Well, I just got back from the midnight show and I have mixed feelings about it.

First of all, I really liked the movie as far as story, acting, progression and the action sequences. It's great to see the crew together again to further their tale. It's everything that you get from the series plus a higher production value that looks great. The audience was totally into it and I feel that it delivered.

Which comes to my whole problem about the movie... I think that it delivered too much of the story too quick. On one hand I think it's great that they answered a lot of the questions that you had for the show, unlike X-Files where there was really nothing gained from the movie version. But on the other hand, I was hoping that they would leave me wanting more. At this point I'm pretty satisfied with the story of Firefly if it was to close with the movie they have now and I really have no desire for any sequels or the return of the series. My whole problem is that I WANT to want more. The story, as good as it is, doesn't give enough room for the whole cast to breathe. Each person gets their small scene, but ultimately this is Mal's and River's show. Hell the bad guy gets more lines than the rest of the crew...

I know that this is the spoiler thread but let me warn you one last time... don't read further...

I'm greatly disappointed that they killed off Book and Wash. I know it grounded you to reality but like I said I was hoping to see more of the rest of the crew, if not on this movie then maybe the next. But there's really no chance of that for those two characters. Maybe it seemed that their character isnt that important but on the show they were pretty significant. At this point I think that Simon is a character that is more dispensible. But oh well that's life isn't it, even though it's just make believe.

I really have to give it to Joss Whedon though, these are pretty brave choices to make. The story is not less interesting, it's really a good movie. I just believe that it worked better as a series than it did as a movie. Stupid Fox!

Ahh crap, you did say spoilers though, lol.

Yah, it was said in a few interviews that noone knows if this is the end, so when he wrote the movie, he did mention that some type of closure is necessary if nothing comes of the movie. Wash dead? Damn, guess ill have to take care of his widowed wife now! Actually, he was one of my favorite characters, too bad. Book gobe too? Liked him too, never figured out what his past was from the series, or maybe i never caught the episodes, im a newbie to Firefly actually, but if u know if there was any past to mention, plz, let me know. Ill check it out tonight for sure, and if anyone has more spoilers, share em. Wont make watching the movie any less eventful anyhow, thanx for the write up EXO.

Edited by Mechwarrior

Yeah my brother told me of their deaths way back couple months. But he didnt tell me how they died. So it was still pretty good.

I'm gonna speculate that maybe Book was an operative at one point. (assasin like the other black guy in this movie)

That is the ne thing that I feel is still hanging, Book's past. There are all these teasers when he has detailed knowledge of the Alliance's inner working. and then in teh series he showed his ID and they obeyed without question.

Lets out big gasp of air. I've been waiting months to talk about this movie. When people would ask how it was all I could say is it's good but be prepared for some surprises. Wash's death being the number one surprise. First off I have to say I don't think it was totally necessary but it was done really well. The build up with the ship battle and then being in mid laugh when he was killed made it really powerful. I guess if they were required to kill off two characters he is the second most disposable.

Weakest character for me was Mr. Universe. He is somewhat amusing but seems out of place. Actually I may just dislike him because it felt like they made him a more important character than Wash.

As for sequels it might be cool to see them make a movie about them just doing a job instead of something on a epic scale.

Anybody read the comics that came before the movie. They are good plus you get to see Book in action one last time.

Yeah Wash's death wasn't really that necesary except to show how dedicated Zoe was. Book's death seemed more important to the story but I was hoping that they would do more with his character. He and Inara were my favorites from the series and was hoping the next movie would showcase them more.

Great movie, really enjoyed it. Very funny, almost too funny. I found myself laughing at moments I didn't feel like I should be laughing.....strange.

As far as killing off Wash and Book, I can't blame Joss for doing it. If there's one thing he's proven, it's that he can come up with interesting characters and I'm sure he could fill their void in the future. It's refreshing that this is a sci-fi series where not all the good guys live. I'll definetely miss their characters though.

Picked up on the fact (IMO) that Book was an operative. He knew too much about their inner workings.

I really hope that this movie does well enough for a sequel.

Excellent take Exo.... By the end of the movie everything is wrapped up nice and neat w/ almost zero chance for a sequel. But if this movie does well enough (which I think it will based on the crowds at my theater) I think the Firefly universe is definately large enough for prequels.

OK, just saw it...loved it. Things are "wrapped up" much more quicklybut that is a given since it's a film and not TV...and it doesn't really end either since I doubt they're through with River...plus there's still Inara's secrets to tell...

Exo, Exo, as clueless as ever......tsk tsk.

The next movie (if this ones brings in the money) will be a prequel that will showcase the whole staff. It will cover more of the war and develop the characters of Wash, Zoe, Kayless, book and Mal.

Book's secrets will be revealed and we will se more of how the crew all came together after the war leading up to when River and Simon.

In movies, nobody really dies when it comes to the almighty dollar.

The one that I am waiting for is part 3 (if and 2 fly).

Now that one will be a spectacle. Can you say reever home world and alliance vs rebel war part deux..... :D:D:D

Just another reminder Exo, Texas is NOT in Canada, o.k.?................HEY!!! :rolleyes:

dumbass :lol::lol:

Edited by MGREXX

The next movie (if this ones brings in the money) will be a prequel that will showcase the whole staff.  It will cover more of the war and develop the characters of Wash, Zoe, Kayless, book and Mal.

Book's secrets will be revealed and we will se more of how the crew all came together after the war leading up to when River and Simon.

Now that one will be a spectacle.  Can you say reever home world and alliance vs rebel war part deux..... :D  :D  :D

Just another reminder Exo, Texas is NOT in Canada, o.k.?................HEY!!! :rolleyes:

dumbass :lol:  :lol:

333002[/snapback]

The prequel thing is highly unlikely....they already did it in the pilot and the Out of Gas episode.

Great movie, really enjoyed it.  Very funny, almost too funny.  I found myself laughing at moments I didn't feel like I should be laughing.....strange. 

As far as killing off Wash and Book, I can't blame Joss for doing it.  If there's one thing he's proven, it's that he can come up with interesting characters and I'm sure he could fill their void in the future.  It's refreshing that this is a sci-fi series where not all the good guys live.  I'll definetely miss their characters though.

Picked up on the fact (IMO) that Book was an operative.  He knew too much about their inner workings.

I really hope that this movie does well enough for a sequel.

332953[/snapback]

I agree it's ballsy to kill main characters off, it's definitely a personal gripe and no I'm not about to spew off some lame fanfic of how Whedon should do things. Like I said it's still a great movie and certainly fills that SciFi hole that the cinema has been lacking lately. I just feel that if the series was still on we would have gotten to enjoy going deeper into those characters. But I'm certainly looking forward to how possibly he can top this storyline.

The next movie (if this ones brings in the money) will be a prequel that will showcase the whole staff.  It will cover more of the war and develop the characters of Wash, Zoe, Kayless, book and Mal.

Now that one will be a spectacle.  Can you say reever home world and alliance vs rebel war part deux..... :D  :D  :D

dumbass :lol:  :lol:

333002[/snapback]

The prequel thing is highly unlikely....they already did it in the pilot and the Out of Gas episode.

333004[/snapback]

lol... people really have to try harder to flame me... obviously still burned by that useless thread. :rolleyes: It's really funny how people are so brave to speculate because they're counting on the fact that we're not going to remember all the useless dribble they say by the time it matters. haha.

The prequel thing is a horrible idea, only idiots would fall for that kind of thing.

I was enjoying this thread until MGREXX showed up and spouted out more useless babble just so he could take a weak shot at >EXO<.

Oh, and by the way, MGREXX, the way you quoted Graham's post in that other thread DID make it look like you were saying Jewel Staite is from Texas. I'm sure in your own mind you are cool and witty, but in reality... not so much. Enough said.

Just saw it and loved it. I had been spoiled before hand about Wash's death, but it was from people who hadn't seen the final edit. So, as the film went along, I dismissed it. When it did finally happen, I was taken by surprise. I like it when creator have the balls to kill characters, even if Wash was my favorite.

The twist at the end was interesting, but I have trouble buying it. The assassin was such a fanatic up 'til this point that his sudden change of heart just doesn't make sense.

Some great dialog from just about every character. So many quotable lines in the thing.

As for a sequal, I'm sure there'll be one. I think there's a lot of stories left in the characters and the setting. I don't think they'll be as epic as this one was, but then maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Dang, this movie kicked @$$!! Especially when I just finished the whole season of Firefly the day before!! It just made this movie even better!!! Like all of you, I felt that book and wash shouldn't have died. I still want to know about book's history as well as wash's. I really hope they do continue and make a second season, but that would be wishful thinking. Damn you Fox!!! First family guy, now firefly!! You redeemed yourself with family guy at least, but please do so for firefly!!! :(:D:p:lol:

Saw it, loved it. Books death was surprising, but not completely unforseen, the biggest issue I have with it is that now we can never really get his backstory, except as a, god forbid, prequel. Washes death was a serious surprise, I mean they had just gottne away, that was when Zoe should have grabbed him and shoved her tongue down his throat, but no they killed him. That is what made it so shocking, not only was an invested in character but the death was so sudden and from out of nowhere, ti made it very real. Mr Universe, ok we all saw that coming, complete single story character. As for the assassin turning sides, that is not too surprising after seeing what he saw. For the first time he saw what his masters were trying to create and saw the aftermath of it, that kind of thing can have a serious effect on a person. Kaylee seemed one happy camper at the end, of course I wouldn't mind going twixt her nether myself, though she is a little young for me. All in all I think the movie was great and wrapped up the series well, I hope there will be sequels and maybe some new crew introduced. I also hope that Wash was able to leave Zoe a little something, though that would make her a single mother. And the ending was just great with the one part flying off. I will ahve to see it again with my friends after they have had a chance to watch the series this week.

Solscud mentioned that Book could have been an operative. In the series Book showed the Alliance officers his ID and they immediately took him into Ariel. In the movie The Operative did the same to the scientist and they gave him access to River Tam's files. If Book indeed was an operative then maybe the role of the bad guy in the movie prolly served as sort of an explanation for the Sheperd's past.

I went to go see this movie with a friend of mine that had never seen the series and we both loved the movie...I had to explain who the characters were and why they were together, but this thing was a great Sci-Fi movie....I liked it also because it was gritty, things were not always in order and it didnt make space seem like a shiny-happy place....while I love Star Wars and Star Trek, they are too clean sometimes for their own good.

I like how Kaylee looks without that extra 20lbs that she had to have for the series, I was sorry to see Book and Wash go.....but it was nice to see that everyone got hurt in one way or another from that final battle with the reavers.

I will go and see it again to get all the dialogue and to take it all in...

Twich

Great movie. I knew this movie was about River and Mal but to throw in the Reaver's Origin.....wow. Wash's death came out of nowhere and I was like Noooo!!!! Not him! Definitely wasn't expecting that since he already killed off Sheppard, the mandatory one beloved character gets killd....but it's Josh and we know nothings sacred with him, just look at Buffy and Angel.

Inara's hot and Kaylee's cute but mygod, when River just started whooping Reaver ass with those edged weapons.....(drool).

Must buy on DVD.

just saw the movie...well done Sci-fi...humor and drama cue is right on without being too forced..it was a great sequel to the few chapters I saw on the TV drama and placed many if not all loose ends together...

I don't think another movie sequel/ prequel is a great idea right now but this made enough impact and money to make the TV idios think about the rebirth of the TV series . Wash can be brought back many other ways as a "clone" , flash back, or a psychic companion to River and just be a part of the franchise as usual.

ust another reminder Exo, Texas is NOT in Canada, o.k.?................HEY!!! rolleyes.gif

dumbass laugh.gif laugh.gif

Do you think you could ever be a friendly, productive member of the community, or do you have to insult someone every time you make one of your useless and retarded posts? And are you only a jackass when you're on the net, or are you a dipshit in real life too? 'Cause if you are, it's a wonder no one's tried to poison you or run you over or something.

Can you say reever home world

Forgive me if I'm missing something, since I haven't seen the TV series, but I was given every impression that Miranda is the Reaver homeworld. The Alliance introduced a chemical into the air that made most of the people so docile that they literally laid down and died, and the other 10% got more aggressive and became Reavers. Having seen the Reaver fleet hanging around Miranda, and all the peaceful dead bodies on the surface, what more could you want?

And, speaking as someone who was totally unfamiliar with the show, I'm going to say that I was pretty impressed with the movie. It had just the right balance of action, comedy, and drama. I do agree that most of the characters, especially Inara, were extremely under-developed, but they were still developed enough that I really cared when Wash was killed.

Dont know if it is the lack of Sci-Fi out their or what, but I cant get enough of Serenity, even though im just a couple months into it. I ordered the dvd's and saw the movie the second time , this time by myself. My favorite part would have to be when River jumps through the blast doors and starts a Melee execution of all the cannibals. Right now I would rather have teh DVD of the movie, then Star Wars episode III. Yah, Book when out like a champ, but damn i really liked Wash, one of my favorites, but part of making a good movie i guess is draining on peoples emotions and making sacrafices, and yes, i know this is one hell of a run on sentence ( Definition Of a Run On sentence ) , then again, im a low life Destroid Armour Waxer B))

Forgive me if I'm missing something, since I haven't seen the TV series, but I was given every impression that Miranda is the Reaver homeworld.  The Alliance introduced a chemical into the air that made most of the people so docile that they literally laid down and died, and the other 10% got more aggressive and became Reavers.  Having seen the Reaver fleet hanging around Miranda, and all the peaceful dead bodies on the surface, what more could you want?

333401[/snapback]

check out the series, I think it's a lot better than the movie. I noticed they added sound in space, probably pressured by the suits. The FX is not as good as the movie but the story plays out a lot better.

Took in more then 10 million. Not bad at all for a partially run show. It won't gross more then 30 though.  <_<

333483[/snapback]

It'll literally mirror Firefly then, short run at cinema, more than make up for it in DVD sales.

No great for a sequel though.

I never saw an episode of the show (I was working nights during the short time it was on TV. Anyhow, I went to see th emovie openning night with a bunch of friends who were in love with the show, in fact they had tried to get me to watch the series on DVD last week before I went but I didn't have time.

Anyhow, from the perspective of someone who has never seen the show, that was one cool movie! I thought it was very easy to follow the storyline, the characters were all great, good action, nice effects. Overall I had a really good time. There were a bunch of fanatics at the film, you know, classic openning night, sci-fi crowd, lots of clapping and crying but I knew that going in.

I will say that it is a little bit of a bummer having essentially read last chapter of the book before having read the beginning, again I knew it going in, but i would recommend that for others who have any interest in seeing the show, rent, borrow or buy the DVD;s and do a quick two or three night crash course in the series before you see the movie, because it really felt like a post-season wrap up of the storyline.

I unfortunately knew about Wash and Book months ago, but I have to say that I noticed something about Wash's death. As soon as he died (in the midst of one of the traditional humorous 'cool down' moments as someone has already said), I glanced at my friends' faces and you can tell that they not only were shocked by the event itself (as they are all Firefly fans and almost all like the character), but it seemed to dawn on them that Whedon may be willing to kill off the whole crew to tell the story. It made the whole holding action against the Reavers more intense for them because suddenly everyone was fair game.

That probably only works on fans of the series who don't know the results ahead of time, but it's pretty darn good story telling.

As for Book's past, I'm going to side with the old shepherd himself and say it doesn't need to be told. Look at all the other cool, mysterious sci-fi characters who had their origins destroy them. I think the series and the movie together imply that either Book was an operative or something much worse along those lines back in the day. The not knowing for sure, though, is part of what makes it cool.

Overall, it's a good enough movie and a very fitting addition to the series. If you're going to suggest it to Firefly virgins, though, do them the favor of letting them borrow your series DVDs and run through a marathon first. I think you really need to have learned to love the characters before you can truly take this in properly.

I unfortunately knew about Wash and Book months ago, but I have to say that I noticed something about Wash's death. As soon as he died (in the midst of one of the traditional humorous 'cool down' moments as someone has already said), I glanced at my friends' faces and you can tell that they not only were shocked by the event itself (as they are all Firefly fans and almost all like the character), but it seemed to dawn on them that Whedon may be willing to kill off the whole crew to tell the story. It made the whole holding action against the Reavers more intense for them because suddenly everyone was fair game.

333496[/snapback]

I agree, when Wash died, and so soon after Book, my thought was "Dang man how many of the crew are you going to kill." Then when ZOe took that sword hit tot he back and went down, I was shocked again, and thought "will any of the crew survive?" It drew you that much more into it, no miraculous saves, no bringing back from the dead, the characters are mortal and can be killed, and several did.

As for what Exco said about sound in space I will have to watch it again, but from what I remember you only hear sound when you are inside the skin of the ship. Everything else is done with music, a gun fires you get a bang in the music, but no audio FX. ANyway I loaned my copy of Firefly to a friend this weekend so he could watch it, he is through disk three right now, so we will probably see it this weekend.

it seemed to dawn on them that Whedon may be willing to kill off the whole crew to tell the story. It made the whole holding action against the Reavers more intense for them because suddenly everyone was fair game.

Couldn't agree more. I love Wash's character, but his death served a powerful purpose in breaking the "only kill red shirts" mentality of sci fi series. Once Wash died, anything, theoretcially, could happen to any of them.

This movie was awesome. I wonder if it doesn't make HUGE movie money, would SciFi or Fox consider making more eps of the show. I mean, it happened with Family Guy... and it's not as though those actors aren't available.

I totally agree, DH, that was my take on it too. I feel like like this movie pretty much put a nail in the coffin for Firefly that was the series. But if Whedon is as good as he seems, he can totally pull off the introduction of new characters that bring with them baggage. With 2 people gone, there's still plenty to work with. Maybe Jayne has more to him than just being the hero of Canton. :lol:

You won't be totally clueless if you haven't seen the series, but it helps ot have watched, the beginning is written in such a way that you are brought up to speed quickly. Mostly what you will miss are the little quirks.

I think the movie did, for the most part, neatly wrap up the major storylines of the series. But, new storylines can be introduced, let's face it, now that people know that the Alliance created the Reavers, there will be Hell to pay. A second civil war could easily erupt because of that and the crew would be right there in the middle of it. That alone will give a lot of story possibilities. Plus the crew is basically on their own now, the assassin all but wiped out their support network, killing everyone who gave them shelter in the past. So there again you have stories that can be developed. They will probably have to bring on another character or two to fill the voids left by Book and Wash, and let's face it, Zoe may leave the ship, there will be a lot painful memories aboard now, especially on the bridge. I'm hopefully that we will at least get the two sequels, but I doubt we will get another series, too bad really.