Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

Nice collection. I'm surprised you didn't get that Minmay pan cel. It would be perfect for your collection.

I find myself appreciating the genga more these days.

For some reason, if I get a cel, I'm fine with the cel alone. But if I were to get a genga or douga by itself. I would go crazy looking for the cel. I guess that's OCD or something.

But I do love the strong lines on sketches. It's something that never ceases to amaze me. I would probably get a Mikimoto sketch if it was from a favorite scene.

Another cel collector LWK shared his storage hack that works best with Itoya 11 x 14 portfolios. A creative space saver if you don't have a large closet or access to a storage unit. Be careful when stacking multiple bins. Also pay attention to the location where these are stored (avoid windows) because heat and moisture are still concerns. Good luck!

post-2727-0-26264300-1470333774_thumb.jpg

post-2727-0-01136400-1470333786_thumb.jpg

It's been a while since I signed in and sorry for not responding to your text earlier Fortress_Maximus.

I for one have not quit collecting cels, but with all of the stuff going on in my life right now, it is on an indefinite hold and I simply did not have the time or the peace of mind to resume. However, the collection of cels I have right now are indeed my personal property #1.

Edited by valkyrie13

They seem to have another one of these back up for auction on YJ.

Also there are some very expensive Macross TV cels up. The highest I've ever seen for starting prices. I need to look over them more tonight. A few weeks ago there were some more very cheap cels that I think were fakes.

They seem to have another one of these back up for auction on YJ.

Also there are some very expensive Macross TV cels up. The highest I've ever seen for starting prices. I need to look over them more tonight. A few weeks ago there were some more very cheap cels that I think were fakes.

Yeah....I've meant to update that...it seems perhaps the bidder backed out...

The seller, apple_symphony, is legit....been selling cels, gengas and dougas on YJA for a long time...

As for the other cels....the seller, mkpya, has relisted them for years....no one wants to start bidding that high...They'd probably sell for about 300-600 USD on no reserve auctions....

mkpya-img600x450-1392795556qtxbj369673.j

mkpya-img600x450-1392795871y17dgg64612.j

The seller also has a few setting looking cels....I am sure they are legit....however, it sounds like they may be cels specifically done for boxart or other marketing....like this one....

gallery_12176_600_2391838.jpg

Our boy Urban is at it again. A couple of new YF-19 cels on ebay for high starting bids. This guy is becoming a black hole collector with the number of cels he has that he won't let go for a reasonable market price.

And yes, I have noticed those cels on YJ with the ridiculous starting bids reposted several times.

Yeah....I've meant to update that...it seems perhaps the bidder backed out...

The seller, apple_symphony, is legit....been selling cels, gengas and dougas on YJA for a long time...

As for the other cels....the seller, mkpya, has relisted them for years....no one wants to start bidding that high...They'd probably sell for about 300-600 USD on no reserve auctions....

mkpya-img600x450-1392795556qtxbj369673.j

mkpya-img600x450-1392795871y17dgg64612.j

The seller also has a few setting looking cels....I am sure they are legit....however, it sounds like they may be cels specifically done for boxart or other marketing....like this one....

gallery_12176_600_2391838.jpg

I've seen apple_symphony sell good cels before. I wonder if they are just an older collector or store?

The high priced cels I never noticed. Or I can't remember. Maybe they are short auctions and I just happened to miss them.

The seller that had a cel I thought was questionable was selling an Hikaru / Rick in civilian clothes pilot scene. It was a really cheap starting price. Like under $20 I think.

Our boy Urban is at it again. A couple of new YF-19 cels on ebay for high starting bids. This guy is becoming a black hole collector with the number of cels he has that he won't let go for a reasonable market price.

And yes, I have noticed those cels on YJ with the ridiculous starting bids reposted several times.

They listed a bunch of new ones. They have a good source somewhere as many of the ones I checked are stuck to paper. Which I assume means coming from an anime company or person that just stored them away to sell in the future.

I've seen apple_symphony sell good cels before. I wonder if they are just an older collector or store?

The high priced cels I never noticed. Or I can't remember. Maybe they are short auctions and I just happened to miss them.

The seller that had a cel I thought was questionable was selling an Hikaru / Rick in civilian clothes pilot scene. It was a really cheap starting price. Like under $20 I think.

They listed a bunch of new ones. They have a good source somewhere as many of the ones I checked are stuck to paper. Which I assume means coming from an anime company or person that just stored them away to sell in the future.

You mean these?

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b213311129

http://page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c562826905

Looked like fancels to me....bad ones too! :wacko:

Closed YJA Macross cel search....

http://closedsearch.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/closedsearch?ei=UTF-8&va=マクロス&oq=&slider=0&auccat=2084005356

Edited by jvmacross

Indeed those were terribly made fan reproductions and hopefully the last time appearing in the light of day. But, even with the stunningly well-made counterfeits h230525 offered back in June 16, 2016, this is a perfect example why it is prudent to practice due diligence and track sellers by being a 'student of the market'. Did you know there are actually only less than a dozen dedicated cel sellers internationally?

As many of us understand not all cel sellers are reputable or trustworthy. Some cel sellers like h230525, seek to profit solely by dumping counterfeit cels on unsuspecting buyers. It is wishful thinking sellers lacking integrity will completely stop selling counterfeit cels, or a seller like urbantreasurehunterjapan will cease his asinine price gouging practices. Some of us feel he is doing a disservice, but there are still buyers (unsuspecting or simply willfully) supporting him. At the end of the day, isn't it true these types of sellers continue to exist, dare I say even thrive, thanks to just a handful of buyers?

I would not consider urbantreasurehunterjapan a black hole collector, primarily because he is at least offering to sell the cels to the public. While his cel prices are dubious that is an entirely separate matter. In my experience a black hole cel collector does not share images of their collection; by their very nature, they hide their cels and do not share, offer to sell, or make efforts to connect with other fans.

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

Warning to all regarding ebay seller japan-vintage-store auctions #272347230057 and #282144114961 are for two highly inflated Macross TV Hikaru cels. It is unclear if this ebay seller lists items not in his possession. Check his recent feedback history for details. In the past other buyers claim he repeatedly listed items he does not own and he did not reply to communications. Additionally, these exact cels are currently available by YJA seller shimushimushimu who may or may not be the same person. Best case he is excessively price gouging ebay buyers and worse case, he is lying and will cheat you out of your monies. Caveat emptor.

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

Warning to all regarding ebay seller japan-vintage-store auctions #272347230057 and #282144114961 are for two highly inflated Macross TV Hikaru cels. It is unclear if this ebay seller lists items not in his possession. Check his recent feedback history for details. In the past other buyers claim he repeatedly listed items he does not own and he did not reply to communications. Additionally, these exact cels are currently available by YJA seller shimushimushimu who may or may not be the same person. Best case he is excessively price gouging ebay buyers and worse case, he is lying and will cheat you out of your monies. Caveat emptor.

Nice cels but completely fantasy priced....

It's funny when these YJA sellers can't sell their overpriced stuff.....so they figure some sucker on ebay will buy it for sure! :wacko:

Those are the ones. I couldn't remember the exact scene and they just looked odd.

Nice cels but completely fantasy priced....

It's funny when these YJA sellers can't sell their overpriced stuff.....so they figure some sucker on ebay will buy it for sure! :wacko:

Well not everyone checks both YJ and eBay. I guess they count on that. Also someone who just wants any Macross cel for their collection. I will say that my holding and looking for favorite scenes has made me miss a bunch that I can't believe. But I never followed those auctions to the end either. So who knows the price many of those ended up at.

There is a good Ghost in the Shell cel on eBay now for around $1000. I think they said the background is a copy though. I don't know how much you guys notice cels from other series. I post about a few here at times. You would think the older and I guess not that popular anime shows would be easier to find. I still haven't seen that many good Dirty Pair Project Eden cels. I don't think there are many people looking for that one.

Those are the ones. I couldn't remember the exact scene and they just looked odd.

Well not everyone checks both YJ and eBay. I guess they count on that. Also someone who just wants any Macross cel for their collection. I will say that my holding and looking for favorite scenes has made me miss a bunch that I can't believe. But I never followed those auctions to the end either. So who knows the price many of those ended up at.

There is a good Ghost in the Shell cel on eBay now for around $1000. I think they said the background is a copy though. I don't know how much you guys notice cels from other series. I post about a few here at times. You would think the older and I guess not that popular anime shows would be easier to find. I still haven't seen that many good Dirty Pair Project Eden cels. I don't think there are many people looking for that one.

I normally just collect Macross and do not notice cels from other shows unless they somehow come up on a Macross cel search....I do, however, appreciate cels in general....I have some Mach 5 cels....but that's about it for cels from other anime...never been able to get into any other shows....

I normally just collect Macross and do not notice cels from other shows unless they somehow come up on a Macross cel search....I do, however, appreciate cels in general....I have some Mach 5 cels....but that's about it for cels from other anime...never been able to get into any other shows....

What about at dealers, you don't take notice of other cels and prices?

This is one of the best cels of Hikaru and Minmay from the scene in DYRL that I've seen. Urbantreasurehunter has it for $1500 and open for offers. But it's again stuck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MACROSS-MOVIE-ROBOTECH-HIKARU-ICHIJYO-RICK-HUNTER-ANIME-PRODUCTION-CEL-2-/401176948950?hash=item5d680270d6:g:lJ8AAOSwIgNXv029

One of these days they are going to get something that I'll have to go after.

This is one of the best cels of Hikaru and Minmay from the scene in DYRL that I've seen. Urbantreasurehunter has it for $1500 and open for offers. But it's again stuck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MACROSS-MOVIE-ROBOTECH-HIKARU-ICHIJYO-RICK-HUNTER-ANIME-PRODUCTION-CEL-2-/401176948950?hash=item5d680270d6:g:lJ8AAOSwIgNXv029

One of these days they are going to get something that I'll have to go after.

Which means he paid 1/3 or 1/4 the listing price..... :rolleyes: