Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

Sure it is possible these could be studio promotional cels. But considering the high number of cels are from key sequences, it is unlikely all of these are promotional cels. Additionally, something worth nothing, this seller 'h230525' does not have an established history as a cel reseller or collector. In the end, the closing prices are too inflated for reproductions.

The only other possibility would be that these are studio promo cels....I think I have ever only seen one....and it did not have any frame sequence info on it either....but still....it would not be an original cel used in the actual filming of the show....I guess at that point the pricing would be totally subjective....completely based on how badly the bidder(s) wanted to own it.....

Highest seller so far....

http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/p518089060

Amazed at the prices that today's cels realized.

Regarding the possibility of these items being studio promo cels I think the point undercutting this argument is made by Fortress Maximus: the cels show no effects of their presumed age. I imagine that the studio promo cels, if they existed, would be from the same time. And should show some effects of aging.

When I looked at those cels, I was reminded about process of antiquing, which has been used by some con artists to artificially, physically "age" their goods to fit within a certain era. In this context, I found it interesting that the seller specifically mentioned that the pieces were old and then offered photography to "prove" this: splatters of paint on celluloid. Every other attribute of the piece of artwork told a different story.

While counterfeit goods are nothing new, these auctions should serve as a reminder of the financial perils that can befall a collector. Also, this is a hobby where certificates of authenticity and the ability to prove provenance is not readily available which makes this all the more problematic.

Caveat emptor.

• 4 weeks later...

The ebay seller 'production_archives' is blatantly lying by claiming those Macross cels are actual production cels. Odds are 'production_archives' is not even a cel collector, otherwise he would not have overpaid for fakes. Even if he actually believed those fake Macross cels were authentic, he clearly doesn't understand the cel marketplace. If those were authentic the prices would run far higher. In the unlikely event he actually manages to deceive a buyer into believing these fakes are genuine, he can expect to issue a full refund. Lastly, even if this seller is not 'urbantreasurehunterjapan", both sellers are price gougers and prey on the ignorance of buyers. Considering there are few cel collectors and even fewer Macross cel collectors, most buyers are aware of the unethical business practices demonstrated by both of these sellers. I feel there is absolutely no need to educate them or help them correct their mistakes, especially when they are price gouging buyers.

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

Lol, that was me. I have been having a conversation with him most of the afternoon. He has been very open minded and agreeable with the opinion that these are fan cels and was only concerned with getting it right. That is why he changed the listings. I didn't put any pressure on him to do so, just stated the case for the cel's true identity. He agreed. Seemed like a stand up guy. He also mentioned he was not the one to get them off YJ and seemingly will loose money at the prices they are now listed for on ebay. He felt a little down on himself for making the mistake, but as I said, seemed to be a stand up guy about it.

So did you guys miss this thread or just feel there is no possibility they are legit cels used in the making of this game?

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=43854

I think if there were a chance that they were at minimum a "part of Macross history" used for the creation of this game or something similar...then they would definitely have some value....I would consider buying some of them...

However, as I mentioned on a different thread....the smoking gun has not been found...

Lol, that was me. I have been having a conversation with him most of the afternoon. He has been very open minded and agreeable with the opinion that these are fan cels and was only concerned with getting it right. That is why he changed the listings. I didn't put any pressure on him to do so, just stated the case for the cel's true identity. He agreed. Seemed like a stand up guy. He also mentioned he was not the one to get them off YJ and seemingly will loose money at the prices they are now listed for on ebay. He felt a little down on himself for making the mistake, but as I said, seemed to be a stand up guy about it.

Good job! The cels are now described as possible "fan cels" in the description of the items. It is a shame that the seller was duped into spending good money on fakes.

JV: I'm not familiar with the game, but since these "cels" display crisp color and lines, I am pessimistic that they are from this product.

It's highly unlikely any of the fake cels being offered by 'production_archives' are associated with or used in the SF Challenge. All of the fake cels were from the tv series or taken from hanken monos.

So did you guys miss this thread or just feel there is no possibility they are legit cels used in the making of this game?

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=43854

I think if there were a chance that they were at minimum a "part of Macross history" used for the creation of this game or something similar...then they would definitely have some value....I would consider buying some of them...

However, as I mentioned on a different thread....the smoking gun has not been found...

It is definitely highly suspicious this ebay seller 'production_archives' uses the same font type and size as 'urbantreasurehunterjapan'. Even if 'production_archives' isn't one and the same user and if he is not lying, he is still grossly ignorant about high end cels (specifically Macross cels). It is clear he failed to conduct his own investigation on the fake YJA cel supplier/seller 'h230525', as well as the products he bought. Ebay user 'production_archives' is price gouging buyers; that's mainly why I feel contacting 'production_archives' and correcting his ignorance and mistakes does not help the buyers. Doing so does not help warn future buyers and certainly won't make the seller re-think his pump and dump modus operandi.

Mokman stated he did not buy them off YJA himself....so have to wonder who he bought them from....maybe the original buyer saw our posts about them and scrambled to find an unsuspecting US buyer.....the exchange happened really quick....UrbanTH usually flips his YJA cels purchases just as quick....

It is definitely highly suspicious this ebay seller 'production_archives' uses the same font type and size as 'urbantreasurehunterjapan'. Even if 'production_archives' isn't one and the same user and if he is not lying, he is still grossly ignorant about high end cels (specifically Macross cels). It is clear he failed to conduct his own investigation on the fake YJA cel supplier/seller 'h230525', as well as the products he bought. Ebay user 'production_archives' is price gouging buyers; that's mainly why I feel contacting 'production_archives' and correcting his ignorance and mistakes does not help the buyers. Doing so does not help warn future buyers and certainly won't make the seller re-think his pump and dump modus operandi.

No question that he is gouging buyers whether it is "urbantreasurehunter" or someone modeling his style. However, the seller has now marked the cels in the description as fan cels...Now, I do think that the seller should go a step further and put the term "fan cels" in the auction title.

Once the buyer knows it's a fan cel, can we fault the seller if they manage to realize a high price for a known commodity? Well...possibly if the fan cels can be made for $35.

Still, I think the most important thing is transparency to the buyer/public in regards to the origin and attributes of the product.

No question that he is gouging buyers whether it is "urbantreasurehunter" or someone modeling his style. However, the seller has now marked the cels in the description as fan cels...Now, I do think that the seller should go a step further and put the term "fan cels" in the auction title.

Once the buyer knows it's a fan cel, can we fault the seller if they manage to realize a high price for a known commodity? Well...possibly if the fan cels can be made for $35.

Still, I think the most important thing is transparency to the buyer/public in regards to the origin and attributes of the product.

It is a nice to educate the seller, but I do not feel it is the responsibility of buyers to do so. The onus squarely falls on the seller to accurately represent and describe their merchandise. This situation is no different than in the purchase of real property. Sellers are required to disclose all material and relevant facts that may influence a buyer's decision to purchase. Failure to disclose or misrepresenting the property condition, history, features, et al, is the sellers responsibility. Additionally, buyers do not need to inform a seller of anything discovered when they conduct their own inspection. Now buyers can choose to do so and use that information to help negotiate a more favorable offer, but again, the buyer is not responsible for educating the seller. For potential cel buyers, yes they need to know whether the merchandise they are buying is legitimate and adding 'fan cel' to the auction title can help. I still feel this seller was motivated by greed and acted out of ignorance; I find no reason to trust a seller who acts in such a manner. I will be extremely surprised if anyone buys these overpriced fakes, only time will tell.

It is a nice to educate the seller, but I do not feel it is the responsibility of buyers to do so. The onus squarely falls on the seller to accurately represent and describe their merchandise. This situation is no different than in the purchase of real property. Sellers are required to disclose all material and relevant facts that may influence a buyer's decision to purchase. Failure to disclose or misrepresenting the property condition, history, features, et al, is the sellers responsibility. Additionally, buyers do not need to inform a seller of anything discovered when they conduct their own inspection. Now buyers can choose to do so and use that information to help negotiate a more favorable offer, but again, the buyer is not responsible for educating the seller. For potential cel buyers, yes they need to know whether the merchandise they are buying is legitimate and adding 'fan cel' to the auction title can help. I still feel this seller was motivated by greed and acted out of ignorance; I find no reason to trust a seller who acts in such a manner. I will be extremely surprised if anyone buys these overpriced fakes, only time will tell.

I do agree with you on all points. In this case, an astute member of the Macross cel community (are there maybe 30 of us? :) ) was proactive and informed the seller of the listing issues. Should this have had to happen? No. The seller should have been informed and acted without third party intervention. You may very well be correct about the seller's motivations. If it were true it would be a shame.

It might be worth the sellers time to add a 'make a best offer' feature to some of the listings. By doing so, it will help reveal the price ranges buyers are actually willing to pay.

If I understand "best offers" are not revealed to third parties, so it would be anyone's guess as to the agreed upon price. A strict "buy it now" transaction or traditional open auction would reveal the price ranges. I think the $400 he's asking for the Misa "fan" cel is ridiculous.

If I understand "best offers" are not revealed to third parties, so it would be anyone's guess as to the agreed upon price. A strict "buy it now" transaction or traditional open auction would reveal the price ranges. I think the $400 he's asking for the Misa "fan" cel is ridiculous.

Good point. If a best offer was accepted the price would not be revealed to other ebay users. Since the seller is starting with BIN it will be interesting to see if any of the asking prices are met. I think he might do better with a traditional auction set up and a reserve.

Wow. I don't remember how much it sold for on YJ. I think this seller took a loss. But, the bigger takeaway is that an ebayer was willing to pay $125 for an acknowledged "fan" cel. That's scary when considering the possibility of other unacknowledged fakes out there potentially entering circulation :/

Wow. I don't remember how much it sold for on YJ. I think this seller took a loss. But, the bigger takeaway is that an ebayer was willing to pay $125 for an acknowledged "fan" cel. That's scary when considering the possibility of other unacknowledged fakes out there potentially entering circulation :/

http://page17.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v463199490 11,480 JPY

Most he has priced to match the original final auction prices....

Quamzin cel.....7050 JPY

http://page15.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t478728774

Various Minmay cels.....7500 to 76,000 JPY

http://page19.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/x450986425

http://page17.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v463199490

http://page22.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/l354443430

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r154140638

http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d195593702

http://page24.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/q120078080

Various Misa cels..........17,500 to 90,000 JPY

http://page23.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/o147604641

http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w142339685

http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p518089060

http://page15.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t477883504

http://page14.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s491761719

He is losing a major amount of money on this deal...I can only assume (if he is not lying about being the original auction winner) that he paid more than the winning bids on YJA to acquire them....even if he finds bidders for all of them...the one Misa cel will be his biggest loss....and negate all other sales...

Whoever sold him these cels knew who to dump them on quickly....they showed up on ebay 18 days after they closed on YJA.....assuming this new seller is not lying, he basically got ripped off in the process of trying to do an "urbantreasurehunter" style flip.....I'm surprised he does not try and get his money back....maybe he paid in cash.... ;)

Indeed. With this recent situation, USA ebay user 'production_archives' bought Macross cels that were too good to pass up. Unfortunately, he burned himself by excessively overpaying for counterfeit Macross cels he did not carefully research, nor understand. In terms of legal recourse, since he obtained them outside of the USA it is unlikely he can file in small claims court.

This entire situation serves as a good reminder when considering buying anime cels. As cel collectors we must conduct our own due diligence and understand to the best of our ability, the seller's history, reputation, and the authenticity of the cels offered, before committing to purchase. It also helps to become a student of the market to gain greater insight into comparable sales and identify who are reputable sellers. As we are increasingly encountering sellers purely driven by greed who price gouge, we need to protect ourselves. So, when in doubt proceed carefully, because if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Has anyone ever seen passable fakes or fan cels? I mean cels that you have zero doubt are original? Because I haven't. These Macross ones just seemed odd. The No1 and No2 codes on those Misa cels is actually funny. I don't think I've ever seen numbering like that on cels. And the majority of those cels don't even have production codes yet they aren't hankens.

I will say that I think going purely by cel fading as a sign of age sometimes isn't the best marker as don't many collectors keep their cels in cel books and not framed? If so, the chances of direct or even indirect light is very low. I've seen many recent Ghost in the Shell cels that don't show major signs of age. At least I didn't see it in the auction images.

Also the too good to be true rule can also be incorrect. Sometimes collectors sell quality cels. I think I posted it here or in the Mospeada topic about the Rook / Fuke opening cel and sketches. I can't remember my thinking at the time for not trying to win it. But now I'm thinking, what was I thinking not trying for it. As the person that owns it will probably keep it for life.

I think one thing you can say about urbantreasurehunter's cels, is that they all, or at least the ones I've considered, seem to be original. For example his Gatchaman cels. I have no doubt about those. He just over prices cels but he does have cels on sale and take offers. So that's something that has me curious about the price he is willing to let cels go. But I don't want to test offer and then have to buy a cel that I don't really want. Maybe someone else is willing?

Edited by JetJockey

Actually no one here stated you should solely rely on cel fading as a sign of aging, or more importantly, authenticity. Experienced cel collectors use multiple factors enabling them to deduce the cel authenticity. As a novice collector, consider reviewing the detailed analysis some of us provided regarding the recent round of SDFM TV cel forgeries.

I feel fortunate during my 30+ years of cel collecting I bought cels I have zero doubt are authentic. In my experience high quality Macross cels such as the recent group of well made forgeries appear infrequently. A healthy amount of skepticism is important when evaluating high end cels of that caliber. If you tracked or researched cels over the years, you are probably familiar with the counterfeits historically available. This is why it is important for buyers to identify what type of seller offer such wonderful treasures. Cel sellers typically fall into four categories: a) established dealers, b) speculators/flippers, c) blackhole/closet collectors, and d) counterfeiters. Ask yourself the following questions: 1) Which type of seller do you think consistently sells the highest volume? 2) Do you feel business longevity matters? 3) Would you be more or less willing to buy from a cel seller who has operated for over 20 years? 4) Which type of seller has the highest priced cels (sitting on dead inventory) and does not sell? 5) Do you feel price gouging is a prudent business practice? 6) Which type of seller do you think has repeat buyers? 7) And which type of seller are you more likely to trust to not sell forgeries? Odds are the majority of your answers will lead you to established cel dealers who do not price gouge.

Also, do not discount the fact most online cel sales are conducted between complete strangers. Wouldn't you agree, understanding the seller's reputation, history, experience, network, inventory, and pricing practices, can help you make an educated decision? Become a 'student of the market' and conduct your due diligence through careful research. By doing so, you may learn about a seller's reputation and other important factors. Over the years, I find the more effort I dedicate to understanding the complexities of cel collecting, it helps me determine if the seller is trustworthy.

Lastly, in the future I suggest conducting your own due diligence to increase your understanding about cels. Then the likelihood of experiencing buyers remorse, again, may decrease. Good luck.

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

Not me. I thought about it though. It made me wish I got this Minmay cel off YJ as they would go well together.

post-15104-0-35726400-1468883208_thumb.jpg

But I've always found the problem with getting something you don't really want is, as soon as you get it, what you really want comes out. But it also could mean I just need more money.

I'm getting these for cheap though with my next eBay sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIGHTY-ORBOTS-47-PAGES-OF-MODEL-SHEETS-WITH-MULTIPLE-IMAGES-/121403033387?hash=item1c442f472b:g:ajkAAOSwAYtWPhZF

Only $3.71 for 47 Pages. Too bad it looks like they never sold the originals though. I don't think there is a Mighty Orbots artbook or anything out with all this stuff. And I don't think they released a DVD in any territory.

Thanks
Fortress_Maximus

I've had framed Macross cels and genga hanging on my wall for 30+ years using just low or mid-priced frames you can buy at Michael's....nothing has ever happened to them.....the only thing to do is place them in an area that will have the minimum amount of direct sunlight/general light.....so perhaps a basement or room that you can close the blinds when not in use....

As for storage, I have the majority of them in art portfolio's that I purchased from Michael's....they are safe there, plus it makes them easy to view or show to someone....

I like your idea for display....just as long as the display can be shielded from direct sunlight....so like in a room with either no windows or decent blinds.....

For my cels, which seem to be holding up pretty well at least under my care, I usually remove them from the bag and put them into ITOYA portfolios with an acid free backing with acid free cardboard for rigidity and MicroChamber paper to prevent deterioration (which I use sparingly due to the $$). I also position the portfolios vertically to minimize pressure on the individual cels which are in a temperature controlled environment.

Edited by Oden

Excellent cel preservation and storage strategies jvmacross and oden. Thanks for sharing!

I employ a variety of cel preservation techniques with considerable success. I hope sharing our collective cel preservation and storage strategies can help other cel collectors too. Your mileage may vary.

Cel bags are replaced semi-annually and the corners are cut so fumes do not get trapped. Cels are never sealed or taped shut. All dougas, gengas, settei, and backgrounds are separately bagged and stored away in another Itoya folder. Every three months the folders are inspected for possible odors (paint fumes) or bag warping indicating vinegar syndrome. Every six months cels are also removed from the respective bags and allowed to breathe overnight. This is only done in a cool, darkened room with no ambient lighting. Also, avoid stacking cels and cel book to reduce paint cracking due to applied pressure. If space permits, hang the folder by using a sturdy wooden hanger placed into the center and have a support shelf underneath. Alternatively, the folders can be placed vertically with generous spacing between folders to reduce falling or pressure. To reduce moisture use silica packets and place in-between folders and in various corners of the storage unit. You can make small packets using kitty litter or baking soda. Also avoid storing folders in containers that are fully enclosed unless routinely inspected; the bear minimum is annually. Hanging cels in a portfolio display folder or filing cabinet works too, provided the storage unit is moisture free, climate controlled and not exposed to swings in external heat and cold. Using acid free backing cardboards with archival quality MicroChamber paper can help preserve your cels too. Experiment purchasing MicroChamber paper for more valuable cels and artwork. Lastly, all of these cel preservation strategies help, but in my experience none are full proof. Intangibles that affect the speed of deterioration include, how the cel was stored prior to purchase, the type of cel (TV vs OVA vs movie vs hanken mono), and the age. Eventually the vast majority of production cels and even hanken monos will deteriorate; I feel we are merely temporary curators for these memorable creative works.

Discuss if you have more preservation ideas or wish to share your experiences and challenges.

Still no Macross cels and haven't really gotten anything Macross/Robotech-related in years except these two items that I don't think I ever posted.

Got Tommy Yune to sketch Hikaru for me a couple years ago at a local con. Also, commissioned a sketch from Udon artist, Long Vo, at SDCC of Hikaru as well.

Got a Minmei one from Long Vo last year too but I need to go find it.

Hikaru aka Rick Hunter by Long Vo

Hikaru aka Rick Hunter by Tommy Yune

Edited by baronv