Jump to content

1/55's revisited


Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I was getting really confused too but now I think my memory serves me right. They should come with a clear canopy and the black heat shield. You unscrew from the bottom and swap out for whichever look you want. I haven’t handled one with all the parts in like 35 years and I know you have very good info so that’s why I had to post about it to see if I was going crazy or had a case of imagination inserted as a real memory type thing. I’m pretty sure the ones I remember were Takatoku but now I’m reading that Bandai had releases in ‘84 that had the same feature so it’s possible they were those too. 

I think I need to see some pictures because when I look at Takatoku trays I don't see any extra heat shields or canopies in the Styrofoam. Bandai introduced the slide on heat shield after Takatoku went out of business and I could have sworn that was the first heat shield we got.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jenius said:

I think I need to see some pictures because when I look at Takatoku trays I don't see any extra heat shields or canopies in the Styrofoam. Bandai introduced the slide on heat shield after Takatoku went out of business and I could have sworn that was the first heat shield we got.

Extra heatsheilds are included with the VE-1, VT-1, and the atrocious 1990 VF-1S Super. Also the VF-1A Hi-Metal Hikaru.
 

VF-1S Strike came with a screw on replacement in black. At which, Bandai released the corrected color clip on shield at a later time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jenius said:

I think I need to see some pictures because when I look at Takatoku trays I don't see any extra heat shields or canopies in the Styrofoam. Bandai introduced the slide on heat shield after Takatoku went out of business and I could have sworn that was the first heat shield we got.

I’d like to see some detailed pics as well. I think it may have been a thing where the shield (or canopy) was packed in just a bag though but I don’t remember that part clearly. One thing that seems certain at this point is there was a screw on type heat shield/canopy according to this site, several other posters and my memory. As for details on which ones had what, I’m not clear on that either other than like I said, I remember them from 30+ years ago. I thought it was in the gift pack but i definitely could be wrong on that because I did mess with several releases and that part I could have easily mixed up.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Extra heatsheilds are included with the VE-1, VT-1, and the atrocious 1990 VF-1S Super. Also the VF-1A Hi-Metal Hikaru.
 

VF-1S Strike came with a screw on replacement in black. At which, Bandai released the corrected color clip on shield at a later time.

Yes, see, that's what I'm talking about, all of those releases are Bandai releases and have slide-on heat shields. 

So have we narrowed it down to there being ONE toy with a screw on heat shield, the Bandai Strike VF-1S Hikaru gift-set? I've never owned that one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jenius said:

Yes, see, that's what I'm talking about, all of those releases are Bandai releases and have slide-on heat shields. 

So have we narrowed it down to there being ONE toy with a screw on heat shield, the Bandai Strike VF-1S Hikaru gift-set? I've never owned that one.

I’m pretty sure the Roy 1S single pack also had it. Not sure about any others but still curious. If it was only a few releases, that would further explain the confusion and why there is so little info about it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Roy (actually Hikaru) 1S by Takatoku does not have a separate canopy, so while you may be able to remove the heat shield, you wouldn't have a clear canopy to replace it with.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jenius said:

The Roy (actually Hikaru) 1S by Takatoku does not have a separate canopy, so while you may be able to remove the heat shield, you wouldn't have a clear canopy to replace it with.

More confusion...lol! I hope someone with these original sets handy can give a definitive answer with visual examples. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

More confusion...lol! I hope someone with these original sets handy can give a definitive answer with visual examples. 

I just checked my box (phrasing) and no clear canopy. Is that because it doesn't come with one? Or it's missing. I'm betting on the former. The toy/box are REALLY mint/complete.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I just checked my box (phrasing) and no clear canopy. Is that because it doesn't come with one? Or it's missing. I'm betting on the former. The toy/box are REALLY mint/complete.

So that’s the single Takatoku VF-1S Roy/Hikaru (yellow stripe) release correct? Can you check any of your sets that has canopy and shield that uses the screw method?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sqidd said:

I just checked my box (phrasing) and no clear canopy. Is that because it doesn't come with one? Or it's missing. I'm betting on the former. The toy/box are REALLY mint/complete.

Takatoku did NOT provide a separate canopy for the gray 1S toy NOR did they include the black shield with the super gift set white 1S. If you owned both you could mix and match.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jenius said:

Takatoku did NOT provide a separate canopy for the gray 1S toy NOR did they include the black shield with the super gift set white 1S. If you owned both you could mix and match.

You are correct. 

Only Bandai provided the clip-on and interchangeable heatshields.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

So are we now saying there is no release that uses the screw method and has both clear and black shield?

LOL you guys are cracking me up.

Ok, I have/had a mint Bandai DYRL VF-1S Strike that was sealed. I opened it so the toy and packaging was preserved like 1985. I can confirm that this one comes with both a clear canopy (attached) and a black skull heat shield (in a baggy with missiles and little Minmei figure). The canopy and heat shield are indeed removed and installed through a screw that you access at the landing gear. There are instructions on how to do this that are included in the packaging and a separate small sheet from main instructions. At a later date, you could mail in for a red heat shield that clipped on over the canopy and was the exact same as the one included in a Hikaru DYRL VF-1A (which I also have). As @nightmareB4macrossnoted, both the VT-1 and VE-1 have clip-on heatshields that rest over the canopy.
 

And indeed, the Takatoku VF-1S Super did not come with any heat shield (and why I have mine displayed in fighter) but as @jenius mentioned, you could get a spare black heat shield from a Bandai VF-1S Strike and use the screw method.

The 2001 / 2008 Bandai reissues all have canopy and heat shields that are inserted as @treatment already shared.

IMG_0046.thumb.jpg.0e23c3032e280708174d4122e29fa41d.jpgIMG_0014.thumb.JPG.8eae017ba635df4222344aa2f3a608ae.JPGIMG_0055.thumb.jpg.007d2b3a51cb5a55c85c58539350ad61.jpgIMG_3222.thumb.jpg.e7e01238acbe94524c84a176db56fd9c.jpg

Edited by DYRL VF-1S
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jenius said:

Takatoku did NOT provide a separate canopy for the gray 1S toy NOR did they include the black shield with the super gift set white 1S. If you owned both you could mix and match.

Oh Bandai:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

So are we now saying there is no release that uses the screw method and has both clear and black shield?

Some many near phrasings.......

I have something that has screw on swappable clear and colored shields. I can't remember what though. Been slammed today. That earlier one I checked because the box was on top of a stack. I'll see if I can dig some stuff up later.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

LOL you guys are cracking me up.

Ok, I have/had a mint Bandai DYRL VF-1S Strike that was sealed. I opened it so the toy and packaging was preserved like 1985. I can confirm that this one comes with both a clear canopy (attached) and a black skull heat shield (in a baggy with missiles and little Minmei figure). The canopy and heat shield are indeed removed and installed through a screw that you access at the landing gear. There are instructions on how to do this that are included in the packaging and a separate small sheet from main instructions. At a later date, you could mail in for a red heat shield that clipped on and was the exact same as the one included in a Hikaru DYRL VF-1A (which I also have).
 

And indeed, the Takatoku VF-1S Super did not come with any heat shield (and why I have mine displayed in fighter) but as @jenius mentioned, you could get a spare black heat shield from a Bandai VF-1S Strike and use the screw method.

The 2001 / 2008 Bandai reissues all have clip-on canopy and heat shields.

 

The Strike Hikaru is the one I must have been thinking of that came with two screw on shields.:good:

As far as the reissues go I think we should differentiate between "clip on" and "clip in".

This is a clip on. Did anything actually come with these? I have one (on my Hikaru like you) but I bought it aftermarket. Note it doesn't sit flush:

IMG_0055.jpg

These are the "clip in" heat shields. They came with the re-issues.  Note they sit flush.

1750221264_re1.thumb.jpg.cd36f912a76e4733287921e15c1bb031.jpg

1716804142_re2.thumb.jpg.41d0fde18d254571c3a027558f2be88c.jpg

2032377668_re3.thumb.jpg.306bc5d1f8d5ab299b4ca6a4e3414698.jpg

 

Edited by sqidd
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

LOL you guys are cracking me up.

Ok, I have/had a mint Bandai DYRL VF-1S Strike that was sealed. I opened it so the toy and packaging was preserved like 1985. I can confirm that this one comes with both a clear canopy (attached) and a black skull heat shield (in a baggy with missiles and little Minmei figure). The canopy and heat shield are indeed removed and installed through a screw that you access at the landing gear. There are instructions on how to do this that are included in the packaging and a separate small sheet from main instructions. At a later date, you could mail in for a red heat shield that clipped on over the canopy and was the exact same as the one included in a Hikaru DYRL VF-1A (which I also have). As @nightmareB4macrossnoted, both the VT-1 and VE-1 have clip-on heatshields that rest over the canopy.
 

And indeed, the Takatoku VF-1S Super did not come with any heat shield (and why I have mine displayed in fighter) but as @jenius mentioned, you could get a spare black heat shield from a Bandai VF-1S Strike and use the screw method.

The 2001 / 2008 Bandai reissues all have canopy and heat shields that are inserted as @treatment already shared.

IMG_0046.thumb.jpg.0e23c3032e280708174d4122e29fa41d.jpgIMG_0014.thumb.JPG.8eae017ba635df4222344aa2f3a608ae.JPGIMG_0055.thumb.jpg.007d2b3a51cb5a55c85c58539350ad61.jpgIMG_3222.thumb.jpg.e7e01238acbe94524c84a176db56fd9c.jpg

Thanks! What you are describing is pretty much exactly how I remember except it it is the red stripe instead of the yellow stripe I thought it was. That explains a lot. 
 

Just to confirm, you are talking about this, correct? http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/_bandai_strike_vf1s.htm

My last request is if you or anyone can share pics of the instructions you mentioned and or detailed pics. At this point, it’s just to help me relive my memories, lol! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Strike Instructions.

1. 1 full two sided sheet with no description of the Jolly Roger heat-shield only a picture.

2. A separate small leaflet was included to show how to unscrew the heat helix and replace it with the Jolly Roger heat-shield.
 

IIRC there is no other release with this smaller sheet.

854AAA84-8A48-4EB3-8B7B-9442A6CDE5C8.jpeg

B8ADE620-F07A-4F2E-B585-934A0ECD6D08.jpeg

35352E49-3D95-4CA4-B66A-F7DB94A3880B.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Strike Instructions.

1. 1 full two sided sheet with no description of the Jolly Roger heat-shield only a picture.

2. A separate small leaflet was included to show how to unscrew the heat helix and replace it with the Jolly Roger heat-shield.
 

IIRC there is no other release with this smaller sheet.

854AAA84-8A48-4EB3-8B7B-9442A6CDE5C8.jpeg

B8ADE620-F07A-4F2E-B585-934A0ECD6D08.jpeg

35352E49-3D95-4CA4-B66A-F7DB94A3880B.jpeg

Thanks! That’s pretty much all the stuff I remember and it was also confirmed that the extra parts just came in a bag. Not bad that I remembered all that from so long ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Thanks! That’s pretty much all the stuff I remember and it was also confirmed that the extra parts just came in a bag. Not bad that I remembered all that from so long ago.

You’re welcome. It’s always good to rekindle on the past.

And just for kicks here is a picture of the VT-1 instruction sheet that calls out the use of the clip on heat-shield.  It’s the same for the VE-1 and 1990 VF-1S Super.

DDC1F2F7-55AD-4F35-BB92-B930C0155EF8.jpeg

6813F761-C94E-4542-AF64-1F2703510300.jpeg

D1EFFF4C-16BB-499D-99F8-7C55DA8C397B.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent! Thanks @nightmareB4macross and everyone else who contributed to this discussion in the last couple pages based on my questions about the heat shield. 

It’s definitely good times to be talking about the greatest toy of all time. I know the toy overall like the back of my hand but haven’t touched any of my own in decades. It’s time to remedy that situation soon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Slave IV said:

It’s definitely good times to be talking about the greatest toy of all time. I know the toy overall like the back of my hand but haven’t touched any of my own in decades. It’s time to remedy that situation soon. 

I agree with you 100%. Working on the Hikaru 1J custom, and lining up everything I'll need for the other 12, has rekindled my deep appreciation for the line and reminded me of how many others other there feel the same way. I collect all of the other lines, of course, but 1/55 is still my first love.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Ya think??!  :vava: Yes please

 

43 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

I agree with you 100%. Working on the Hikaru 1J custom, and lining up everything I'll need for the other 12, has rekindled my deep appreciation for the line and reminded me of how many others other there feel the same way. I collect all of the other lines, of course, but 1/55 is still my first love.

:spiteful:

Link to post
Share on other sites

And so...

9268369E-F540-45CD-9737-9C6956EF5ACA.thumb.jpeg.02cc0b8f3985ad0bc9b44c27ce675db8.jpeg
 

Instead of digging through my collection to find something, I found a decent deal and pulled the trigger for some instant gratification. I figure there is always room for more CFs right? Anyways, after I have some fun, I’ll post opened pictures of the well handled Valk. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

And so...

9268369E-F540-45CD-9737-9C6956EF5ACA.thumb.jpeg.02cc0b8f3985ad0bc9b44c27ce675db8.jpeg
 

Instead of digging through my collection to find something, I found a decent deal and pulled the trigger for some instant gratification. I figure there is always room for more CFs right? Anyways, after I have some fun, I’ll post opened pictures of the well handled Valk. 

:good:

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

And so...

9268369E-F540-45CD-9737-9C6956EF5ACA.thumb.jpeg.02cc0b8f3985ad0bc9b44c27ce675db8.jpeg
 

Instead of digging through my collection to find something, I found a decent deal and pulled the trigger for some instant gratification. I figure there is always room for more CFs right? Anyways, after I have some fun, I’ll post opened pictures of the well handled Valk. 

There's always room for more CFs! I have two set aside for my 1/55 custom project, along with five Hikaru 1As, four Hikaru 1Js (one already customized), and two beat-up Jetfires. At least one of each reissue is opened, so I'm happy to post pictures as well. I also have a Hikaru Super 1S reissue (yellow stripe) on display. I think the only real difference among the reissues is the Hikaru 1J vs. all of the others. It doesn't come with an easily swappable canopy and heatshield, which seems like the only real innovation of the reissue line. There are some small tweaks in certain places, but nothing really noticeable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish they would just jump start the line again. Do reissues again with full tampo this time. Make sure to reissue DYRL VF-1S Strike, VE-1 and VT-1. And then start filling in the gaps of SDFM and DYRL that weren't previously there. Hell, you could even design a stand this time. I would purchase soooo many.

You hear that Bandai??? Long live the Chunky Monkey!

Link to post
Share on other sites

So far, I'm in nostalgia overdrive and really enjoying it! I'm happy to find this is basically in new condition even though it was listed as used. I almost...almost considered not opening it because it was sealed so well and buying another, lol!

Only thing I will say is there are some parts that don't seem to fit as nicely or tightly as my originals from my memory. Mainly the chest piece in fighter/gerwalk mode and the feet are not as smooth or tight. Everything else is fantastic and some parts are tighter than I ever remembered. It is certainly a great feeling to handle a basically new CM again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

I wish they would just jump start the line again. Do reissues again with full tampo this time. Make sure to reissue DYRL VF-1S Strike, VE-1 and VT-1. And then start filling in the gaps of SDFM and DYRL that weren't previously there. Hell, you could even design a stand this time. I would purchase soooo many.

You hear that Bandai??? Long live the Chunky Monkey!

I bet that what they'd have to sell the figures for would make it a non-starter.

Production costs have gone up, I imagine the MSRP would be in the $125 range or more. No way they can sell that many (especially reprints!) when it's competing with HMR and almost with the DX line price-wise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I bet that what they'd have to sell the figures for would make it a non-starter.

Production costs have gone up, I imagine the MSRP would be in the $125 range or more. No way they can sell that many (especially reprints!) when it's competing with HMR and almost with the DX line price-wise.

*Sigh* A man can dream... LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

I wish they would just jump start the line again. Do reissues again with full tampo this time. Make sure to reissue DYRL VF-1S Strike, VE-1 and VT-1. And then start filling in the gaps of SDFM and DYRL that weren't previously there. Hell, you could even design a stand this time. I would purchase soooo many.

You hear that Bandai??? Long live the Chunky Monkey!

While they're at it, they should reissue the Macross as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

While they're at it, they should reissue the Macross as well.

Yes, a TV SDF-1 would be awesome

 Though I would quite like a DX version of that too

Edited by DYRL VF-1S
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...