baronv

Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

13 minutes ago, Bub said:

Hey, it’s already 2018!  Where are the new cels?

Hoping you can send me some leads! ^_^

1 minute ago, jvmacross said:

Hoping you can send me some leads! ^_^

I’ll see if I can send you pm in an hour.

After a long drought....adding a very unique Macross cel.....not actually used on the DYRL film, but definitely a relic of Macross history...

large.20180226_091400.jpg.47ce00c30d260b

...and so you don't have to flip your monitor! :rolleyes:

large.20180226_091342.jpg.b9d828a55a96c4

Congrats JV! How did you confirm this cel was not actually used in the DYRL production? The cel fits the sequence when Roy rotates and continuously fires the gunpod.

Again congrats on this nice addition! :)

I have been following this forum for a long while and finally took the time to signup - Hello everyone!

Really appreciate you sharing your cels and knowledge on all things Macross/Robotech etc. 

The opening theme still sends shivers down my spine and takes me back to the 80's. Love the story and the characters - watched the original Macross last year (for the first time) and was trying to piece together what got put into Robotech and what didn't ha ha. 

Further, have just bought my first cel (will share when it arrives in the post) and am also in the process of acquiring a few Douga's. Will be great to get some feedback on these ;)

Other than yahoo JPN and eBay, are there any other sources you guys recommend checking out for cels/dougas?

ATB

On 2/26/2018 at 11:33 AM, Fortress_Maximus said:

Congrats JV! How did you confirm this cel was not actually used in the DYRL production? The cel fits the sequence when Roy rotates and continuously fires the gunpod.

Again congrats on this nice addition! :)

So I finally found my blurays.....the set contains several trailers for the DYRL film....in a couple of the early trailers, there is the very iconic scene of Fokker doing his battroid barrel roll, just as seen in the actual film.....however, there is one thing missing......his trademark yellow chest stripe!.......I think this is the exact frame from the cel off of the early DYRL trailer....

medium.20180303_143827.jpg.78a410762c2b2

...if you go by the aspect ratio frame on the paper...it matches!

large.20180226_091400.jpg.47ce00c30d260b

.........so not a cel actually used in the final cut of DYRL....but still a Macross historical relic! :)

medium.20180303_144340.jpg.85dab29f43d75

Anyway....the actual sequence that ended up on the final DYRL cut did "correct" the cel error by painting in the yellow stripe.....

And here is one cel from the same sequence used in the film, with the corrected yellow stripe....

gallery_12176_600_29885.jpg

@saffabrat.....

Nice stuff...thanks for sharing and welcome to MW!  

As for where else to buy....there are a few, the biggest (most expensive) one online being Anime Link....but you may as well buy whatever you like off of YJA when you see it before they do and jack up the price!

Nice...I was thinking about grabbing some of those M7 cels on JYA....but I think I have enough M7 at the moment...

Yeah - were at a great price so could not refuse really :)

Am looking at a few more sketches - really liking these at the mo...

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/j476283208

msn6000-img450x318-1519848074oupww119050

It is a beautiful illustration....the only other "officially" published example of it comes from the Macross Gold Book....

vt1.jpeg

As you can see, it is drastically different...even though the main focal point, the Super O, is essentially the same.

Several theories were bounced around...perhaps the Gold Book one is the "rough" sketch and the one sold via YJA is the final drawing....but why use the rough one on the Gold Book?  And why has this pic not appeared anywhere else?....I do not collect the doujins of the SDFM/DYRL era, so I am wondering if the "cleaner" illustration may have appeared in one of them....any doujin collectors out there that can check their books?

The other thing about the illustration is the lack of any signature...usually Kawamori signs his work, like his lineart.  Or perhaps this one is actually drawn by Miyatake?  The illustration is very similar to his Destroid and Mecha illustrations....very "clean" and "mechanically-realistic" in execution...also there are some examples of VF-1's drawn by Miyatake to add to the posssibilty of this being a Miyatake illustration.....however, I believe he too signs his work.

The seller does not give any indication of knowing anything about the VT-1 illustration, where he got it from or who the illustrator is.

There was no way to be certain as to the legitamacy of the illustration....even so, it is awesome nonetheless!  

Any of the other Macross cel and original art collectors here have any further insights into this illustration?

And no, I did not win it, I would have liked to but not at the final price with too much uncertainty....this one got to stay in Japan I believe.....;)

On 9/21/2017 at 9:21 PM, jvmacross said:

The cels seem legit....the seller is on ebay......I'd be interested in the VF-1S if the cel was not stuck to the sketch....

Yeah... I just bought it... Lets see what its like....

Sometimes taking risks pays off....hopefully the cel is not stuck or it will not damage the sketch if removed....the seller brought down the price too so that's a good thing.....good luck

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, saffabrat said:

@saffabrat What does it look like?

@jvmacross: Saw the drawing and questioned the authenticity.  There is no reason why it should not include the additional shading if this was authentic.  Agree about the final pricing it went higher than I too think it is worth; besides not a fan of the ostrich more of the elint.  If I had to make an educated guess it is a fan version or at best a draft that never had the final touches (which to me are important).

@saffabrat And I concur with jvmacross about taking some calculated risks when collecting.  One thing I'd add is as a new collector do your best not to go into debt over a hobby, seriously.  Prioritize all of your other required expenses (retirement, housing, debts, food, maintenance, etc) and set aside monies for your fun things like hobbies; doing so will reduce the likelihood of going into debt plus collectors burning out.  Collecting artwork and particularly cels is not for everyone and especially not for the faint of heart (emotionally and financially).  Good luck!

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

15 hours ago, saffabrat said:

I remember that one and some of the posts. It's still an expensive bet with shipping unless you are over there or got a deal on the shipping too. Still post what it's like when you get it. Personally I would have gone for a few of those sketches on Yahoo Japan. I remember seeing a few good cels in the last week or so too. I had to pass on those for cels from other series and because of all the good toys coming out in the coming months.

Hey Guys,

Hope you are well - will let you know what its like when it arrives in a few weeks.

@jvmacross Got it for £240 GBP/$330 USD including delivery (which I am happy with if the cel is 1/2 decent). The seller is a nice bloke and said he would refund postage if it turned out to not be as much as estimated (think he realized asking $670 USD was a bit much haha).

@Fortress_Maximus Thanks very much for the advice - my wife most certainly agrees haha. I have put off buying this stuff for a long time (so as to avoid the aforementioned debt) and am now collecting stuff that I can potentially put up on the wall/in a visible area and enjoy (rather than filed away like some serious hoarder haha). Some people buy paintings, I like this stuff. The only anime I am really interested in is Macross/Robotech and Ghost in the Shell... Would be great to have some Warner Bros/Simpsons/Family guys stuff too but am not going to go there yet as could get nasty ugly quickly :)

@JetJockey I actually bid on a few of the items this past week (assume against a few of you guys haha) but it ended too high for me (also got pretty frustrating when the length of the auction kept on increasing). The reason I took a risk on this cel is that I currently have no Macross Mecha in my collection and to get a VS-1 (Scull Squadron) was just too tempting to pass (even if it does turn out to be a let down I still have a nice frame to put something else in haha).

On 3/8/2018 at 10:33 PM, saffabrat said:

The only anime I am really interested in is Macross/Robotech and Ghost in the Shell...

I actually bid on a few of the items this past week (assume against a few of you guys haha) but it ended too high for me (also got pretty frustrating when the length of the auction kept on increasing). The reason I took a risk on this cel is that I currently have no Macross Mecha in my collection and to get a VS-1 (Scull Squadron) was just too tempting to pass (even if it does turn out to be a let down I still have a nice frame to put something else in haha).

I like and don't like that auto extension on Yahoo Japan. It stops the snipers but also can get people to "find" extra money. I've lost auctions because of that auto extension that I thought I was going to win. Another thing, I've seen a few Yahoo Japan cel auction sellers on ebay recently. I haven't compared the prices though.

If you like Ghost in the Shell, the foil version of this Mondo poster goes for as much as good cels these days.

Ansin_GITS_foil_add_1024x1024.jpg

10 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Love auto-extension....wish ebay had it....last bid wins!

Oh so true!  Bid higher or go home.  Low bidders have zero change of winning.

Posted (edited)

8BB0B503-BA21-4E82-914C-9FAAA1FD38BF.thumb.jpeg.fa84a1198d244718dc7bbff16065a5d8.jpegHi there I would like to share my latest acquisition from JYA , a serial correction genga of Hikaru. It is said to from Ep 27, however I could not find the scene , any help is much appreciated!

4AE0733B-D600-4778-A0FF-4B16AE9E8ADD.jpeg

926101C9-5674-42B3-9BFB-DB69A80BA6CD.jpeg

BD229377-C91B-446C-8BE5-BB15BCFAA3D4.jpeg

Edited by ANTEATERNEO

Posted (edited)

On 3/17/2018 at 10:19 PM, ANTEATERNEO said:

8BB0B503-BA21-4E82-914C-9FAAA1FD38BF.thumb.jpeg.fa84a1198d244718dc7bbff16065a5d8.jpegHi there I would like to share my latest acquisition from JYA , a serial correction genga of Hikaru. It is said to from Ep 27, however I could not find the scene , any help is much appreciated!

4AE0733B-D600-4778-A0FF-4B16AE9E8ADD.jpeg

926101C9-5674-42B3-9BFB-DB69A80BA6CD.jpeg

BD229377-C91B-446C-8BE5-BB15BCFAA3D4.jpeg

Given that Hikaru looks like he is wearing something baggy/rounded around his neck, it is probably the scarf he got in episode 34. Other outfits he wore in the TV show generally had sharp collars, so this stood out to me.

macross-scarf.jpg

Edited by Shizuka the Cat
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
On 2018/3/22 at 8:26 AM, Shizuka the Cat said:

Given that Hikaru looks like he is wearing something baggy/rounded around his neck, it is probably the scarf he got in episode 34. Other outfits he wore in the TV show generally had sharp collars, so this stood out to me.

macross-scarf.jpg

A big thank you for the info, I found the possible scene in episode 34!

CC0C4697-95F6-44B5-AA5B-3D0DF5A8A686.jpeg

78489EA7-3784-4FF6-8C80-C2C829E69A58.jpeg

D7DDED3C-5930-4C87-A859-F4D312C9B23B.jpeg

B27E9BC3-1F9E-4777-BC85-D66E7F93B468.jpeg

Edited by ANTEATERNEO

Hey guys, I've seen some beautiful cels on the website here and am really wanting to buy a few Robotech Cels from episodes 1-36 Macross Saga. I don't feel like waiting 53984753 years until a descent cel is listed on eBay Rinkya or Mandrake. Please let me know if y'all have any that you want to get rid of or sell to me please. Thanks so much!!

@elrdf : hello, you want immediate decent cels, but do you have immediate decent budget ?^_^

I have a descent budget depending on which cel it is. It doesn't have to be today but I don't feel like waiting years to get a descent cel.

Ok, let's try ! what do you think is the budget to buy this king of cel with original matching background ?

qdlrdivekz_o.jpg

I'm not sure what the value of this particular one would be. I don't think this one is for sale as well. 

Thank you for trying ! Next time don't ask for decent pieces if you have any idea of the prices of the market... :)

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Well Mokuji, thank you for the kind responce. I am wanting to collect some good cels and am not 100% familiar with market prices and am VERY new to this. I would guess maybe around 1,100-1,600 maybe. I'm not sure. I'm just a really big fan and would like a few nice pieces. The ones on Ebay Rinkya and Mandarake I'm not too into.. Are you the Admin on the website or something cause by the way you respond It sure seems so!

Edited by elrdf

Can anyone help me find this cel in the show? I have looked through each episode and can't find this exact shot. Thanks so much!!

large.s-l1600.jpg.41584765781e6ede196e386781ebeb8e.jpg