Macross TV Dub

Pat Payne

They've toned down the clown act Focker was in Vol 01.

I'm still not quite satisfied with the voice work and the "Muh-cross" pronounciation is really getting annoying!! Followed closely by Hi-kar-u... :rolleyes:

It's quite sad when HG can pronounce the name correctly and ADV can't... :blink:

I have to double check, but I think they've changed a few sound effects from the original.

They've toned down the clown act Focker was in Vol 01.

I think they almost had to, as Kakizaki now seems to have that role in the dub cast. Yes, Hayao Kakizaki is supposed to be dense, yet they made sound more like a blithering imbicile in the dub.

I'm still not quite satisfied with the voice work and the "Muh-cross" pronounciation  is really getting annoying!!  Followed closely by Hi-kar-u... :rolleyes:

It could be worse. Actually, I'm getting used to the pronunciation (don't like it, but I'm being stoic about it) and most of the voice cast doesn't bother me. I like Mari Iijima's vocal work in the new volume (she seems to be getting more comfortable with the English dubbing work) and Hikaru's voice is getting a bit better. Roy isn't as grating here, but as I mentioned that's only because they moved all the gratingness to Kakizaki. Max is OK, but could have been better. Some times the voice is great, but at times he sounds like Lumbergh from Office Space. Kamujin needs a lot of work. He does not sound like the backstabbin' badass he's supposed to be. Instead he sounds like a bored Regency fop.

The absolute worst, though is the announcer of the Miss Macross contest. Note to that actor: Couldya ratchet down the gayness a few clicks, please?

I say that excuse used so often and it's still as stupid as day one.  What idiot can't focus on the images on the screen and dialog at the same time?

No need to be insulting there. I find that some people just prefer to hear the guy say the words while not focusing at any one spefic thing in the image at a time.

I have also had friends who can't play certain vertically scrolling shoot em ups in the arcade because thier eyes are distracted by the bits of shrapnel and they get confused by the busy screen.

Also it is interesting that one of the types of games that are popular in the west (like first person shooter) are unpopular in japan because of the claim that japanese people get dizzy and sick from playing them.

I also get a bit sick when I see a monitor with a low refresh rate. (ie I was watching this guy play a game boy emulator on a laptop a long time ago and everytime I looked at the screen I felt a bit sick)

...So although it might no be a problem for you realise that different people have different preferences for things based on thier eyes. Some people get epileptic siezures just from blinking lights. It might be something to do with the way some people's brains are wired. Does that mean they are dumb? I'm just sick of the insulting and rude comments. People who prefer dubs are willing to admit that the original voices are better but for other reasons might just like not looking at the bottom of the screen. It is not an "excuse", just how they prefer to watch something. (no different from how some people can't stand other people's settings on an operating system which uses big icons or has the mouse setting on very high sensitivity - different strokes for different folks)

In any case I believe it is always good to have more than 1 option, and dvds are great for offering all that. Sometime for games like Shenmue I WANT the original VA over the dub ones and if given "choice" I would like to have japanese audio with subtitles on the bottom, but that doesn't mean I will go right out of my way to deny people wanting to hear the dub just because the dub might not meet the standard of the original VA. More choice is better. End of discussion. I would rather have a release that has BOTH.

I've heard the arguments of the other side and think they are missing the point and are not understanding the logic of having X option + Y option = more, so more people are happy. While having X option only = less, so less people are happy. If you don't like the dub you don't need to choose that option but stopping others from wanting to choose it is only going to turn off those who like watching without sub. The question isn't whether dubs usually suck (I would agree with you) but: If you want to please everyone, why not include both so you appeal to all fans? Can anyone give me a good reason for not having more options so that more people are happy?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

To quote Ms. Iijima.

Interviewer: "Being a singer songwriter and the actress who played Minmay hasn't always been easy, but you've really come to peace with it recently. Tell us about that."

Mari Iijima: "It only happened two or three months ago. I think the process happened slowly, little by little, but when I attended this some kind of a small....it was not a convention but Macross fans, a meeting thing and I was invited. I agreed to be there and I was talking about Macross, honestly, what happened and they were giving me questions. I thought I did fine but after that I got some kind of negative reactions."

"I went to see some BBS and people were not pleased about my answers and I felt kind of scared, oh my gosh I can't say anything right, anything about Macross or animation, if I open my mouth I offend people. So, umm I have to decide maybe this is it. I'm not going to talk about Macross, I'm not gonna talk about animation maybe this is it. Because It seems like we have no connection me and the animation world. I don't know what to do,I'm a very sensitive person so I take things personally really hard."

"Then something happened, ummm like why don't you it was almost I heard a voice. Why don't you watch the whole Macross series from the first episode to the end. So, a long time ago more than ten years ago my friend copied each episode onto VHS tapes. So I took out those tapes from the closet and I started to watch each episode and I saw the whole thing like in three or four days. So, when I focus I focus real good. When I finished watching I felt wow it didn't seem old at all, it didn't age the series."

"I didn't know everything about acting but I gave everything I had and it was really refreshing to see me playing Minmay. The stories were very interesting, the love triangle and the space war. Maybe when I was playing Minmay I wasn't following the stories that closely, and I was busy doing all kinds of stuff. Ummmm, I had a brand new appreciation for Macross. Then I thought I felt like my heart melted (almost like blushing) and then Macross was fun and then a week after your company contacted me if I want to play Minmay again. Hehehe. Interesting."

I went to see some BBS and people were not pleased about my answers and I felt kind of scared, oh my gosh I can't say anything right, anything about Macross or animation, if I open my mouth I offend people.

I'm not sure but could this be a reference to the robotech forums where one guy asked: "Why is minmay (in robotech?) so annoying??" haha :D Wasn't it there where the questions were being asked and fans coud ask questions?

see here for what I mean:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...ndpost&p=340347 (post #250 onwards)

1) Mari, how will you cope with American fans' intense hatred (bordering on bloodlust) for the character of Minmay?

2) Mari, who was the bigger traitor: Gloval or Emerson?

3) Mari, do you think Ray should have shot Stick at the end of Mospeada?

:D

I think mari should watch DYRL too if she hasn't. Her apreciation for the story might go up even more and may see why fanatical otaku still hold macross in high regard as a modern classic. (good animation, mech design, music and epic story. aah those were the good ole days..)

I went to see some BBS and people were not pleased about my answers and I felt kind of scared, oh my gosh I can't say anything right, anything about Macross or animation, if I open my mouth I offend people.

I'm not sure but could this be a reference to the robotech forums where one guy asked: "Why is minmay (in robotech?) so annoying??" haha :D Wasn't it there where the questions were being asked and fans coud ask questions?

see here for what I mean:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...ndpost&p=340347 (post #250 onwards)

1) Mari, how will you cope with American fans' intense hatred (bordering on bloodlust) for the character of Minmay?

2) Mari, who was the bigger traitor: Gloval or Emerson?

3) Mari, do you think Ray should have shot Stick at the end of Mospeada?

:D

I think mari should watch DYRL too if she hasn't. Her apreciation for the story might go up even more and may see why fanatical otaku still hold macross in high regard as a modern classic. (good animation, mech design, music and epic story. aah those were the good ole days..)

382832[/snapback]

She did make a couple of DYRL references on the latest DVD. I wonder if HG and ADV is closer to releasing DYRL in the States.

Well I am finding myself missing the actors who did Roy and Breetai in RT over these guys.

The voice of Roy from that show better suited the aged war vet and mentor.

The Breetai voice was closer to the original bass toned voice work done in the original SDF Macross.

I think if they allowed Minmay's aunt to have as thick an accent as Minmay it would help to sell Marii's voice work better. Although if ADV had the forsight to secure the rebroadcast rights to the Macross music, Marii could have transliterated the songs and sang them in English IMHO.

I suspect Marii was referring to a forum from a while back. She was probably dissing the Studio and Record company for such poor treatment of their artists (including her experiences) and some "otaku" took it upon themselves to flame her for it...

Which would further discourage her from associating with anything Macross at the time.

Edited by Zinjo

Although if ADV had the forsight to secure the rebroadcast rights to the Macross music, Marii could have transliterated the songs and sang them in English IMHO.

This would have been nice. Would like to hear what an english version of the song would sound like.

We only have the manga macross plus karaoke version to go by:

Kyun-Kyun!, Kyun-Kyun!

My Boyfriend is a pilot now, is a pilot now!

What a wasted opportunity imo.

Finally broke down and ordered #1 & 2 from amazon. Not for myself you understand, as I don't like dubs, but for the purpose of getting my son into Macross. :D

Graham

382023[/snapback]

Yeah same here. But with my 7 year old nephew. Back when I had the Animeigo DVDs he would sit and watch them with me for a while because he loves the "planes turning into robots". But after a while he would leave because he had no idea what was going on. Then one day he picked up my copy of DYRL and wanted to watch it but when I told him it wasnt in english he changed his mind.

So with the dubbed Macross DVDs I can make a new Macross fan! I know he will love the series now that he can understand what everyone is saying.

She did make a couple of DYRL references on the latest DVD. I wonder if HG and ADV is closer to releasing DYRL in the States.

383040[/snapback]

Only, my friend, when someone finally takes Shakespeare literally.

I'm about to start an all new post for this, but has anyone heard why disc #2 which was suppose to have been out like 2 weeks ago has hardly shown up anywhere? None of the local Best Buys have gotton it even though it's been available for ordering on Best Buy's online store for two weeks. No other Best Buy in the US has it listed as being available! I even stopped by the local Suncoast and they don't have it yet either.

What is going on? I'd prefer to buy it locally, but there seems to be no signs of it hitting the retail level.

My ADV disk 1 with outer box & disk 2 just arrived in the post a few minutes ago from Amazon.

Gotta say I'm very impressed with the box art.

I just wish the AnimEigo set had such nice art. That was one of my main gripes with the AnimEigo set. Garoquel(sp), the guy that did the art on the AnimEigo sets is a talented artist and capable of much better, but he came up with such bland boring designs.

Graham

I don't know Graham. I felt that the art was so 'standard' that it's bland. But I'm not gonna complain to much about it. But know it makes me want to try and buy that specialty box now.

On the dub. Super suckage! The only characters that remotely decent were Kim & Shammy. Gloval wasn't too bad, and neither was Claudia. Yet another set of idiotic castings by Green. I could've totally done without hearing half of the Goddannar cast, especially Flockers! Brrrrr....

But after watching the first 3 episodes RT and Macross is like Night and Day in way of comparasions. From the orginals very beginning the shows entire tone is vastly different and makes one hellva impression feeling somewhat gritty & mature. The pacing and scene transition is sooooo much better that it's damned incredible! So far the only thing that RT did that was removely better was to keep the album scene until the end. That really helped to set the series apart and made it nostaligic.

I'm about to start an all new post for this, but has anyone heard why disc #2 which was suppose to have been out like 2 weeks ago has hardly shown up anywhere?  None of the local Best Buys have gotton it even though it's been available for ordering on Best Buy's online store for two weeks.  No other Best Buy in the US has it listed as being available!  I even stopped by the local Suncoast and they don't have it yet either.

What is going on?  I'd prefer to buy it locally, but there seems to be no signs of it hitting the retail level.

385194[/snapback]

The Best Buy near me still doesn't have it. I called today and the guy said it was on a truck and being delivered tonight, near closing time and it should be on the shelf tommorow. He did say I should call and they would hold it for me, makes it sound like they are only getting 1.

I just wish the AnimEigo set had such nice art. That was one of my main gripes with the AnimEigo set. Garoquel(sp), the guy that did the art on the AnimEigo sets is a talented artist and capable of much better, but he came up with such bland boring designs.

I love my AnimEigo set, but agree that box design sucks ass. I don't think this guy, talented as he may be, put any effort into the design. It's basically a ripoff of the old Laserdisc set. I'm pretty sure when you pull the discs out of the box on the Memorial Boxset it has the same boring black background with colored line art on it. Yawn.

I wonder if I could buy just the ADV boxes somewhere.

In defence of the Animeigo art, Garoquel was initially going to do something much more colorful &...good! But apparently AnimEigo wanted the black covers with neon line art. I'm guessing it had something to do with HG, but who know's.

In defence of the Animeigo art, Garoquel was initially going to do something much more colorful &...good! But apparently AnimEigo wanted the black covers with neon line art. I'm guessing it had something to do with HG, but who know's.

385654[/snapback]

Oh yeah, I'm sure HG said, "Okay, you can have the Macross license, but the box art has to be plain and horrible so it has no chance of selling. That way, we won't make any money from you. Because we like being broke."

Please.

More likely AnimEigo spent their entire budget restoring the series and didn't have any money left over for decent packaging.

And/or despite the long delay, maybe they were still rushed on packaging. Because the restortion was obviously where their effort went.

Edited by Ginrai

No money for packaging is silly, and I saw Garoquel's preliminary art which was much better than the final product, and just as finished. He specifically said at the time that AnimEigo wanted that butt ugly box art, most likely so HG wouldn't have to compete with shelf space for the robotech DVD's which were using decent art.

Animeigo didn't have the rights for the artwork that Garoquel used in his preliminary sets. Instead, they could only use what little artwork Harmony Gold actually has the rights to, and most of that art was already appropriated for use on the Robotech DVD's. Sorry Keith, no sinister conspiracy theories here.

I'd agree with that, if it weren't for the fact that the line art versions of the art used for the final versions of the AnimEigo art were the same images used in his full color prototype images. There's also no logical reason why HG should have prohibited shared image catalog with ADV & AnimEigo between the series, especially since they seem to have no problem letting ADV themselves share images between series.

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=23 <--Same as ADV Macross TV vol 2.post-278-1144221526.jpg

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=28 <--Same as ADV Macross TV vol 3.post-278-1144221610.jpg

Edited by Keith

I finally got Vol. 2 from Best Buy...they REALLY need to put their product on the shelves instead of the back room if they want to sell it :p

Haven't seen the special features, but I'm still lovin' the dub! I haven't seen most of the original Macross episodes ('is it real :) , or is it Robotech :angry: ' ) and I only have a vague idea what happens over the course of the series...so its almost like watching it for the first time.

Can't wait for Vol. 3!

I'd agree with that, if it weren't for the fact that the line art versions of the art used for the final versions of the AnimEigo art were the same images used in his full color prototype images. There's also no logical reason why HG should have prohibited shared image catalog with ADV & AnimEigo between the series, especially since they seem to have no problem letting ADV themselves share images between series.

I agree that they should have used better art on the Animeigo DVD's and box, too, but since the Animeigo DVD's were coming out at the same time as ADV's Robotech disks it would make complete sense that completely different and contrasting artwork and package styles would be used. Since the Robotech DVD's were going to see a wider release then the Aniemigo Macross DVD's, it would make more sense for the Robotech Macross Saga DVD's to end up with the better artwork (but as a fellow Macross Purist, I fully agree that we should have gotten the better artwork! :D )

As for the notion of the concern of the Animeigo Macross DVD's cutting into the sales of ADV's Robotech DVD's, you have to think of this from a businessman's perspective and not a fanboy's perspective. I would think that Harmony Gold would want both of these product lines to sell as best as possible. Why would Harmony Gold and Aniemeigo spend a few million dollars and several years worth of labor in one of the biggest movie/TV series restorations ever if they didn't want it to be a success? They (HG) would have just left the film reels sitting in storage. Also, they wouldn't be pushing it now like they (HG and ADV) are now if they didn't want this to be profitable and a success.

I finally got Vol. 2 from Best Buy...they REALLY need to put their product on the shelves instead of the back room if they want to sell it :p

Haven't seen the special features, but I'm still lovin' the dub!  I haven't seen most of the original Macross episodes ('is it real :) , or is it Robotech :angry: ' ) and I only have a vague idea what happens over the course of the series...so its almost like watching it for the first time.

Can't wait for Vol. 3!

387879[/snapback]

Monday night I finally saw one of the Omaha Best Buys as having V2 in stock. Got there yesterday afternoon and there was one copy left. I still don't get why V2 has been more difficult to get and not showing up in stores.

Haven't seen the special features, but I'm still lovin' the dub!  I haven't seen most of the original Macross episodes ('is it real :) , or is it Robotech :angry: ' ) and I only have a vague idea what happens over the course of the series...so its almost like watching it for the first time.

Can't wait for Vol. 3!

387879[/snapback]

Monday night I finally saw one of the Omaha Best Buys as having V2 in stock. Got there yesterday afternoon and there was one copy left. I still don't get why V2 has been more difficult to get and not showing up in stores.

388030[/snapback]

I got mine from Best Buy on 3/29, I had to call and have them hold it for me, they only ordered 1. He also said they had 2 coming in for 4/4, a friend of mine went and picked up one that day and it was the only one on the shelf. I think Best Buy has decided that this isn't going to sell well, so they aren't ordering any. Another theory is that the Vol. 1 boxset takes up shelf space and they don't want to order a lot of stock and have a whole section devoted to Macross, that isn't selling.

Monday night I finally saw one of the Omaha Best Buys as having V2 in stock.  Got there yesterday afternoon and there was one copy left.  I still don't get why V2 has been more difficult to get and not showing up in stores.

388030[/snapback]

I got mine from Best Buy on 3/29, I had to call and have them hold it for me, they only ordered 1. He also said they had 2 coming in for 4/4, a friend of mine went and picked up one that day and it was the only one on the shelf. I think Best Buy has decided that this isn't going to sell well, so they aren't ordering any. Another theory is that the Vol. 1 boxset takes up shelf space and they don't want to order a lot of stock and have a whole section devoted to Macross, that isn't selling.

388067[/snapback]

It's funny you mention shelf space, since the "Macross" section of my local Best Buy store appears to be empty...waiting for more DVDs to come in. I know I'm not the only one that wants these DVDs...if the first set of Macross sold (there's only one Vol. 1 DVD and a couple box sets left at my store) why wouldn't the next set sell just as well?

It makes no sense to me! :angry: I might just go with an online source for Vol. 3 :ph34r:

You guys are having problems finding V2!!! Good god! My Best Buys had it on the racks in roughly in January/Febuary. They get there shipments way earier then Right Stuff and many other stores!

Anyways, this dub is making me ill. <_<

I've heard some bland and boring dub's before, but these have GOT to be the worst dubs I've ever heard! I can stand most of the cast except the main characters(sans Misa). It's like HG intentionally wanted a 'bad' dub made to increase RoboTechs quality.

That aside I never realized just how bad Hikaru had 'hero-worship' until I heard Minmay call him on it! LOL!

Wow I was bored the other night, but I came out feeling a bit more informed after watching the special features on the Vol. 1 DVD, namely the 1984 dub.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the 1984 dub is atrocius! I haven't seen Robotech in 20+ years, but these were the same voice actors, correct? Its like nails on a chalkboard for me anyway, especially the exposition narration 'a fleet of huge ships exits out of hyperspace' when its absolutely obvious this is happening. The renaming of Hikaru and Misa also grated on me, and above all...ADV should be proud, because I now pronouce Macross "MUHcross"...and in the old dub its 'MACKross, MACKross, MACKross"

Also I listened to the commentary with Mari and Monica Rial (Misa) and the one on Vol. 2 with Vic Mignogna (Hikaru)...I think that Mari is simply perfect for her role...she sounds and acts as young as her counterparts Monica and Vic. Turns out Vic doesn't know how the series ends and he pressed Mari to reveal what Minmay's feelings for Hikaru were. As for me, I know the basic plot outline, but the things in between are getting filled in with every episode.

Does anyone think this dub will make it to TV, maybe like Cartoon Network's Adult Swim?