A reserved but amazing start to the second season so far. I'm so invested in the fates of so many characters, each episode is a delight. I particulary enjoy the setup of the next chapter of character relationships; Tyrion and Cersei, Cersei and Joffrey, Sansa and Joffry, Danerys and her khalisar, Rob and Renly, Stannis and his impact on the realm, etc. So damn good. I hope this series lives up to it's promise. it has the potential to become as good as "The Wire" or "Breaking Bad"...possibly even better. Can't wait for more.

The second episode was leaked on the net.

Just look for it now.

Yeah, my coworker noticed this yesterday. I watched the second episode last night and the series is now back in full swing. Excellent episode, lots of tension and a great final act. I particularly liked the scene with Tyrion and Cersei verbally sparring about the more colorful elements of their family history. So damned good.

The second episode was leaked on the net.

Just look for it now.

YAY! :D

Thanx, found the link!

It has been verified that money was put in to show some battlefield action.

Fantastic to read this.

Thanx!

Edited by Omegablue

I've got Game of Thrones Season One on Blu-Ray and it's incredible. Easily reference level for HD, both video and audio. Disks are very nicely put together and jump to the main menu almost immdediately. The special features are solid and the commentaries are pretty damned good (even the weaker ones have their moments). Highly recommended.

Ah, we silly North Americans. Show us a pair of tits or a penis and we run...we scream...we hide...we make SNL skits to mask our awkward sexual repression. Thank you North America, you never cease to embarass me. As some consolation, at least the skit made me laugh :)

Good news

Yes, it's official.

HBO has ordered a third season of GAME OF THRONES.

Like the first two seasons, it will be ten episodes long. This one will cover (roughly) the first half or thereabouts of A STORM OF SWORDS, the third novel in the series.

I'll be writing the seventh episode, with the working title "Autumn Storms."

From Martin's own blog: http://grrm.livejournal.com/

I have an inkling the 10th episode of Season 3 will be titled "The Rains of Castamere"... If you haven't read A Storm of Swords, don't spoil yourself!

Also, from tv co-creader Weiss http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-of-thrones-renewed-season-3-306981

Keeping with the first two seasons, the third likely will consist of 10 episodes -- but unlike the first two, it won't likely follow one of Martin's books from start to finish. Echoing past sentiments, co-creator Weiss recently acknowledged that A Storm of Swords couldn't be told in just 10 episodes.

"A Storm of Swords is too long to fit in a single season," said Weiss. "And as readers know, A Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons take place during roughly the same time frame, so we’ll have to fold those together. The plan, if we’re lucky enough to be given the opportunity to see it through, is to use as many seasons as we need to tell the story as a whole, to do justice to George’s entire opus."

There's a lot of material in A Storm of Swords, so Seasons 3/4 then.

Seasons 5/6 should be the folded Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons, but reshuffled so that the events are in chronological order rather than keeping with the books.

All this means that Martin needs to finish the sixth book A Winds of Winter in at most 4 years, and the final book A Dream of Spring shortly after if the momentum of one tv season a year is kept...

Edited by the_foul_fowl

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really on the fence about this show. I want to enjoy it, but having read the books the show feels...cheap I guess. I suppose this happens with any book that is turned into something else, but I just feel like the show falls short. It seems like they...I dunno, have to spell things out more or change arbitrary things to make sure people don't get confused or something.

It's hard for me to articulate things I dislike other than "this is like if they filmed the cliffnotes and made things simpler". Maybe it's unfair to match the book and show up so closely, but I just can't help it when I try to watch the show.

Good news

From Martin's own blog: http://grrm.livejournal.com/

I have an inkling the 10th episode of Season 3 will be titled "The Rains of Castamere"... If you haven't read A Storm of Swords, don't spoil yourself!

It's been nearly an hour since I've heard that one... I'm afraid I'll forget how it goes.

(Seriously though, I just read that chapter earlier today.)

I'm thinking a better title for Storm of Swords would've been Two Weddings and Several Thousand Funerals.

I'm really on the fence about this show. I want to enjoy it, but having read the books the show feels...cheap I guess. I suppose this happens with any book that is turned into something else, but I just feel like the show falls short. It seems like they...I dunno, have to spell things out more or change arbitrary things to make sure people don't get confused or something.

It's hard for me to articulate things I dislike other than "this is like if they filmed the cliffnotes and made things simpler". Maybe it's unfair to match the book and show up so closely, but I just can't help it when I try to watch the show.

I hear ya. After finishing the first book, I watched the first episode of the show, and...didn't like it all that much.

I'll probably give it another chance after the books have faded from my memory a bit.

Edited by Gubaba

• 2 weeks later...

I started A Dance with Dragons last week. Books 1-3 are brilliant. Especially Storm of Swords. Feast for Crows annoyed me because the ending makes half the book filler. Plus it was about pretty much everyone I think is boring. Hope Dance is better.

As for the show... season 1 was great, even though it was a bit "cheap" feeling. It was odd that they were missing battles & who the hell is Roz?

Season 2 makes me worry if there was already too much material to cover clash in one season. I am worried because Storm of Swords is my favorite so far, looks like they're going 2 seasons though.

Edited by Max Jenius

The producers are planning for ASOS to be in two seasons, so no worries there. I'm kind of miffed with this whole 10-episode season format. Already ACOK is feeling very truncated. I know they are doing their best to fit in what they can, but would a 12-episode season really have hurt HBO, considering this is their #1 hit show?

Some of the vibes I have gotten from my non-ASOIAF reading friends is that this season seems much more rushed. Although the pre-existing fanbase can't be denied, this show has attracted a lot of viewers who haven't read the books. I'd hate for it to lose them in the second season.

Just something to note, while it might seem obvious to add more episodes and expand the budget for Game of Thrones, HBO has had several series fail in the past due to loss of control over budget. Series like Rome and Deadwood were cancelled before their time due to ballooning budgets. Even with GoT's popularity and success, there is a realistic ceiling. HBO is not a major Hollywood studio (only a subsidiary of one) and they have to keep things tight. I've heard from unofficial sources that GoT is also ridiculously expensive, to the tune of $60-70 million per season. Fortunately for us fans, most of that money is seen on screen :)

Edited by Mr March

Roz is meant to be the face of all the nameless prostitutes from the books. There will be the big battle from A Clash of Kings on screen, that was confirmed. Will it be as epic as the book, probably not but it will be there. Yes it bothers me too how things are changed as I am currently going through the books but I understand why they are and yes they do have to spell things out for the mass audience where many things are implied in the book because remember most people are reading the books, yet. I didn't until i saw the first season then I was hooked and haven't stopped reading. It's always fun to jump on the L train and see two other people with the books in their hands, and give them a smile. Even at work (I am a genius at Apple currently in Chicago) when someone works as a business representative they where black shirts, a guy visiting the other day said that yes he put on the black. We had a great conversation about GoT from that one phrase. I look forward to where the series go, and can glance over most differences except one. When the birth scene happened that pissed me off. Only because they are trying to shock audiences which I get but I think you could've gotten a double wow moment by sticking with the books in terms of events on that one. Let the death happen first and be all mysterious and mystical then show where the killer came from. That would've been better but oh well.

I started A Dance with Dragons last week. Books 1-3 are brilliant. Especially Storm of Swords. Feast for Crows annoyed me because the ending makes half the book filler. Plus it was about pretty much everyone I think is boring. Hope Dance is better.

Okay, I just finished Feast for Crows, and, er...

...I have no idea what you're talking about. Half the book filler? How so?

Edited by Gubaba

Latest episode...

That was so C*** of Jaime to warm up to his cousin, and then bash his head in. Why didn't he simply ask his cousin to pretend getting beaten? Or does Jaime really enjoy blood that much?

I'm tempted in reading the books, and then I know it will spoil the series, which I'm really liking.

Apparently Episode 9 will have the big battle finale at king's landing, and 10 will just bridge the characters in the next season?

Edited by Omegablue

I'm tempted in reading the books, and then I know it will spoil the series, which I'm really liking.

This sounds kinda ass-backwards to me, honestly.

Seriously, as good as the show may be, the books are better. It's THEM you don't want to spoil! B))