Macross TV Dub

Pat Payne

Just saw the Anime Atlanta wrapup from Anime on DVD... ADV announced that the dub for Macross was as we speak in production. Here's the relevant parts from this page:

ADV may release the Elfen Lied soundtrack, but as it was only available as a special pack-in in Japan, it may be hard to get the rights to it. ADV may also release the Elfen Lied manga.

The Macross dub is in production but no more information about it could be given.

The live-action Eva project is still going on. Currently they are trying to sign a director. The companies involved in the project are ADV, Gainax, and WETA.

Let the guessing game begin, I guess...I'd love for them to have gotten Mari Ijima as minmay, but I guess time will tell whether they got a "Cowboy Bebop" out of them or a...well, you know ... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I could care less about the dub so much, as having another copy of the series which isn't succeptable to random disc cracking. My disc's seem to be ok so far, but enough members have complained to make it a concern.

Although I do enjoy the rare dub, most dubs today are still of a very poor level of quality. I won't be happy with this dub unless it's of a level equal or superior to the Cowboy Bebop dub. By necessity, I still watch the majority of my anime in subtitled format. Doesn't really bother me, since I'm a big fan of foreign film, I'm pretty much accustomed to it.

Edited by Mr March

A dub would be interesting, if they got a good voice cast, maybe one like the GitS or Planetes crews, maybe the new Area 88. I actually watch most of anime dubbed right now, mostly because I also work on the computer or do other things at the same time. THe first time through I may sit and actually watch it, but after that I usually just have it on as background, as I do with most DVDs I own.

Also let's hope it is not hard dubbed.

I used to be a hard core dub man. My philosophy was "If I wanted to read,I wouldn't be watching a video."

Over time, subtitled vids grew on me. I also learned how crappy dubs REALLY were.The subs actually made more sense to me.

In recent years,there have been some fairly good dubs hitting the market. So I wouldn't object too much to a Macross TV dub. On one condition that is.....

That none of Harmony Ghoul's Robosuck voice actors work on the project!

Given that this is ADV we're talking about, I'm sure we'll see (or hear, I suppose) some familiar names on the cast list. What do you want to bet Dan Worren will be in there somewhere?

333581[/snapback]

Dan Worren is one of the few RT cast members that actually did a good job in my opinion. I would not at all mind him doing the english-dub of Roy Focker. He's about the only one though.

Cam Clarke is one of my favorite american voice actors, but he just isn't right for Max... needs to be someone with a deeper voice. Although (and I could be wrong, I can't remember), if he did the voice for Quamzin ("Khyron"), he's pretty well suited for that.

Everyone else pretty much needs to go.

Edited by Skull Leader

Given that this is ADV we're talking about, I'm sure we'll see (or hear, I suppose) some familiar names on the cast list. What do you want to bet Dan Worren will be in there somewhere?

333581[/snapback]

If Dan Woren is in there, I wouldn't be too broken up. He is not as execrebal as some of the actors (the aforementioned Mr. Oliver [who has no business, BTW as Lupin or Hikaru :angry: ] and Ms. West/Forstadt). I did hear rumors -- the veracity of which I CANNOT verify at the moment that back in July when ADV first announced the Macross license, that they were possibly hoping to get Mari Ijima to reprise the role of Lynn Minmay. Whether she'd be willing or even available to do it is anyone's guess though.

Dean: No, there is still no plans by anyone to release DYRL in any format on DVD -- that one's still a Mexican standoff that has no resolution in sight.

Effect: The days of lower-priced dubs and pricy subs are, thankfully, back in the Middle Ages.

Knight 26: I doubt they'd hard dub it. There'd be an outcry from anime fans larger than just in Macross fandom (for one, Jim Lazar would pounce on that one faster than you can say "Awww...it's edited!") and besides, this is going to be like Southern Cross and Mospeada which were subbed, so at least for consistency's sake, they'd sub it. There's not really any reason for them NOT to.

Edited by Pat Payne

I don't really trust ADV when it comes to english-dubbing.

The few good dubs ADV have had (i.e. Dai Guard/Golden Boy) are few and far between. Some have already been laid off (Dai Guard's vocal-studio Monster Island is gone). So we're left with the vocals from ISM: the same casting-people who did the infamous EVA english-dubs. Don't know about you, but between EVA and Robotech dubs, I rather listen to Robotech's english-dubs.

Fwiw, the only good english-talent at ADV, imho, is Monica Rial. I like Hillary Haag, also, but she's not as good a vocal-talent as Monica Rial.

I fully doubt ADV will contract Animaze (the people who originally did the english-dubs of Macross-Saga (pre-Animaze name), Macross-Plus, Cowboy Bebop and now Gits-SAC/2nd-Gig).

Also, I will have to deviate from the collective here regarding the old robotech-vocals (macross-saga). They were fine enough back then. The problem was the directing and the script they were using. Yes, even Tony's Hikaru and Reba's Minmae could've turned out better if Macek didn't alter enough of the Macross-dialogues and directed the show that made Macross-Saga more broadcast-"friendly" but yet sound so very corny like we all know about Robotech.

Cam Clarke is terrible ... in everything ...

333672[/snapback]

In your opinion.

334134[/snapback]

No, he's right, he's pretty much terrible in everything. Hell, what was he even doing in Metal Gear, there's no reason a Big Boss clone should have sounded that...gay

Dan Worren is one of the few RT cast members that actually did a good job in my opinion. I would not at all mind him doing the english-dub of Roy Focker. He's about the only one though.

333662[/snapback]

It'll never happen, but I'd love to hear Bruce Campbell give a crack at Roy Focker's voice.

I wonder if this new dub will contain any "enhancements"? By that I mean ADVs overuse of the words : poo, fart, bitch and whore... Some of their dubs are awful.

334144[/snapback]

That is a concern. "Enhancements" aside (I can live with a limited dose of the usual "if we've got two translations for a expletive, lets' go with the stronger" syndrome) I hope that they don't do with the dub what they did to Orphen: Turn the dub into a totally different show from the (more or less) faithful sub.

Cam Clarke is one of my favorite american voice actors, but he just isn't right for Max... needs to be someone with a deeper voice. Although (and I could be wrong, I can't remember), if he did the voice for Quamzin ("Khyron"), he's pretty well suited for that.

Actually, I've always found Max's original voice a tad too deep, especially for his pretty-boy looks. Then again, I saw Robotech first, and had imprinted into my psyche that Clarke is what Max should sound like. I guess pretty-and-andrygynous-Bishonin-boy-with-deep-voice is a staple in Japanese anime, even though it just comes across as all sorts of weird to an Western audience. Raiden in Metal Gear Solid 2 was also cast differently, with the English voice actor having a much higher voice while the Japanese original's was much deeper and booming. Same goes for Snake, actually. They just love that deep voice. If the Japanese had their way, all male Star Wars characters would be played by James Earl Jones.

-Al

They just love that deep voice.  If the Japanese had their way, all male Star Wars characters would be played by James Earl Jones.

334216[/snapback]

That would certainly put a whole new spin on the "But I was going in to Toshi Station to pick up some power convertors" line.

They just love that deep voice.  If the Japanese had their way, all male Star Wars characters would be played by James Earl Jones.

334216[/snapback]

That would certainly put a whole new spin on the "But I was going in to Toshi Station to pick up some power convertors" line.

334244[/snapback]

I'd pay mad bucks to hear Reba's rendition of "Do You Remember Love"! Hee, hee!!

Max's voice is meant to be deep that's part of his charm. He's suppose to be better looking than Hikaru with a deep smooth talking sexy voice.

Robotech's Roy VO was one of the better voices however, Robotech's Roy has too much of that Optimus Prime fun loving mentor vibe going on. Macross Roy has to have more shirt chasing, beer drinking passion going on. Not saying Warren could do it but I wouldn't want a repeat performance.

I basically don't like Subs. One of the biggest reasons is that all the voices sound the same. Yeah a lot of the same people do all the voices but few have any range.

I would not mind a dub version since I missed out on the animeigo sets. As long as its done well I won't gripe. Plus if they get Mari to reprise her role, that would make for a definant plus in my book. After all they're some days I dont feel like reading subs.

IMHO I think Cam Clake is awesome. Heres a fun fact, Cam also did voice overs for not one but two :ph34r: H animes. Its was so bad it was hilarious and kinda freaky too. :blink: Hows that for a fun fact.

I would not mind a dub version since I missed out on the animeigo sets. As long as its done well I won't gripe. Plus if they get Mari to reprise her role, that would make for a definant plus in my book. After all they're some days I dont feel like reading subs.

IMHO I think Cam Clake is awesome. Heres a fun fact, Cam also did voice overs for not one but two :ph34r:  H animes. Its was so bad it was hilarious and kinda freaky too. :blink: Hows that for a fun fact.

334360[/snapback]

An excellent English Macross dub is better than no dub at all. Remember the crappy English dub of DYRL, folks. Let's hope this nightmare isn't revisited. :D

"Luke, I am your father. And Solo's. And Lando's. And Ackbar's. And even that damned quasi-homosexual protocol droid's."

Wait, he IS the quasi-homosexual protocol droid's father.

334255[/snapback]

LOL!

Yep. Not since their Eva dub and most recently the terrible Azamanga Daoh dub. My Animeigo DVDs are backed up and intact (not counting the spare set). I'm good to go and don't need a dub of Macross this late in the game.

Yep. Not since their Eva dub and most recently the terrible Azamanga Daoh dub. My Animeigo DVDs are backed up and intact (not counting the spare set). I'm good to go and don't need a dub of Macross this late in the game.

334947[/snapback]

Same here. The mere mention of ADV just sends shivers down my spine. And, I'm about to back up my Animeigo set. I've already changed the casings. The spindles are less hard on the DVDs.

I know that some members here will purchase the set, and I'm curious to see what the quality of the dub and video will be. And you have to wonder: will they go for another "5.1 surround soundtrack" like they did with that other show which shall remain nameless?

If these links get deleted off by the mods its fine, ppl can just PM me and I'll give it to them.

But if your curious how a Dubbed Macross would sound, here's some scenes friends of mine and I did using AnimEgo's easteregg bonus.

HIKURO'S MACROSS DUB 1

HIKURO'S MACROSS DUB 2

Both these links should still work, and I worked very hard on doing a decent job at these.

But this would give you an idea of how it would sort of go. And I'm still continueing on doing these as sort of a demo reel to help me become a professional voice actor and make alot of you guys proud of SOME dubbed anime.

If these links get deleted off by the mods its fine, ppl can just PM me and I'll give it to them.

But if your curious how a Dubbed Macross would sound, here's some scenes friends of mine and I did using AnimEgo's easteregg bonus.

HIKURO'S MACROSS DUB 1

HIKURO'S MACROSS DUB 2

Both these links should still work, and I worked very hard on doing a decent job at these.

But this would give you an idea of how it would sort of go.  And I'm still continueing on doing these as sort of a demo reel to help me become a professional voice actor and make alot of you guys proud of SOME dubbed anime.

335145[/snapback]

Whoever is playing hikaru and Minmay is good but whoever is playing Roy is rather too gruff for my taste it sounds like hes trying too hard he should take it easy and sound more normally. Sounds like Scott McNeil.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

Well if this dub is underway I say Wendy Lee should be the VA for Millia you know her as Faye Valentine. And who should be Roy well the Richard George or Brian Drummond should play him.

334216[/snapback]

334244[/snapback]

I'd pay mad bucks to hear Reba's rendition of "Do You Remember Love"! Hee, hee!!

334256[/snapback]

You should impale youself for that bad joke. :D

[

334256[/snapback]

You should impale youself for that bad joke. :D

335185[/snapback]

Which is what fans will probably end up doing if that were to be :ph34r:

... that, or rip their ears off.

a friend of mine and I once worked on English lyrics for DYRL and actually had about 2 minutes of the song done and was using it as a piece for the DYRL dub trailer we were doing......wish I knew where that went too.

I know we even did Zero-G Love at one point.