Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

I am keeping my tabs on it. I was quite surprised to see it offered with a starting bid of JPY10,000 (so low after it was offered with a starting bid of JPY150,000 last week). The seller may actually be smart to do this and get multiple bidders to drive up the price. I remember seeing that cel pop up and get snatched for a little over JPY100,000 2~3 years ago. Let's see how that one does this time. Well, if I don't win that one, I am not too disappointed since I have a similar cel that is about 1 or 2 shots around that one.

It's back at a 198,000 Yen asking price. I thought I missed out on how it ended (it was at 101,000 Yen when I was able to last check it), but it looks like the seller pulled it before it could end.

There is also a nice FB2012 cel that is up for auction too.

It seems that one finally sold, it went on and off Yahoo! Japan every so often.

There's a number of pretty good cels up right now from a particular seller/collector, though no seems to be biting even on the lower-end ones. I'm sure that Flash Back 2012 one is well worth the 180,000 minimum bid (with Misa and Minmay in the same scene!), but it's hard to get people bidding starting that high.

I was able to pick up this nice Claudia and Misa TV cel recently for a pretty nice price. It came with a few lesser quality supporting cels in the sequence, as well as the scene background.

claudiamisave1.jpg

Some of Macross TV and DYRL cels were given to the employees as gifts, some of the higher end cels and gengas are owned by the studio or the lead character designer themselves and eventually find their way to the secondary market. Some overseas collectors do sell them or trade them away over time as their priorities shift. In recent years particularly there has been less high end cels but a steady flow of lower end B and C grade cels. Also historically since the late 80s and 90s collectors and dealers alike sought out the original series and movie cels since they are rarer and arguably have better character designs and value.

Great, thanks for telling me how they work, interesting.

It's back at a 198,000 Yen asking price. I thought I missed out on how it ended (it was at 101,000 Yen when I was able to last check it), but it looks like the seller pulled it before it could end.

Actually, I thought it was sold at above 150,000 Yen. I remember bidding on it until the last minute at which point it exceeded my budget. I thought the buyer just flipped it and decided to resell. Maybe I am wrong.

It seems that one finally sold, it went on and off Yahoo! Japan every so often.

Yup, I got it. See below.

post-4522-1218185848_thumb.jpg

There's a number of pretty good cels up right now from a particular seller/collector, though no seems to be biting even on the lower-end ones. I'm sure that Flash Back 2012 one is well worth the 180,000 minimum bid (with Misa and Minmay in the same scene!), but it's hard to get people bidding starting that high.

Agreed. It is also pretty close to this other cel that I have.

post-4522-1218185905_thumb.jpg

I was able to pick up this nice Claudia and Misa TV cel recently for a pretty nice price. It came with a few lesser quality supporting cels in the sequence, as well as the scene background.

claudiamisave1.jpg

That is a very nice cel. Congratulations!

Are congratulations in order? I know Rinkya placed the winning bid on the Flash Back 2012 cel in question. I'd say this one is slightly better than your (previous) one from my point of view.

Actually, I thought it was sold at above 150,000 Yen. I remember bidding on it until the last minute at which point it exceeded my budget. I thought the buyer just flipped it and decided to resell. Maybe I am wrong.

Nope, it's the same seller. It's even the same auction ID, with my old bookmark leading to it again. Whenever, Yahoo! Japan doesn't list the auction with the "close_icon.gif" shown below and redirects to some login page instead (which it did), it usually means that the seller pulled it. And the exact auction often re-appears under the same auction ID weeks, possibly even months, later.

close_icon.gif

I'm thinking this seller is actually hesitant about letting this one go (which I can entirely understand). But, yes, starting it a low bid puts serious bidders into a different psyche in the final moments and can generate higher bids as they compete.

Yup, I got it. See below.

That is a very nice cel. Congratulations!

I had inkling this was you when I saw the Rinkya bid. Congrats, and thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Are congratulations in order? I know Rinkya placed the winning bid on the Flash Back 2012 cel in question. I'd say this one is slightly better than your (previous) one from my point of view.

Thank you very much. Yes, I ended up bidding after all and won.

post-4522-1219662414_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking this seller is actually hesitant about letting this one go (which I can entirely understand). But, yes, starting it a low bid puts serious bidders into a different psyche in the final moments and can generate higher bids as they compete.

Thanks for that info. I actually passed on that one.

I had inkling this was you when I saw the Rinkya bid. Congrats, and thanks!

Was I that obvious? Thanks again. Here's another one that I picked up.

post-4522-1219662486_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Valkyrie 13 i really like the 2nd last Misa cel you got there. :D nice!

Thanks a lot. I recently saw another one quite similar to it (probably a scene before or after the one I have) on Yahoo Japan going for a reasonable amount. It seems that the economy is hurting cel collectors just as much.

Thanks fellas, guess I'll have to pull the M+ dvd out and watch that scene then to confirm. Meanwhile, got on a cel spree lately. Here's a new one...

I AM Iron Man...

Dum, dum, dum-dum-dum, da-da-da-da-da, dum-dum-dum.

post-1065-1227417973_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice collection, guys! I haven't been here in a while... long holidays and trying to pay my taxes given my bonus had pretty much disappeared. As they say in the industry, my job is my bonus.

Anyways, once things go back on track (only God knows when), I will resume this expensive hobby of mine and also upload the cels here and RS. I promise.

• 4 months later...