Can we somehow limit how much can be quoted?

I would like to know if a limit to how much can be quoted from a previous post could be enforced. For instance, in the recent GI Joe review thread, the second poster quoted the entire post and only put a paragraph of comments at the end. I'm not saying that person is an idiot or anything, but if there was a limit on how much could be quoted, it wouldn't take as long to get through a thread.

Yeah. Worse is the fact that people quote an image (even after I place a disclaimer not to do so).

325899[/snapback]

I would guess it's ok to quote an image after several images has been posted after, just to reference it.

Biggest problem around here is an image is reposted even though it's already on the site itself... like the damn ThunderHammer... why do people attach that pic over and over? Can't they just post an image link? And it the same people that do it over and over.

Yeah. Worse is the fact that people quote an image (even after I place a disclaimer not to do so).

325899[/snapback]

Yea, I laugh at this too. Like we really need to see that same damn picture a hundred times in the same thread.

It appears that I'm not alone with my thoughts...

325919[/snapback]

My POV on picture quotes is A. don't quote large pics, and B. keep all the pic quoting to a single page(if it's on the same page, it doesn't take anyone's bandwidth for the extra images).

Sidenote: I saw the title and thought this was a complaint about my board-breaking omniquotes. :p

Yea, I laugh at this too. Like we really need to see that same damn picture a hundred times in the same thread.

It appears that I'm not alone with my thoughts...

325919[/snapback]

Tell me about it. Over at the MW Automotive Thread, I posted some pics and they got duplicated twice. Because of this, I backtracked and replaced the pic with another, but the two duplicate pics are still there. Good thing I posted my first set of Mustang pics as attachments instead of hosting them on my server; otherwise, all eight pics would've been duplicated at least four times, given the number of replies.

I just notcied that unlike my "Global's Pipe Holder" A1 has "Please bang anus please!!!" ?!?!?!? Is this what I have to look foward to if I post to much?!?!? :blink:

I might make the suggestion that MW has an official "we recommend these guys for hosting pics so you damn newbies don't use all our web space, Learn to use hyperlinks damnit" link on the main page or somewhere else easily visible. :rolleyes:

I might make the suggestion that MW has an official "we recommend these guys for hosting pics so you damn newbies don't use all our web space, Learn to use hyperlinks damnit" link on the main page or somewhere else easily visible.  :rolleyes:

328639[/snapback]

The impact of this would be the modelers. They love to post pics here. There should also be a size limit (anything greater than 800x600 or 1072x768, depending on your monitor resolution).

The common sense rule in this is, if you are going to post lots of pics, don't host it here. Use some image-hosting site or your own web page. But common sense escapes most people. However, this would also give the mods more work to do.

I just notcied that unlike my "Global's Pipe Holder" A1 has "Please bang anus please!!!" ?!?!?!? Is this what I have to look foward to if I post to much?!?!? :blink:

328639[/snapback]

Its from something smart I said.

Azrael, the thing you've gotta remeber is how little people like to go into another link to view pic of someone's models.... and alot of those picture sights have terrible popups and such...

330047[/snapback]

You ever heard of pop-up blocker? Most browsers come with one these days. Otherwise there are hundreds of pop-up blockers that can do the job.

We could (with lots of coding) enforce a 2ch/4chan-style image policy. After a pic has reached a certain level of bandwidth used, the image gets deleted.

Why are we suddenly so worried about server space? Last I heard, the new server had more space than we could ever conceivably use (hence our suddenly increased PM boxes).

Now, I'm not saying that this is an excuse to waste. Personally, I always use my own site to host images posted here. And, as a network admin, it irks me when I see storage space wasted.

But, until Shawn or some other authoratative person states that there is a storage crunch, I'm not sure what all the hub-bub is about. Has there been real cases of abuse?

Regarding quotes: Normally, if I know that I've been keeping up with a thread, the quotes don't bother me since I just scroll past them. Just because they're there doesn't mean you have to carefully read them. :lol:

Is it me? Or are people just sorta getting nit-picky? It's probably me. ;)

H

Why are we suddenly so worried about server space?  Last I heard, the new server had more space than we could ever conceivably use (hence our suddenly increased PM boxes).

Now, I'm not saying that this is an excuse to waste.  Personally, I always use my own site to host images posted here.  And, as a network admin, it irks me when I see storage space wasted.

330079[/snapback]

I'm not so worried about storage space as I am about bandwidth. I'd rather not see people use space here just to host images for their own site or on some other forum and will never be used here.

330079[/snapback]

I'm not so worried about storage space as I am about bandwidth. I'd rather not see people use space here just to host images for their own site or on some other forum and will never be used here.

330109[/snapback]

Ah yes! A definite no-no. My mistake. Thanks for clarifying.

H

IIRC, on these new forums every member has a terribly small limit of only 1.95mb for posting pics. If you reach that limit you either need to delete pics you have already posted to free up some space or have no choice but to use an image hosting service.

Graham

IIRC, on these new forums every member has a terribly small limit of only 1.95mb for posting pics. If you reach that limit you either need to delete pics you have already posted to free up some space or have no choice but to use an image hosting service.

Graham

330251[/snapback]

First time I used the new forums I had that posting images space limit. But suddendly my settings changed to 'unlimited space'

So it's up to what we call 'common sense' :unsure:

Guest Bromgrev

Quoting limits yes. In fact, I could live without the quote button. Kids these days, I remember when copy-and-paste was the latest cool new thing ...

Picture limits definitely no. The main reasons I come here is to drool over the pictures on the model forum. You should see the state of my keyboard.

Seems like a lot of people above in this very thread have used quoting to good effect. I didn't realize that made them homosexuals. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Are we talking about disabling quoting altogether, or at least leaving the tag functional for those who want to copy and paste manually?

Either way, this is, IMHO, a mountain out of a molehill. Even that example of "quote abuse" above didn't hurt anything. It was a small image, and only is really downloaded once by the browser.

But, to each their own. I can't imagine being bothered by it. . . but I'm bothered by a lot of things that everyone else seems to think is just fine. ;)

Though it would be somewhat sad if useful functionality was removed from the boards because it (unreasonably?) annoys a few members.

H

The issue is nested quotes. IPB already has a limitation on quotes (actually, it's a bug...). You cannot have more than 10 quotes in any given post, period.

This isn't an issue of can we limit quotes via software, it's can we enforce a policy of making people clean up their posts so that they stop filling their posts with quotes.

I'm guessing this is what the original poster wanted to stop:

Quotes Suck!

Yes

No

Yes...

The only solution is common sense. Most quoted posts have that little tiny button in the quote box called "snapback". Instead of quote after quote after quote, you could just quote the last individual and leave the snapback button in place. Again, the issue is common sense. This really isn't something we can enforce because it is a common sense issue. If you lack common sense, then perhaps you shouldn't be posting. <_<

This isn't a mod or admin issue. It's the users themselves who are abusing things. Posting large pics (i.e. greater than 1024x768 or 800x600, depending on your resolution); posting pics directly from other sites without attaching or hosting them yourself (i.e. bandwidth stealing); quoting large pieces of text with only a small reply, etc....Unless you want the mods to clamp down on this... ;):(

No, what I'm getting at is when someone posts a review that takes up about two screen lengths on a 19" monitor at 1024x768 screen area, and then another poster quotes the entire review when they really only needed to disect a sentence or two, and then someone quotes the quoter who took up all that space and doesn't delete the original review that was replied to, thus giving us three or more of the exact same review in full length.

The issue is nested quotes. IPB already has a limitation on quotes (actually, it's a bug...). You cannot have more than 10 quotes in any given post, period.

This isn't an issue of can we limit quotes via software, it's can we enforce a policy of making people clean up their posts so that they stop filling their posts with quotes.

Quotes Suck!

Yes

No

Yes...

The only solution is common sense. Most quoted posts have that little tiny button in the quote box called "snapback". Instead of quote after quote after quote, you could just quote the last individual and leave the snapback button in place. Again, the issue is common sense. This really isn't something we can enforce because it is a common sense issue. If you lack common sense, then perhaps you shouldn't be posting. <_<

This isn't a mod or admin issue. It's the users themselves who are abusing things. Posting large pics (i.e. greater than 1024x768 or 800x600, depending on your resolution); posting pics directly from other sites without attaching or hosting them yourself (i.e. bandwidth stealing); quoting large pieces of text with only a small reply, etc....Unless you want the mods to clamp down on this... ;):(

330703[/snapback]

Here is a perfect example. In my previous post, all I wanted to do was reply in regards to the one single sentence.

In this, much more annoying reply, I quoted your entire post along with all of the quotes that you put in it only make a point about the same senetence.

As I said....

...quoting large pieces of text with only a small reply...

Again, this is a common sense issue. What do you want the mods and admins to do? Edit every waste of space they can? We need more mods then. I doubt the mods want to sit here and skim through all of that wasted space.

Who said anything about having the mods read and edit every post? You can forget about common sense, becuase quite frankly not everyone has it. All I'm saying is that maybe there can be a quoting limit to around 50 words. You don't need to quote two pages of material if you're only replying to 20 words.

Hell, maybe it can be set up to where if someone quotes a person who posted a picture it would automatically use a hyperlink rather than the full image.

Or maybe we, as users, could just politely point out to the worst offenders what they are doing. And they could edit their posts.

But again, if I see superfluous, long quotes, I scroll down. Problem solved. :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My POV on picture quotes is A. don't quote large pics, and B. keep all the pic quoting to a single page(if it's on the same page, it doesn't take anyone's bandwidth for the extra images).

325920[/snapback]

Can somebody say, "hypocrite" around here? How do you explain your quoting of Roy's Blues' image of his Motoko figures (1524 x 2032 and nearly 800KB in size) on page 4 of the "Show off your coolest non-Macross toys & models" thread, when the pic was posted on page 1?

Can somebody say, "hypocrite" around here? How do you explain your quoting of Roy's Blues' image of his Motoko figures (1524 x 2032 and nearly 800KB in size) on page 4 of the "Show off your coolest non-Macross toys & models" thread, when the pic was posted on page 1?

344751[/snapback]

OMFG! That's horrible! BURN HIM! BUUUUUURN HIM!

H