Forgotten Realms Fans Rejoice!

Zor Primus

At long last – the most popular character in Fantasy Fiction makes his comic book debut! An outcast by birth and nature, the dark elf known as Drizzt is destined to walk a path of tragedy and adventure. Deep beneath the Earth’s surface lies the Underdark – a realm populated by all manner of strange beings and hideous creatures – and ruled over by the the Drow. Scorned by his family and even his race, the young Drizzt finds an unlikely ally in the Swordmaster Zaknafein. Adapting the first chapter of R.A. Salvatore’s hugely popular “Dark Elf Trilogy,†this is the holy grail of fantasy comic book fans!

Homeland_TPB.jpg

I already ordered the TPB for Homeland and will definatly be getting the Exile series next. I'm currently reading Servant of the Shard novel and have Sea of Swords and Hunter's Blade trilogy warming up in the bullpen. :D

I still think a trilogy set of Drizzt movies would blow away LOTR, imagine the Icewind Dale trilogy on the big screen! :o

Piss on Drizzt Do'Urden and piss on Forgotten Realms. Real D&D players played Greyhawk and Blackmoor....

353069[/snapback]

Dude, nobody plays Greyhawk. You might as well be saying, "Piss on CDs, real music fans listen to 8-track!"

Forgotten Realms = D&D.

Piss on Drizzt Do'Urden and piss on Forgotten Realms. Real D&D players played Greyhawk and Blackmoor....

353069[/snapback]

Whereas before I only thought you were sorta gay (for your silly Southern Cross fetish), now I think you're REALLY gay. GREYHAWK??? possibly THE most short-lived D&D suppliment ever created... if it were such a hot thing (and it wasn't), WHY wasn't more Greyhawk material produced?

Whereas before I only thought you were sorta gay (for your silly Southern Cross fetish), now I think you're REALLY gay.

Shove it up your @ss you f* cking retard....

GREYHAWK??? possibly THE most short-lived D&D suppliment ever created...

353090[/snapback]

You are, without a doubt, a moron.

First Greyhawk material: D&D Supplement I Greyhawk (1975)

I do believe the current D&D 3.5 Players Handbook states that the basic setting is, thats right, World of Greyhawk.

First Forgotten Realms material: Forgotten Realms box set, 1st Edition (1987)

So, what was that again, jack@ss? Thats right, you don't know what the f*ck you are talking about.

Thankfully this is an adaptation of the Dark Elf Trilogy and not the other books. IMO, Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn were the only decent novels of the 9 Drizzt books I read. In fact, I'd go so far to say that of all the licensed fantasy books I used to read (gawd, what a waste of time so many of those books were) the Dark Elf Trilogy was the one of the few decent series based upon a liscense, along side stuff like Weiss and Hickman's Chronicles/Legends series.

I'm going to be very critical of the graphic novel format, particularly for a character driven tale like the Dark Elf trilogy. Sure it has it's fair share of magic and monsters, but it is the character deconstruction/study that remains the central and most compelling part of the three books. Graphic novel adaptations are well known to sacrifice such deep character/story elements for more action-centric panels. The diary interludes at the beginning of each part of the books is central to the overall narrative and would be difficult to adapt properly in a graphic format while maintaining coherence. It's certainly doable, just difficult and will require effort, something I hope the adaptors do.

The one review I was able to find (on IGN) doesn't sound thrilling.

IGN Reviews Forgotten Realms: Legend of Drizzt: Vol. 1 Homeland

Suppose I'd have to read it myself to be sure, but it sound somewhat mediocre. Maybe worth a try.

March,

Don't even bother. It's a total action driven waste with lacking visually that remind one of MS's copy and paste function art-wise. Call it Drizzt-lite.

TOTALLY OT!

Forgotten Realms was designed in and about 78-ish, but wasn't collected into an approved setting until the boxed set, but was used in the early versions of D&D(not 1st nor 2nd editions). Greyhawk is one of the shortest lived settings wisely being phased out in the mid 80's and to is day there is a lack of adventure modules(with many of the modules only stating that they happen IN the setting of Greyhawk and having little to do with that world itself) & supplements for it(99% of which are rare to very rare finds that only collectors have a change of finding). It's also no surprise that Greyhawk was selected for the setting in 3.5(i believe it's creator helped to realize 3.0) because it's basically a clean slate to world from. Damned stupid because of the way 3.5 is designed, but hey if it sells.....

And isn't Darksun the shortest?

March,

Don't even bother. It's a total action driven waste with lacking visually that remind one of MS's copy and paste function art-wise. Call it Drizzt-lite.

*snip*

353129[/snapback]

How sad. But I'll always have my novels to read and enjoy.

I'm not sure if Dark Sun was the shortest campaign world, but it may have been. It ran from 1991 to 1996 (this does not include the Wizards of the Coast online content published starting in 2000). Dark Sun did have a 2nd Edition of the primary Campaing set released.

I think some of the later worlds like Birthright and such were the shortest.

Edited by Mr March

Jeesus, 1st Border Red Devil always seems to be in a bad mood.

Whether someone makes an offhand comment about Southern Cross, or expresses distain for a forgotten D&D campaign setting...the guy is nothing but bile.

Relax. Some people don't like what you do. If someone, god forbid, gets their facts wrong...there are ways to bring it to their attention that don't involve such inappropriate outbursts.

Neverwinter Nights 2 is going to be coming out

Looks like it's time to upgrade the old video card...

Man, I almost totally forgot about Dark Sun!

First Greyhawk material: D&D Supplement I Greyhawk (1975)

I do believe the current D&D 3.5 Players Handbook states that the basic setting is, thats right, World of Greyhawk.

First Forgotten Realms material: Forgotten Realms box set, 1st Edition (1987)

Forgotten Realms was designed in and about 78-ish, but wasn't collected into an approved setting until the boxed set, but was used in the early versions of D&D(not 1st nor 2nd editions). Greyhawk is one of the shortest lived settings wisely being phased out in the mid 80's and to is day there is a lack of adventure modules(with many of the modules only stating that they happen IN the setting of Greyhawk and having little to do with that world itself) & supplements for it(99% of which are rare to very rare finds that only collectors have a change of finding). It's also no surprise that Greyhawk was selected for the setting in 3.5(i believe it's creator helped to realize 3.0) because it's basically a clean slate to world from. Damned stupid because of the way 3.5 is designed, but hey if it sells.....

It doesn't matter which one was around longer. Ford would be the oldest automobile manufacturer in the world, but you still wouldn't catch me driving one. It's more about what they did. Greyhawk gave players a more cohesive setting for their D&D campaigns that simply having the DM make stuff up all the time. Dragonlance (specifically Weis and Hickman) showed that novels written about a D&D campaign setting can actually be epic fantasy instead of cheesy schlock. And Forgotten Realms made D&D an empire.

353100[/snapback]

Touched a sore spot, have I? Are you so insecure in your fanboyism that because someone insults what you like (and it IS pretty damn gay) you absolutely fall to pieces? Real men (and women) don't worry about what others think, as you obviously do. If you were a diehard fan, you'd continue to love Southern Cross regardless of how much ass it eats. Go jack off in your mother's underwear drawer you pussy... and rejoin the conversation when you're done acting like such a sh!tstain. If it bothers you still, either a) learn to like something that doesn't suck for once, or b) build a bridge and get over it.

Furthermore, just because Greyhawk came BEFORE Forgotten Realms doesn't mean it's BETTER. I would again point to the fact that Greyhawk was already almost nothing but a memory by the time I started playing AD&D in the late 1980s/early 1990s

Meanwhile, back on the topic:

an action-driven comic might not be such a bad thing. RA Salvatore had a wonderful way of narrarating the action sequences in his books that one sometimes has to wonder if John Woo had all of a sudden walked into Salvatores office and said "this is how it shall be done".

Now the question is, is it all new material? Or is it just a rehash of already written events?

353100[/snapback]

Meanwhile, back on the topic:

an action-driven comic might not be such a bad thing. RA Salvatore had a wonderful way of narrarating the action sequences in his books that one sometimes has to wonder if John Woo had all of a sudden walked into Salvatores office and said "this is how it shall be done".

Now the question is, is it all new material? Or is it just a rehash of already written events?

353233[/snapback]

Yeah the action sequences were very nice at the time of vague or sweeping fantasy settings(Wheel of Time series/Shannara).

It's been slightly re-imagined to reduce the amount of material. Which is pretty much expected given as how over 60% of each book is character building and very internal.

Salvatore's unique and I'd say phenomenal writing style is what got me hooked to his books. I didn't even read any of his Forgotten Realms stuff until much later. My first xp with his books were the Demon Wars series.

To be honest I would not expect the graphic novels to put a dent into any of the character developments we see in the Trilogy books. It would require at least a book for each character! I am just stoked actually seeing how the Underdark and Menzoberranzan look and compare it all to how Salvatore wrote it. We all know we probably wont see the graduation ceremony of Melee-Magathere ;) A few duels, principally Drizzt and Zaknafein's sparring and also when Drizzt takes ownership of Guenhwyvar would be awesome to see drawn.

I never played any of the D&D games so to be honest I have no idea what the debate is about. 1stDevil, coming in and not only not have a clue at what this thread is really talking about and then thrashing out like a baby at what others have to say is pretty fracktarded. Don't derail the thread on account of what I consider petty and totally off base from whats relevant here. If you have nothing to say about what this thread is really discussing then do us all a favor and move along.

Oh, there is no way in hell this thread has risen any geek temperatures, tempers maybe :rolleyes:

Edited by Zor Primus

*snip*

Oh, there is no way in hell this thread has risen any geek temperatures, tempers maybe  :rolleyes:

353642[/snapback]

No, but you have to admit it's a hilarious show. To see geeks attempt to quantify who is more geeky, as if anyone cares to distinguish between them :)

Edited by Mr March

No, but you have to admit it's a hilarious show.  To see geeks attempt to quantify who is more geeky, as if anyone cares to distinguish between them :)

353656[/snapback]

Yeah...I'll admit its funny, the various levels of geekdom...partaking in some of it but then get smacked in the face with response that makes you think "Holy shiza, did that guy ever leave his bedroom as a teenager?" :lol:

Ugh.

Drizzt (actually Salvatore's writing skills) = everything's that wrong with fantasy genre fiction.

Hopefully someone will attempt adapting some good fantasy. Like more George R.R. Martin or China Mieville.

353917[/snapback]

Yeah Salvatore's skills have dropped QUITE abit, and frankly 99% of 'fantasy' out there apes Tokiens stuff anyways, and George Martin isn't an exception either. I've not read Mieville though.