1/55's revisited

kanata67

On 12/20/2019 at 3:03 PM, kanata67 said:

wow nightmare@_@
A few I have never seen b4!!!

Welcome back!

Been a long time since I have seen you around. Hope life has been good since your hiatus.

Are you still collecting and customizing Jetfires?

Edited by nightmareB4macross

• 2 weeks later...

That's a lot of cool modifications. I wonder if it's still transformable.

Anyways, I found more variant of the 1/55: https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1115810461&ref=list&keyword=マクロス 1%2F55&lang=en

Edited by Major Tom

19 hours ago, peter said:

44486195_10216949856402382_2740953643321655296_o.thumb.jpg.ffe48821864e3e801e2d491fc3d171b2.jpgwho's chunky is this?

I can see several of the choice modifications on that inc  the pen lid mod on the legs., developed here on this site, some ten years ago OMG!!

Makes me want to get my mods out of storage and continue with them.

Now that my little one is showing  a distinct interest in cars planes and Robots, it could be time for some of my stored up Ko Bootlegs ( the cheap £5 ones ) to make an appearance.

Still Want/Need to know who's this is.

Edited by big F

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Are the carded KOs still being produced, the only ones I have seen recently are being sold by collectors or shady retailers who wanted £70 for them.  I am not paying that for polystyrene crap that was sold for £5 in all the Asian Tat shops.

especially when they are for my little boy who will undoubtable burry them in his sand pit or just generally abuse them.

6 minutes ago, DewPoint said:

Holy crap!  I just googled Space Gan Dam and it turned up "Space Gundam V" as a real show that aired in South Korea.  I'm not sure if I want to hunt this down.  :shok:

You should. Space GanDam V is a sight to behold.

I have a few customs planned from this series. I just get a kick out of the fact that it exists.

20 hours ago, big F said:

Are the carded KOs still being produced, the only ones I have seen recently are being sold by collectors or shady retailers who wanted £70 for them.  I am not paying that for polystyrene crap that was sold for £5 in all the Asian Tat shops.

especially when they are for my little boy who will undoubtable burry them in his sand pit or just generally abuse them.

I've seen minty KO's still on their cards sell for a lot more than that lately. There is demand for the KO junk.

Honestly, they are a great history of Macross and to some extent represent how popular the VF-1J came to be worldwide.

I am sure for a large group of Macross or Rowbowtek fans this is how they started playing or collecting their beloved Valkyrie.

I know I’m one of those kids. And still collect them to this day. 

96410564-2FF6-4569-9FAD-C0345828D483.jpeg

So, I was reading the anymoon reviews of the 1/55 recently and found something inconsistent with what I remember. 

@jenius mentioned that Heat Shields weren’t included until the Bandai reissues. I very clearly remember a heat shield with the VF-1S w/Super Parts gift pack long before Bandai was in the mix. I also remember it was not a clip on type but it had to be installed by unscrewing the clear canopy from inside the front landing gear bay and swapping the parts out. Was this a “memory” installed by my imagination or was there something like what I am talking about with any 1/55 VF-1 release?

50 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

So, I was reading the anymoon reviews of the 1/55 recently and found something inconsistent with what I remember. 

@jenius mentioned that Heat Shields weren’t included until the Bandai reissues. I very clearly remember a heat shield with the VF-1S w/Super Parts gift pack long before Bandai was in the mix. I also remember it was not a clip on type but it had to be installed by unscrewing the clear canopy from inside the front landing gear bay and swapping the parts out. Was this a “memory” installed by my imagination or was there something like what I am talking about with any 1/55 VF-1 release?

I'm not looking at the article right now but it sounds like I probably screwed something up. The heat shield was available on the VE-1, VT-1, probably the VF-1A DYRL Hikaru also, and definitely the 'updated' VF-1S TV Super Hikaru that came later... all as slide on parts. I don't know about about a screw on part though. Then the 2002 reissues included a swap-in clip-on heat shield after the VF-1J Hikaru. 

Edited by jenius

I just looked at my stuff:

-Takatoku VF-1S "Focker" has a screw in heat shield. This is not from one of the gift sets.

-Bandai VF-1S Strike Hikaru has a black screw in heat shield. I have a red clip in heat shield over that.

-Bandai VF-1S Super Roy 2001 re-issue (very white) has a black screw in heat shield.

-Bandai VF-1S Roy 2001 re-issue (gray) has a black screw in heat shield.

-VF-1A Super Hikaru 2001 re-issue has a red screw in heat shield.

-VF-1A Super Max 2001 re-issue has a blue screw in heat shield.

6 hours ago, jenius said:

I'm not looking at the article right now but it sounds like I probably screwed something up. The heat shield was available on the VE-1, VT-1, probably the VF-1A DYRL Hikaru also, and definitely the 'updated' VF-1S TV Super Hikaru that came later... all as slide on parts. I don't know about about a screw on part though. Then the 2002 reissues included a swap-in clip-on heat shield after the VF-1J Hikaru. 

Actually, I think you did mention the part about the few you mentioned above having heat shields but the sliding version as you say. Thanks for clarifying!

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

I just looked at my stuff:

-Takatoku VF-1S "Focker" has a screw in heat shield. This is not from one of the gift sets.

-Bandai VF-1S Strike Hikaru has a black screw in heat shield. I have a red clip in heat shield over that.

-Bandai VF-1S Super Roy 2001 re-issue (very white) has a black screw in heat shield.

-Bandai VF-1S Roy 2001 re-issue (gray) has a black screw in heat shield.

-VF-1A Super Hikaru 2001 re-issue has a red screw in heat shield.

-VF-1A Super Max 2001 re-issue has a blue screw in heat shield.

Ok thanks! Sounds like I’m not crazy! Odd that I haven’t seen mention of the screw in heat shield when it seems like it was actually very common according to @sqidd (and my memory). 

Edit: just found a picture online that clearly shows the heat shield as a swap on part, not clip on. 

6CECCD55-2406-4674-A1C8-E486861C7E64.thumb.png.c8f02304ecf017b33d36bad9c1383bac.png

Edited by Slave IV

Screws?

My 200( was it an 00 or an 01 release?) reissues do not have any "screw" on the heatshield.

Just all tabs.

edit: found this ancient pic:

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/reminator2/HTML/robotech/supervf1s.htm

supervalkyrierob3.thumb.jpg.d54ce8cb09e4b5ddf317bced89fbd946.jpg

from CDX's review of Origins 1A (2008)..

https://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/2008/origin_valkyrie_vf1a_super_valkyrie_hikaru_ichijyo_ver

859795409_OriginofValkyrieVF-1AValkyrieIchijyover_-canopyandshieldcomparrison.thumb.JPG.14a042bf40574dc753c9c705fdf66f37.JPG

385788579_OriginofValkyrieVF-1AValkyrieIchijyover_-FighterMode_cockpitdetail_opened_.thumb.JPG.b7e8e9f016149fa3a4084109896e724b.JPG

other variants of the Origins line (2008)

https://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/2008/origin_valkyrie_vf1a_super_valkyrie_maximilian_jenius_ver

https://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/2008/vf1j_valkyrie_origin_valkyrie_hikaru_ichijyo_ver

http://www.collectiondx.com/node/3588

Same stuff as the previous reissue.

edit2:

Here's the cockpit and heatshield of the 1990 Super-1S from CDX:

https://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/1990/vf1s_super_valkyrie_roy_focker_special

66106632_VF-1SValkyrie-FighterMode_canopyshieldaccessoryclip_.thumb.JPG.bf6675429358ca7b972cc2181b6da7ff.JPG

1214741129_VF-1SValkyrie-FighterMode_cockpitdetail_.thumb.JPG.7d6c00615b1955efab7a77ec68c134cc.JPG

Edited by treatment

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Hmmmm... @sqidd can you show what you mean by screw in heat shield/canopies when you have a chance? I am now entertaining the idea that the screw is not required but from the picture above, you can see a round area towards the back of the clear canopy that could be the the “screw hole” that I’m thinking of.

I thin I screwed that up (pun intended). I forgot there was a third option. All of my canopies are flush mount (not a clip in shield). Of those which ones are screw mount I'm not sure.

IMO if it's flush mount who cares what style it is? I'm about the aesthetics. If for some reason you want to know which generations are which I can probably check them out tonight.

2 hours ago, jenius said:

So the gray 1S from Takatoku has a normal canopy under the heat shield? Huh.

I really thought the 2001 reissues did not require screwing, just pinching a tab at the top... But I haven't handled those in a long time.

I may have screwed that all up.......................:unknw:

1 minute ago, sqidd said:

I thin I screwed that up (pun intended). I forgot there was a third option. All of my canopies are flush mount (not a clip in shield). Of those which ones are screw mount I'm not sure.

IMO if it's flush mount who cares what style it is? I'm about the aesthetics. If for some reason you want to know which generations are which I can probably check them out tonight.

It’s not so much I care which is which, it’s just me trying to get my memory straight. I distinctly remember something that appeared to be a screw in heat shield on some of the Takatoku releases and just want to confirm if that was or not the case. 

17 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

It’s not so much I care which is which, it’s just me trying to get my memory straight. I distinctly remember something that appeared to be a screw in heat shield on some of the Takatoku releases and just want to confirm if that was or not the case. 

Yes, some of them absolutely screw in. Now I want to know which ones!

I have been thinking of doing a Chunky Monkey information site......in my spare time.:lol:

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

Yes, some of them absolutely screw in. Now I want to know which ones!

I have been thinking of doing a Chunky Monkey information site......in my spare time.:lol:

Alright cool thanks @sqidd  for anything you come up with. Mainly for my own sanity. I have no way of digging out or trying to find any examples I may have in storage and the ones I remember were my friend’s from when we were kids.

2001 reissues and Origin pf Valkyrie versiona do not need to have the screw removed. These are replacement parts that swap the heatshield for the canopy.

Only the original TT and Bandai versions from 1990 and before have to be removed via the screw that is set to the landing gear spring. But there were also issues from the original Bandai  VF-1S Strike.VE-1 Still had a replacement heatshield via tha acre once again, but a separate heatshield could be obtained in red which would clip over the canopy. Elintseeker, and VT-1 Superostrich, and VF-1A Hikaru also had a clip on heatlshield. 

Check the main page for Macrossworld and you can read their history.

4 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

2001 reissues and Origin pf Valkyrie versiona do not need to have the screw removed. These are replacement parts that swap the heatshield for the canopy.

Only the original TT and Bandai versions from 1990 and before have to be removed via the screw that is set to the landing gear spring. But there were also issues from the original Bandai  VF-1S Strike.VE-1 Still had a replacement heatshield via tha acre once again, but a separate heatshield could be obtained in red which would clip over the canopy. Elintseeker, and VT-1 Superostrich, and VF-1A Hikaru also had a clip on heatlshield. 

Check the main page for Macrossworld and you can read their history.

Thanks again for the confirmation. Again, crazy how there is a lot of different and contradictory info around but I get it was a long time ago with likely some inconsistencies with releases. I saw the link you provided and went to the main page but don't see anywhere to read the history, just some pics. I can be an idiot so if you can link directly to the article, that would be great. Thanks! 

Edit: I was looking at the Takatoku section and there are only pics with no details. I did just see under the Bandai section it describes one of them has screw in replacement heat shield. If there are more details I can read about somewhere, would still love the links. Thanks. 

Edited by Slave IV

I'm more confused than ever....

Only the original TT and Bandai versions from 1990 and before have to be removed via the screw that is set to the landing gear spring. 

The Takatoku 1/55 toys, mostly, don't have any heat shield at all right? The only one that has a heat shield is the gray Focker release that I can recall (also included in a GBP gift-set). Can you remove that heat shield? If you can, wouldn't you find there is no canopy beneath it? Hard to imagine there's a peg that runs through the canopy to the landing gear bay unless there was a swap out canopy part. I sold all my Takatoku chunkies ages ago and held on to the reissues.

Are you talking about the super valk VF-1S giftset from Takatoku? It doesn't have a heat shield. It only has the clear canopy. I'm thinking if you found one with a heat shield, it may have been a frankensteined giftset. The 1/55 valk only release has that heat shield.

Edited by crackpot

8 minutes ago, jenius said:

I'm more confused than ever....

The Takatoku 1/55 toys, mostly, don't have any heat shield at all right? The only one that has a heat shield is the gray Focker release that I can recall (also included in a GBP gift-set). Can you remove that heat shield? If you can, wouldn't you find there is no canopy beneath it? Hard to imagine there's a peg that runs through the canopy to the landing gear bay unless there was a swap out canopy part. I sold all my Takatoku chunkies ages ago and held on to the reissues.

I was getting really confused too but now I think my memory serves me right. They should come with a clear canopy and the black heat shield. You unscrew from the bottom and swap out for whichever look you want. I haven’t handled one with all the parts in like 35 years and I know you have very good info so that’s why I had to post about it to see if I was going crazy or had a case of imagination inserted as a real memory type thing. I’m pretty sure the ones I remember were Takatoku but now I’m reading that Bandai had releases in ‘84 that had the same feature so it’s possible they were those too.