What's up with Top Gun and Mac Plus?

grss1982

Just saw a couple of macross inspired AMVs from animemusicvideos.org. B))

After watching the videos it got me wondering, why most of the videos use the Top Gun song, highway to dangerzone or whatever its title is and even the top gun anthem as an intro or end to their macross inspired amv's. [[ Oh yeah when i mean use the song, i mean use them to death, there are more macross amvs using the top gun songs in the site. :ph34r: ]] Heck one of the makers even had these inserted to the tune of the top gun anthem:

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

g.jpg

What's up with them, why the MACROSS PLUS + tomcat.gif Music = COOL? :unsure:

When there are other cool songs to use [hint: Information High AMV from German macross site], right?

BTW check out the site: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/home/home.php, u might like some of the videos. ;) and what was the addres of the german macross site, i really had a hard time using google. <_<

6_15_21.gif

Edited by grss1982

So Maverick and Goose flipped off Isamu in that video? Haha!

Check out this one if you like electronica. I'm not sure if this is the original name or the name I renamed it, but if you search for it at AMV.org it should show up...

Macross Plus Reflection - Dune - Electric Heaven.mpg

The answer is simple, people have no imagination..

323338[/snapback]

I'm inclined to agree with this statement. Most of the Macross AMVs I've seen (this is back in the day though) were unoriginal and kinda dull. They all used M+ and all had that same theme (fighters and planes). The first was okay, then when all of them started to look the same.....

If memory serves me correctly, on the back of the old M+ boxes they wrote something like it's the Japanese equivalent of Top Gun. :rolleyes: Maybe it's an unconscious thing.

My dad used to watch Top Gun all the time, hence I watched it too. I dunno, M+ and Top Gun... Maveric and Isamu are reckless dicks, but that's about all the similarities I see.

323338[/snapback]

I'm inclined to agree with this statement. Most of the Macross AMVs I've seen (this is back in the day though) were unoriginal and kinda dull. They all used M+ and all had that same theme (fighters and planes). The first was okay, then when all of them started to look the same.....

323351[/snapback]

I was thinking the other direction. People think Top Gun misic has to have jets, and MacPlus has the best jets.

323338[/snapback]

323351[/snapback]

I was thinking the other direction. People think Top Gun misic has to have jets, and MacPlus has the best jets.

323420[/snapback]

I wasn't referring to Top Gun music with M+ footage, just Macross AMVs in general. I have yet to find a decent Macross AMV...but I stopped looking years ago.

323338[/snapback]

323351[/snapback]

323420[/snapback]

I wasn't referring to Top Gun music with M+ footage, just Macross AMVs in general. I have yet to find a decent Macross AMV...but I stopped looking years ago.

323435[/snapback]

Either way, though, itl's a lack of imagination. Be it Top Gun AMVs or Macross AMVs.

You'd be surprised how much popular culture influences the general population.

I remember when LA Law was the number 1 show on TV, during that period, law schools around the country had record number of applicants. I knew a guy applying to medical school about a decade back, and all he could say was "fart ER" Because ER was huge and lots of folks who might have shifted into something else like dentistry wanted to be George Clooney. Hence alot of people were applying to medical school back then.

Top Gun spawned a whole generation of kids who grew up and wanted to be pilots. Just like CSI has caused a record number of applicants to crime labs around the country. ( For a shitty unglamourous job where you scrape a dead guys brains off the wall, that TV show has really made that field look somewhat decent looking. Trust me, I've seen it up close and its a poo job no matter how many hot chicks they shove on that TV show. )

I knew about that, actually.

The music just doesn't bring you back to the movie, it brings you back to the time period, the way things were back then, the kind of things you remember when you wre younger. Nostalgia sells, and frankly Macross is virtually unknown to alot of people out there so you gotta get Kenny Loggins screaming into a microphone.

People are sheep. The real trick is teaching a sheep how to open his wallet.

323463[/snapback]

I don't see how this connects to FAN-MADE MUSIC VIDEOS.

So Maverick and Goose flipped off Isamu in that video?  Haha!

Check out this one if you like electronica.  I'm not sure if this is the original name or the name I renamed it, but if you search for it at AMV.org it should show up...

Macross Plus Reflection - Dune - Electric Heaven.mpg

323341[/snapback]

There are other great ones as well PAT S,

Like:

macross zero - action.mpg = some unknown artist i never heard before with macross zero footage [highly recommended] ;)

Macross Black.mpg = macross zero footage + that song made papular in vietnam war drama "tour of duty"

burntoast - macross forever.mpg = uses foo fighters music, i think titles everlong +macross zero footage

Macross Black.mpg = macross zero footage + that song made papular in vietnam war drama "tour of duty"

323488[/snapback]

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but I found this really funny, considering the topic of many of the replies in this thread. I think you mean "macross zero footage + The Rolling Stones' classic Paint It Black, which has been called by critics 'one of the most influential tracks of the 20th century' and was reportedly one of the most popular songs with soldiers fighting in the Vietnam War, and used in almost every movie, television show, afterschool special, or videogame about that war for the following 40 years."

I never heard of "Tour of Duty", even though I was around 13 then. I had to look it up on IMDB. I guess if it was on for 3 seasons, though, it must have been somewhat popular. But I think the song reached its peak of popularity 20 years before then.

That does make me think, though- do all of the teenagers and college students making AMVs even know what Top Gun was, or do they just know "Danger Zone" is "the jet fighter song"?

That does make me think, though- do all of the teenagers and college students making AMVs even know what Top Gun was, or do they just know "Danger Zone" is "the jet fighter song"?

323503[/snapback]

Probably the latter.

323515[/snapback]

The train of thought probably goes: "Top Gun" was that movie about a bunch of pilots and jets, right? "Danger Zone" was a song from that movie. So images of jets must go well with that song.

323503[/snapback]

Probably the latter.

323515[/snapback]

The train of thought probably goes: "Top Gun" was that movie about a bunch of pilots and jets, right? "Danger Zone" was a song from that movie. So images of jets must go well with that song.

323524[/snapback]

Someone should apply the logic in reverse. Top Gun footage to Information High.

Like:

macross zero - action.mpg = some unknown artist i never heard before with macross zero footage [highly recommended]  ;)

burntoast - macross forever.mpg = uses foo fighters music, i think titles everlong +macross zero footage

323488[/snapback]

I'll check those out. I also reeeeaaalllly liked one that used Cake's "The Distance", but I can't find it on Anime Music Videos dot org. This one matched the lyrics up with Macross Plus, and it was pretty entertaining.

Like:

macross zero - action.mpg = some unknown artist i never heard before with macross zero footage [highly recommended]  ;)

323488[/snapback]

I'll check those out. I also reeeeaaalllly liked one that used Cake's "The Distance", but I can't find it on Anime Music Videos dot org. This one matched the lyrics up with Macross Plus, and it was pretty entertaining.

323548[/snapback]

Hey, i have that one on my office PC, <_< "he going the distnace, he's going for speed.......". BTW, U cant find it in animemusicvideos.org, bcoz its in that macross german site:

http://www.unspacy.de/, sites temprarily unavailable though. :angry:

its saturday here in 6_15_21.gif, so see you next week on office hours. ;) OUT!!!!

Edited by grss1982

BTW before i go, the series of pics i posted at the begining of the page belongs to a animemusicvideos.org AMV maker. :ph34r: Its quite good even though its uses TOP GUN music. :rolleyes: In fact i'd even say that its the best among the top gun-theme macross AMVs in the site. :unsure: Anyways title of that song is "skyfire amv productions - need for speed.mpg" ;) check it out u might like it. B))

When there are other cool songs to use [hint: Information High AMV from German macross site], right?

is that the video where the author condensed M+ to fit in with Info High song time?

323715[/snapback]

yep, thats the one. have it on my office PC and listening to it right now. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to bump this thread up. ;)

Anyway for those looking for the "information high" AMV take a look at my sig. B))

Sorry about using megaupload, i don't know any other hosting site.

EDIT: two more song added. ENJOY!!! ;)

Edited by grss1982

Just saw a couple of macross inspired AMVs from animemusicvideos.org. B)) 

After watching the videos it got me wondering, why most of the videos use the Top Gun song, highway to dangerzone or whatever its title is and even the top gun anthem as an intro or end to their macross inspired amv's. [[ Oh yeah when i mean use the song, i mean use them to death, there are more macross amvs using the top gun songs in the site. :ph34r: ]] Heck one of the makers even had these inserted to the tune of the top gun anthem:

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

g.jpg

What's up with them, why the MACROSS PLUS + tomcat.gif Music = COOL?  :unsure: 

BTW check out the site: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/home/home.php, u might like some of the videos.  ;)  and what was the addres of the german macross site, i really had a hard time using google. <_< 

6_15_21.gif

323270[/snapback]

I have seen the video, and I loved it.

Can't download right now, but is that "Bring me to life" one feature that Evanesence song? I know my date would just love that for Saturday night!

BTW thanks for posting these cool links in your sig. They are quite novel to me. I guess I will get sick fo them like the other boys soon. :rolleyes::)

Edited by kensei

I quite frankly don't get anime music videos or any fan made music video but a TV. I was at a Star Trek convention in 1992 (was a STNG fan) and they played this music video with current music or classic with images of the characters. I thought it too be very lame. I think the same thing about anime music videos too. Doesn't the anime, TV or Movie already come with it's own music? Do we really need some boob making a video?

Just wanted to bump this thread up.  ;)

Anyway for those looking for the "information high" AMV take a look at my sig.  B))

Sorry about using megaupload, i don't know any other hosting site.

EDIT: two more song added. ENJOY!!!  ;)

332145[/snapback]

Thanks for posting these links. The AMVs here are pretty damn good!

"Information High" has to be my favorite track from Macross Plus.

The only problem: They are soooooo slow about downloading.

Can't download right now, but is that "Bring me to life" one feature that Evanesence song? I know my date would just love that for Saturday night!

BTW thanks for posting these cool links in your sig. They are quite novel to me. I guess I will get sick fo them like the other boys soon.  :rolleyes:  :)

333502[/snapback]

Yeah, thats the one. It also uses macross zero footage. ;) ENJOY! :lol:

I have seen the video, and I loved it.

333493[/snapback]

Glad u liked it. ;)

Thanks for posting these links. The AMVs here are pretty damn good!

"Information High" has to be my favorite track from Macross Plus.

The only problem: They are soooooo slow about downloading.

333598[/snapback]

Your Welcome. :D

I'm really sorry about the choice of hosting site. I reallt downt know another site that wil host something as big as 100MB that easy to use. megaupload is actually as easy as using imageshack to host images all you do is locate the file u want to upload from your PC, give it a description and then let it rip.

Edited by grss1982

Kensei: understood. I might just remove that one still have aty least 5 more songs here to upload, but i dont know if there any good.

It might take a while to upload he last 5 but i'll try my damndest to have them online this week. :lol:

No mate, it's just my opinion, listen to others first.

Action was pretty good by the way, as well as the Learn to Fly one, and there not even my music.

I am going to buy a laptop and a treadmill at the end of the year, good motivating music to run to. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...