The Xbox 360 Thread!

It's less then 3 weeks until the most powerful home gaming console is released on November 22nd. I think it's time that we start a dedicated thread to the first of the next generation machines. :)

So who's getting one? What games do you plan on getting? Will you be gaming with Xbox Live? If you are MGREXX, you are welcomed to make an @$$ of yourself, too! :p

In my case, I'm getting the complete $399 package. Getting an extra wireless controller, Dead or Alive 4, and Ridge Racer VI. If I trade in some more stuff soon, might either get Peferct Dark Zero or Call of Duty 2. Already have the Halo triple pack and Dead or Alive Ultimate to play on it. Strongly considering making this the first console system I take online. :)

FYI, I wouldnt buy the Xbox360 right now. My contacts at Microsoft are saying some tests in the productiosn seems like they are having issues. Specific ones, I do not know since my friend cannot disclose those. He told me he wouldnt get one till they get to the 3rd production run when then iron out those issues.

I heard that the 360 will have shortages

http://ve3dboards.ign.com/board/b10569/22162268/p1/?44

Where are you getting yours?

341661[/snapback]

Getting my stuff through Gamers which is a local store (three in the Omaha area and several elsewhere in the Midwest). Possibly won't get it on launch day since they don't have the same importance as Gamestop for example, but if I have to wait a few extra days or weeks, so be it.

A couple of days ago, I went to Best Buy and tested the XBOX360 demo. Call of Duty 2 looks really good. King Kong has amazing detail, but the framerate fluctuates a lot, not to mention that the camera angles need more work.

I might get one in the near future (perhaps after paying off my Mustang), but I'll wait until the PS3 comes out.

A couple of days ago, I went to Best Buy and tested the XBOX360 demo. Call of Duty 2 looks really good. King Kong has amazing detail, but the framerate fluctuates a lot, not to mention that the camera angles need more work.

I might get one in the near future (perhaps after paying off my Mustang), but I'll wait until the PS3 comes out.

341682[/snapback]

A7, I love that Novemeber avatar babe of the month. You really need to setup a site for all pics of the previous avatar babes of the month. :D

Yes, I know it's a lot to read through, but we've actually been discussing the 360, along with the PS3 and Revolution, in this thread for months now.

In summary, yes I'm getting one on launch day, yes it's the $400 one, yes I have played the demo unit, no I'm not super impressed, but yes I love the controller, and yes I'm still cautiously optimistic for Perfect Dark. I'm also hoping to get DoA4 (not that it's super impressive or anything, just that I'm a DoA fan the way other people are Soul Calibur or Tekken fans), Tiger Woods, and Need for Speed. And a second controller.

FYI, I wouldnt buy the Xbox360 right now.  My contacts at Microsoft are saying some tests in the productiosn seems like they are having issues.  Specific ones, I do not know since my friend cannot disclose those.  He told me he wouldnt get one till they get to the 3rd production run when then iron out those issues.

341666[/snapback]

Any idea when the 3rd production run will be? I don't know how these runs work; how long there is in between each run. Are we talking weeks? Months? Year(s)?

Edited by Oihan

Yes, I know it's a lot to read through, but we've actually been discussing the 360, along with the PS3 and Revolution, in this thread for months now.

In summary, yes I'm getting one on launch day, yes it's the $400 one, yes I have played the demo unit, no I'm not super impressed, but yes I love the controller, and yes I'm still cautiously optimistic for Perfect Dark.  I'm also hoping to get DoA4 (not that it's super impressive or anything, just that I'm a DoA fan the way other people are Soul Calibur or Tekken fans), Tiger Woods, and Need for Speed.  And a second controller.

341709[/snapback]

Well we do have a dedicated PSP thread for that particular system. :) With the release of the 360 just a matter of a few weeks away, I thought it was relevant to start a dedicated topic.

we've had X360 dev-kits at work for months now, but sadly, no games (aside from our own titles) to play... I can tell you this much, most of the launch titles (...let's just say, all 12) are basically "ports" of PS2 and XBOX(1) games with bumped-up graphics and bigger levels. Personally, I'm just gonna wait 'til next year when I can get an XBOX 360 for $150 less and a poo-load more (tried and tested) games to choose from. Hey, any of you remember when PSX gave way to PS2? The best games on any system only come out after the people who make the games find all the "nooks-and-crannies" of the current system. ...what I mean is, look at the launch games for the first Playstation (PSX) compared to the games that came out for PSX by the time the PS2 debuted!!! ...and now, just guess how cool and advanced PS2 games are compared to those launch titles now that PS3 is coming out!!!

live and learn, people. ...people, live and learn.

All I want to know is, when is Halo 3 coming out?  I probably won't buy an X-Box 360 until Halo 3 is out...unless they release another Soul Calibur game for the 360 of course :)

342038[/snapback]

Right now it looks like next June tentatively.

Two months ago when I was clearing out much of my video game collection, my original idea was to have credit for preordering the PS3 and to get the original Xbox so I could get the Halo games and some others like the Dead or Alive games. But since getting the original Xbox would in the long run be a dead end, I decided to go for the gusto and traded off enough stuff to easily cover BOTH the 360 and the PS3. I should be able to enjoy not only most of the old Xbox classics I've wanted to play, but I can now look forward to being able to play Halo 3 next year and any cool stuff that appears on the 360 in the months and years ahead. :)

I still got 99 bucks left to go, I'll probably pay it off tomorrow seeing as I have no job, I got fired yesterday and tomorrow is my last day there. So if I don't find a job ^_^ midnight release with no regrets! If I have a job, my old man is gonna have to go to gamestop and pick up my 360 and the games I've got on order.....sucks for me huh?

Currently waiting for first price drop for both 360 and PS3. Unless some truly stellar game comes out soon. (And I don't play FPS as a rule) I got a PS2 launch day, but that was because I already had dozens of games for my PSX that I wanted to try. (Most importantly, my fave game Xenogears is one of the most-improved games of all when played on the PS2, graphically).

XBox, I waited a while (DOA3 and JSRF was among the few games I wanted) and of course, they included a Controller S and JSRF for the exact price I had paid for the system alone just a little while after I bought the system, Constroller S, JSRF and DOA3. Then the titles picked up a lot and I have bought more XB than PS2 titles in the past 2 years.

PS2 is my main system again lately though.

Common standard quote---it's the games, not the system. There's lots of neat games coming up for existing systems, but I see little I want for new ones. PSX is the best example--many of its best games came at the end, and the end was overall the best. (That is not redundant) I'm betting we'll see lots more "must have" XB and PS2 games in the next 18 months than must-have 360 and PS3 game.

All I want to know is, when is Halo 3 coming out?  I probably won't buy an X-Box 360 until Halo 3 is out...unless they release another Soul Calibur game for the 360 of course :)

342038[/snapback]

Ditto!

After looking at the current list of launch games, my son and I went to Gamestop and canceled our preorders. $700 (i was getting the $399 version, he was getting the $299 version) in one day is a bit much for no games that we'd want to play.

more than likely, we'll wait till next summer if/when Halo 3 comes out. The only game we play on Xbox now is Halo 2. I pop in MechAssault or DOA2 every now and then, but I prefer Mechwarrior on my PC and DOA2 on my PS2.

Right now, I'm playing RE4 on PS2 and my son is on punishment for getting a bad grade in Algebra, so no one is touching the Xboxes.

I'll get a PS3 and buy three on launch day just because I stood in line for the other playstations. Have to keep to tradition now... :lol:

Two weeks from tomorrow is the big day! :D

Right now I'm trying to decide what other game to get with my system: either Perfect Dark Zero, Quake 4, or Call of Duty 2. Got to have at least one FPS for my new system! So what way should I go?

Edited by Apollo Leader

the "regular" Xbox will contain 1 WIRED controler, NO 20 Gig hardrive and basic TV set up.

the "pimped" 399 includes 1 WIRELESS controler, the 20 Gig hardrive and set up for HDTV and basic TV.

The way Xbox puts it, if you buy the basic version, you gotta spend 20 bucks on a memory card, and 59.99 on the game, that's suppose to make you go "Well crap, I may as well just get the 399.99 and save myself the trouble of a memory card"

Hell if there is going to be a shortage on launch day (hopefully lasting until x-mas) the last thing you want to do is cancel your pre-order! :blink:

When the PS2 first came out just before x-mas years ago they had a huge shortage. Both my brother-in-law and myself got ahold of 2 PS2's each (he preordered his and I lucked out and caught a shipment just arriving at TOYS R US) and sold them on ebay for $700+. The only way my wife would let me keep one is if I sold the other and got enough to pay for the one I was keeping. :D

If it doesn't sell you can always return it later. :ph34r:

You can't find a better investment than a hot counsel just before x-mas! B))

A comparsion of the Xbox 360 launch to the Dreamcast launch.

http://1up.com/do/feature?cId=3145154&did=1

343091[/snapback]

And make sure to read the second page. :)

http://1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=1&cId=3145154

One of the criticisms about the 360 is that it isn't supporting the newer DVD standards off the bat.

Unlike the Dreamcast, the 360 is in a different position when it comes to the storage medium of its games. Regarding the Dreamcast, DVD had been out for about 2 years and they should have gone that route. With the 360, neither Blu Ray or HD-DVD have come out or has players capable of playing them have come out.

One of the things the PS2 had going for it that the PS3 will not is that it appeared at a much better time and it helped further promote a technology that had been around for a few years already (DVD)... not to mention that the abilities of the PS2 to play DVD movies and PS1 games helped to further sell it compared to the Dreamcast. In the PS3's case, instead of appearing a few years into the cycle of Blu Ray DVD's, this time, Sony's going to have to utilize the PS3 as a tool for pushing this new standard. If Blu Ray or HD-DVD had been out for a year or too already, I think this would be a much different story.

The PS3 will probably end up on top, but it's going to be a more uphill fight this time and Microsoft is going to take a bigger share of the gaming market this time around.

Sega was also already on shakey ground when the Dreamcast launched, and people felt it was too early for a stab at a new console generation. OF course, currently there's feelings that Microsoft is pushing the generation change too early, but that isn't as vocalized this time. Also, Microsoft, while maybe not doing too hot in the console wars, is not as a company suffering financially.

Also, Dreamcast took a big hit from Sony's PS2 pre-launch hype, much of wich turned out to be...less than truthful. Will Sony's hype be as successful this time?

Possibly, lots of people have very short memories.

Oh yeah. Looking through the distros at work, Kameo is the first one that will arrive at Gamestop.

One of the criticisms about the 360 is that it isn't supporting the newer DVD standards off the bat.

Unlike the Dreamcast, the 360 is in a different position when it comes to the storage medium of its games. Regarding the Dreamcast, DVD had been out for about 2 years and they should have gone that route. With the 360, neither Blu Ray or HD-DVD have come out or has players capable of playing them have come out.

One of the things the PS2 had going for it that the PS3 will not is that it appeared at a much better time and it helped further promote a technology that had been around for a few years already (DVD)... not to mention that the abilities of the PS2 to play DVD movies and PS1 games helped to further sell it compared to the Dreamcast. In the PS3's case, instead of appearing a few years into the cycle of Blu Ray DVD's, this time, Sony's going to have to utilize the PS3 as a tool for pushing this new standard. If Blu Ray or HD-DVD had been out for a year or too already, I think this would be a much different story.

Can you say "Disc Read Error"?

I'm sure I'll wind up with a PS3 at some point, but I'm approaching that one cautiously.

As can be expected, BOTH Halo and Halo 2 can be played right off the bat on the 360 without any downloaded patches... AND the games will run at a higher resolution, too! :)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6139560.html

And this sucks for me, but Dead or Alive 4 has been moved to December 1st. :(

And this sucks for me, but Dead or Alive 4 has been moved to December 1st. sad.gif

I hope DoA Ultimate runs on the Xbox 360, then. (Actually, I hope they all do.)

I'd be more dissapointed, but it's only what, two weeks? I have three other launch games to pick up, so that just gives me more time to save for that one. I still need about $160 to pay off my games, so even with a few more trade-ins, I was kinda hoping to grab one game early. One game late works okay for me, too.

And this sucks for me, but Dead or Alive 4 has been moved to December 1st. sad.gif

I hope DoA Ultimate runs on the Xbox 360, then. (Actually, I hope they all do.)

I'd be more dissapointed, but it's only what, two weeks? I have three other launch games to pick up, so that just gives me more time to save for that one. I still need about $160 to pay off my games, so even with a few more trade-ins, I was kinda hoping to grab one game early. One game late works okay for me, too.

344158[/snapback]

Besides the Halo triple pack, DOA Ultimate is the other Xbox game I've bought during the last two months in anticipation of getting the 360. Besides the $15 I spent on DOA Ultimate, everything else associated with my 360 purchase has been completely trade ins.

Since you work for Gamestop, you could probably answer this question for me. What online hookup options are available for the 360? I know there's that $100 wireless antenna which plugs into the back of the 360. Besides the wireless connection, does the 360 have a regular ethernet connection? I was at Best Buy a few days ago trying to figure out which router setup I should go for my PC and 360. I don't know if it was because I was talking about going the wireless route for the 360, but I was given the impression that I was going to have to have one of their guys come out and test the security of my network setup after I got my router.

(Just relized that an ethernet wire does come with the $399 system so I guess that answers my question. B)) Now I just got to decide which setup is best for me...)

Edited by Apollo Leader

Well, me personally, I figured that I was jut going to unplug the ethernet from the back of the Xbox, and jam it into the 360.

I wouldn't worry too hard about what kind of internet setup you need. I've not heard too many stories of wild disparity between cable or DSL, so go with what works best for you if you haven't gone broadband yet. I'm assuming that you have broadband already, and just need to pick up a router. Most wireless routers support dedicated wired ports, too. Should you go wireless, I believe the official 360 adaptor supports either B or G. Also, since it all works via USB, a less expensive wireless USB adaptor for a PC will work, too.

As far as security goes, you should be able to set up your own wireless security. Then it should be as simple as feeding the info into the 360.

The only snag is that some routers require you to change port settings on your PC to connect. It's not supposed to be too difficult, though.