Looks like ten to twelve inches.

I'd expect Voltron to skew high, because he is simpler to implement than some of the others they have done. There's a more limited engineering and assembly cost associated with the guy than, say, Gunbuster or Gaogaigar

Also, I find the preview picture interesting in that the green lion has the traditional "flathead screw" lion leg joints, but the red lion eschews them in favor of a sort of dinner plate look. I'm gonna have to see the full unveil shots to know how I feel about that change... oh, who am I kidding, it is a freakin' Soul of Chogokin Voltron. I will happily accept whatever Bandai decides to dump on us just because it is a modern combiner toy that looks like Voltron and isn't from Toonami/won't crumble to dust just sitting on the shelf .

Edited by JB0

Looks like ten to twelve inches.

I'd expect Voltron to skew high, because he is simpler to implement than some of the others they have done. There's a more limited engineering and assembly cost associated with the guy than, say, Gunbuster or Gaogaigar

Also, I find the preview picture interesting in that the green lion has the traditional "flathead screw" lion leg joints, but the red lion eschews them in favor of a sort of dinner plate look. I'm gonna have to see the full unveil shots to know how I feel about that change... oh, who am I kidding, it is a freakin' Soul of Chogokin Voltron. I will happily accept whatever Bandai decides to dump on us just because it is a modern combiner toy that looks like Voltron and isn't from Toonami/won't crumble to dust just sitting on the shelf .

What do you mean? That preview pics has the Green Lion with the flat-head look and the Red Lion has the circular ones.

I make no claims about accuracy, it's been so long since I've watched any Voltron I have no idea what's right or official.

-b.

Too many Voltrons to keep track of---is this a "new" one that hasn't been seen much? Or is it the non-transforming one?

And what's going on with the Toynami one? (which frankly, is the first one to really make any sort of attempt at improving how the lions look)

I will be sorely disappointed if the lions have the same shape and proportions as the 80's (and 90's) (and 00's) toys we've seen.

Why does Voltron consistently "get a pass" with not improving the overall shape/looks of the lions? Look how much YF-19 toys have improved in half the time or less.

I will be sorely disappointed if the lions have the same shape and proportions as the 80's (and 90's) (and 00's) toys we've seen.

Why does Voltron consistently "get a pass" with not improving the overall shape/looks of the lions? Look how much YF-19 toys have improved in half the time or less.

Because the original Popy DX toy was perfect aside from articulation! No dissent shall be tolerated!

In all seriousness, given that most of the merchandise took the aesthetic of that toy and adapted it to whatever product they were making(even molding and painting lion legs on parts that could never become lions), as did the CG sequel, a solid argument could be made that the "canon" version is the DX toy and the original cartoon is WRONG.

It could be worse. Everyone COULD be copying the chubby plastic one with cockpits for the figures. :p

What do you mean? That preview pics has the Green Lion with the flat-head look and the Red Lion has the circular ones.

I make no claims about accuracy, it's been so long since I've watched any Voltron I have no idea what's right or official.

-b.

Every Lion Voltron I've ever seen has matched legs on all four limbs. Almost always flathead screw legs(though YouTube sampling shows both in use in the anime, varying quite a bit from scene to scene). Seeing the red lion without the flathead screws looks inherently wrong to me.

I am HOPING they are hinting at swappable lion legs and it isn't really that red lion's legs don't match green lion's.

Edited by JB0

I really hope the lions have a decent amount of posability. That was the issue I had with the Mad Toys version. Ideally outward leg movement for some wide stances and the ability for the heads to look up and down.

That would be quite nice, yes.

It seems evil of them to drop that teaser image a full month before they "announce" the toy and leave us with all these unanswered questions.

Ordinarily, I'd just roll my eyes and move on, but this is a friggin' SOC Voltron. WE NEED TO KNOW.

ok, which is the Voltron to get at this point?

It's between this Soul of Chogokin one and the official version from I think Mad Toys. That is if they are even still making it now.

That was my immediate thought. I'm not an expert on the evolution of anime toys. But I thought modern anime toys were attempting to be more accurate to the show. Even if that means removing parts. My first thought was that looks kind of the same as the original with better materials and paint. But I looked at some posts on the Robot Japan forum. Someone brightened the picture and picked out new details. We can only wait for the few weeks to see what they have. But still I don't know why they would tease that picture with the legs still showing in Voltron forum if they were going to be removable.

thinking about this the other day...

toynami's new version (the $400 one, not the reissue 30th/20th anny one) seems to be the most ambitious

madtoys' version .... we got a preview with teh unlicensed one and i'm sure the licensed one if it comes to fruition will be just as good. this is a pretty simple modern "chogokin" style, great but not ambitious

bandia - what are they going to do with teh SOC version? the picture looks like it won't stray too far from voltrons of the past. whats going to make it "better" than the madtoys one (Which may or may not come to pass now IMO)? is it less ambitious about making good lions than toynamis new one?

oddly enough....i'm leaning towards the toynami at the second for favorite....guess i'll have to wait and see how it all plays out. let's hope bandai can surprise us with some innovatve engineering and qulaiaty.

Have you tried the Voltron comics? I guess they have the grit you want.

I would've been OK with something along the lines of the 80's Voltron cartoon. I think THAT show jumped the shark when the mice got their own mech lol...

I would've been OK with something along the lines of the 80's Voltron cartoon. I think THAT show jumped the shark when the mice got their own mech lol...

Don't think anyone in the West would be brave enough to be as hardcore and over the top as GoLion was.

Here is a translation of what the SOC Golion will have;

価格32400円
2016年12月発売予定
メーカー バンダイ

驚異の五獣合体システム!ここに再誕!
30年以上の時を超え、超合金魂として復活!
■商品には多数の武器をセット。各々の獅子に装備できる銃型武器、剣型武器をはじめ、
五獣合体ロボット時に装備できる十王剣やスペースカッターも付属。
これら全ての付属パーツは作中の城をモチーフにした台座に収納可能。
■象徴的な必殺技シーンの叫び顔は顔パーツを差換える事で再現可能!
■蹲踞、いわゆるお座りポーズまで考慮した可動機構により作中通りの幅広いポージングが可能。

【セット内容】ブラックライオン、レッドライオン、グリーンライオン、ブルーライオン、イエローライオン
十王剣、ダブルソード、スペースカッター、各種武装、専用台座

Price 32400 yen
2016 December will be released
Manufacturer Bandai

Wonders five beast combined system ! Sai誕here!
Beyond the time of more than 30 years , it resurrected as a super alloy soul !
■ Set a large number of weapons in the commodity . Gun-type weapon that can be mounted on the lion of each , the sword -type weapon the beginning ,
Also it included Juo swords and space cutter that can be mounted on the time of your beast coalescence robot .
All of the parts included these can be stored on the pedestal with the motif of the castle of Sakuchu .
■ shouting face of the iconic deathblow scene can be reproduced in that Sashikaeru the face parts!
■ squatting , it allows a wide range of poses of Sakuchu street by a movable mechanism that takes into account until the so-called Sitting pose .

Set contents Black Lion , Red Lion , Green Lion , Blue Lion , Yellow Lion
Juo sword , double sword , space cutter , various armed , Stand

Love love love love love how it takes some inspiration from the old DX Voltron toy. My love of Voltron has just as much to do with the old toys as it does the show, and to my eyes this SOC is a perfect balance between those two things.