baronv

Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

ultimately, it is up to the buyer to examine all of the info and make their own call on authenticity and value....for what it sold for, I am guessing others also thought it may have been a fan cel too....

Can't tell if the high bidder was a proxy or local bidder?  

I concur.  Ultimately,  the onus is on the prospective buyer to conduct their due diligence.  Hopefully whomever purchased this counterfeit cel was not deceived by the craftsmanship.   If the price was lower even I would not mind purchasing what amounts to a fan cel.

Unfortunately when YJA changed the userid tracking procedures, it stopped everyone from determining the identity of the bidding and winning party. But, if we see our good friend urbantreasurehunterjapan or another gouger offer it on ebay, we will know all we need to know,  right? 

LOL.....he will list it at 600 USD easily....then have a 5% off sale in a couple of weeks! :rolleyes:

Most likely a PC game.  The matching douga was sold years ago.  Why they failed to keep the two together is a mystery since they typically keep things together.

Possibly or could just be an honest mistake.  Who knows?  Suppose it really doesn't matter now since it is being offered.  Wonder if the previous owner will pick this up.  Are you interested in this?

13 hours ago, jvmacross said:

ultimately, it is up to the buyer to examine all of the info and make their own call on authenticity and value....for what it sold for, I am guessing others also thought it may have been a fan cel too....

Can't tell if the high bidder was a proxy or local bidder?  

I tend to put more weight on the seller when dealing with used and items of this sort. They are the ones who purchased it originally and are in possession of the cel or whatever item. Maybe if the seller is selling for someone else. But then they should still check to see the value of what they are selling and know something about what the item is. To have a good auction between two parties that are individuals there should be open and complete communication about the item with as much detail as possible.

The price of that Minmay auction says fan cel. And it looks like some of those you guys posted some pages back. Still it went for too much. I would put my money towards a sketch. I've never seen a cel not match what is on screen. That doesn't make sense unless it was some unknown cut sequence.

I think I'm going to deal with Urban Treasure Hunter, they found something I might want. I never saw it on Yahoo Japan either. But I have to confirm it this weekend.

On 10/7/2017 at 9:30 AM, JetJockey said:

I think I'm going to deal with Urban Treasure Hunter, they found something I might want. I never saw it on Yahoo Japan either. But I have to confirm it this weekend.

Go for it.... if you have the budget.... while they are not cheap, I think his stuff is good (since most of it is YJA curated anyways) haha

Many of us feel buying from deadbeat scalpers like urbantreasurehunterjapan only encourages them to prey on collectors and the public.  It is a vicious cycle whenever someone buys anything from scalpers.  Prospective buyers have two main choices, you can choose to a) help their business grow by buying from them, or b) remove a purchase from their business and effectively voice your dissent.  The choice is always yours.

10 hours ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

Many of us feel buying from deadbeat scalpers like urbantreasurehunterjapan only encourages them to prey on collectors and the public.  It is a vicious cycle whenever someone buys anything from scalpers.  Prospective buyers have two main choices, you can choose to a) help their business grow by buying from them, or b) remove a purchase from their business and effectively voice your dissent.  The choice is always yours.

Don't forget the best choice.....buy the cel when it is first listed on YJA so you don't have to pay his ludicrous "finder's fee"! ;)

I concur jvmacross!  I've often suggested buying directly from overseas sources like YJA, but some feel the collectors and public may not be aware of such resources.

We've previously discussed ways to identify and avoid counterfeit cels (aka fakes, commission, fan-made, reproductions, etc), but let's also discuss how counterfeit drawings also exist.   What are other collectors experiences regarding shikishis (aka artboards typically used for original sketches in JP)?  Typically I've encountered counterfeit shikishis being offered as authentic mainly by less established YJA sellers who also are not dealers.  I've previously asked, do others feel it is important that a seller has business longevity?  Does it matter to you if the seller has established contacts and sells original artworks obtained from the artists themselves?  And lastly, what type of seller do you think is more likely to attempt to sell (knowingly or unknowingly) counterfeit cels and original artworks? 

So on that note, as a warning to shikishi collectors it is in your best interest to avoid YJA user m4a12011 https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/seller/m4a12011?ngram=1  This is one of many counterfeit sellers on YJA.  

Hi guys:

This is my first post. I've recently found this seller apple_symphony_xx who is offering Marcross Sketch of Minmay on JYA

Does this seems legit to you?

http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/h284921525

At just 5000 yen, it seems to be GREAT value at the price he offered even if it does not come with cel.

Any comments are appreciated.

Regards

Ken

842x612-2017100200005.jpg

13 hours ago, ANTEATERNEO said:

Hi guys:

This is my first post. I've recently found this seller apple_symphony_xx who is offering Marcross Sketch of Minmay on JYA

Does this seems legit to you?

http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/h284921525

At just 5000 yen, it seems to be GREAT value at the price he offered even if it does not come with cel.

Any comments are appreciated.

Regards

Ken

842x612-2017100200005.jpg

That seller is legit....he's been trying to sell the same gengas for a while....guess most collectors are all about the cels....

7 hours ago, jvmacross said:

That seller is legit....he's been trying to sell the same gengas for a while....guess most collectors are all about the cels....

Hmmm this seems kind of the going rate for these genga..... there are a few different posts for about this price per piece.... and as the detail increase seems the costs also go up...

http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/h284921509

32 minutes ago, juice14 said:

Hmmm this seems kind of the going rate for these genga..... there are a few different posts for about this price per piece.... and as the detail increase seems the costs also go up...

http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/h284921509

Yes, I've noticed. It starts from 4000 yen and goes up toward 25000 and beyond. Nevertheless, at nice and mostly importantly a legit genga of Minmay or Misa at 5000 yen for me is great value as "one of the kind" souvenir. Quite a bargain!   

I've had no problems with them on both cels and sketches. They usually have some of the better selections on Yahoo Japan that I've seen.

On 10/13/2017 at 2:59 PM, Fortress_Maximus said:

We've previously discussed ways to identify and avoid counterfeit cels (aka fakes, commission, fan-made, reproductions, etc), but let's also discuss how counterfeit drawings also exist.   What are other collectors experiences regarding shikishis (aka artboards typically used for original sketches in JP)?  Typically I've encountered counterfeit shikishis being offered as authentic mainly by less established YJA sellers who also are not dealers.  I've previously asked, do others feel it is important that a seller has business longevity?  Does it matter to you if the seller has established contacts and sells original artworks obtained from the artists themselves?  And lastly, what type of seller do you think is more likely to attempt to sell (knowingly or unknowingly) counterfeit cels and original artworks? 

So on that note, as a warning to shikishi collectors it is in your best interest to avoid YJA user m4a12011 https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/seller/m4a12011?ngram=1  This is one of many counterfeit sellers on YJA.  

Not really into the shikishi collecting...but I have also seen this seller: https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/show/rating?userID=art_sukisuki2012

Have you had any dealings with this seller?  Is this seller legit?  Personally, I'd rather buy from a collector than someone specifically in the market selling these types of items. I guess it just feels better that the cel or artwork is going from one fan to another.

What about this seller?

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v520754238

Anyway, I only have one "shikishi"....and it is the one shikishi to rule them all....so I'm good....8)

gallery_12176_600_1709367.jpg

No dealings with YJA user art_sukisuki2012.  Once he reposts some items I can confirm if he lists counterfeits.  Researched jeet_kun_do1972 some of his items are authentic.  But need to examine specific listings to confirm if he deals with counterfeits like YJA user m4a12011.

Your shikishi by Tenjin is quite impressive, congratulations on obtaining it.

Any of you guys deal with Viviere on ebay before? They have this Rook cel up for $370.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anime-Macross-Robotech-New-Generation-cel-6/332451509327?hash=item4d67a7744f:g:kSgAAOSwl9RaDRG2

5a0d51ee94ee7_RookCel.jpg.3645c0ab8efbb2a240c58180cb38be29.jpg

I'm sure I've seen this scene before perhaps once or twice but I need to search my files. They might be another flipper. They have a few Macross cels and other anime items up as well. One negative feedback from a buyer says they were "deceived" so I'm not jumping to deal with them.

@JetJockey Solid sellers, dealt with them before.  As stated in their auctions they sell items on consignment.  The negative feedback means very little considering you do not know the facts or the details involving the transaction.  In my experience it is prudent to refrain from jumping to unsubstantiated conclusions.  Bottom line, one negative means nothing considering this seller has been around for well over a decade.  Your mileage may vary but bad buyers and sellers disappear far quicker than this sellers longevity.

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

I searched my files for that Rook cel and this Viviere seller on ebay is in the same league as UrbanTreasureHunter if not worse. I noted on the file name that the same, if not similar, Rook cel sold for 4400 Yen. Today that's basically $40. So Viviere marked this up by $330! Give me a break. This guy is flipper central. At least UrbanTreasureHunter puts his cels on sale for 25% off and even goes lower via offers. Add in Viviere's negative feedback and other instances that I see when going over their feedback that's more than a year old. And you have a seller I won't deal with unless they get something really good.

Edited by JetJockey

13 minutes ago, JetJockey said:

At least UrbanTreasureHunter puts his cels on sale for 25% off and even goes lower via offers.

25% off of triple (at minimum) the final YJA final auction sale price?

Did you type that up with a straight face?  LOL....I 

17 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

25% off of triple (at minimum) the final YJA final auction sale price?

Did you type that up with a straight face?  LOL....I 

Of course I did. I passed on getting one of UrbanTreasureHunter's cels. Another Rook one. I decided to get the VF-31C, some other stuff, and wait for the Mospeada items next year. But UrbanTreasureHunter has yet to get a cel that I really want. I did meet another collector that purchased from UrbanTreasureHunter that's why I know some stuff about their auctions. And triple is nothing compared to what that Viviere Rook cel is priced at. And they don't seem open to offers going by their auction setup. But perhaps I will ask and see. The price is so insulting to start that I doubt they will offer down to $100 which is where it should be maximum.

Asinine analysis underscored by petulance and an entitlement mindset.  Do you understand how consignment operates?  The fact is even if a consignment seller wants to price an item lower it is not their decision because owners dictate minimum pricing requirements.  Whereas urbantreasurehunterjapan does not sell items for collectors; they own everything they resell and they alone dictate the list price.  Your esteemed urbantreasurehunterjapan mark up all items for well over 200%, then offer their magnanimous 25% discount.  Real examples are these two Flashback cels https://www.ebay.com/itm/MACROSS-FLASHBACK-ROBOTECH-LYNN-MINMAY-ANIME-PRODUCTION-CEL-3/401008042919?hash=item5d5df123a7:g:3fMAAOSwA4dWF3Yh and https://www.ebay.com/itm/MACROSS-FLASHBACK-ROBOTECH-LYNN-MINMAY-ANIME-PRODUCTION-CEL-2/401008042316?hash=item5d5df1214c:g:RREAAOSwT5tWF3We . The two cels were offered in one auction that sold for less than $700 USD.  As the epitome of a scalper, urbantreasurehunterjapan true to form lists each cel on ebay separately for $1,199.99 and $974.99.  Unsurprisingly these two cels remain unsold as do the majority of their items primarily due to their listing practices.  It would behoove you to learn how to objectively research facts and not rely on anecdotal evidence.

Edited by Fortress_Maximus