This is one of those threads that I can't read and can't post in, because I know someone--at some point--will inadvertently post a spoiler without the tags and it'll ruin something for me.

That said, I felt the need to say that for my money this is the best show on TV right now.

Last night's episode, while not totally unexpected, was still quite an eye-opener! I really wish I had waited until the season was over, then watch the whole season's episodes together. Every time it finished, I really, really, really want to watch the next one!

just watched the latest ep.

shocked and sad when I got to this part in the book... still made me sad watching it happen on the show :(

i was hoping they'd finish Danaerys' part in the episode :p ... but that's for next week's episode... can't wait!

... Every time it finished, I really, really, really want to watch the next one!

exactly how i feel.

Edited by m0n5t3r

I know it i hard to fit in, but sometimes I totally miss all the detail from the books. Like in ep 9

there is no indication that Ned is being beheading by his own sword, Ice. If you haven't read the books, you'd miss out on this unless you have a quick eye.

Also, they are really playing down the direwoves, which could be to their detriment in future seasons.

just watched the latest ep.

shocked and sad when I got to this part in the book... still made me sad watching it happen on the show :(

Aye. I've read the book many times and it's still painful getting through the scene. In the book, this is the last scene, but it does make sense that it's rearranged in the miniseries. I'm thinking the last scene of the miniseries will be

the hatching of daenary's dragons,

which rounds off the miniseries nicely.

That's pretty funny. :) Have you guys heard this though. If you like the theme this guy made a pretty sweet version of it.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

kinda disappointed with the finale. It wasn't a bad episode but it wasn't a good season ender. It felt like you're still waiting for things to happen and aside for one or two events... most build ups this season have been pretty anti climactic.

That's kinda disappointing to hear. I reserved my judgment of the show because it seemed like they were building towards something, but if it's all build up and no pay offs, I'll probably check out. So far they've killed off or put strong characters that I thought would be badass in action in some sort of confinement, not just captured but in a place where there's really nothing happening. Major arcs of the story is mostly played off screen, even though I've heard that the book is gory. I understand the point of holding back in the beginning but I feel like I'm asking myself "why didn't they show that?"

spent the whole show waiting for stuff to be said or to happen that didn't... kinda wishing the"magical" part would've played out the way it did in my head when I read it :p ... and that actress playing Mirri Maz Duur was really crappy at saying her lines.

...back to the books now...

That's my favorite scene and he's my favorite character/actor in the whole show. I actually asked if that was gonna come back to bite him and then they made him the you know what of the you know who... lol.

Catelyn Stark is a pretty strong character. There's no shortage of intrigue and strategy, I suppose that's why it is called a game in the title. But I'm not a big fan of even bigger scale events happening off screen. Sometimes disappointment outweighs the good for me... (Ahem! Super8!)

My other favorite scene is when the Khalisi stands up at the end... OH MAMA!!! :blink:

I liked how it ended. There are, of course, variations from the books, but not enough to turn me off.

One of the biggest complaints is the lack of battle scenes, and this on I'd have to agree with. Even if they just get a short aerial view running on Massive or something so that we can get a feel for the size of these armies. When the Khalasar was marching, they were supposed to be about 40k people, so a quick CGI shot of that would've been cool.

I cannot find it right now, but I think this complaint was brought up with D&D, and they acknowledged that it may be fixed in season 2.

Which it should, because from here on out, the battles (heck, even marching armies) DO become much more important to the plot-lines, enough so that you can't really do all of them off screen anymore).

The lack of battles shown reminds me of how HBO did the Rome TV series. Despite the story talking place during at least three wars one after another, only two battle sequences were ever shown during the entire run. It was supposed to be more of a character driven show, but maybe it happened because the production values were too high and too ambitious when they did it. Unfortunately, that got it cancelled.

For reference, this was all we got after two seasons. NSFW

HBO: Rome - Battle of Philippi

In the book, was Tyrion also knocked unconscious before the battle in episode 9? I thought that was a cop out so they wouldn't have to show it, but it was really funny for him.

No he fights and actually does quite well. He even takes a knight prisoner after he himself is almost captured. This is when he is wounded in his arm. I think he does pass out after someone comes to his aid after he has taken the night.

Chris

That's kinda disappointing to hear. I reserved my judgment of the show because it seemed like they were building towards something, but if it's all build up and no pay offs, I'll probably check out. So far they've killed off or put strong characters that I thought would be badass in action in some sort of confinement, not just captured but in a place where there's really nothing happening. Major arcs of the story is mostly played off screen, even though I've heard that the book is gory. I understand the point of holding back in the beginning but I feel like I'm asking myself "why didn't they show that?"

Don't get me wrong the books are very, very good. Things actually do pick up by the second book.

• 2 weeks later...

just finished reading book 3... damn! :o

i had to stop at around p. 482 coz of shock, sadness and disbelief. :(

damn those Freys. can't wait for them to get theirs... for a fcuking broken marriage oath!?!?!? I hope the Twins burn to the ground.

...and why are the ugly fcukers the ones turning out to be the heroes of the story... the hound, the wench and the imp... :p

on to the next book...

Edited by m0n5t3r

I also just finished book 3..

I agree...

really hope the Frey's get theirs in the end

also...

Cercie really REALLY needs to die soon and hopefully the story can move away from the bickering in the 7 kindoms and move onto the larger threat.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those who didn't know, BlueBolt, the visual effects house for the first season of GoT, has posted a short video showcasing what their work. It is a neat little video, but can be kind of spoilerish...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkptadiDABo&feature=player_embedded

Regretfully for BlueBolt (but maybe good for us) is that their services have not been retained for season 2, as it was determined that they were too small to handle the visual effects load needed. Let us hope this includes some large-scale army action (Massive can easily put together a nice aerial view), as a common complaint about season 1 was the description of large armies on the move or at battle, and yet all we see is a line of about 40 Dothraki horsemen...

Secondly, I just finished A Dance with Dragons last night (unrelenting spoilers below):

It was OK. There wasn't a lot that really stood out at me. I definitely do not for a second believe that Jon Snow is dead. My guess is that the Night Watch as we knew it is no more. I'm guessing the wildlings, who have a lot riding on Jon staying in charge, will come to his rescue along with the Black Brothers who are loyal to Jon. Looking at it all, GRRM seems to be setting up The Wall to shed it's dependence on financing and men from the Seven Kingdoms, and may become a kingdom in its own right.

Is Stannis dead? I'm not so sure. One thing we have learned is that the Boltons are a tricky lot, possibly even less trustworthy than the Freys (oohhh... I hate the Freys). The fact that Bolton still does not have "Arya" leads me to believe he is playing a ruse.

As for across the Narrow Sea? Nothing was so pointless and boring as all of those Dany chapters. They could easily have been whittled down by half and even then would've been too long, which is a shame because she used to be so much fun to read. The one take away I got at the end, and I think this is what GRRM was having her realize, is that staying still is worthless. She needs to be on the move towards Westeros and when she settles in, things get dull.

Overall, it was OK. After reading it, I am not more excited about it than AFFC, and it is looking that AFFC and ADWD will be at their best when the whole series is complete and read all in a row with the other books.

There's a piece on Entertainment Weekly (maybe 2 weeks ago) where the writers talk about having big battles, bigger dire wolves and more things that will require more CG. I might be part of the Comic Con panel interview. It said something about how the wolves are still growing.