Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

Both of those cels are from the Saturn and PS1 DYRL games.

Ah it is then. Thanks TheLoneWolf. I guessed that the Minmei cel was from the PS1 game as well but like I said, I couldn't find it in any of the YouTube videos I watched so I wasn't sure. Thanks again.

I might end up focusing on cels this year at the AX and SDCC. I haven't bought a cel in a while. Good job on all the cels here guys. That'd be cool if all of us were able to get all the cels from DYRL and we can combine all the cels to make the movie again! ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

I have added two new cels to the collection. Both are fan cels but are of the utmost quality. It is my understanding that the Max and Miriya cel is taken from some magazine artwork (the Misa is obviously from Flashback). I have been unable to find any images of the appropriate magazine. Has anyone seen it before? Can you point me in the right direction please?

post-3622-1212347911_thumb.jpg

post-3622-1212347922_thumb.jpg

Thats fan art? Looks distinctively Mikimoto.

I think he said fan cels, not fan art. Meaning the fans just made that image into a cel.

• 2 weeks later...
I have added two new cels to the collection. Both are fan cels but are of the utmost quality. It is my understanding that the Max and Miriya cel is taken from some magazine artwork (the Misa is obviously from Flashback). I have been unable to find any images of the appropriate magazine. Has anyone seen it before? Can you point me in the right direction please?

Hey Mokman, check out the joon bibles I think I saw the max original hanken image in there and if that doesn't have it, check MacMemories too. I KNOW I've seen that in one of the many books I have in storage.

I haven't been here in a while but wanted to share a few new additions to my collection. Some of you may have seen these cels recently posted and sold on Yahoo! Japan Auction. My favorite is the 2nd to last Misa cel.

Wow. Really, really nice. Is the second to last Misa cel you mention from the sequence in Ai Wa Nagareru where she is rescued from the Grand Cannon?

It is a hanken cel that was drawn by Mikimoto himself for inclusion in the second Animedia Photo pack that Gakken released. Below is parts from the first phot pack:

animedia_idol_photopack1.jpg

Edited by Totoro242

It's actually a scene from DYRL if I recall correctly.

Right, it's during the scene where Hikaru chooses Misa over Minmay, instead of chasing after the later. Misa's DYRL vs. TV design is quite a bit more distinct than most other characters. Compare the last two Misa cels valkyrie13 posted to the first one posted; you should be able to discern a difference.

As for the Max and Millia hanken, here's the douga for it (Mokman's already seen this):

maxmilialj1.jpg

There was a cel of Hikaru in the cockpit of a valk from the opening sequence that just sold last week. I wonder if an MWs won it from Yahoo! Japan. I would've broke the bank bidding on it as I used to do but alas I must save...

There was a cel of Hikaru in the cockpit of a valk from the opening sequence that just sold last week. I wonder if an MWs won it from Yahoo! Japan. I would've broke the bank bidding on it as I used to do but alas I must save...

That was one cel that I wanted but did not win that week. I bid for it but did not realize I was outbid until it was too late. Well, you can't win'em all!

Those are some nice additions valkyie13. Do you have an RS account? If not you should create one! PM if you need to know more. :)

Thanks. I don't have a RS account but I will create one once things let up at work. I am expecting July or August. :rolleyes:^ ^

Most of my cels (but not all) are all posted on this thread. Perhaps you could help me upload them to RS?

Thanks. I don't have a RS account but I will create one once things let up at work. I am expecting July or August. :rolleyes:^ ^

Most of my cels (but not all) are all posted on this thread. Perhaps you could help me upload them to RS?

Rubberslug galleries are quite easy to make and fast, depending on how much time you want to spend adding text and banners and playing with the colors. There is no website design skills necessary to do it. It is all form based with drop down boxes for most of the options. You just fill in the text info you want in the appropriate fields and upload a scan of your cel and away you go. It shouldn't take you more than a minute per cel to add it to an established gallery once you get the hang of it. I am in the Rubberslug chat room most nights if you find you need help with something.

Rubberslug galleries are quite easy to make and fast, depending on how much time you want to spend adding text and banners and playing with the colors. There is no website design skills necessary to do it. It is all form based with drop down boxes for most of the options. You just fill in the text info you want in the appropriate fields and upload a scan of your cel and away you go. It shouldn't take you more than a minute per cel to add it to an established gallery once you get the hang of it. I am in the Rubberslug chat room most nights if you find you need help with something.

Thanks for the tip. I do appreciate it. It's just that lately, I barely have time to catch up on sleep due to work. I think I slept for a total of 15 hours this week. So, end of July it is....

Hi,

Im new to this forum but thought I'd give it a try. I have been collecting cels for 15 years and have built up a rather large collection.

I am a private collecter of 80's animation cels. I saw a few Voltron cels on the forum and thought I'd join.

Im always looking for new additions ....these are but a few of my favorites:

1) Dungeons & Dragons Marvel

2) Transformers Marvel

3) GI Joe Sunbow

4) Volton

5) The Last Unicorn,The Hobbit,The Return of the King ,The Flight of Dragons, TigerSharks

Let me know if you collect...if so what 1980s series?

If you wish you can email me direct, you can do so at guardiansofgood@gmail.com.

thanks

Frank

RS Gallery

http://guardians.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

• 1 month later...

Now that Anime Expo and Comic Con are behind us, anyone find any treasures that they would like to share with us all? I didn't go to either con myself. A friend of mine did find a cel for me though at Comic Con from the Canadian show Rock & Rule. I will post it in my Rubberslug gallery once I get it.

Hi,

Im new to this forum but thought I'd give it a try. I have been collecting cels for 15 years and have built up a rather large collection.

I am a private collecter of 80's animation cels. I saw a few Voltron cels on the forum and thought I'd join.

Im always looking for new additions ....these are but a few of my favorites:

1) Dungeons & Dragons Marvel

2) Transformers Marvel

3) GI Joe Sunbow

4) Volton

5) The Last Unicorn,The Hobbit,The Return of the King ,The Flight of Dragons, TigerSharks

Let me know if you collect...if so what 1980s series?

If you wish you can email me direct, you can do so at guardiansofgood@gmail.com.

thanks

Frank

RS Gallery

http://guardians.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

AMAZING!

Now that Anime Expo and Comic Con are behind us, anyone find any treasures that they would like to share with us all? I didn't go to either con myself. A friend of mine did find a cel for me though at Comic Con from the Canadian show Rock & Rule. I will post it in my Rubberslug gallery once I get it.

Not sure if they're exactly treasures but here's just a couple of Macross 7 cels that my husband and I picked up at AX this year.

We also got a couple of Mosepeada (Rei and Mint), a couple of Goldenboy cels, and a Jubei Ninja Scroll one. I've been collecting various cels since 2002 (Rurouni Kenshi, Fushigi Yuugi, YuYu Hakusho, Inuyasha, etc), just buying a few here and there. I got a DYRL Roy Fokker and a nice closeup of Hikaru (DYRL) back during AX2003. :) I just wish I could get a hold of cels like some of the beautiful DYRL Minmay and Misa ones that I've seen throughout this thread! Well without draining my bank account! ;)

post-9311-1217367246_thumb.jpg

post-9311-1217367262_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reflex Point

Well without draining my bank account! ;)

Lol, that is always the key. There is a very nice Minmei on Yahoo Japan auctions at the moment. The seller had it listed previously with a buy out price of $1.5k if I remember correctly but it didn't sell. So it is on regular auction now, current bidding around $300. I expect it will see allot more action before the auction is done.

Lol, that is always the key. There is a very nice Minmei on Yahoo Japan auctions at the moment. The seller had it listed previously with a buy out price of $1.5k if I remember correctly but it didn't sell. So it is on regular auction now, current bidding around $300. I expect it will see allot more action before the auction is done.

I am keeping my tabs on it. I was quite surprised to see it offered with a starting bid of JPY10,000 (so low after it was offered with a starting bid of JPY150,000 last week). The seller may actually be smart to do this and get multiple bidders to drive up the price. I remember seeing that cel pop up and get snatched for a little over JPY100,000 2~3 years ago. Let's see how that one does this time. Well, if I don't win that one, I am not too disappointed since I have a similar cel that is about 1 or 2 shots around that one.

There is also a nice FB2012 cel that is up for auction too.

Amazing cell collections everyone has! :) Can someone please tell me how these cells eventuate, like, where do they come from, the creator's let some go or what? I'd like to know for the purpose of 'truly' appreciating/undertanding what i'm seeing here, other than their outstanding beauty and sweetness.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Some of Macross TV and DYRL cels were given to the employees as gifts, some of the higher end cels and gengas are owned by the studio or the lead character designer themselves and eventually find their way to the secondary market. Some overseas collectors do sell them or trade them away over time as their priorities shift. In recent years particularly there has been less high end cels but a steady flow of lower end B and C grade cels. Also historically since the late 80s and 90s collectors and dealers alike sought out the original series and movie cels since they are rarer and arguably have better character designs and value.