Restoration

B-52 GUNNER

Does anyone know how to remove paint from a toy that was painted by a kid who was trying to make it look more accurate but ended up ruining a $100.00 collectors item.

At the time it wasn't a collectable but now that it is I would like to restore it.

What is it?

A Matchbox Legioss/Alpha Fighter

HELP ME!!

Scot :(

Pine Sol! I got an Elintseeker that someone painted red. I dissasembled it and let it soak for a few hours in Pine Sol and 99.9% of the red came off with just a little scrubbing with a toothbrush. Works on plastic and diecast, and did little damage to stickers. Make sure you wear gloves as the Pine Sol will do a number on your hands.

Pine Sol! I got an Elintseeker that someone painted red. I dissasembled it and let it soak for a few hours in Pine Sol and 99.9% of the red came off with just a little scrubbing with a toothbrush. Works on plastic and diecast, and did little damage to stickers. Make sure you wear gloves as the Pine Sol will do a number on your hands.

pine sol won't do that much to your hands, then again I work with chlorine and muriatic and sulfuric acid on a daily basis so my perspective may be skewed. You can also try "goo-gone" and a paper towel and repeated applications as it won't hurt plastic.

this does remind me though... sbarrett4.... when r u gonna sell me that ve-1 as my beer's seeker armor would surely like it. I can make it worth your while :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

pine sol won't do that much to your hands, then again I work with chlorine and muriatic and sulfuric acid on a daily basis so my perspective may be skewed. You can also try "goo-gone" and a paper towel and repeated applications as it won't hurt plastic.

this does remind me though... sbarrett4.... when r u gonna sell me that ve-1 as my beer's seeker armor would surely like it. I can make it worth your while :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Guess I have sensitive skin :unsure: My hands were peeling for a good 5 days after I tried not using gloves just once. Also, I have noticed Goo Gone will damage some softer plastics - I tried to remove paint from a G1 Sideswipe roof and wound up with a very ugly windshield from the Goo Gone "melting" the plastic. So stay away from clear plastics with that. Works great on taking off stickers from diecast and hard plastic though.

Kanata, check your PM. I have good news for you after all this time. ;)

Didn't the pine sol make the plastic brittle?

Pine Sol!  I got an Elintseeker that someone painted red.  I dissasembled it and let it soak for a few hours in Pine Sol and 99.9% of the red came off with just a little scrubbing with a toothbrush.  Works on plastic and diecast, and did little damage to stickers. Make sure you wear gloves as the Pine Sol will do a number on your hands.

Didn't the pine sol make the plastic brittle?

Only if you leave it in for too long. If I were you, I would definitely keep checking on it and not leave it soaking for more than a few hours. The type of paint will also make a difference in how well certain chemicals work.

BTW, Pine-Sol works wonders on metal parts.

I personally use Pine-Sol because that was the first one I tried and it worked.

Other chemicals that people have said work well:

-Easy-off Oven Cleaner

-Windex

-Ajax (The powdered stuff)

-Brake fluid (I know for certain this will work on the stock paint on a Jetfire, but it is VERY potent and will brittle your plastic very quickly. If you ever choose to use it, put it on a take it off as quickly as possible)

All of these, like Pine-Sol, can damage the plastic if left in them too long. Some are stronger than others, so be careful in your testing.

Has anyone tried taking the painted stripes off a 1/48? I don't really feel like experimanting and would appreciate a proven advise. Tnx...

:unsure::unsure:

I'm not brave (or rich) enough to experiment either.

I've seen a couple 1/48 customs, but most of them look like the new colors could've just been painted over the old ones (except the heatshield, of course.) I could be wrong though.

Off Topic:

:ph34r: <---I like this little bug eyed ninja

When I worked at this restaurant I had to clean the floor every night with this stuff in a big bottle that said "corrosive." I'm guessing it wasjust industrial strength equivalent of pine sol, but a coworker got it on his how and didn't bother to clean it off and it ate through the top of it. Fun stuff. <_<

For those curious, Pine Sol also works on resin. I had Appleseed kit I had painted badly. Left it in silghtly diluted pine sol and just had to brush off the paint.

Does it work on regular model plastic though?