Macross Dvd: The Double Dip

bsu legato

Will you buy a copy of the new Macross DVD?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy a copy of the new Macross DVD?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

I'll be buying the "double dip," though I'm not sure if that's the right word for it.  This isn't the same company releasing a second edition to get more money--this is a wholly different company.
It still goes right back to Harmony Gold. They're the ones lining their pockets with our cash as many times as possible..

Remember when they said there would be no remaster of Robotech because it wasn't possible?

That there would be never be an "extended edition" of Robotech?

And that there would not under any circumstances be a dub version of Macross, Southern Cross, and MOSPEADA?

Then there was a remastered and extended version of Robotech released.

And now a dubbed Macross.

Not planning on buying the series again, not in singles at least.

Maybe if a cheaper thinpacked boxset comes out, I might. Even though ADV tends to strip the extras from those or so I hear... I rarely use DVD extras anyway.

Edited by haro genki

Well I will be interested in what others have to say about them. I never got the Animeigo versions mainly due to the fact that they were not sending them out to the U.K . Their loss. Well I have the Row-boat-heck versions but I also have the orginalSDF Macross Perfect editions. The subs are ok but in places they miss it a bit ( probably notice this due to learning Japanese), as long as its authentic and not row-boat-hecked then I may well splerge the money for it.

Hopefully HG will disapear up it own ass and we can all buy a copy with out having to pawn our Grannies.

Edited by big F

Remember when they said there would be no remaster of Robotech because it wasn't possible?

And that there would not under any circumstances be a dub version of Macross, Southern Cross, and MOSPEADA?

347733[/snapback]

Funny you should mention that. The last (and only) time I've seen Steve Yun on these boards, I asked him about that very same thing. Shockingly, I didn't get a reply. :rolleyes:

Well, I was browsing the compendium this morning, and came across some pretty good info IMHO...

Looks like ADV is using some of it's A-List talent for the other English voices of Macross. I for one, am pretty happy about this. I was worried that they would give us Mari as Minmay, and a bunch of no-names, but apparently not...

Vic Mignogna - Hikaru

Monica Rial - Misa

Mari Iijima - Minmay (No Link, DUH!)

Brett Weaver - Focker

Andy McAvin - Exsedol

John Swasey - Global

Illich Guardiola - Quamzin

John Gremillion - Britai

Christine Auten - Claudia

It's obvious that Minmay will carry a pretty heavy accent in the English dub. I wonder if they are going to fold this into any of the other characters?. The crew of the Macross is supposed to be Multi-National after all. While I wouldn't want them to overdo it, it would be nice to see at least Global done that way. I hate to use the R word here, but I think they did a pretty good job with his accent in Robotech. He is supposed to be Eastern European after all.

I wonder if they are going to fold this into any of the other characters?.  The crew of the Macross is supposed to be Multi-National after all. 

While I wouldn't want them to overdo it, it would be nice to see at least Global done that way.  I hate to use the R word here, but I think they did a pretty good job with his accent in Robotech.He is supposed to be Eastern European after all.

350014[/snapback]

Actually, Global's more Mediterranean (Italian) than Eastern European and if they can pull it off right (giving him a nice subdued Italian accent -- if they make him sound like either Don Corleone or [worse] Nikita Khruschev, they're gonna hear from me) it would add a lot to the program. In the same way, if they make the other characters sound subtly multinational (give Max a slight Austrian accent, or Kakizaki and Misa slight Japanese accents, if possible) it could add to the richness of the dub. But it's too easy to be overdone as well making it sound ludicrous.

Unless something drastic happens(like my Animeigo disks suddenly split in 2), I'm going with no.

I don't care about the dub, and I have no problems with the current subs.

I really see no reason to replace my existing set.

346946[/snapback]

Ditto! Besides I was one of the early people who paid A LOT for the set so it could be produced, for that price now I could get two fracking sets. So pass! <_<:p

I'll be buying the "double dip," though I'm not sure if that's the right word for it.  This isn't the same company releasing a second edition to get more money--this is a wholly different company.

And frankly, I was never thrilled about Animego's price gouging.  First of all the discs themselves were very expensive.  And then I find out that they were single-layer DVD5's.  The could have used double-layer DVD9's (like most commercial movie DVD's) and been able to fit twice as many episodes on one disc at the EXACT same quality.

Twice as much storage = half the total number of discs.  Half the discs = far cheaper to collect the whole series.

347720[/snapback]

I completely agree the discs were EXPENSIVE and should've been double-layered. WTF can we do now, huh? :(

Unless something drastic happens(like my Animeigo disks suddenly split in 2), I'm going with no.

I don't care about the dub, and I have no problems with the current subs.

I really see no reason to replace my existing set.

346946[/snapback]

Ditto! Besides I was one of the early people who paid A LOT for the set so it could be produced, for that price now I could get two fracking sets. So pass! <_<:p

350055[/snapback]

Same here. I love my beautiful black box.

I would imagine that the fact that Animeigo was doing a frame-by-frame restoration of Macross had at least something to do with the high cost of the initial set. A restoration which is now paid for, allowing ADV to market the new set at a much lower price point.

And 4 episodes to a disc isn't that bad. I think there's still companies out there producing 3 eps to a disc even today in 2005.

I kinda want to buy it to support Mari Iijima.  Does she get some kind of royalty per disk?  How do these things work anyway?

350215[/snapback]

Well, you were there at MWCon, when she told us how badly she got screwed with the first series. Based on that, if she didn't work out a sweet deal for herself with this go around, then I REALLY feel sorry for her.

I just think it's really cool that she will have been the voice of Minmay in both languages.

Yes.  I will support HG if they do cool sh!t, and this is cool.  Getting Mari to do an english dub was brilliant.

Actually, if HG decided to drop the whole Rowboatech thing and just co-produce/distribute Macross branded products with the help of actual anime professionals, I'd love em.

346948[/snapback]

You are quite the dreamer, John. Maybe a miracle will happen and HG will do that and stop blocking cool imported stuff. Wait... I'm grounded in reality.

To answer the poll; NO!!!!

Edited by Jemstone

I kinda want to buy it to support Mari Iijima.  Does she get some kind of royalty per disk?  How do these things work anyway?

350215[/snapback]

Well, you were there at MWCon, when she told us how badly she got screwed with the first series. Based on that, if she didn't work out a sweet deal for herself with this go around, then I REALLY feel sorry for her.

I just think it's really cool that she will have been the voice of Minmay in both languages.

350223[/snapback]

that's exactly why I want to support her, but would I need to if she already got paid? lol.

I wonder if we will ever see the day a yamato 1/48 is packaged as a robotech toy and sold in local toy stores everywhere for a fraction of the cost to import them?

And then when the toy stores have clearance sale you can get them even cheaper. That would be cool. Macross might just be more easy to market with an english dub for those who won't watch subbed.

When is Kawamori going to do a Transformers diecast Jetfire BinalTech? :D (he did that optimus prime toy didn't he?) Imagine if it turned out to be more detailed than the yamato 1/48 vf1? :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I voted "undecided".

I own the Animego boxed sets, so I don't really see the need to sink money into another collection of the original series. My "Macross Money" is currently tied up in ordering DVDs from Japan(Zero,Seven,etc.).

On the other hand, if my Animego disks go bad or if I see super-good reviews on these boards, I may check 'em out.

350215[/snapback]

IIRC, most actors do negotiate for a cut of the DVD/home video sales. That, for instance, was one of the factors that held up the DVD release of the TV series M*A*S*H, as Alan Alda and a couple of the other stars of the series kept the release tied up because they wanted a a larger share of royalties (especially Alda, who was star, writer, director and producer for the show later on in its run). Royalties are a big part of continuing income for an artist, and is why copyrights are such a third rail today.

I wouldn't be surprised if ADV gave Mari a sweetheart deal themselves just so they could haver her back in the role of Minmay. And as she's had 20-some-odd years now of experience in show business on both sides of the Pacific, she's most likely gotten a fair amount of business acumen or retained a good agent who has that business acumen.

I would imagine that the fact that Animeigo was doing a frame-by-frame restoration of Macross had at least something to do with the high cost of the initial set. A restoration which is now paid for, allowing ADV to market the new set at a much lower price point.

And 4 episodes to a disc isn't that bad. I think there's still companies out there producing 3 eps to a disc even today in 2005.

350189[/snapback]

Yes the people who first signed on early for the Macross dvd set carried the burden of the costs for that... so others afterwards reaped the benefits. I know it was needed, but IMO it still stinks. :angry: If AnimEigo kept the prices reasonably close it'd be fair but it never happened. I don't know about other people but I certainly feel like I footed the bill for someone else.

As for the four eps/disc instead of companies that STILL produce three/disc... those are companies I personally BOYCOTT! Three/disc WTF is wrong w/those companies?! <_< Greedy corporate bastards, for tv series there definitely should be more than a measily three eps (more like five plus). For the OVAs like GunBuster that can fit on one bloody disc but aren't, the only reason why they aren't doing it is b/c they companies are greedy and gouging the buyers! Iczer-1 OVAs and Dangaioh OVAs all fit on one disc per title. Gee... wonder why? :rolleyes:

347733[/snapback]

Well brother your first mistake was "believing" them! :rolleyes:

HG has to raise moolah to pay for it's new series.

With Macross a cash cow project and RT an American house hold name, the risk of "brand" confusion is essentially gone, thanks to less than tasteful business practices over the years.

Therefore, it is only to be expected that they'll milk the series for every cent they can!

Fortunately it's ADV who's doing the dub and I have no doubt there are MANY Macross fans on that staff who want to see the show get the treatment is deserves. Hence the "A" list ADV voice actors assigned to the project.

The only topper would be for Mari to be contracted to "transliterate" the lyrics to Minmay's songs and sing them in the show (though that would require a separate deal between ADV and the record company who holds the music rights to the songs).

As I said, I'll be buying it and setting it along side my Animeigo set. :D

Edited by Zinjo

Well brother your first mistake was "believing" them! :rolleyes:

I never said I did.

I didn't care, so I never considered their honesty.

All I wanted was Macross, subbed. And I got it 5 years ago.

With Macross a cash cow project and RT an American house hold name, the risk of "brand" confusion is essentially gone, thanks to less than tasteful business practices over the years.

The brand confusion is as prevalent as ever.

People still believe Macross is "japanese Robotech" and that Southern Cross and MOSPEADA are "seasons 2 and 3 of Macross."

Therefore, it is only to be expected that they'll milk the series for every cent they can!

Well, yeah.

That doesn't mean we can't point out their shameless abuse of the fans.

People wouldn't have plunked down the cash for the original releases if they'd known that one with the features they wanted was coming.

HG wouldn't have made a release WITHOUT the high-demand features if they hadn't intended to double-dip.

I half-suspect that's why the sounds were changed on Robotech Remastered, just so people that held out and got the cleaned-up extended version might go back and get the originals just to have non-crappy sound effects.

Is it cynical? Yes. Has HG justified the cynicism? Also yes.

If they wanted to, what HG could/should have done was released a version of the robotech show which had clean visuals and old sounds...with the newer sounds as selectable option. This would make customers happier, and fans feel less cheated. If you don't like the old sounds, you can press the audio button to select newer ones. You would also feel less cheated becasue the version you bought was uncensored and contains all the stuff cut from the tv show. instead of including it as exclusive content in remastered. doh

That's what makes dvds worth buying. You have the options that the format provides at the push of a button, and massive quality increase from vhs. If they didn't behave so greedily people would have the ultimate version of something in one package. :( (instead of wasting money on multiple versions of the same thing and getting confused and too pissed to bother with it)

HG is just raping thier own fans and treating them like crap. Plus destroying fans of (the true) macross by preventing people from knowing anything about toys that are not from toynami. (you are forbidden from even mentioning other companies in the forums) Bottomline: don't trust them to treat you with respect or to tell you the truth. They have thier own agenda/reasons for misleading thier own customers.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

HG is just raping thier own fans and treating them like crap. They have thier own agenda/reasons for misleading thier own customers.

350645[/snapback]

Hopefully HG will disapear up its own ass and leave the Macross/anime market which it is doing so much harm to. I feel I should post on the Row-boat-heck site I recon I could get two posts before they ban me.

Took Micro$oft 3 days to ban me from the Xbox forums when I posted about modded xboxes, pointing out the pros and cons to it, the flame war from all the idiots who called me a pritate was fun. I did point out to them that I was working for Micro$oft , but they were too dumb to notice.

That sort of behavior is unfortunately all too obvious on many forums except this one thankfully

In a similar way HG have this sort of attitude that we here you all but F*!CK you we want our dollars.

When you buy a DVD in the shops, for example lets say you bought the Xmen DVD now when it first came out It had extras and was full to the brim on the DVD it cost you say $25, six months later they brought out Xmen DVD 1.5 as a prelude to the new film get s you in the mod for the next film at the cinema it costs you $20. You buy it anyway as it has some unseen footage of the first film and some scenes from Xmen 2. You know that when Xmen 2 came out on DVD it would probably do something similar when Xmen 3 was due, but you still bought the DVD.

My point is that you dont feel cheated by them as you only paid say $40 for those disks and they do have different extras and are not too expensive.

So when HG or whoever say Row-Boat-Heck or Macross on DVD never to be repeated get you copy now buy it before we stop printing it, you run out and get it as you kinda think I gotta get it before I cant anymore. Then they sting you $300 for it and you buy it coz its Macross and Macross it cool and your passion.

Then the A-holes go out and do a turn around and say new remastered and improved DVD never to be released again get it while we still make it, oh yeah and it s $300 thanks.

After a while it will be like the boy who call wolf, and you`ll all say yeah watever and go and download it via bittorent or rent it from Blockbusters and copy it or something.

My point is that they are only doing themselves harm, not only are they cashing in on it all they are stopping new audiences from seeing it. In a world where you can buy your kids toys from the latest 18 cert films in toys r us why cant we see Macross and other anime in the way it was writen in japanese or in faithfull english translations.

Rant over but you get my point (hopfully)