Macross TV Dub

Pat Payne

I just finished the third disc.

The va cast gets better, or I'm becoming more comfortable with the changed voices, or, more likely, a little bit of both. Hikaru's voice sounds less whiney and a little more confident to me now. I don't know if that was intended or not to go along with the storyline, probably not, but I like that it is. I like that Minmei's songs are in Japanese which again, most likely an unintended consequence, helps explain the character's accent.

On to the fourth disc.....

Finally decided to buy this new dub. I watched the first 3 episodes and so far, it's not as hard as I thought to accustom myself to the new VA. I really like the new footage that I never saw before since I only knew the Robotech version of the original series.

EDIT : Spelling.

Edited by Lonewolf

• 1 year later...

Ok, thought so.

Funny thing is, I bought the first disc when it came out with the box for the set and never watched it for God knows what reason.

I had no idea whatsoever that is had an english dub on it and came across it on demonoid and was like "wtf, there's no english version of "Macross".

How noob is that? Haha

Thanks.

I was kind of wondering if there was a legitimate thinpak of the dub... I had to break down and buy the entire set of the 'McCross' dub if just for the fact it's Iijima Mari. No real intention of ever watching it all the way through tho but who knows.

Ok, thought so.

Funny thing is, I bought the first disc when it came out with the box for the set and never watched it for God knows what reason.

I had no idea whatsoever that is had an english dub on it and came across it on demonoid and was like "wtf, there's no english version of "Macross".

How noob is that? Haha

Thanks.

ha ha no worries, same thing happened to me, I bought the Animeigo ver but kept it aside for some time. But once I started to watch it I was hooked again and kept on going ! Ah sure brings back memories :lol: viva Macross !

I was kind of wondering if there was a legitimate thinpak of the dub... I had to break down and buy the entire set of the 'McCross' dub if just for the fact it's Iijima Mari. No real intention of ever watching it all the way through tho but who knows.

No, no thin packs announced, might never will be. Old school anime doesn't sell well compared to the new age crap out there.

Anyone want to throw a few clips on youtube so I can see how this looks and sounds?

I was wary of this from the beginning, voice acting just isn't very good quailty, it seems like it always draws on the very small talent pool here in North America. Contrast with the 80s where there was an explosion of animation and cartoons and you had some seriously good actors with a lot of work available.

Anyone want to throw a few clips on youtube so I can see how this looks and sounds?

I was wary of this from the beginning, voice acting just isn't very good quailty, it seems like it always draws on the very small talent pool here in North America. Contrast with the 80s where there was an explosion of animation and cartoons and you had some seriously good actors with a lot of work available.

Found this in you tube, don't worry the video quality is better than the youtube's

That thing cracks me up every time. "The McRoss!! The McROSS!!!" And everyone is always livid with anger. In that clip, when Claudia says "That reckless KID?!!" she's pretty much angry that some chump took Roy's place. I'm glad that there are subs there, because then you can see that the line is really meant to be "that boy, huh..", said in a kind of melancholic fashion. I watched the Japanese version again just recently and that's how she says it. And in the Robotech version she says "Well, Roy would've liked that", which pretty much says out loud the emotion behind the original line.

I hate to say it, but in terms of acting, RT was better. In terms of script, though, they're both bad but in different ways.

I saw the final episode of the ADV dub last week (not seen them all though) and I was appalled. It's just random shouting and cursing! "Farewell to tenderness" indeed, I think they took it too literally!

Hikaru: "Misa, you're alive!"

Misa "GET YOUR ASSES THE HELL OUTTA THERE!!!!"

Whoa. :blink:

Edit -- to answer fifbeat's question: it's the ADV one.

Edited by Renato

ARRGH why must english dubs of anime always have people going: "ahh! oooh! oh! huh! ehhhh! uhh! sigh!" when they show a clip with people with mouths open.

Is it all done with same stupid director who doesn't understand the concept of your jaw going slack or opening your mouth and not uttering a sound? Also, why must characters be panting like they just ran a marathon when they are jogging 10 feet to their Valkryie?

Edit -- to answer fifbeat's question: it's the ADV one.

Okay, so this is the one where Ijma maria whatever her face (the girl who did the voice/sung) redubbed in english??

Hmmm.... I'm so confused with all these damn releases.

Okay, so this is the one where Ijma maria whatever her face (the girl who did the voice/sung) redubbed in english??

:o:o :o

...I'm not even gonna touch that...

(But yes, that's the dub they're talking about.)

(And it really isn't so confusing...there are two versions: Animeigo (subbed only) and ADV (sub+dub). Any questions...?)

Yes in the ADV production Mari Ijima was asked to repraise her role as Lynn Minmay.

ARRGH why must english dubs of anime always have people going: "ahh! oooh! oh! huh! ehhhh! uhh! sigh!" when they show a clip with people with mouths open.

Is it all done with same stupid director who doesn't understand the concept of your jaw going slack or opening your mouth and not uttering a sound? Also, why must characters be panting like they just ran a marathon when they are jogging 10 feet to their Valkryie?

It's almost S.O.P. in dubbing now, it gives the episode a more of a dramatic or human tone which to me sometimes is a pain in the ass. This was really infamous when FUNImation did it for Dragonball Z with lots of sighs, groans, grunts, and they might not even actually be there in the Japanese tracks, it's just for the drama touch.

But god all things aside that made me so freaking cringe. Again, matt greenfield is my mortal enemy when it comes to ADR Directing.

It's also times like these when I wonder why I don't have a job in one of those companies when I can put out a better FAN dub then these jokers can with an official release.

I'll just make one post in this thread and it is.... WHO CARES. We have Robotech already and dubbing this series is sorta pointless. Yes, it would be the REAL story dubbed (as opposed to Robotech's made up one) but still, fans of Macross have seen it subbed and don't need a dub. What's the point? :p

I'll just make one post in this thread and it is.... WHO CARES. We have Robotech already and dubbing this series is sorta pointless. Yes, it would be the REAL story dubbed (as opposed to Robotech's made up one) but still, fans of Macross have seen it subbed and don't need a dub. What's the point? :p

What's the point...? C'mon, where else can you find Roy calling Hikaru a "Pudknocker"? :rolleyes:

:o:o :o

...I'm not even gonna touch that...

(But yes, that's the dub they're talking about.)

(And it really isn't so confusing...there are two versions: Animeigo (subbed only) and ADV (sub+dub). Any questions...?)

lol, what do you mean, you're not even gonna touch that? =)

Okay, so, let me get to that bottom of this!!!

ROBOTECH Legacy Collection: Yeah, I understand that people don't like "Robotech." That's fine. I don't care. I wouldn't be here right now if it weren't for Robotech. This version... just your standard, non-remastered, untouched series that ran in the 80's right?

ROBOTECH Protoculture Collection: Same as the above, but remastered, woth some new scenes thrown in (new scenes from the Jap version, that is).

MACROSS English Dub Volume 1 with Collectors Box:

(http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=243)

Contains the original Japanese dialogue, english subtitles, and NEW english dub and is remastered? Now, is this the SAME remaster as the above one? (Protoculture?) AND, where is volume 2???

MACROSS - The Complete Remastered Series DVD Set:

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=93

This is where I get confused. What's the difference between this and the one above? And, why doesn't this one have an english dub of any sort? As the above, this one ALSO states to be uncut and unedited? argh!

MACROSS DVD Mini Box Set #1-#3:

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=94

Now this, I undertand. This is strictly the uncut animego version. However, how does the picture quality differ from the two two above series; and how much more faithful are the subtitles compared to the above?

I need someone to go through ALL my questions and answer me. Please. I'll give you a massage. I'll give you money. I'll buy you a pizza, I'll die for you, (okay, I won't really do any of these things, but please, understand my desperation).... thanks in advance.

I've never seen so much B.S. released for one series.

lol, what do you mean, you're not even gonna touch that? =)

Still not touching that one. ^_^

Okay, so, let me get to that bottom of this!!!

Yes, let's.

ROBOTECH Legacy Collection: Yeah, I understand that people don't like "Robotech." That's fine. I don't care. I wouldn't be here right now if it weren't for Robotech. This version... just your standard, non-remastered, untouched series that ran in the 80's right?

Correct.

ROBOTECH Protoculture Collection: Same as the above, but remastered, woth some new scenes thrown in (new scenes from the Jap version, that is).

Haven't seen it, but judging from what everyone else said, the footage is fuller, but still not completely uncut.

MACROSS - The Complete Remastered Series DVD Set:

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=93

This is where I get confused. What's the difference between this and the one above? And, why doesn't this one have an english dub of any sort? As the above, this one ALSO states to be uncut and unedited? argh!

MACROSS DVD Mini Box Set #1-#3:

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=94

Now this, I undertand. This is strictly the uncut animego version. However, how does the picture quality differ from the two two above series; and how much more faithful are the subtitles compared to the above?

These are both the Animeigo version (no English dub), which came out in four distinct versions:

1) The early-bird pre-order box (All nine DVDs together in a box)

2) Mini Boxes (Three box sets of three DVDs each)

3) Individual DVDs

4) Robotech.com Box Set (all nine DVDs magically back together again)

MACROSS English Dub Volume 1 with Collectors Box:

(http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=243)

Contains the original Japanese dialogue, english subtitles, and NEW english dub and is remastered? Now, is this the SAME remaster as the above one? (Protoculture?) AND, where is volume 2???

The ADV version. Same visual remaster, different audio. And Volumes 2~7 have indeed been released, finishing the series.

I need someone to go through ALL my questions and answer me. Please. I'll give you a massage. I'll give you money. I'll buy you a pizza, I'll die for you, (okay, I won't really do any of these things, but please, understand my desperation).... thanks in advance.

I don't need any of that...just promise to learn to how to write Mari Iijima's name. ;)

I've never seen so much B.S. released for one series.

Blame it on Robotech...that's what muddles all of it up.

Edited by Gubaba

The "FANS" are not gonna be around forever, I was hoping this dub would introduce new audiences. "Won't someone please think of the children?!"

But when you have lines like "Minmay? That little bitch?!?" uttered by Claudia, who ought to be the most mature of the cast, it's just a wasted opportunity. I don't have kids yet but I would want them to enjoy the show without having to explain to them all the Robo stuff. I already am going through that with my 8-year-old brother.

So I take it you're not a fan of the R.D.F.? (Robotech Defense Force)

I have a certain amount of respect for Carl Macek, a cordial dislike of Robotech, a modicum of pity mixed with disdain for hardcore Robotech fanboys, and a loathing bordering on revulsion for Harmony Gold.

So, yeah..."not a fan" would cover it. ^_^

Hey dudes,

The American Anime DVD industry is dying/shrinking, we should be supporting the industry by buying originals. Granted, the dubs in the Macross series is not fantastic, but it is not bad either. If we want to see titles like Macross Frontier or Macross Zero coming to the States, we should buy originals to encourage them to bring them here.

Hey dudes,

The American Anime DVD industry is dying/shrinking, we should be supporting the industry by buying originals. Granted, the dubs in the Macross series is not fantastic, but it is not bad either. If we want to see titles like Macross Frontier or Macross Zero coming to the States, we should buy originals to encourage them to bring them here.

I bought the 'McCross' dub partially for that reason. From Robotech.com even. They were the only ones that had it all in stock tho. Doesn't really feel worth ~$200 (and I feel kind of dirty giving HG money), but I think that's a big problem with anime releases nowadays, I could have gotten the complete "Dukes of Hazzard" series or something for that much.

Then again it could be as bad as in Japan. I'm still eyeing up the 25th anniversary Macross 7 and Plus boxes at Amazon.co.jp... it'd *only* be $700 for both of them... :blink:

Hey dudes,

You so funny, mang. :lol:

Hey dudes,

Best case scenario, supporting the ADV/Manga Entertainment dubs would persuade the powers that be to bring Macross Frontier & Macross Zero to the States with dialogue that's at least 50% rewritten at random and English dubbing that wouldn't cut it at amateur puppet theater. I think The Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy et. al. have taught the general audience... That is, the more casual audience a dub would be aimed at... That watching an "adult" animated TV series doesn't have to feel like you're watching the highschool drama club rehearsing a bad play in the supply closet inbetween flipping burgers and asking "How may I take your order?".

I don't want to see MacF & Zero come over to the States, only to have them - or Macross as a whole - deemed unmarketable because the wider audience balked at the shitty dubbing.