Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

nice. Orguss cell. Good job. How much did you pay for that one? I saw one of the actual orguss robot, but I passed it up since I had no more money. It was only 50 bucks! dang it. Well I hope I can find it again this year at comic con! I haven't bought any new cells lately due to all the new toys coming out. Oh well.

Thanks, BoBe-Patt. It was ~30 odd bucks. There's a sketch with it, but it's offset a little and stuck to the cel. Does anybody have any advice for un-sticking it? Or is it a lost cause?

Now comes the fun part - rewatching Orguss so that I can find where it was used. Knowing Orguss, it'll probably show up in about 2/3rds of the episodes :lol:

If the sketch is truly stuck to the cel, then just leave it. Prying it apart will just make the cel look weird with the loose paper and the sketch will pretty much be destroyed and worthless. I learned my lesson trying to take a sketch apart when I got into cels and obliterated a nice sketch prying it off.

If you do want to try anyways, here a link that I started on Rubberslug about peeling cels apart.

If the sketch is truly stuck to the cel, then just leave it. Prying it apart will just make the cel look weird with the loose paper and the sketch will pretty much be destroyed and worthless. I learned my lesson trying to take a sketch apart when I got into cels and obliterated a nice sketch prying it off.

If you do want to try anyways, here a link that I started on Rubberslug about peeling cels apart.

WOW! Thanks baronv, great information. Much appreciated!

If anyone is interested Mandarake has a Milia TV filght suit close up currently on offer in their auction section.

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/itemInf...001537060100002

That`ll fly out of the door I recon. although 40,000Y may be a bit steap though for most peoples tastes.

Edited by big F

Almost forgot about this thread :p Recently I picked up two new DYRL cels (Hikaru and one of Misa) and one Escaflowne Movie cel of Escaflowne.

It is about time Mokman and Daniel that you guys came over here from RS! :) Now we need the other Macross peeps from RS here as well., spread the word.

Oh big F that IS a reasonably priced DYRL cel of Millia. The only thing is there are few MW collectors who are hardcore cel collectors and that is a good thing b/c it would just mean more competition. :p

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

LOL, thanks for the kind welcome Fortress Maximus. I don't see a gallery of yours there on RS, do I? I would be interested to see what your collection looks like as well. I will be updating some very nice quality sketches in the next week or two (I don't like posting pictures of things I have not yet received in the mail so you all will just have to wait).

Hello,

it's a long time i've not been here ^^ Thanks for the kind words Fortress Maximus

I saw that cel but i really think that price is a bit too much for it...

Recently a lot of nice drawing was on yahoo japan, price was high as always now...

I have added a few things on my gallery but i lack real update alas :s

Here's the only cel I have from roughly the same age as Macross. Most of my cels are from newer series. Perhaps someday I'll find one of Voltron to go with it. (Came close once on a really nice one, but got there just a little too late.)

Edited by cschell

Dude, Mokman....don't you ever stop!!!!!! I never knew those re-pro DYRL cels were limited to only 100 sets, that's good to know.

It's pretty wild that YJ has a lot of Macross sketches popping up these days, if only I had disposable income again.

Oh you did, the 250 is for the set.

Yes I payed about $250 for the both of them through an auction site (no one else bid). I did not add in the shipping costs from Japan which were somewhat considerable because the cels are framed and kind of heavy.

By the way, can any identify the source of the Minmei cel ? It is obviously supposed to be from the end scene of DYRL when Minmei finishes singing and raises the note with the song lyrics on it but the style of the artwork seems to be a little different to me. The Hikaru cel from the set is from a game cut scene so I would think the Minmei cel is also but I was not able to find it anywhere. Well in the videos on Youtube at least.

Here are the cels for those who did not see them in my Rubberslug gallery.

post-3622-1209583580_thumb.jpg

post-3622-1209583597_thumb.jpg

Mokman, I would guestimate the Minmay cel based on character design is a repro -intended to match- the newer style in the game since the DYRL style is dated and not as popular with new fans. I never did understand why they didn't create repros from DYRL or FB but at least these exist. Nice find last I saw the set on domestic soil was at AX 2006 for a bit more than that price.

I agree the cel shows an updated style to the character design. My question though is which game and scene was the cel made from if indeed it is from a video game like the Hikaru cel is. The cel is dated 1997 so the source cannot be newer than then.

I agree the cel shows an updated style to the character design. My question though is which game and scene was the cel made from if indeed it is from a video game like the Hikaru cel is. The cel is dated 1997 so the source cannot be newer than then.

The game is the Macross DYRL game for Playstation?

Edited by ComicKaze