try to get some up soon, but probably not until tomorrow. I was lazy last night, because my daughter's ear infection means she hasn't been sleeping well, and when a toddler doesn't sleep well no one in the house does. Plus tonight the wife is going to a concert with her friend, so it'll be just me and my cranky kid until late.

5 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I'll try to get some up soon, but probably not until tomorrow. I was lazy last night, because my daughter's ear infection means she hasn't been sleeping well, and when a toddler doesn't sleep well no one in the house does. Plus tonight the wife is going to a concert with her friend, so it'll be just me and my cranky kid until late.

Hope She Gets Better soon...

I very much agree with the new combining Voltron feeling like a KO.  Hollow, thin plastic, awful paint.  And while ratcheted, the joints are so loose/floppy that the floppiness (measured in degrees) is greater than the degrees between ratchet detents.   Only bought one to try---think I'll save my money and buy the SoC.  

14 hours ago, F360 said:

Got the email too , already intransit.   Best price in Usa , $250.19 shipped 

Only bad part of the free shipping is, will take almost two weeks to deliver. Mine is schedule to be deliver on 1\26 now and it was shipped on 1\13. It is worth the wait!

2 hours ago, dapro said:

Only bad part of the free shipping is, will take almost two weeks to deliver. Mine is schedule to be deliver on 1\26 now and it was shipped on 1\13. It is worth the wait!

It shouldn't really take 2 weeks, fedex smart post normally have a more generous eta since they can't control when your local postal station will distribute your package for delivery. It should not take fedex more than 7 days to hand it over to USPS so I'm gonna expect it around the end of next week, hopefully  :D.  I'm in SF, eta is 1/25

8 minutes ago, F360 said:

It shouldn't really take 2 weeks, fedex smart post normally have a more generous eta since they can't control when your local postal station will distribute your package for delivery. It should not take fedex more than 7 days to hand it over to USPS so I'm gonna expect it around the end of next week, hopefully  :D.  I'm in SF, eta is 1/25

Ok, Let's see who get it first! lol

On 1/13/2017 at 4:04 PM, myk said:

Hope She Gets Better soon...

Thanks.  It's not serious, though.  The pediatrician prescribed some antibiotics and she's already showing improvement.

Anyway, those pics you requested...

Black, red, and green lions.  Only the black lion can pose with his mouth open.  The other lions can open their mouths but they spring shut.  Individual lion articulation is kind of meh.  They can all bend at the hips and shoulders.  Each leg has some kind of elbow or knee, and they can bend at the paw.  The joints don't have as much range as you'd like, though.  For combined mode the red and green lions can turn their bodies a little to the side, and their heads can turn like they're confused.  The black lion's pretty much a brick full of electronics.

20170114_185632.jpg

Yellow and blue lions.  They don't have waist articulation and can't tilt their heads like the red and green, but they can look up and down.  The limb lions have soft rubber tails.  I didn't pose them; that's just how they've bent after being jammed up inside for combined mode for the last two days.  The black lion's tail is hard plastic and hinged at the base.

20170114_185854.jpg

These accessories are for Voltron.  The shield comes with the green lion.  The sword comes in two parts, oddly.  Half with red and half with green.  Notice the huge blotch in the black paint.

20170114_185919.jpg

The lion limbs also come with these stupid projectile launchers.  They mount on their backs in lion mode, but do nothing in combined mode but drive up the price.  The black lion doesn't come with any extra weapons or accessories.

20170114_190029.jpg

Each lion does come with a little pilot sled.  The black lion's is hard, the other four are a rubbery plastic.  Each lion has a door on its abdomen with a place the sled slots into.

20170114_190410.jpg

As I sad, plastic quality is pretty cheap all around.  The rear limbs on all the lions but the black are also pretty hollow.

20170114_190538.jpg

Here's the weird gouge I mentioned.

20170114_190502.jpg

And like I said, the paint is just sloppy all around.  Here are just some examples.  Look at how the yellow paint splattered onto the silver claws, how uneven the white paint is around the green lion's mouth, what appears to be a smudgy finger print on the lower jaw, and how many chips are in the paint in general.

20170114_190656.jpg20170114_190858.jpg

I've mentioned that the joints are ratcheted, but as David noted the play between the teeth is really loose.  Also, the lions' front legs don't really tuck as tightly as you'd like.  The result is that Voltron's feet aren't exactly flat.

20170114_191106.jpg

Voltron combined.  The springs in the lions' jaws provide enough tension for them to solidly hold the sword, and the green lion has a peg hole on his back fro the shield.  Note how the black lion's shoulder has to rotate to raise an arm, but lateral movement is on the combiner peg.  The rear legs do block the elbow a little, but he does have working elbows and rotating wrists.  On the bottom, he's got working hips, thigh swivels, bending knees, and a little ankle tilt but not really enough for more dynamic poses.  His wings also have a few points of articulation, but sadly he can't turn or tilt his head, nor does he have a waist swivel.

20170114_192034.jpg

Size comparison.  He's a pretty big mamma jamma.  I think everyone's pretty familiar with MP-10, yeah (which reminds me, can someone post a pic of SOC Golion with MP-10?).

20170114_192246.jpg

Anyway, I like that you can just walk into a store like Target and find these.  And they're not horrible.  But like I said, I feel like they're overpriced for what you actually get, and you're probably better off saving for SOC Golion.

I have the Black, Blue, and Green Lions. Like he said, articulation is pretty meh, mainly disappointed that the Red and Green can't look down but can only swivel their heads. With not being able to look down you can't have Voltron curl in his fists. I do like how the Red and Green lions store their front legs for  Voltron though. I've been thinly why don't they do that for Voltron toys for years. Simple and effective. 

Chris