Macross / Robotech episode 1 CG progress

Jay-Lew

On a carrier deck.

Loved the shot, but something was bugging me about it and then I figured it out.

There is no shadow underside the nose or the cockpit of the fighter so it seems a bit out of place, as if it were bottom lit or something.

The composite work is pretty amazing though... ;)

Edited by Zinjo

mmm, you're right.

When I get home from work I'll get right on it and edit the fixed pic into the post.

This was my last one for now. Wouldn't want to completely hijack Jay's thread.

The renders that Jay made should get their own thread so people can create nice pics with 'm. The possibilities are endless!

mmm, you're right.

When I get home from work I'll get right on it and edit the fixed pic into the post.

This was my last one for now. Wouldn't want to completely hijack Jay's thread.

The renders that Jay made should get their own thread so people can create nice pics with 'm. The possibilities are endless!

421480[/snapback]

you need to deform the wheels a little as well so they look like they're responding to the weight of the valk... you should start your own thread (with permission from Jay).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all! Sorry that I haven't been able to do any updates lately, unfortunatly, my artwork has taken a back seat to life wich has become INSANELY busy over the last few months! I'm hoping to have time to get back to it here in a month or two. I will let you all know as soon as I get back to it. Thanks again for all the positive feedback and support! I've been seeing alot of really good stuff popping up here on the forums lately, keep up the great work all of you! I'll be rejoining you here some time soon.

Thanks!

Jason

• 2 months later...

Great job man,I like this SDF-1, your modeling skill is amazing, you have thought do papercraft?

have seen this software http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en

it allows you to take 3DS models and import them to make papercraft models.

I am sure that you will do a fine job creating a papercraft model of SDF-1!!

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&id=38222

• 3 weeks later...

Jason -

Your work on the SDF-1 and VF-1A are absolutely phenomenal. Keep up the excellent work. One question - realizing that you've gone well beyond this stage already, I still can't help wondering if the "shoulder/wing" sections of the SDF-1 are a bit too small. I know you spent time tweaking the proportions and everything, but they almost look too small to hold the Daedalus and Prometheus running straight back without clipping into the aft/leg sections of the SDF-1. This is nitpicking on an absolutely stunning model, but I thought I'd mention it nonetheless.

I'll also distance myself a bit from some of the crowd here and say that the original series SDF-1 and Valkyrie cockpit look a whole lot better to me than the DYRL versions. I know you're working from the series, so this isn't an issue, but I'm still really glad you're using the series versions. The DYRL versions look, for lack of a better word, crusty to me, as opposed to the sleek, clean originals.

Jason -

Your work on the SDF-1 and VF-1A are absolutely phenomenal. Keep up the excellent work. One question - realizing that you've gone well beyond this stage already, I still can't help wondering if the "shoulder/wing" sections of the SDF-1 are a bit too small. I know you spent time tweaking the proportions and everything, but they almost look too small to hold the Daedalus and Prometheus running straight back without clipping into the aft/leg sections of the SDF-1. This is nitpicking on an absolutely stunning model, but I thought I'd mention it nonetheless.

I'll also distance myself a bit from some of the crowd here and say that the original series SDF-1 and Valkyrie cockpit look a whole lot better to me than the DYRL versions. I know you're working from the series, so this isn't an issue, but I'm still really glad you're using the series versions. The DYRL versions look, for lack of a better word, crusty to me, as opposed to the sleek, clean originals.

To each their own... ;)

Im right there with you! Series designs all the way! Im jonzin to see more of jay's sdf-1 fleshed out.

By the way, I really liked what I saw of this building too. I like the curves and what looks like a helipad on top. Did you remove it? I don't see it in the last set of pictures.

I also like how in this picture the shorter buildings help break up the space between the skyscrapers. Even though most of the buildings are less detailed I think it is better spacing wise.

Carl

Isn't that the Dubai Hotel from the United Arab Emirates used in one of the pics of South Ataria Isle?

Edited by ZenZephyr

There are a number of real-world buildings scattered about, including the Empire State Building, Sears Tower, and the Petronas Tower. I just assumed they were there for size reference.

I built them a long time ago, had them just sitting around. THought it would be fun to just throw them in!

:)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

DUDE. That stuff is awesome. Totally freaking awesome. I've been killing myself trying to model a VF-1s cockpit for a music video I'm doing, and I come here and see that somebody has it LOCKED DOWN WITH PURE AWESOMENESS and it makes me both extremely happy, and a little sad inside. Tell me somebody hired you to work on the Robotech movie. Please. Then maybe it might have some authentic macrossness to it.

Edited by chillyche

I'm just wondering about your title for this thread.

Would you be able to composite your cgi models back into sdf tv episode 1?

That would be so cool!

Then we could all see an example of a modernized SDF tv series.

Great job on the cgi sdf-1 and vf!

• 1 month later...

Howdy all! It's been a while since I have visited this site. My Macross project has been on hold for quite a while. Unfortunatly, life, work, and my somewhat limited attention span have conspired against me to impede my CG work. I've been working on other CG projects as well. Although, recently I was going through all my half-finished models and renders, and working on mustering the ambition to start finishing some of them, including some of my Macross stuff, so I'm hoping I'll get back to finishing my VF-1's and my SDF-1 / Macross island models here in the next few months. I was working on my VF-1 when I left off, and I got about half-way done mapping the cockpit. Here is my VF-1 as it stands right now ( I may have sent this one out already, but not sure, so if you all ahve seen it already, my apologies ) All the exterior details are mapped, landing gear, missles, extranious details etc. And the you can see from this render that some of the cockpit is done as well.

I will let everyone know when I get back to it.

post-3050-1208197472_thumb.jpg

Wow!

I hope you find the time to do more Macross CGI.

"Capt. J. L. Man Muffin"? That's a manly name. lol

You realize that's Jay-Lew right there right? ;)

Dude, I love the Vf-1 cannon fodder >_< man I'd love to see my name on something like that.