1/55's revisited

kanata67

37 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Break out your 1/60 Yamato VF-4 for the kids to play with...it does a fantastic Tank mode :)

image.png.eb24cd2fee5808f7e4ae6d8972c2e37b.png

Haha sweet! I'm not sure where my VF-4s are buried at the moment but will keep in mind when I uncover them! I do have some HMR around so I bet it works with those too!

On 1/16/2024 at 11:35 AM, Shawn said:

I often feel the 'loose' toys carry more fun value than the boxed ones.

With the loose ones you can transform and display them and you never feel guilty about re-opening the box or keeping it out of the sun because you don't want to lose resale value on a $600 Sealed Strike valk.

I was always wondered why on the Yahoo Japan auctions, a loose valk always seemed to get more action than a sealed one, and I think it is because of the guiltless feeling. I know that runs through my head all the time as these things are expensive.

I think the opportunity to spread this much 1/55 fun to a bunch of casual fans seems like a win for everyone  :)

I completely agree and that maybe why they sell so well. I've found myself buying more used lately for value and not feeling guilty myself for throwing the box away. 

20 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

I am all in agreement with your statement.

But as of recent, there have been quite few resellers just whitening and reselling them without notifying buyers of how they have altered them and have attempted to sell them as mint.

Would be nice if people were more honest about these practices.

Personally, it’s not my place to say what people do with their own toys.

After all  it is yours enjoy it as you wish.

I've had sellers on Ebay send me Jetfires they soaked in bleach while using a toilet bowl scrubber to clean off the yellow. I was so upset I put a few heavy bricks in the return box to make sure the return shipping cost would sting! ( I know that was mean I did kinda feel bad afterwards:))

Yeah I agree to your money, your choice about toys you play with.

Edited by Spark-O-Matic

This is actually my favorite Jetfire. had it not yellowed, It would be desirable. but its looked down at like its got a disease. to me its just patina. some woman's husband died and after spending near 4 decades being displayed in the kitchen hutch she sold it to me for $300 on Ebay. 

IMG20240117103554.jpg

IMG20240117103251.jpg

I got a VF-1S Strike off Ebay a couple years ago & looking through the past pages, I'm not quite sure which variant I have. It has Bandai markings....image.jpeg.4d4e37b2b8d3efa16e49dc13832623c2.jpeg

with smooth head lasers and a visor sticker that has a more of a blue than I have seen on other Strikes.
image.jpeg.86c20eeb8f4a9fb9350f0b55b5852f8d.jpeg

I don't think it was a repainted Strike (even though it was touched up by the previous owner) as there doesn't appear to be any yellow underneath the red paint where it's scratched.

• 2 weeks later...

Ultra Rare one of none 1/55 Robotech Valk . I kinda like the stickers on the tailfins. now this seller has sold at last count around 50 old knockoffs in the last year but none where the same . I suspect someone kit the jackpot on an old storage locker.

I love how the instructions show the arm boosters but none are in the package, always a sign of the highest quality :lol:

Screenshot 2024-01-30 154909.png

Screenshot 2024-01-30 154928.png

Screenshot 2024-01-30 154947.png

Screenshot 2024-01-30 155019.png

Screenshot 2024-01-30 155045.png

Was there ever an official or best reason given by Bandai why it never released a 1/55 VF-1J Armored Valkyrie.

I know from what I could piece together they offered it to Hasbro for an updated Jetfire for 87. was something going on or reason after they got the molds from Takatoku they just ignored it for the 1985 release? I noticed the 1990, 2002 and 2008 it was still absent from re-releases lineup too.

2 hours ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

Was there ever an official or best reason given by Bandai why it never released a 1/55 VF-1J Armored Valkyrie.

I know from what I could piece together they offered it to Hasbro for an updated Jetfire for 87. was something going on or reason after they got the molds from Takatoku they just ignored it for the 1985 release? I noticed the 1990, 2002 and 2008 it was still absent from re-releases lineup too.

I believe there are stories of the molds not surviving or that they had deteriorated quickly and could not be used any further.

7 hours ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

Ultra Rare one of none 1/55 Robotech Valk . I kinda like the stickers on the tailfins. now this seller has sold at last count around 50 old knockoffs in the last year but none where the same . I suspect someone kit the jackpot on an old storage locker.

I love how the instructions show the arm boosters but none are in the package, always a sign of the highest quality :lol:

Screenshot 2024-01-30 154909.png

Screenshot 2024-01-30 154928.png

Screenshot 2024-01-30 154947.png

Screenshot 2024-01-30 155019.png

Screenshot 2024-01-30 155045.png

There's no die-cast in that, so I was gonna say KO, but it says Macross, so counterfeit?

4 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

I believe there are stories of the molds not surviving or that they had deteriorated quickly and could not be used any further.

Well that might be as at that time CNC machines were cutting edge and mostly used for military use so everything was tooled by hand.  that would explain why the Jetfire mold received some minor added details but no revisions or reductions in the mold. was all hand made molds.  but who knows right, but what you said makes the most sense. surprised over the years no one who worked in that era, at Bandai wrote a book,  it would have been an interesting read .

On 1/30/2024 at 5:45 PM, nightmareB4macross said:

I remember this coming up in conversation more than two years ago. Found the relevant posts.

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

May be worthwhile to repost these article links in case some have never read them....

Part 1: https://english.tamashiiweb.com/t_kokkaku/65/?wovn=en

Part 2: https://english.tamashiiweb.com/t_kokkaku/64/?wovn=en

Great idea. I posted this on page 1 of this thread.

Stupid question-is it just a camera/photographic illusion or are the lower landing gears doors different on the VF-1J?
Some look rectangular (L) whilst others round (R)...at least in the crappy photos

image.png.36ed903c3bf504c007d497b0bac75629.png

On 2/6/2024 at 12:01 AM, Shawn said:

Stupid question-is it just a camera/photographic illusion or are the lower landing gears doors different on the VF-1J?
Some look rectangular (L) whilst others round (R)...at least in the crappy photos

It appears so. 

There so many slight changes from the TT to Bandai to Hasbro mold. For instance some TT backplates will not align correctly as a replacement for Bandai Jetfire. The dimensions are not exactly the same and refuse to nest properly. Same for many parts throughout.

Edited by nightmareB4macross

2 hours ago, Shawn said:

32 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

It appears so. 

There so many slight changes from the TT to Bandai to Hasbro mold. For instance some TT backplates will not align correctly as a replacement for Bandai Jetfire. The dimensions are not exactly the same man’s refuse to nest properly. Same for many parts throughout.

I've run into that when conducting repairs on mine (G1 Jetfire). Also, the super armors can be different, with one set not fitting another and even causing breakage if you're not careful.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rider Faiz said:

Anyone that has the GPB-1S Armor set, can I get a clear picture of the sticker placement guide on the box?
All the pictures I'm finding online of that part of the box aren't the greatest.

I am sure several collectors here can provide you with the pic you need....but if no one has replied by the time I get home from work, I'll take a pic and send it to you....

In the meantime, enjoy one of the greatest Macross merch commercials ever made!...

gallery_12176_640_250161.jpg

Edited by jvmacross

On 2/21/2024 at 12:30 PM, jvmacross said:

I am sure several collectors here can provide you with the pic you need....but if no one has replied by the time I get home from work, I'll take a pic and send it to you....

In the meantime, enjoy one of the greatest Macross merch commercials ever made!...

gallery_12176_640_250161.jpg

Holy crap you're right!!! That commercial is rad & how have I never seen it before!?!
Also that poster is DOPE!!!

Edited by Rider Faiz

3 hours ago, Rider Faiz said:

Holy crap you're right!!! That commercial is rad & how have I never seen it before!?!
Also that poster is DOPE!!!

Have you seen the other vintage Macross toy commercials?

If not...

Oh...and more vintage Takatoku Macross promo posters here...

https://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/46734-takatoku-toys-and-bandai-macross-promotional-materialsnow-with-more-arcadia/#comments

• 4 weeks later...

A while back an eBay seller had this new box on auction with BIN.

image.png.6bd938eae3c6a83396f00331fc5389b1.png

The listing stated OVERSIZED and I got a bit excited. So I reached out to the seller to confirm. Lo and behold it was just the regular 1/55 GS-11. Nothing special.

Bummer. I was really hoping it was oversized.

4 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

A while back an eBay seller had this new box on auction with BIN.

image.png.6bd938eae3c6a83396f00331fc5389b1.png

The listing stated OVERSIZED and I got a bit excited. So I reached out to the seller to confirm. Lo and behold it was just the regular 1/55 GS-11. Nothing special.

Bummer. I was really hoping it was oversized.

I’ve got half a mind to buy one just to figure out how close the dimensions are to the original.  But I haven’t pulled the trigger because of how disappointed I was back in ‘98 when I bought a Joon’s.  

On 3/24/2024 at 11:00 AM, CollectorCanine said:

Very silly-looking bootlegs.

Same here, that's the reason I've not bought one, but they do make good use for customs.. like this one I bought.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

11 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Interesting custom.

30 minutes ago, jenius said:

That's cool!

G1-style Jetfire in cartoon Skyfire colors. it really stands out next to the original if you want one you can get it here. he is not charging much compared to added the time, parts and efforts. I think its a labor of love.

I've bought a couple kits from him including the Fans Toy conversion kit.  

2 minutes ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

G1-style Jetfire in cartoon Skyfire colors. it really stands out next to the original if you want one you can get it here. he is not charging much compared to added the time, parts and efforts. I think its a labor of love.

I've bought a couple kits from him including the Fans Toy conversion kit.  

IMG20240327214449[1].jpg