The OTAKON Post-Convention Thread

First of all, this was my first time going to this convention. After standing out in the god-awful rain for almost an hour (because I was too stupid to get my badge the day before), me and my posse of schoolgirls finally made it in and had a great time. I wish I could have met some of you guys at the Macross Panel, but time dictated I had to get my whiny cluster of 15 and 16 year-olds home because they started bitching at about 6:00. Tomorrow I am going with my girlfriend and not playing chaperone.

I know there is going to be stories and photos, so I started this thread so everyone can post what they did. My most exciting part of the day was unearthing a cel of Jung Freud from one of the vendors down in the dealer area, and this was just as I was about to leave. I also saw what I considered to be worse than man-Faye, that is I saw a 60 year-old guy dressed up as Excel from Excel Saga, with matching hair, dress, and Menchi. If someone got a picture of this travesty, share it.

I really enjoyed the macross panel @ Otakon. I'll definitely be there next year to give my support. I was very disappointed that no one was cosplaying as macross characters. I saw one person that was dressed as Isamu Dyson from plus, but that was it. I'm definitely going to make a macros costume for next years con.

There actually was a Minmay cosplayer at the panel. Lone Wolf made it his duty to take pics of her!

To me, the con sucked. There were literally three panels I was genuinely interested in. It was more disorganized than it should be and the Dealer's room was dissapointing. Only thing that made it memorable were the people I met (valkyrietestpilot knows who I'm talking about!).

The dealer room was kind of disappointing. Only got to get one HCM Pro, the Nemo. HLJ only had a couple types, and no one else had ANY from what I saw, except one small table that had the same one HLJ had. Some of the staff manaing the line to get in there were kind of jerks too.

One plus was HLJ had the Bubblegum Crisis figures for $40. Not bad at all. Got a Priss. Probably should have got Linna at that price too, but oh well. The overall selection of stuff at the dealer room was pretty much standard stuff. I got lucky with Priss too because the HLJ people said they didn't have anymore BGC figures, yet I stopped in there again later on and they had two of each. <_< 40 was a good deal though.

Got some nice cosplay pics. I'll put them in the mega cosplay thread at AP later on. I forgot my camera on saturday so I missed out on some pics then, but did ok.

The only panels I went to were the Macross panel and the "I can't believe..." obscure anime panel on sunday. Other than that I spent my time in the 35mm room fri-sat and saw f91 and otaku no video on sunday.

The 35mm room was cool. I didn't know they were giving Howl's Moving Castle on sunday though until it was an hour into it so I missed out.

Not a bad experience (first con), if I go next year it depends on what's playing.

Edited by Anubis

I ended up catching the tail end of the macross panel, but I did see the DRYL Minmay Cosplayer. I actually thought this year was better then last year, primarily due to the fact that I was actually able to get into the panels I wanted to unlike last year. What I did find amusing though was that there was actually a line, to get into the line for the dealers room on Friday. I was also able to score some not yet released material thanks to a buddy of mine who works within the industry which is always a bonus. One thing I did notice was the complete lack of any 1/48 scale valks. HLJ had a variable monster going for the normal price of $130 which went pretty quickly. Also nobody had the valkyries artbook which was dissapointing. The one thing I noticed this year, was the number of booths selling Airsoft guns, and swords I think I counted about 9 or 10 different vendors.

Rob :ph34r:

Otakon's over. It was last Friday-Sunday at the Baltimore Convention Center.

The scariest costume I saw was a guy dessed as Cammy complete with fake boobs.

I did see a really good Tenjou Tenge group. They were sitting making a puzzle so I didn't bug them. Several Inu Yasha groups. There were a lot of Gothic Lolita girls and Chi cosplayers. Scores of Full Metal Alchemist people. A few of good Winry's too. There some Gundam Seed people scattered around. Saw them from the escalator taking a goup picture but they dispersed before I could get a shot. Few Zaft uniforms, couple Kira and Lacuses. Only saw one Zeon guy. This one girl had a funny mushroom costume. One person had their kid dressed up as the kid from Paranoia Agent, complete with bent bat.

I saw a copy of the Miyatake Design Works in one booth. I did not see a single 1/48 valk in there. Saw a couple of 1st version VF-11's.

There did seem to be an awful lot of weapon and airsoft dealers. Some of the sword qualities were spotty.

Edited by Anubis

This one girl had a funny mushroom costume.

The girl with the funny mushroom costume was from Maple Story. It's a free online mmorpg from korea. There were actually a few people dressed as characters from that game. I was kinda dissapointed in the selection of macross products. I did pick a 1/100 VF-1S and VF-1A model kits for $5 a piece since i didn't have them yet. Hopefully next year will be more fruitful.

I saw an Isamu cosplayer, he was at the panel. I also saw a Sara cosplayer in the dealer's room, as well as Minmay that came to our panel.

TheLoneWolf got pics of a Basara and Mylene, and I of course, had my custom Gubaba on my shoulder whenever I had my backpack on. One of the dealers pointed him out from like 20 feet away, and shouted 'Is that a Gubaba!!!!??"

Gubaba was also quite the chick magnet, I had a bunch of cutie chicks approach me with "He's so cute, can I pet him?" :lol:

I started ordering styrene foam so that i can try to make a battroid cosplay costume for next year. I haven't figured out which model i should build though. Wether I should go with the VF-1A, VF-1S or one of the other models. Let me know what you guys think.[\Font]