Wierd anime title request

Well after coming from Otakon this year I saw something that stirred a long repressed memory in me of seeing a wierd anime a long, long, long time ago when I was much smaller. The reason I remeber this is that on a generic AMV I saw, it featured a quick clip of a train flying throuhg the sky.

Now, if I remeber correctly, it would have been sometime in the late 1970's or early 1980's. It featured a train that would fly through the sky. It collected peoples souls that died I think. And I am pretty sure it featured a little boy whose mother died and he has to take this train to find her soul (?)

I know this is a long shot, but if any one has a clue, let me know---

Well after coming from Otakon this year I saw something that stirred a long repressed memory in me of seeing a wierd anime a long, long, long time ago when I was much smaller.  The reason I remeber this is that on a generic AMV I saw, it featured a quick clip of a train flying throuhg the sky. 

Now,  if I remeber correctly, it would have been sometime in the late 1970's or early 1980's.  It featured a train that would fly through the sky.  It collected peoples souls that died I think.  And I am pretty sure it featured a little boy whose mother died and he has to take this train to find her soul (?) 

I know this is a long shot, but if any one has a clue, let me know---

322153[/snapback]

Easy. Galaxy Express 999.

Main characters: Maetel and Tetsuro.

Edited by Project Phoenix

Definately Galaxy Express 999, what you're specifically remembering are the movies:

-Galaxy Express 999

&

-Adieu Galaxy Express 999: Final Station Andromeda

There was also a 110 some episode TV series that predated the movies, but it's fairly hard to come by, unfortunately only 36 episodes have been released on HK DVD.

The movies are much easier, though conditionally so. If you have a DVD player capable of playing multiple regions (i.e. u.s. releases are R1, Japanese & European R2), then go over to www.DVDAsian.com Run a search for Galaxy Express 999, and you'll see 3 listings. There's a box set with both films together, that catch again being that the first film is encoded for Region 3. If you don't have a region switchable player, then go for the second movie (it's R1 compatible). It's got great english subtitles, so there's no problem viewing the film.

And of course if you enjoyed these movies, you may also want to pick up:

-Galaxy Railways (first volume was just released by Funimation) -R1

-Space Pirate Captain Herlock (Harlock) Endless Odyssey: Outside Legend -R1

-Arcadia Of My Youth -R1

-Cosmo Warrior Zero -R1

-Gun Frontier -R1

-Harlock Saga -R1

-Maetel Legend -R1

-Space Cruiser Yamato (available on HK DVD)

-Space Cruiser Yamato Movie Box -R1

-Interstella 5555 -R1

Edited by Keith

Wow, thanks guys.

I am definately going to pick that up and see it again. It was the very first anime I ever saw (probably at age 7 or so) and it still sticks back in the crevices of my memory. It will be interesting to see it again after 25 years and to see if it was as cool as I remembered it being as a child.

Actually, the train collecting dead souls anime is called "Night on the Galactic Railroad."  Galaxy Express is a completely different show.

322289[/snapback]

You know, I actually haven't gotten around to seeing that yet, but Galaxy Express is awesome none the less ;)